Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which scenario is worse?

Which scenario is worse?
    So with all the Bronco Charger talk, I came up with a new question.

Which is worse:

A. Being a good team with talent and high expectations and underachieving

or

B. Being a very bad team and only having a high draft pick to look forward to?

Discuss!
    Being a good team with talent and underachieving is worse.
    60.53%
    Being a very bad team is worse. A high draft pick isnt something to look forward to.
    39.47%

The poll is expired.

What about being a team with talent and no expectations because you have never accomplished anything in your entire history in the NFL?

Discuss...
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

I would say that having a talented team year after year and underachieving would be worse. At some point you'd really have to wonder what your team would need to do to get over the top.

Being a fan of a bad team with a high draft pick, you can only have optimism. Teams nowadays go from being crap to a playoff team all the time.

Unless your a fan of Buffalo. Then you have no hope.
      sigpic

Adopted Posters:
      Broncbeat - 80stheman - kmcgough25 - InsaneBlaze 23
      Adopted By:
      Broncoholic JS & 80stheman
      Broncbeat

Comment

being a fan of a team that has been in both situations, i can easily say being a fan of a bad team is worse, if you are a die hard fan that is.

it probably doesn't effect fairweathers as much because they either don't follow their team when they are bad or they jump off the bandwagon.

not saying you donk fans are fairweather, but you guys also don't know what it is like to follow a team that has no hope year after year.

you thought last year was bad? try doing that 10 years in a row and then tell me its worse than actually competing every year and putting a decent product on the field that's actually Worth your money.

Comment

As a lifelong Jazz fan, I can say without a doubt that having talent and underacheiving is much much worse. There were soooo many years that we thought next year is ours for sure. Now that we suck again the losses are a bit easier to take and to dissect.....

No loss is easy to take, but the dissapointment doesnt wreck you like a close but no cigar season....

Comment

I live in Cowboy country so I see having talent and underachieving is a whole lot worse. They won 5 Superbowls but haven't been since 96 and if you look at their roster it's not as bad as you might think...only 1 playoff victory since then. Leave it to Tony Romo to mess up in the playoffs except against the eagles (I was at that game).
            sigpic
            Sig pic by dbfan2007

Originally posted by kishzilla
            You truly are a special kind of strange ha ha ha.
            You damn right!

Songs engineered, mixed, and mastered by yours truly...
            Have It All - Blu3
            Conceited - Blu3
            Intro (Failure Meets Success) - Blu3
            All On You - Blu3

Comment

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you guys. Losing sucks, period. I hate losing more than just about anything. Both scenarios are faced with losing, but one is faced with it more than the other. Sure we can be optimistic, but in reality, a team with real talent can more easily turn it around than one that has missing pieces, usually.

The Chargers need a coaching change to be a true success, since they have many of the personnel pieces in place (Something that took a while to achieve so they need to strike while the iron is hot). Unfortunately for their fan-base, chances are the Coach will be there still when the current roster of talent has all but dried up.

We need a lot of personnel added/groomed/etc. but I honestly feel we have a better quality coach now. It's to be seen whether we will get the pieces we need for that better quality coach to be successful.

The Chargers and Broncos have complete opposite problems. I just feel like the Chargers have a much more static problem that isn't likely going to be fixed, whereas the Broncos are a season or two of trades and draft picks from reaching full potential if done correctly.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
                What about being a team with talent and no expectations because you have never accomplished anything in your entire history in the NFL?

Discuss...
                Are you talking about the Chargers?

Anyhow, I voted it's worst to be a bad team, because we have been at the same draft number for 3-4 season(not including trading down), now this year we move up.

I would wither have a talented to that underachieve like the Chargers, than being a team whom is the but of all jokes, and has no hope of being in the playoffs any time soon.(Lions, Browns and Bills)
                sigpic
                Adopted Broncos:
                EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
                  Sorry, but I have to disagree with you guys. Losing sucks, period. I hate losing more than just about anything. Both scenarios are faced with losing, but one is faced with it more than the other. Sure we can be optimistic, but in reality, a team with real talent can more easily turn it around than one that has missing pieces, usually.

The Chargers need a coaching change to be a true success, since they have many of the personnel pieces in place (Something that took a while to achieve so they need to strike while the iron is hot). Unfortunately for their fan-base, chances are the Coach will be there still when the current roster of talent has all but dried up.

We need a lot of personnel added/groomed/etc. but I honestly feel we have a better quality coach now. It's to be seen whether we will get the pieces we need for that better quality coach to be successful.

The Chargers and Broncos have complete opposite problems. I just feel like the Chargers have a much more static problem that isn't likely going to be fixed, whereas the Broncos are a season or two of trades and draft picks from reaching full potential if done correctly.
                  so you are saying the chargers ST's woes are going to continue and likely will not get fixed?

lol wishful thinking.

the chargers fans actually have hope for their team, maybe in the future when we are one of the leagues worst teams we will not have any hope and be like the broncos fans.

but to say our problems wont get fixed (and yours apparently will?) when our team is sitting at a much better position, is kind if funny.

also, while your new coach is an improvement over your last, don't forget that he was the coach of the worst team in the league last year.

the broncos have a much larger task in front of them getting back to even playoff contention, than the chargers do by tweaking a few issues they had last year with special teams and protecting the football.

Comment

I think Baph brings up a good point about being terrible for years at the level the Saint, Chargers, Bengals, Bills and Colts were before their revivals (Bills and Bengals haven't revived).

I certainly don't know what that is like. I can say that I was ok with the firing of Shanahan. Personally I wanted to see him go when he was almost named the Florida Gators HC. I said I was willing to put up with some 2-3 really bad years if it meant a true rebuilding and youth movement (hence my sig) to the point we could contend again for years. I am still ok with that but the problem is McDaniels set this team back at least 3 seasons by himself. So the truth is I don't know if being bad for a long spell will be worse.

I can say that Shanahan spoiled this team, city, and franchise. Our team was always in the mix but outside of our SB years and 2005 we never really had a shot. It is pretty tough being in the mix but not really a true contender.

Comment

Being talented and a good team that almost always makes the playoffs and has a chance to make the big game but hasn't yet is better.

Just compare how you Bronco fans felt post and pre the back to back SB wins. Were those not more fulfilling seasons than the past 5 years.

You knew that well ok we didn't win it this season, or next or next. But gosh darn it, we have a legit shot every year and we have post season opportunities to look forward to and potentially very good teams.

Rather than looking forward to bad seasons and no playoffs and worrying is this year going to be worse than last season.

Just like us SD fans much rather have the past 7 years than the previous 10 or so seasons.

Being talented and good and battle tested with virtually always a playoff team, you have a legit chance to make that leap that year and something to look forward to.

With being not talented and bad, it's too much of a crap shoot to be optimistic, unless the season progresses well.

Comment

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
                        so you are saying the chargers ST's woes are going to continue and likely will not get fixed?

lol wishful thinking.

the chargers fans actually have hope for their team, maybe in the future when we are one of the leagues worst teams we will not have any hope and be like the broncos fans.

but to say our problems wont get fixed (and yours apparently will?) when our team is sitting at a much better position, is kind if funny.

also, while your new coach is an improvement over your last, don't forget that he was the coach of the worst team in the league last year.

the broncos have a much larger task in front of them getting back to even playoff contention, than the chargers do by tweaking a few issues they had last year with special teams and protecting the football.
                        Noooooooooooo baph. What I was saying is what I actually said ha ha. If you would actually read what is written you would have seen I was talking about your coach not your special teams, that we have it worse than you guys, but the issue your team has (your coach) isn't going to get fixed anytime soon. He aint going anywhere, therefore neither will you. What's funny is you not being able to extrapolate information from a simple few paragraphs.

Also, I actually said that you guys having a lot of talent IS a better situation, but because of the ineptitude in your coaching staff, it's being wasted. I also said that even though we have a better coach IMO, it's to be seen whether or not we will take advantage of that by getting the players we need. Seriously dude, you need to start actually reading the posts before you start sipping your charger whine. It's pretty pathetic I have to repeat myself when I wrote something in plain English.

(Spoken like a caveman)
                        You guys have good players. You guys have bad coach.

We have good coach. We don't have as good of players.

Your coach staying.

We maybe get good players for our good coach.
                        (End caveman)

I can't say it any simpler than that bud. Nowhere did I talk about your special teams (have a complex there guy? lol):thumb:
                        sigpic

Comment

Which is worse:

(Chargers)

or

(Raiders 2003-09)

I'll take the Chargers situation.. at least football is fun to watch

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderFanSD View Post
                            Which is worse:

(Chargers)

or

(Raiders 2003-09)

I'll take the Chargers situation.. at least football is fun to watch
                            Exactly, like I said, losing sucks period. Anyone trying to say that our situation right now is easier to deal with than the Chargers is being a homer.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
                              Exactly, like I said, losing sucks period. Anyone trying to say that our situation right now is easier to deal with than the Chargers is being a homer.
                              This is actually pretty tough. Remember the loss to the jags in 96? Compare that to the loss to them last year, which one hurt worse? I still think I would rather be a contender year in and year out though.
                              Last edited by Jer_ber73; 04-15-2011, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X