McD turns down SF job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McD turns down SF job

Cross off former Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels from the list of potential fallback candidates for the San Francisco 49ers.

McDaniels is not interested, according to a source I spoke with Thursday.

The 49ers still hope to hire Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh, but they reportedly reached out to McDaniels as a potential fallback while the Miami Dolphins became more active in pursuing Harbaugh, according to the San Jose Mercury News.

The 49ers have interviewed Harbaugh and Oakland Raiders offensive coordinator Hue Jackson. Dolphins owner Stephen Ross and general manager Jeff Ireland led a contingent that flew from Miami to the San Francisco Bay Area to meet with Harbaugh beginning Thursday morning, ESPN Insider Chris Mortensen reported.

McDaniels, 34, is more likely to land as a coordinator than as a head coach this season. Questions about the 49ers' current leadership -- specifically whether the team has a winning mix with third-year president Jed York, first-year general manager Trent Baalke and executive vice president Paraag Marathe -- made the head coaching job there less appealing to McDaniels following a turbulent run with the Broncos, the source said.

For the 49ers, hiring McDaniels as head coach months after the NFL punished him for illegally videotaping a 49ers walk-through practice would seem stupefying, in my view. Of course, we do not know how serious the 49ers would have been about McDaniels, so I'm reluctant to judge them too harshly for merely reaching out. Might the 49ers have been more interested in McDaniels as a coordinator?

At the very least, it's revealing when a recently fired candidate has no interest in the 49ers. It says McDaniels remains confident he'll land a more appealing job once he repairs his image through a successful run as a coordinator. It also suggests high-profile candidates could elude the 49ers, as the case appeared to be during the team's search for a general manager.

Landing Harbaugh would change perceptions. If Harbaugh accepts a more lucrative offer from the Dolphins, however, the 49ers will look like a team that overplayed its hand and misled fans when York said money would be no object.

The 49ers might then have to settle for another tier of candidates. That would not necessarily prevent them from hiring a capable coach. None of us knows whether Harbaugh would fare better than Marty Mornhinweg, Brian Billick, Jackson or any other potential candidate.

We do know the 49ers wanted Harbaugh, however. Watching him take a job with the Dolphins or anyone else would sting.
    Sad when they cant even get our sloppy seconds
    2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

If McD was offended that they wanted him as OC he's gotten worse since being fired.
    sigpic
    I Adopt #77 well damn!
    Milla Da QB Killa' #77
    Fox Rocks #77

Comment

Originally posted by Garywolf001 View Post
      If McD was offended that they wanted him as OC he's gotten worse since being fired.
      I am not sure they would have wanted him as an OC, because you rarely target coordinators before coaches. If they wanted him as an OC then they really have issues as an organization.

Comment

To me, the article implied that they were going after Mickey D for the HC postion. But, I could be wrong. It doesn't make since for Josh to turn down ANY coaching position, regardless of the team. Especially a HC job.

Comment

Interesting, i think he'll be a good HC if/when he gets another chance as long as he doesn't have much GM power.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
            Interesting, i think he'll be a good HC if/when he gets another chance as long as he doesn't have much GM power.

Originally posted by Boltheads View Post
            To me, the article implied that they were going after Mickey D for the HC postion. But, I could be wrong. It doesn't make since for Josh to turn down ANY coaching position, regardless of the team. Especially a HC job.

Originally posted by Joshecalpoly View Post
            I am not sure they would have wanted him as an OC, because you rarely target coordinators before coaches. If they wanted him as an OC then they really have issues as an organization.

(To All LOL!) I just don't see anyone offering him a HC job yet without more experience first.
            sigpic
            I Adopt #77 well damn!
            Milla Da QB Killa' #77
            Fox Rocks #77

Comment

(To All LOL!) I just don't see anyone offering him a HC job yet without more experience first.
              Just because you are the only one who thinks any team would hire an OC before they even hired a coach doesnt mean we are wrong.

I think the reason Josh turned down SF was because he wants a chance to repair his image which is why he is pitching himself to the vikings as the OC. I think he would be as stupid as the team who hires him to be a HC so soon.

Comment

Why would he want to get back into work so soon after the taping scandal and his firing when we just gave him a massive payout on his last contract? He's set for a few years.

Comment

I bet he goes to MN and orton ends up there too. Thats my offseason Prediction.
                  sigpic

Raiders @ Broncos 9-30-12

Comment

Originally posted by MNBroncs85 View Post
                    I'd call it a good one. Although Webb is decent with a little work, Tavaris is a joke.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MNBroncs85 View Post
                      Most likely scenario they need to develop Webb and want him to do the work while Orton takes the reigns for a year.

Comment

Working...
                      X