Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Harrison-"I try to hurt players"

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/P...1810?gt1=39002
    Last edited by Amari24; 10-18-2010, 05:35 PM.

love the quote, i wish all football players had that same mindset. he tries to hurt people, not injure them. i bet you those receivers or RB's that come into his vicinity think about that.

i know exactly what he means. if only the chargers linebackers were like that.
    sigpic

Comment

If you don't wanna get injured, don't step out on the field. That's the way I look at it. Players get ridiculous money to be out there so there's got to be some buggaboo of it all. Injuries are just part of the game.

Comment

Very complicated issue. They are not playing flag football on Sundays. I am so glad I watched espn tonight and the questions Stew and Steve asked. The head is connected to the shoulder. Your target may very well be the abdominal section or shoulder ect....ect.....

However what if the other player moves when you fire?

What if you just miss shoot?

What if you try to apply the approach that the NFL and commentators are advocating and in doing so, you miss tackles because your thinking to much!

Its a hard issue. I think there are some clear cut cases when a player clearly leads with the crown of their helmet. I also think that sometimes its not that clear cut, and to many false moves could have you banned for life from the NFL, or fined......or deemend not capable of playing this game as a DB, Linebacker, or D-linemen.

As for Harrison, Im with Baphamet to a degree and I think most "truthful" people would be as well. You're not trying to hurt anyone, but you are trying to discourage them from playing at the top of their game. If that involves pain, then so be it!

That said, Harrison to me does seem to take to far, just from this fans perspective..
        sigpic

Comment

I know what he means, but Harrison takes it to another level.

When we played them in the preseason he hit Orton hard on the sidelines, in a preseason game. Harrison is a cheap, dirty player.

Comment

The guy is a nut.
            "I didn't go to the White House because the President would have invited Arizona too."

Ok........
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Andyy_47 View Post
              If you don't wanna get injured, don't step out on the field. That's the way I look at it. Players get ridiculous money to be out there so there's got to be some buggaboo of it all. Injuries are just part of the game.
              I think that most players have the expectation of living to a ripe old age though, complete with cognitive abilities and motor skills and, just because a hit's legal, it doesn't mean that it's right. Sure, they expect to get hit, but they expect that they'll recognize their spouse when they're 50.

Comment

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
                love the quote, i wish all football players had that same mindset.
                I think that you and Roger Goodell probably disagree on this.

Comment

Originally posted by SLVR and Black View Post
                  I think that most players have the expectation of living to a ripe old age though, complete with cognitive abilities and motor skills and, just because a hit's legal, it doesn't mean that it's right. Sure, they expect to get hit, but they expect that they'll recognize their spouse when they're 50.
                  But stepping on the field is a risk itself, it's like working on a building site (terrible example...) or a hospital (again, terrible), you could be suseptible to illness in a hospital and you could get injured on a building site. It's a measured risk which I think balances out when you see the money alot of NFL players get. I'm not condoning hits that are absolutely outrageous by any means but I think we need to chill the heck out, it's not like these players don't think there's a chance they could be hurt.

I'm just of the opinion that injuries are part and parcel of the game. If you're good you will be targetted. Did the Saints get suspended for what they did to Favre last year? That was the exact same thing as Harrison was doing, trying to hurt the opposition.

Comment

This guy is a dirtbag and I personally would love for somebody to give him some of his own medicine.

It would be pretty Ironic if Harrison were to have some sort of season ending injury due to a player leading with their head and completely knocking the snot out of him.

Usually I dont say things like that but I have no respect for this head-hunter, period.
                    sigpic

Comment

I think that you and Roger Goodell probably disagree on this.
                      probably.....
                      sigpic

Comment

Butch Atkinson said something to the same effect when Swann and Noll accused The Soul Patrol of being a criminal element. More so of getting the job done by separating player from ball, because said player will get roughed up if he attempts to make a catch and/or carry the ball for positive yardage.

For the sake of manly tackle football, I'd like to think this is what Harrison meant, but in today's age of youtube and Jacked Up segments, I don't know. Still, I can't throw large stones.

Comment

Originally posted by Andyy_47 View Post
                          But stepping on the field is a risk itself, it's like working on a building site (terrible example...) or a hospital (again, terrible), you could be suseptible to illness in a hospital and you could get injured on a building site. It's a measured risk which I think balances out when you see the money alot of NFL players get. I'm not condoning hits that are absolutely outrageous by any means but I think we need to chill the heck out, it's not like these players don't think there's a chance they could be hurt.

I'm just of the opinion that injuries are part and parcel of the game. If you're good you will be targetted. Did the Saints get suspended for what they did to Favre last year? That was the exact same thing as Harrison was doing, trying to hurt the opposition.
                          If you take the field, you're accepting a huge risk, I get that. But guys like Harrison, who have the speed and strength to do a ton of permanent damage to somebody, and who appears not to exercise a whole lot of sound judgment? I don't think that it's healthy for the sport. What was the quote..."he was just sleeping"? Ok, that ain't a good thing. Unless you've been living in a cave, I'm sure you've seen the studies on concussions and dementia risks -- ever known anyone with Alzheimer's or Lewy Body Dementia? Now, put that into the body of a 50 year old.

Comment

This from a fan of th Raiders one if if not the most dirty team in the history of football? Those Raiders of the late 70's and 80's we killers and should be in jail for some of the things they did . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJrDYQwwbuY
                            Originally posted by baphamet
                            are you talking career or right now? because i don't see how you can say manning is top 5 even healthy.dude will never be a top 5 QB again, he is done.

Comment

If you take the field, you're accepting a huge risk, I get that. But guys like Harrison, who have the speed and strength to do a ton of permanent damage to somebody, and who appears not to exercise a whole lot of sound judgment? I don't think that it's healthy for the sport. What was the quote..."he was just sleeping"? Ok, that ain't a good thing. Unless you've been living in a cave, I'm sure you've seen the studies on concussions and dementia risks -- ever known anyone with Alzheimer's or Lewy Body Dementia? Now, put that into the body of a 50 year old.
                              If you don't want any part of it or any risk then don't get on the field, I respect your opinion on this and completely see where your coming from, it's not fair that players go out to intentionally "hurt" others, but thats where sanctions like fines come into play, and soon to be suspensions. But he could also get blown up by a big full back one day. I'm sure he won't be complaining afterwards though because that's just football.

But if these players are demanding millions of dollars for them to play a sport for a living they've got to accept the risks attatched. James Harrison is himself a risk. If you don't want hurt, slide when you catch the ball, and put up with getting cut by your team because you refuse to take a hit Welcome to football.

Comment

Working...
                              X