Gates vs. Sharpe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gates vs. Sharpe

Ya Ya i know it was a tough week for both our teams but I had to bring something up that I had a debate with a few on this board a while back.

There was a thread a while back where some of you Broncos homers were actually trying to make an argument that Shannon Sharpe was a better TE then Antonio Gates?

Pleasseeeee

Ever without our so called #1 WR nobody can stop Gates (unless maybe they do what KC did and triple team him at the Line of scrimmage.

He is on pace to shatter all TE records and became the fastest in the history of the position to reach 500 receptions.

Some come on I'm looking for a valid debate from someone on these boards as to why they think Sharpe is the better of the 2 TE's.

Nobody at all??? Hmmm cant say that I blame you but what happened to those that were saying it earlier & how Gates was past his prime & no longer the player he once was???

Comment

Originally posted by NFLfan..MLBzzzz View Post
      Nobody at all??? Hmmm cant say that I blame you but what happened to those that were saying it earlier & how Gates was past his prime & no longer the player he once was???
      I don't know who you were talking to but they weren't thinking clearly. As far as receiving TE's are concerned, as of right now it goes Gates, Gonzales, Sharpe

But when Sharpe retired, the NFL had never had a TE like him and he was the GOAT at the position. Which is why him not being a first ballot HOFer is a joke. Just another testament to the hate of the Broncos in Canton.
      sigpic

Comment

Well, Not only was Sharpe a beast on both the Broncos & Ravens, But he has 3 rings to back it up with :thumb:
        HE>i

Comment

Originally posted by Broncoboy6 View Post
          Well, Not only was Sharpe a beast on both the Broncos & Ravens, But he has 3 rings to back it up with :thumb:
          Charger fans don't know what SB rings are so that argument is mute to them.

2010 Adopted Bronco Jason Hunter
          Official Member of the Loyalty Initiative

Comment

Good point.

If QB Phillip Rivers is lucky he'll be the next QB Dan Marino.

Comment

trent dilfer has a superbowl ring so what does that say for ppl that have superbowl rings lol
              sigpic Crushing internet tuffguys one at a time!!!

Originally Posted by BroncoLefty
              Look Steeler fans....we know. We all know about the rings. We know about the past, ok? All you guys seem to want to do is talk about the past, I dont get it. The Patriots share this problem with you as well. Nobody cares-stop living in the past.<---- typical bronco forum hypocrite.

Comment

Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
                I don't know who you were talking to but they weren't thinking clearly. As far as receiving TE's are concerned, as of right now it goes Gates, Gonzales, Sharpe

But when Sharpe retired, the NFL had never had a TE like him and he was the GOAT at the position. Which is why him not being a first ballot HOFer is a joke. Just another testament to the hate of the Broncos in Canton.

would seem you didnt watch football in the 70s or 80s because you have no mention of ppl like charlie sanders, ozzie newsome or kellen winslow in the te discussion
                sigpic Crushing internet tuffguys one at a time!!!

Originally Posted by BroncoLefty
                Look Steeler fans....we know. We all know about the rings. We know about the past, ok? All you guys seem to want to do is talk about the past, I dont get it. The Patriots share this problem with you as well. Nobody cares-stop living in the past.<---- typical bronco forum hypocrite.

Comment

Sharpe pretty much set the standard of the position of a TE in a receiving manner, he's had more of an impact on the NFL. Gates is an amazing receiving TE, my fantasy starter, don't regret picking him up in the 4th round at all!
                  Last edited by Andyy_47; 10-11-2010, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andyy_47 View Post
                    Sharpe pretty much set the standard of the position of a TE in a receiving manner, he's had more of an impact on the NFL. Gates is an amazing receiving TE, my fantasy starter, don't regret picking him up in the 4th round at all!
                    Actually that would be Ditka he was the first real good pass catching TE, before that they werent used much at all in plays.

Honestly though Gates catches a larger percentage of his passes and has managed to make more out of each pass thrown to him then Sharpe did. Ill admit I like Sharpe more he was a leader on the team and always got the team ready to play. As far as athletics Gates has Sharpe beat but Sharpe had more importance to the Broncos. Still for the first time ever Gates has been named captain but he is still not the vocal leader Sharpe was. Having all the athleticism in the world wont get you anything if you dont have the leadership to harness it.
                    2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

Originally posted by NFLfan..MLBzzzz View Post
                      Ya Ya i know it was a tough week for both our teams but I had to bring something up that I had a debate with a few on this board a while back.

There was a thread a while back where some of you Broncos homers were actually trying to make an argument that Shannon Sharpe was a better TE then Antonio Gates?

Pleasseeeee

Ever without our so called #1 WR nobody can stop Gates (unless maybe they do what KC did and triple team him at the Line of scrimmage.

He is on pace to shatter all TE records and became the fastest in the history of the position to reach 500 receptions.

Some come on I'm looking for a valid debate from someone on these boards as to why they think Sharpe is the better of the 2 TE's.
                      Can't argue it. Gates is a beast. Last week when gates caught those two wide open tds Sharpe was doing the high lights and said "where was that coverage when I was playing? I had corner and 2 safteys on me and he has a defensive end trailing him." Then he laughed and said Gates was awsome.
                      I noticed this week the Raiders didn't make that mistake and he as still catching everything. Sharpe should have been a first ballot HOFer though.
                      Originally posted by baphamet
                      are you talking career or right now? because i don't see how you can say manning is top 5 even healthy.dude will never be a top 5 QB again, he is done.

Comment

Originally posted by dayvboy View Post
                        would seem you didnt watch football in the 70s or 80s because you have no mention of ppl like charlie sanders, ozzie newsome or kellen winslow in the te discussion
                        Sharpe broke thier records so has Tony G and Gates. They were all great though and played when they ball wasn't thrown as much, except Winslow he changed the position.
                        Originally posted by baphamet
                        are you talking career or right now? because i don't see how you can say manning is top 5 even healthy.dude will never be a top 5 QB again, he is done.

Comment

Originally posted by kishzilla View Post

The few who are out there that were saying Sharpe over Gates are out there & i'm sure they just dont wanna come out & admit it.

But you are right Sharpe should be in the HOF. Maybe its his work as a TV analyst thats keeping him out??

Comment

Originally posted by Joshecalpoly View Post
                            Actually that would be Ditka he was the first real good pass catching TE, before that they werent used much at all in plays.

Honestly though Gates catches a larger percentage of his passes and has managed to make more out of each pass thrown to him then Sharpe did. Ill admit I like Sharpe more he was a leader on the team and always got the team ready to play. As far as athletics Gates has Sharpe beat but Sharpe had more importance to the Broncos. Still for the first time ever Gates has been named captain but he is still not the vocal leader Sharpe was. Having all the athleticism in the world wont get you anything if you dont have the leadership to harness it.
                            Nah I was talking about the records he held as a pass catcher man! He didn't re-rewrite the playbook but he excelled at his position!

Gates is just a beast, no questions about it.

Comment

Gates is more talented physically than Sharpe, but not enough to say that one is more talented overall than the other. Both were always huge facets of their teams offensive gameplan, and saw a lot of touches.

The afc west has been very fortunate to see very good TE play the last two decades (Sharpe, Gonzales, Gates)
                              Adopted 2010 Bronco: Chris Kuper
                              Adopted 2011 Bronco: Brian Dawkins

Comment

Working...
                              X