Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SD & Marshall

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SD & Marshall

    So, Bolt fans, would you give up a 1st for Marshall?

    If I was a Bolt fan, I would be chomping at the bits for this.

    It would hurt the Broncos by taking away the only true threat on offense. All others are decent skilled players, but Marshall is the only player who makes you hold your breath.

    He very well could be the missing piece to take your team over the top. Rivers to Marshall would be unstopable. And I do believe Rivers won't throw bubble screens to him, making him earn all yards after the catch.
    Marshall will be double teamed and will free up your other receivers too, so they all should gain more yards.

    Marshall, would love to play the Broncos twice a year. And you guys would love to throw it in our face.

    So, all you need to do, is clamor enough on your forums and talk shows. And perhaps, your coach can fleece JmD into a foolish trade.

  • #2
    Originally posted by gorky View Post
    So, Bolt fans, would you give up a 1st for Marshall?

    If I was a Bolt fan, I would be chomping at the bits for this.

    It would hurt the Broncos by taking away the only true threat on offense.
    If I were a coach, I'd take a very close look at Gaffney's career day when Marshall was benched last year, as he ran the exact same routes as Marshall did and had similar productivity before I proclaimed that Marshall was fully responsible for everything good that offense did.

    All others are decent skilled players, but Marshall is the only player who makes you hold your breath.
    He's certainly the number 1 in this system. I also see evidence that the system would make many WRs look pretty good.

    And I do believe Rivers won't throw bubble screens to him, making him earn all yards after the catch.
    Then you'd be screwed, because Brandon Marshall is not now nor has he ever been a deep pass receiver. He's not that fast and he runs crappy routs. That's how he's always been. He has always been noted for his ability to run after the catch, not to get over the top and burn people.

    Marshall will be double teamed and will free up your other receivers too, so they all should gain more yards.
    If he wasn't double-teamed in Denver, what makes you think he'd be double-teamed in San Diego?

    So, all you need to do, is clamor enough on your forums and talk shows. And perhaps, your coach can fleece JmD into a foolish trade.
    We drafted Marshall for a fourth. He's one unfortunate incident of luck from a year's suspension. He hasn't exactly been great for team spirit. I don't entirely agree that getting a first for him is such a bad deal - I certainly would prefer Seattle's, however.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Alastor View Post
      If I were a coach, I'd take a very close look at Gaffney's career day when Marshall was benched last year, as he ran the exact same routes as Marshall did and had similar productivity before I proclaimed that Marshall was fully responsible for everything good that offense did.
      You make it sound like the Chiefs have a good defense in that last game of the season. What did Marshall do against Indy, Dallas, and New England. I think he's gone, but him and Houshmanzadeh will be very hard to deal with. And if you think Gaffney is gonna be half the receiver that Marshall was, you are blind.
      What was the final score of that Chiefs-Broncos game where Gaffney played so well. Didn't we get blown out or something?
      Marshall was this teams redzone offense this year, without him (which is more than likely) we are gonna need to do a lot to score points.
      sigpic

      Champ Bailey in 2005
      30 times thrown at, 10 interceptions, 10 receptions, 10 incompletions

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by OrangeBlueCrew View Post
        You make it sound like the Chiefs have a good defense in that last game of the season.
        That's a fair point. It was the Chiefs.

        By the same token, it was Gaffney - and many on here (including you if I recall right - I may be mistaken though so feel free to correct that) would argue that Orton is retarded.

        With those things in mind, something tells me this system is set up such that the primary receiver gets a lot of opportunities. Maybe it's not all just because of the receiver. Evidence suggests there's something else going on here too.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Alastor View Post
          That's a fair point. It was the Chiefs.

          By the same token, it was Gaffney - and many on here (including you if I recall right - I may be mistaken though so feel free to correct that) would argue that Orton is retarded.

          With those things in mind, something tells me this system is set up such that the primary receiver gets a lot of opportunities. Marshall is Marshall. But Gaffney is Gaffney. Maybe this isn't all just because of the receiver. Evidence suggests there's something else going on here too.
          No man, I really don't hate McD and Orton. In fact, I respect the hell out of Orton for coming in with unreal expectations and doing exactly what was asked of him. He did his job, and I'm very impressed, but the problem is that our O-line and D was just not good enough to win with him. I guess that's where my frustration comes with Josh. I was at that last game, and I have never felt so sick before. Sure it was nice seeing Gaffney play well, but again we really missed out on that big body in the redzone.

          I get your point completely, I just really hope we make some big moves if we lose Marshall to start putting points on the board. We really do need that home run hitter somewhere in our offense.
          sigpic

          Champ Bailey in 2005
          30 times thrown at, 10 interceptions, 10 receptions, 10 incompletions

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by OrangeBlueCrew View Post
            No man, I really don't hate McD and Orton. In fact, I respect the hell out of Orton for coming in with unreal expectations and doing exactly what was asked of him. He did his job, and I'm very impressed, but the problem is that our O-line and D was just not good enough to win with him.
            My apologies for the error on my part. Thanks for clarifying.

            I guess that's where my frustration comes with Josh. I was at that last game, and I have never felt so sick before. Sure it was nice seeing Gaffney play well, but again we really missed out on that big body in the redzone.
            If the O-line does its job worth a crap, they can't drop 6 back to cover the receivers. Then everyone is a big target.

            I get your point completely, I just really hope we make some big moves if we lose Marshall to start putting points on the board. We really do need that home run hitter somewhere in our offense.
            Well, Royal doesn't suck. Scheffler doesn't either. Moreno showed a lot of potential though that remains mere potential.

            I'd like to see our offense perform better too. If that means we keep Marshall, so be it. If that means we let him go, so be that as well.

            I'm just not all that worried about Marshall wearing a Chargers uniform in exchange for a first. It's not ideal, but I don't think I'd hate it forever either.

            Comment


            • #7
              Ya, there is no way we let Marshall go to the Chargers. I am just interested to see how the draft plays out. Free agency, I don't think will be a big splash which is okay. It's important to improve our depth, and if our big names do leave we will be able to bolster our roster with picks (even if that includes trading down for more picks). However, I really feel like Josh is running out of time, and needs to do something big. Shanny was 24-24 in his last three years and thats why he got fired. If you are Josh, you can't really justify progress without something close to 8 wins this year, which still only puts you at 16-16 (a continuation of the mediocrity).
              sigpic

              Champ Bailey in 2005
              30 times thrown at, 10 interceptions, 10 receptions, 10 incompletions

              Comment


              • #8
                AJ would never do it and I wouldn't want him to.

                We have VJ who is young and better. The scary thing is I think Floyd is our best WR and given the opportunity could be top 3 in the NFL. But Floyd is a tad bit older, I believe 28 or 29.

                Even if we could get Andre Johnson for a 1st or Fitz I wouldn't do it.


                I want that 1st used on Best, Dwyer or Matthews. Then in the 2nd get Terrance Cody then in the 3rd pick up Blount in the 4th get Selvish Capers or best available RT prospect. Then in the 5th get a CB, this class is CB deep, deepest ever prolly.


                I'd do Marshall for a 3rd this year and 3rd next year. Or a 5th this year and 2nd next year.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ChargersDivison View Post
                  AJ would never do it and I wouldn't want him to.

                  We have VJ who is young and better. The scary thing is I think Floyd is our best WR and given the opportunity could be top 3 in the NFL. But Floyd is a tad bit older, I believe 28 or 29.

                  Even if we could get Andre Johnson for a 1st or Fitz I wouldn't do it.


                  I want that 1st used on Best, Dwyer or Matthews. Then in the 2nd get Terrance Cody then in the 3rd pick up Blount in the 4th get Selvish Capers or best available RT prospect. Then in the 5th get a CB, this class is CB deep, deepest ever prolly.


                  I'd do Marshall for a 3rd this year and 3rd next year. Or a 5th this year and 2nd next year.
                  I'd do Nate Kaeding for Cash Considerations.
                  sigpic

                  Champ Bailey in 2005
                  30 times thrown at, 10 interceptions, 10 receptions, 10 incompletions

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by OrangeBlueCrew View Post
                    I'd do Nate Kaeding for Cash Considerations.
                    You'd do Nate for money?? How would you do him?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Please explain to me how you came to the conclusion that VJ is better than Marshall. Maybe I misunderstood the stats but they do seem to favor Marshall.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Jer_ber73 View Post
                        Please explain to me how you came to the conclusion that VJ is better than Marshall. Maybe I misunderstood the stats but they do seem to favor Marshall.
                        VJ had more yds, higher avg, higher catch%, higher 1st down %, more 1st downs, 1 less td's with nearly 40 less receptions.


                        Marshall just gets force fed abunch of 3 yd passes and 1 to 0 yd bubble screens.


                        VJ earns his yds.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ChargersDivison View Post

                          We have VJ who is young and better.
                          ChargerDivision, I would like to disagree with you but
                          I wanted WR V. Jackson in a Bronco uniform. I hoped
                          we would have drafted him. With this expreseed, I
                          would rather have VJ over BM. In my opion VJ is a faster
                          version BM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                            That's a fair point. It was the Chiefs.

                            By the same token, it was Gaffney - and many on here (including you if I recall right - I may be mistaken though so feel free to correct that) would argue that Orton is retarded.

                            With those things in mind, something tells me this system is set up such that the primary receiver gets a lot of opportunities. Maybe it's not all just because of the receiver. Evidence suggests there's something else going on here too.
                            Right... that explains why Marshall finally had his breakout this year... he was such a bust before.
                            Thanks, Reid!
                            sigpic
                            Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                              Right... that explains why Marshall finally had his breakout this year... he was such a bust before.
                              Fair point.

                              At the same time he's had his share of issues if we're going to talk about past years. Led the league in drops. Led the league in offensive penalties. Led the league in fumbles. Tied for the league lead in fumbles given up...

                              Also, Shanahan runs a VERY quarterback friendly offense - which is inherently WR friendly.

                              We were also constantly trying to score points (consequences be damned) because our defense sucked butt.

                              Those things factor in as well.

                              Unless someone really wants to argue that Gaffney is the kind of receiver that should have a 190 yard game (I don't care if it's against the Chiefs or not) then we have to at some stage point out that he was running Marshall's routs in the exact same system Marshall was.

                              Either Marshall is benefiting from the system to some degree, or Gaffney is apparently headed for the Pro Bowl.

                              At the end of the day, the fact remains that when Gaffney took Marshall's place, Gaffney put up amazing numbers as well.

                              Marshall may very well be all that and a bag of chips - the system he's playing in makes him look better than he actually is though as well. To what extent would be hard to estimate, but that the system is indeed helping to make him look good can't really be disputed.

                              Unless of course, you really do think Gaffney is headed to the Pro Bowl.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X