Jamarcus to Stay.....YESSSSSSSSSS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamarcus to Stay.....YESSSSSSSSSS

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Funny thing happened to JaMarcus Russell this offseason: He learned how to be a fighter.

After being saddled with a reputation for being a poor worker who gave little thought about his future or legacy, Russell arrived for the Oakland Raiders' mandatory minicamp Friday a determined player.

Russell appeared to be in decent shape (he was not allowed to say how much he weighs, but more about that later). He threw several lasers. There still was the occasional patented Russell pass that sailed above the intended receiver. But there were much fewer than in the past. I was told a big part of Russell’s offseason training in Arizona was intended on correcting his high floaters.

Russell was truly the most impressive quarterback on the field Friday. He was much sharper than expected standout Jason Campbell. Don’t lose faith in Campbell yet, though. He has been a Raider for six days. He clearly isn’t comfortable in the system yet. Expect that to change over the course of the next four months.

However, Russell showed that he is not ready to surrender his job.

“My thing is to keep coming out to work until they tell me not to,” Russell said. “I'm going to keep coming out to compete for the job and work my tail off.”

Russell said he has not been told what his role with the team will be.

"The only thing I'm here to do is compete until we get a word,” Russell said. The NFL's No. 1 overall draft pick in 2007 seems to understand his job's in jeopardy. At one point in his interview session, Russell said this about working with Campbell:

“Another guy here to compete,” Russell said. “We're on the same team as of now.”

Russell almost seemed surprised that he is still in Oakland. The Raiders can save more than $6 million if the team waives Russell, who seems destined to be a backup if he is kept. Russell said he has not been approached about taking a pay cut.

Oakland coach Tom Cable didn’t shed light on what the Raiders plan to do with Russell. He did praise him, though.

"He competed and he worked his tail off,” Cable said of Russell. At the end of last season and in the offseason, Cable has been slow to give good reports on Russell.

Friday, he said he expects Russell to compete for the starting job. Asked about Russell’s future, Cable said “he’s here today and I expect him to be here (Saturday).”

Cable scoffed at the notion of the team keeping Russell out of the minicamp to avoid an injury.

”We’re trying to build a team,” Cable said. Now that Russell is working with the team at the minicamp, there is no timeline on a decision about his future.

The assumption has to be that Russell will go to training camp and try to win the job. Still, Campbell has to be considered the heavy favorite to win the job.

Give Russell credit for not running away from the competition. “Nothing's changed,” Russell said. “I just keep coming to compete every day.”

I’m on the record saying the Raiders should move on from the Russell era. However, I am impressed with how Russell handled himself on the field and with the media Friday. He tried hard to perform well and then he kept a positive attitude when talking about his situation.

The same can’t be said for Oakland employee Eddie Anderson, a former player. One of his chief duties is to hang with Russell. He stood by Russell’s side during his interview session. You'd think Oakland had just traded for Joe Thomas. I’ve never seen Russell get this much protection.

Four times, Anderson shot down reporters' questions aimed at Russell. The rebuked questions included whether Russell thinks he’ll be in the starting mix, whether he’ll take a pay cut and his current weight. The last subject caused Anderson to pull Russell away from the media.

Anderson should have allowed Russell address the subject. Russell looked pretty good. He’s nowhere near the 300-pound level some have speculated he's approaching. Cable expressed satisfaction with Russell’s conditioning.

Does Russell’s good day mean he’ll end up beating out Campbell? Probably not. But he showed he is, at least, going to try.

For his part, Campbell is focusing on his own task. After arriving via trade last week, the former Washington Redskins signal-caller said he’d be the starter in Oakland. But Cable has stressed there will be a competition.

Friday, holdover backup Charlie Frye and recently signed Kyle Boller were among the four quarterbacks who took snaps; Bruce Gradkowski, the Raiders starter in the second half of the 2009 season, is recovering from pectoral tear. He’ll be back for summer training camp.

“I'm just here to work. Just here to work, get better every day,” Campbell said. “I'll let coach Cable makes that decision and Mr. Al Davis. My job is to come out here every day and compete, keep working on things and try to improve the offense.”

If Friday’s performance is any indication, Campbell might have company in the form of a revived Russell.

Well this is great to hear. Looks likes he here to stay. I knew that stupid embarrassment Al Davis would keep him.

He's not going to start..

The Raiders don't have to pay him his 9Mil bonus until the season starts, so they can cut him before pre-season and they'll only have to pay the 3Mil.

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderFanSD View Post
      He's not going to start..

The Raiders don't have to pay him his 9Mil bonus until the season starts, so they can cut him before pre-season and they'll only have to pay the 3Mil.
      Knowing Davis he will keep russell for the whole season. He still has hopes he will pan out, dont you?

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalBronco7 View Post
        Knowing Davis he will keep russell for the whole season. He still has hopes he will pan out, dont you?
        Who knows, all I know is he won't start this season unless Campbell or Gradz are too injured to play.

If Al was so in love w/ JaMarcus, Cable would have been fired by now. Al wouldn't have allowed Cable to bury JaMarcus last on the depth chart behind Frye without his permission. I'd like him off the team, but if he's not? Oh well...

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderFanSD View Post
          Who knows, all I know is he won't start this season unless Campbell or Gradz are too injured to play.

If Al was so in love w/ JaMarcus, Cable would have been fired by now. Al wouldn't have allowed Cable to bury JaMarcus last on the depth chart behind Frye without his permission. I'd like him off the team, but if he's not? Oh well...
          Im not sure anyone loves russell, probably not even his mother. Im sure when she gave birth to Jamarcus she thought she took a crap.

Davis dosnt have to be in love with Russell to keep him around for another season. But thats still another season where he will bring your team down.

Comment

Lmao u guys actualy though mr. davis would release are francihse qb jamarcus russel,,?

russel is here to stay for teh forseeable future..get used to it..tak lessons to..mabye bronco team candraft a francihse qb..right now u dont hav onee
            all hail Al Davis..greaest owner n nfl historiy...has builde raider team ibnto a dynasty thad wil be formidable for yrs to come

Comment

Originally posted by Raiderjoe1 View Post
              Lmao u guys actualy though mr. davis would release are francihse qb jamarcus russel,,?

russel is here to stay for teh forseeable future..get used to it..tak lessons to..mabye bronco team candraft a francihse qb..right now u dont hav onee
              lmao jemrcus isnt no frenchse qb, wut r u tlkn bout mn.

Comment

Leaf got 4 years in the NFL JaMarcus should at least get one more shot and who knows maybe like Brees he will come alive in his 4th season. Heck he already has 4 TD's more then Leaf and only 13 less INT's lets let the idiot surpass Leaf as the biggest bust in NFL history or at least come close.
                2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

Originally posted by Raiderjoe1 View Post

Your a lonely, lonely person.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshecalpoly View Post
                    Leaf got 4 years in the NFL JaMarcus should at least get one more shot and who knows maybe like Brees he will come alive in his 4th season. Heck he already has 4 TD's more then Leaf and only 13 less INT's lets let the idiot surpass Leaf as the biggest bust in NFL history or at least come close.
                    Thats what im really hoping for. He deserves a shot at history.

Comment

jusd cant beleve raider taem draft jawalrus instaeds of adrian peterson, long live al.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CHARGER$ View Post
                        jusd cant beleve raider taem draft jawalrus instaeds of adrian peterson, long live al.
                        Says the fan of the team that traded up to get Ryan Leaf lol. At least our draft pick Griese made it to a pro bowl and we drafted him late in the 3rd, but hey Mikhael Ricks didnt pan out either or Cedric Harden or Clifford Ivory or Joe Haskins

Thank god for Jamal Williams or that would have been the worst drafting in NFL history.

Considering the fact you could have gotten Griese, Stephen Alexander, Leonard Little, Charles Woodson, or Greg Ellis and any of these guys would have been better its easy to be critical. Heck trade up a little further and you could of had Manning.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshecalpoly View Post
                          Says the fan of the team that traded up to get Ryan Leaf lol. At least our draft pick Griese made it to a pro bowl and we drafted him late in the 3rd, but hey Mikhael Ricks didnt pan out either or Cedric Harden or Clifford Ivory or Joe Haskins

Thank god for Jamal Williams or that would have been the worst drafting in NFL history.

Considering the fact you could have gotten Griese, Stephen Alexander, Leonard Little, Charles Woodson, or Greg Ellis and any of these guys would have been better its easy to be critical. Heck trade up a little further and you could of had Manning.
                          If i want to poke fun at a recent raiders draft where they miss out on one of the best running backs in the game right now for an obese bust of a QB, dont try to ruin it by mentioning leaf. You know whats going to be great? is 3 years down the road, when Mccoy and clausen turn out to be decent and tebow is a minister somewhere. But hey at least your locker room is nicer for the time being.
                          Last edited by CHARGER$; 05-02-2010, 09:59 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CHARGER$ View Post
                            If i want to poke fun at a recent raiders draft where they miss out on one of the best running backs in the game right now for an obese bust of a QB, dont try to ruin it by mentioning leaf. You know whats going to be great? is 3 years down the road, when Mccoy and clausen turn out to be decent and tebow is a minister somewhere. But hey at least your locker room is nicer for the time being.
                            Colt McCoy seriously??? A lot of assumptions there. Your only looking at the possibility of Clausen and McCoy actually being decent. I think the Panthers drafted Tony Pike for a reason. And I think the Browns got Delhomme for a reason. Colt McCoy will still be on the bench learning in 3 more years. And Clausen will be in competiton with Tony Pike in 3 years for a starting job. Tebow COULD actually turn out better than both. Whats going to be the funniest is when 3 years from now Moreno will be a pro-bowl RB and Mathews will be on the disabled list with an injury like always.

Comment

and Leaf will still be at least the 2nd biggest bust and still be on probation for burglary and controlled substance charges.

Comment

Working...
                              X