Question/Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question/Need Advice

Scenario: My little brother is being discharged from the Army and is coming to visit with his wife and new baby. He really wants to go to a Broncos game. His wife, however was super bummed that she would have to stay home with the baby while we went. She said she really wanted to come and thought it would be fine to bring her baby to the game.

Question: Has anyone brought a really young (1.5yo) baby to a game before? Thoughts? Do you think it would be OK/Safe?

My view of it was kind of like bringing a baby to a rowdy bar (something most people wouldn't do) and I'm feeling uneasy about it, but my brother's wife said she thought it would be totally fine and that her baby would probably find it "fun and stimulating."

I've been to a bunch of Broncos games. I don't think I've ever seen a baby and personally wouldn't bring a baby to one, but maybe that is just my inexperience/non-parent thought process? I'm interested in hearing other's experience.

They don't have baby sitters where you live?
    sigpic

Comment

Eh, I don't know of any. I'm the only family he has here. My wife and I don't do kids... so I have no idea where I'd even look for that. Sounds like that is a "No." Which is what I figured. I'll let him know that the game is probably not a good idea.

Comment

You could do it. At a Broncos game any child under 2 years of age doesn't require a ticket. If you do it, make sure you bring the baby some hearing protection. I think it may be difficult to do it. But if you're heart is set on it, it is possible. I would say someone or multiple people are going to miss a lot of the game due to the baby needing food, diaper changes and the like.

I think it also depends on the temperament of the baby. Some babies are used to loud situations and the such. It's totally your choice, but it is possible.
        sigpic
        2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Baby, gravol, and ear muffs for it!

Sleep,through the whole game!

:thumb:
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
            You could do it. At a Broncos game any child under 2 years of age doesn't require a ticket. If you do it, make sure you bring the baby some hearing protection. I think it may be difficult to do it. But if you're heart is set on it, it is possible. I would say someone or multiple people are going to miss a lot of the game due to the baby needing food, diaper changes and the like.

I think it also depends on the temperament of the baby. Some babies are used to loud situations and the such. It's totally your choice, but it is possible.
            This!!! Totally depends on the baby

My little guy did monster jam this year at 3 and loved it. I loved it too.

Also makes me think of the bobs burgers episode where bob takes gene to the laser light show
            Last edited by armedequation; 06-15-2018, 09:31 PM.
            Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post

I agree with Jake. It's doable. If I had the chance to see the Broncos at home, I would make it work.

There might be drinking around you, but I would think most people would be careful with a baby nearby.

Just to let you know, I'm a mom and I see nothing wrong with taking a young child to a game. If you wanted to find a sitter, you could ask friends that have kids if they could recommend anyone. There's also an app that has a list of certified sitters. Can't remember the name. Not sure if I would use it, though. Some parents don't like leaving their kids with someone outside of the family.
              Administrator

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

I can’t remember as it’s been years, but is there a family section? I know some stadiums
                Have that if that’s something you are interested in as it might be a little less rowdy.

Comment

Of course it is “doable” but why force the issue?

The worry, pampering and distraction seems like more trouble then it should be. Mom and Dad need a night out to have a beer and scream their lungs out at a Bronco win.

You have at least 2-3 mos to find a sitter you can trust. Make it happen and enjoy the game.

Thank your brother for his service for me.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                    Of course it is “doable” but why force the issue?

The worry, pampering and distraction seems like more trouble then it should be. Mom and Dad need a night out to have a beer and scream their lungs out at a Bronco win.

You have at least 2-3 mos to find a sitter you can trust. Make it happen and enjoy the game.

Thank your brother for his service for me.
                    I agree. A sitter would make it a lot less stressful and more enjoyable. But, if the choices (and that's what it sounded like in the OP) are between the mom staying home with the baby or the baby going so that the mom can go, I'm all for the mom going. Why should the mom stay home and miss out on the fun? Hopefully, they'll find a sitter and it'll all work out.
                    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                      I agree. A sitter would make it a lot less stressful and more enjoyable. But, if the choices (and that's what it sounded like in the OP) are between the mom staying home with the baby or the baby going so that the mom can go, I'm all for the mom going. Why should the mom stay home and miss out on the fun? Hopefully, they'll find a sitter and it'll all work out.
                      I am suggesting they strongly consider a third option is all. My kids are all teenagers now but I still remember those struggles/ joys of those early days.

How much “fun” will Mom and Dad actually be having?

Most of the time will be spent attending to the needs of the baby, being hyper vigilant in the crowds or if the baby is fussy could spend the time walking on the concourse or grinding over the decision to leave early.

Maybe just my kids but I do not remember too many baby moments where they slept or happily cooed at the world of events ( sporting, musical, weddings) for a couple hours as my wife and I had fun.

Parents need breaks to recharge their batteries. To relax have a beer and enjoy being with other adults enjoying the moment. How many moments have they had inthe last year and a half?

Just one guys opinion but find a sitter you can trust , try to push aside rhe worry and guilt all parents feel when they leave their kids home and enjoy the game. Baby will be fine when you get home.

To be completely honest, my wife and I struggled with this “advice” too. It is tough being a parent. Even if they do find a sitter there will likely be multiple times they “wonder how baby is doing” and possibly phone calls every quarter. 😀
                      Last edited by FR Tim; 06-20-2018, 06:30 AM.

Comment

You have to take the kid!! And make sure you take lots of pictures of the child in Broncos gear too....start the brain wash now!! 😂

Comment

I did it with both of my kids. If you know your kid and think YOU can handle it, you’ll be fine.

Comment

All good advice! Thanks everyone for contributing. The dos and don'ts of parenting are definitely foreign to me since my wife and I don't have any.

I was looking at tickets on Monday and had no idea that regular season was $200+ for nose-bleeds. I guess I always had gotten discounts from friends that were season ticket-holders. Brother wasn't comfortable spending that much on a ticket and as much as I'd like to, I can't afford to pay for 5 tickets at 200 a pop.

So, problem solved! We'll just have to party at the house and watch it on the big screen

Comment

Take him to some local games, like H.S. football or college to get him/her acclimated and things figured out. Maybe feed them right before the game, then they may sleep through some of it?
                              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.

Comment

Working...
                              X