Asomugha on Chargers' radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asomugha on Chargers' radar

There has been discussion at Chargers Park about the team possibly going after All-Pro cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha now that he will become a free agent.

Indications are – and this will shock no one – that the Chargers making a big play to sign Asomugha is a longshot. However, the talk has been serious enough to mention.

There is a belief that Asomugha, who has made some $38 million over the past three seasons, will put winning ahead of another bank-breaking contract. His deal in Oakland voided after he did not reach any likely-to-be-earned incentives in 2010, and his eight seasons with the Raiders included a 37-91 record with no winning seasons.

Norv Turner was Asomugha’s head coach in 2004 and ’05 and has gone against him at least once every year since. He thinks highly of Asomugha as a person and, as does everyone, a player.

While numerous other teams – the Philadelphia Eagles reportedly chief among them -- are likely to be willing to pay more than the Chargers, the idea of playing for a winning team in San Diego might be a strong selling point.

The issue, even more than the possible monetary investment, would be what to do with the Chargers’ current cornerbacks.

It’s not as if they’re a bad duo, even if Asomugha would give them (and almost every team) an upgrade.

Quentin Jammer and Antoine Cason combined to allow just 95 receptions on 184 passes. That 51.9 percent burned rate was seventh among the league’s starting corner tandems.

Talk about Jammer moving to safety is something that was fueled by Jammer as he looked toward the end of his career. It is not something the team is considering for 2011. More likely would be moving Cason to free safety and (if they can keep him) Eric Weddle to strong.

Cason had a fantastic season in his first year as a starter (allowing just 51 percent of the 104 passes his way to be completed, finishin tied for seventh in the NFL with 17 passes defended and leading the Chargers with four interceptions). He would almost certainly be averse to moving to a position he’s not accustomed to and generally pays less to its top performers.

Discussion of Asomugha to the Chargers is more than speculative. Those who decide and implement such moves have talked about. But, all things considered, it’s probably just barely more relevant than that.

It's NOT gonna happen but at least it keep worth to mention since we all watch the playoff this year.

I wouldn't do it because of the money he'd want and we're pretty solid in the CB position.

But moving Jammer to SS and Asomugha to #1 CB, Cason #2 CB would be interesting...
    Rivers is deciding to play bad, just to see how it feels.

Comment

Hey there's a move I don't want to see!

Would be a good addition.
      sigpic

Comment

Interesting if that happens. But isn't AJ Smith cheap?

Comment

Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
          It would be out of character for them in term of signing big FA. I will say this, Aso has better chance staying Oakland than San Diego.

Comment

Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
            Yes, he's VERY cheap. And he is not known to go after big name free agents.
            Rivers is deciding to play bad, just to see how it feels.

Comment

Originally posted by powderblues View Post
              Yes, he's VERY cheap. And he is not known to go after big name free agents.
              Nor is he known to keep them either. The man has a long history of keeping his check book closed. If this happens Ild be stunned. He will probably end up in philly
              2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

I've heard alot more specualtion about the Chargers going after Larry Fitzgerald. I'd much rather see them go after Fitz as opposed to a CB whos gonna wanna be paid as much as Revis.

Comment

Originally posted by NFLfan..MLBzzzz View Post
                  I've heard alot more specualtion about the Chargers going after Larry Fitzgerald. I'd much rather see them go after Fitz as opposed to a CB whos gonna wanna be paid as much as Revis.
                  I read the Cards are in negotiatons with Fitz on another extension. SD does have a lot of picks, so they could use some picks for someone.

AJ usually doesn't go on the FA market and sign big-name players.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                    I read the Cards are in negotiatons with Fitz on another extension. SD does have a lot of picks, so they could use some picks for someone.

AJ usually doesn't go on the FA market and sign big-name players.
                    Thats assuming that Fitz wants to stay in AZ which by the sound of it when he was interviewed on ESPN.com didnt sound to convincing. Hard to blame him with the QB situation. This guy is a top 5 WR in the league and when you look at his stats from the past season with the crap they had at QB its amazing.

Spanos in a Q&A session on Chargers.com said he expects the team to be more active in Free-Agency this year as opposed to years passed. With the uncertainty with what will happen with VJ it would be a logical move instead of trying to draft a WR and develop him for the next 2-3 years and hope he turns into a playmaker.

Comment

Thats assuming that Fitz wants to stay in AZ which by the sound of it when he was interviewed on ESPN.com didnt sound to convincing. Hard to blame him with the QB situation. This guy is a top 5 WR in the league and when you look at his stats from the past season with the crap they had at QB its amazing.

Spanos in a Q&A session on Chargers.com said he expects the team to be more active in Free-Agency this year as opposed to years passed. With the uncertainty with what will happen with VJ it would be a logical move instead of trying to draft a WR and develop him for the next 2-3 years and hope he turns into a playmaker.
                      Dude this thread is about ASO, not FITZ! Only speak of that. Kay?

BTW

BLAM BLAM thank you ma'am.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Fetzer View Post
                        Dude this thread is about ASO, not FITZ! Only speak of that. Kay?

BTW

BLAM BLAM thank you ma'am.
                        Dude go play with your Lego's and leave the adult conversations to the Adults.

Comment

Dude go play with your Lego's and leave the adult conversations to the Adults.
                          No Id much rather sit here and watch you fantasize about players never coming to your sorry excuse of a franchise.

Carry on.....:paper:

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Fetzer View Post
                            No Id much rather sit here and watch you fantasize about players never coming to your sorry excuse of a franchise.

Carry on.....:paper:

Thats ok atleast you wont have to worry about any of the better FA's on the market heading to Denver (Well maybe you can pick up a few more broken down 30 something year old FA's.) How does it make you feel when Oakland is now a better place for a FA to go and try n win over Denver??

Comment

Thats ok atleast you wont have to worry about any of the better FA's on the market heading to Denver (Well maybe you can pick up a few more broken down 30 something year old FA's.) How does it make you feel when Oakland is now a better place for a FA to go and try n win over Denver??
                              Thats cool I just dream about elite players coming to my team to escape reality...:paper:

Comment

Working...
                              X