Jamal Williams joins Denver's defensive line makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChargersDivison View Post
    This brilliant prediction is based on what exactly. Since we hear this every year.

Because Oak, KC and Den are gonna FINALLY get better??
    You think all 3 teams will stay down forever?
    Tick tock, tick tock... you're grip on the division is running out.

So you'll just be called: ChargersInTheDivision.

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
      Here's how I believe the defensive line will shake out for 2010:

LDE- Justin Bannan, Marcus Thomas

NT- Jamal Williams, Ronald Fields, Chris Baker

RDE- Ryan McBean, Jarvis Green

I can easily see Marcus Thomas getting cut if he doesn't do well at defensive end. I still think it was a waste of his talent to make him the backup Nose Tackle for 2009, but we didn't have another option for Nose Tackle. I hope they make the correct decision and slide him over to Defensive End this offseason. If Marcus Thomas is removed, I would fully expect us to draft a rookie to replace him in the rotation, or re-sign Holliday.

Ryan McBean was a beast of a Defensive End in 2009 until he sprained his knee ligament vs. Baltimore. I have him starting over Jarvis Green only because Jarvis Green is horrible when he has to be relied on to start 16 games. The stats don't lie.
      Jarvis Green has severely declined as he's been relied on more and more to be a starter. With Richard Seymour shipped out, it thrusted Green into a full-time role. He struggled big time. As a nickel rushing Defensive End here in Denver, he may regain his pass-rusher form that saw him tally up 7.5 and 6.5 sacks in 2006 and 2007 at the 3-4 defensive end position.

Another option I could see shaping up is if they move Ronald Fields to Defensive End. He started a few games for San Francisco as a 3-4 defensive end. He doesn't offer much, if any, pass rushing ability as an end, but he would solidify our rush defense as one of the strongest in the entire NFL.

Tell me what you think :salute!:
      I agree with it all but i think we cut Thomas and draft a rookie or re-sign Holliday. McBean was a beast until his injury, our depth was crap other then Vonnie last year and he should do well. I like Green, but hes better on 3rd down, but it wouldnt surprise me if he starts with what we payed him. Looks good, much better then last years, thats for sure. :go:

Comment

Originally posted by gorky View Post

Not to be rude and correct you but i believe it would be

ChargersInTheDivison He spelled his own name wrong and he'd probably do it again

Comment

Originally posted by McSmashie View Post
          I truly hope Thomas is gone. I really have no use for that guy.

I agree that Green isnt going to play full time. I, personally, would LOVE to see a heavy rotation. It is was 50/50 on the snaps down the line, I would not be sad at all.

Curious though, IF Ronnie slides to end, do you have Baker being the backup/rotational NT?

I was actually thinking the opposite. I would like to see Baker go outside.
          I would go either or. I like Marcus Thomas as a defensive end, but he was useless as a Nose Tackle.

IF Ronnie slides to end, I could see Chris Baker getting in there. I really hope he gets some work in the rotation this season. He showed a lot of potential during preseason. As far as him rotating in as a defensive end, I wouldn't rule that out either. He played some defensive end at Hampton if I'm not mistaken.

The best part with the majority of our defensive lineman is how versatile they all are, which makes it that much more exciting!! :salute!:

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by gorky View Post

LOL....3 reasons why you guys & the others will continue to behind the Chargers.

1. Kyle Orton
            2. Matt Cassel
            3. J. Russell

Until something changes in those 3 collums you are way behind the Chargers in the most important position in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by jhildebrand View Post
              Not to be rude and correct you but i believe it would be

ChargersInTheDivison He spelled his own name wrong and he'd probably do it again
              I've seen that before. I've always wondered how he felt about the typo in his name.

Comment

Originally posted by NFLfan..MLBzzzz View Post
                LOL....3 reasons why you guys & the others will continue to behind the Chargers.

1. Kyle Orton
                2. Matt Cassel
                3. J. Russell

Until something changes in those 3 collums you are way behind the Chargers in the most important position in all of sports.
                Keep thinking that just by having Rivers, the division is yours.
                Things change... Your opinion will change looonnng after the results do.

Kyle & Matt will not hold back a team.
                In the case of the of the Raiders, if they draft a QB next month, they will challenge you guys. (Heck they outplayed you with JMR...)

Comment

Big kids usually stay big for more than a year.

SB is the ultimate prize we all know that. But it's not the only measure of success in the NFL, not matter how much you want to believe it is.
                  Yes it is.
                  Winning isn't everything, its the only thing!
                  SD Medicority all these years has got you talking like a ***** CD.

Comment

Big kids usually stay big for more than a year.

SB is the ultimate prize we all know that. But it's not the only measure of success in the NFL, not matter how much you want to believe it is.
                    For a team that has never won a SB your right, they have to find some other way to measure success (i.e. individual awards, divisions, conference...ohh wait you can't even accomplish that). For teams that have won SB's that is how we measure success.

I personally would love to just make the playoffs, but the goal for every team every year is to WIN THE SB! If you think any differently then your huge football IQ is skewed by the other MMRD charger fans
                    sigpic
                    2012 Broncos Country Pick 'Em Challenge Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by ChargersDivison View Post
                      You don't become successful overnight. Atleast sustained success. A hot new company can have a phenomenal fiscal year and then plummet to bankruptcy. That's not a true formula and true success. True success is sustained success, growth, progress, developing. That is what SD is doing. Gaining invaluable big game experience.
                      you haven't been successful over night, you have been successful the last 4 years. This just being a good seasonal team isn't old hat to you guys. this hot new company has been hot for half this decade with no major accomplishment other then the division championship, valuable experience yes for inexperience teams I would agree not for a team that is constantly making the playoffs and picked to make the super bowl every year.Tell me what experience did you gain by losing to the Jets at home as a favorite and expected to be in the super bowl.

It'd be one thing if they show up and get blown out in the playoffs. They aren't they are winning close ones and losing close ones.
                      A loss is a loss whether it's by one point or 40 points. especially when you are favored to win like last year against the jets, that is a step backwards not forward.

Those kind of tides change. Teams that close make the right moves to get over the hump. Like the 90's-00's Steelers. Like the Colts, like the Bucs, many other teams.
                      But those teams pretty much stayed the same. the core was there when they finally one. the chargers in a state of change now. the running game will change, some defense stalwarths won't be there so you will be looking for some new leaders though rivers is still there and will probably be there for the long haul that doesn't guarentee super bowls ask dan marino how hard was it to get back to the super bowl after he lost his first and thought he would be there over and over again.

A poor division is more detrimental than helpful for SD. If they had a tougher division and were challenged more consistently vs good division teams it could make them even better come playoffs.
                      But you got indy's number and you somehow overcome the pats so far so you are supposed to be an elite team of the afc not just of the division. what will happen when the chargers finally have problems with the divsion, those automatic wins that make you such a great seasonal team won't be there. making the playoffs won't be guarenteed and the chances you had the last 4 years may have gone to the waste side.

SD has the foundation the formula the experience. Does DEN?? No. We aren't talking more than a decade ago. We are talking current team. Or even recent team.
                      All it takes is one time to the playoffs sheesh. all that experience you have and have yet to make the super bowl under rivers, what is the point? what if denver or KC makes the palyoffs and gets to the super bowl in one year while you guys have been busting your asses all this time to make the super bowl and fail again. there is loop, a rut, you guys have gotten into and there is no guarentees that you will get out of it.

With the probowl players, with AJ they keep coming and better than prior ones. But like I said SD is not drafting those big star probowlers lately. They are drafting those hard hat, football intelligent, mature, smart hard nosed quality low key players who contribute.
                      lately? all that talent doesn't change the coaches play calling. last year should have been the year and with all that great talent and intelligence and you couldn't beat a 5 seeded Jet team with a rookie qb.

They have a constant flux of youth and quality. Where as Den keeps throwing together teams of older players well past their prime in a pile and hoping it sticks. That doesn't work anymore in the NFL, especially when most aren't even that good.

the problem with that is not like the broncos are a team that is consistantly 4-12 or 3-13 every year. With all the critizism you have on how the broncos are run, they manage 8 to 9 wins a year which is a difference of one or two losses here and there and those two wins would have put them in the playoffs. they are not to far off and you know it and when Denver whipped you in SD last year on monday night in the back of your head you were thinking we finally caught up, now as we all know you whipped us back in denver, and thats been our relationship the last two years.
                      the difference between denver and san diego is you guys beat down KC and the raiders while denver manages to lose to those teams some how at least one time.

but why you guys lose in the playoffs to me I think it's overconfidence and a lot of reading your own press clippings. there is no humility in the chargers and just like you talk a big game and have nothing to show for it.
                      Bronco fan 33 years and counting, GO BRONCOS!

Comment

• Originally posted by NFLfan..MLBzzzz View Post

1. Kyle Orton
                        2. Matt Cassel
                        3. J. Russell

it's the overconfidence and cockiness that gets them beat in the playoffs. the raiders will take a long time to recover but denver is only one or two games away and kyle already beat sd last year. as much as Sd fans like aj smith, scott pioli will have kc competitive in this division soon, keep underestimating these teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by bklynbronco View Post
                          it's the overconfidence and cockiness that gets them beat in the playoffs. the raiders will take a long time to recover but denver is only one or two games away and kyle already beat sd last year. as much as Sd fans like aj smith, scott pioli will have kc competitive in this division soon, keep underestimating these teams.
                          Dude, Broncs won that game, but if you watched it, you know that Kyle did his part in trying to let The Chargers win it....it was all Nolan and the Defense that time.
                          sigpic

Thanks Charger$

Comment

• Originally posted by bklynbronco View Post
                            Last time I checked, it was 5 games away. That's a pretty big gap in a 16 game league.

And Denver hasn't even signed Orton to a long term deal, so there's no guarantee he will be here after next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltheads View Post
                              Last time I checked, it was 5 games away. That's a pretty big gap in a 16 game league.

And Denver hasn't even signed Orton to a long term deal, so there's no guarantee he will be here after next season.
                              Just a friendly reminder: This topic is not about Kyle Orton but is instead about Jamal Williams.
                              And as such, he is an upgrade over what we had on the line as far as run support goes. We got better on DL. End of story...

The only QB you should mention is Rivers. As Rivers might have to run from JW!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lyghts Out View Post
                                Dude, Broncs won that game, but if you watched it, you know that Kyle did his part in trying to let The Chargers win it....it was all Nolan and the Defense that time.
                                Did he throw and interception? I remember that game and he wasn't forcing the ball or making stupid mistakes.

i think you're confusing that game with the steeler monday night game.

it wasn't all defense as royal ran a KO and a punt return back for TD's.

He didn't have drew brees numbers but he wasn't giving that game away.
                                no turnovers in that game.

Comment

Working...
                                X