Brandon Lloyd>Brandon Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    It's not his fault, to me it just lowers the importance of him since a lot of receivers can do what he does. Not to the same level in terms of YAC, but they can still accomplish most of what he does, and it's what lead me to say he was overrated over the last few years. Wes Welker is a good example of a far less talented player that puts up similar numbers.

And just for the sake of argument...

Brandon Marshall:
    86 catches, 57 first downs, 53%

Brandon Lloyd
    77 catches, 72 first downs, 94%

So... you COULD say... that Lloyd is a better deep threat receiver, and a better chain moving receiver
    Wes Welker is the ONLY player that puts up similar numbers. He is in an EXTREMELY small class of receivers to ever put up 100 catches in 3 straight seasons. As in the group is something like 4 receivers, and the only other active one is Welker.

Other receivers have done what Lloyd has done before... I think it's a lot more common for a deep threat to have one great season, than it is to be so able to make plays consistently to have multiple 100 catch seasons consecutively.

Comment

It's not his fault, to me it just lowers the importance of him since a lot of receivers can do what he does. Not to the same level in terms of YAC, but they can still accomplish most of what he does, and it's what lead me to say he was overrated over the last few years. Wes Welker is a good example of a far less talented player that puts up similar numbers.

And just for the sake of argument...

Brandon Marshall:
      86 catches, 57 first downs, 53%

Brandon Lloyd
      77 catches, 72 first downs, 94%

So... you COULD say... that Lloyd is a better deep threat receiver, and a better chain moving receiver
      Are you kidding me what makes Welker great are his amazing hands. Marshall doesnt have the hands he does he can make plays after he catches. Playmakers and possession receivers are not that comparable. Jenkins is more comparable to Marhshall then Welker. Still this is coming from someone whold rather have a corps of possession receivers who rarely drop the ball. White and Santana Moss with Brees throwing would be a pretty good team to me.
      Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 01-03-2011, 06:30 PM.
      2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

Originally posted by Joshecalpoly View Post
        Are you kidding me what makes Welker great are his amazing hands. Marshall doesnt have the hands he does he can make plays after he catches. Playmakers and possession receivers are not that comparable. Jenkins is more comparable to Marhshall then Welker. Still this is coming from someone whold rather have a corps of possession receivers who rarely drop the ball. White and Santana Moss with Brees throwing would be a pretty good team to me.
        No, they both play similar roles. They are both possession receivers. And Welker actually gets more YAC than Marshall does.

Comment

No, they both play similar roles. They are both possession receivers. And Welker actually gets more YAC than Marshall does.
          Yeah but Welker drops less passes and has a higher Catch Ratio then Marshall does. Welker goes deep maybe 5% of the time Marshall goes deep 27% of the time. Welker is a possession receiver who runs routes that happens to have good speed to make plays better then others. Marshall is more of a play maker that goes wideout an average amount that happens to have average hands.

Heres a better comparison Marshall is like Garcon.
          Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 01-03-2011, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
            Wes Welker is the ONLY player that puts up similar numbers. He is in an EXTREMELY small class of receivers to ever put up 100 catches in 3 straight seasons. As in the group is something like 4 receivers, and the only other active one is Welker.

Other receivers have done what Lloyd has done before... I think it's a lot more common for a deep threat to have one great season, than it is to be so able to make plays consistently to have multiple 100 catch seasons consecutively.
            My point has no nothing to do with their production what so ever. The point is that it is that Brandon Marshall is overrated because the things he does can be done by a pretty average receiver. They can't do what he does as well as he does, but I'd rather have Brandon Lloyd and an average possession receiver (somebody like Davone Bess) over Brandon Marshall and a so-so deep threat guy (can't think of a good example).

I guess it comes down to preference in the end. I just think offenses are all about systems, and the majority of them need a deep threat and a possession guy, and I think you get the best production with an elite deep threat and an average possession receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshecalpoly View Post
              Yeah but Welker drops less passes and has a higher Catch Ratio then Marshall does. Welker goes deep maybe 5% of the time Marshall goes deep 27% of the time. Welker is a possession receiver who runs routes that happens to have good speed to make plays better then others. Marshall is more of a play maker that goes wideout an average amount that happens to have average hands.
              It doesn't matter if they send him deep or not, over half of his catches are still shorter than 10 yards. He's still a possession receiver with among the best YAC ability of any WR.

Comment

It doesn't matter if they send him deep or not, over half of his catches are still shorter than 10 yards. He's still a possession receiver with among the best YAC ability of any WR.
                Ok fine your right he really doesnt have the speed to go deep but I am still not a fan of saying he is a possession receiver his hands are average at best.

Comment

My point has no nothing to do with their production what so ever. The point is that it is that Brandon Marshall is overrated because the things he does can be done by a pretty average receiver. They can't do what he does as well as he does, but I'd rather have Brandon Lloyd and an average possession receiver (somebody like Davone Bess) over Brandon Marshall and a so-so deep threat guy (can't think of a good example).

I guess it comes down to preference in the end. I just think offenses are all about systems, and the majority of them need a deep threat and a possession guy, and I think you get the best production with an elite deep threat and an average possession receiver.
                  It does come down to preference. If Lloyd has another great season, I'll be more sold, and will probably agree with you in the long run, despite the fact that I'll always miss what Marshall brought and hated that he left.

However, in the meantime I am not sure that we won't end up with the Lloyd of old next year, in which case I think we'd be better off with Marshall.

You just do not see many 9th year veterans 'suddenly get it'.

So if Lloyd becomes a 30-40 catch guy next year, would you still prefer him over Marshall?

Comment

Working...
                  X