Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Reasons Why Tebow is not Elways QB of the Future

Bronco fans, Tebowites, get a clue.

You've all been wishing and praying for an Elway replacement since he retired, Your've been searching and searching for your 2nd historical franchise QB ever.

We'll this is your 5th try since 1999. The first 4 (Greasy, Plumber, Cuhtler, and Orten) have all utterly failed, including a combined 1-4 playoff record choke in this time frame with the 1st 2 QB and NO playoffs for the last 2 since 2006).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...-of-the-future

I can guarantee you that Tim Tebow is not your franchise QB. He is not Elway's long term answer. As an opposing fan I'm happy though that it appears he will be forced to start in 2011 (if we even have any football).
    This is great news because the Broncos will remain in the basement for a long time.

Let's all be honest here, anybody following the Broncos for the last two years can agree that almost every single decision that McDaniels made can be questioned.

While not too many Broncos faithful miss Jay Cutler, he was in the playoffs. Then sending away the best receiving options (Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler respectively) didn't help. Also, patchwork free agency signings for a defense that needs some major surgery hurt his personnel credibility.

So it makes sense that people would question his choice of Tebow when every other team in the NFL was happy to pass on him in the first round. Will Tebow be the last bullet on the list of things that Josh McDaniels did wrong? We have yet to see.

Wait, his positives work against him? Well, think about it. When people describe Tebow, what do they say about him? They say he works his butt off, he's a competitor, he's tough, he's a leader, he's strong.

Notice how not one of those things have anything to do with being a great quarterback? Nobody says he can throw every single pass. Nobody says he reads defenses really well. Nobody says his accuracy and decision making are great.

All of the things that people say he does makes a good player, but not necessarily a good quarterback. Let's be straight, all the positive things people say about him are absolutely true, but we have yet to cross to the line between great person, and great quarterback.

Quote of the year:

John Elway supports Tim Tebow

http://twitter.com/johnelway

Any speculation that the Denver Broncos are considering moving Tim is completely false.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6442597

With the second pick in the first round of the draft Thursday, the Broncos selected Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller. That means Tebow won't be competing with another young up-and-comer.

"Those guys, obviously, there's holes in every young guy coming out," he said. "There's not an Andrew Luck, a [Matthew] Stafford, a [Sam] Bradford. Those guys are all very good quarterbacks in my mind, but there are holes in every one of them -- as there were in Tebow. I think where we are as an organization, we're going to go with Tim."

With that, while acknowledging there will be competition for the starting job, Elway seemed to hint that Tebow is Denver's likely starter this year -- unless the lockout eliminates virtually all of the preseason, in which case veteran Kyle Orton's experience might provide an advantage.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...augh-and-tebow

“We had personnel meetings this morning with everybody -- with the whole staff -- and got through that and obviously we talked a lot about Tim. I have asked everybody if they had a chance to do the deal over that the Broncos did last year to get Tim (whether they would do it again) and they all said, ‘Yes.’

I think that he has been everything that everybody expected him to be as far as a person, a man, a leader, and what everybody heard about him -- his intangibles … I don’t think a coach is going to (not want to coach Tebow), to be dead honest with you.

Everyone is aware of what Tim Tebow is about and so I think that there is still a question -- obviously you have guys way over here that say there is no way, you have guys over here that think (otherwise) -- there are really not a lot of guys in the middle, but I think that anybody that comes in here and is going to be around Tim Tebow is going to understand that this guy is something special as a man and a person, willing to work with him to give him that opportunity to be the player that he wants.

So, I don’t believe that anyone is going to come over and say, ‘I don’t want Tim Tebow.’ If they do, then maybe they are not the right guy for the job.”
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5236931

"The value of a running quarterback, somebody who can pick up four or five first downs a game, is huge," said Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh, a veteran of 14 NFL seasons and ranked No. 9 (2,787 yards) on the quarterback career rushing list.

"That keeps drives alive and leads to points. That's a huge asset …. [Tebow is] a winner. He's got tremendous athletic instincts. I'm sure the Broncos know what they're looking at it in terms of accuracy, decision-making and timing."
    "I know that Tim Tebow is not the prototypical quarterback. I wasn't either," said Tarkenton, the Pro Football Hall of Fame passer who played 18 NFL seasons.
    "Neither was Roger Staubach, even Bob Griese wasn't. I had my own style of play and did OK."
    Another quarterback comes to mind when Stanford's Harbaugh watches Tebow.

"I look at Tim Tebow's throwing motion and it doesn't look that much different than Steve Young's, if you put them next to each other," said Harbaugh.

"Steve Young would drop the ball when he threw it. And he's a Hall of Fame quarterback. To me it's more important to be natural than it is to shave a tenth of a second off the time it takes to get rid of the ball."
    Harbaugh believes too much has been made of Tebow's passing technique.

"I don't mess with a guy's throwing motion," said Harbaugh, who starred for five teams and led the Indianapolis Colts to the 1995 AFC Championship Game. "It's more mechanics. It's footwork. It's accuracy and decision-making."
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...-2011-qb-class

Former Carolina and St. Louis draft executive Tony Softli said he had Tebow ranked as a low second-round pick last year when Softli was with the Rams. He said he wouldn’t draft a quarterback this year. He believes in Tebow. Softli raved about Tebow’s leadership ability, his history as a winner and his intelligence. Softli said Tebow, Matt Ryan, Bradford and Josh Freeman were the brightest quarterback prospects he’s seen in the past 10 years when it came to working on the grease board and breaking down the game.

“I understand why Denver is looking at quarterbacks -- they’re doing their homework and that’s smart -- but I think Tebow is going to be the guy,” Softli said. “I think the Broncos should forget about his throwing motion and just let him be who he is. His intangibles are off the charts. When it’s Tebow time, he’ll show he’s the answer.”
    sigpic

Comment

Tony Dungy: Tim Tebow will be a great NFL quarterback

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...l-quarterback/

The biggest question mark in the 2010 NFL Draft is Florida quarterback Tim Tebow, who’s viewed by some as a future franchise quarterback and by others as a guy who will need to move to another position if he’ll ever make it as a pro.

Count Tony Dungy as emphatically believing that Tebow will be an NFL superstar.

Appearing Friday morning on The Dan Patrick Show, Dungy said he believes the combination of leadership and athletic ability that Tebow has will make him an elite NFL quarterback — and more than make up for any questions about his throwing motion.

“As a coach, I always like winners,” Dungy said. “Tim Tebow doesn’t have the classic throwing motion, he doesn’t have the accuracy, maybe, right now that some people are looking for, but I think when he gets into a pro system that really stresses throwing the ball accurately, the big thing is he makes the people around him better. And he’s won. … I think he’s going to be a great player in the NFL.”

Dungy said that if he were running a team with a Top 10 pick, he’d take Tebow. Patrick then asked Dungy who he’d pick for his team if he could have any of the top college quarterbacks, including Washington’s Jake Locker, Notre Dame’s Jimmy Clausen, Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford and Texas’s Colt McCoy. Dungy didn’t hesitate and said, “I’m taking Tebow.”

One of the knocks on Tebow is that during his stellar career in Florida’s spread offense, he’s never been asked to make the kinds of throws that quarterbacks in prototypical NFL offenses have to make. But Dungy said a good coach can take advantage of Tebow’s strengths.

“Is it ever going to be Peyton Manning-ish? Maybe not,” Dungy said of Tebow’s throwing motion. “But I just think what you can do with him, the problems he creates for a defense, the combination of leadership and what he’s shown, if I have him, defenses have to prepare for a totally different offense. … He’s going to give teams the most headaches getting ready for him.”
      http://www.tampabay.com/sports/colle...cle1077579.ece

"You might not ever meet a guy like him," said Gruden, now an analyst for ESPN's Monday Night Football. "He's the kind of guy who can do just about anything in life. He's a great person, and he's a heck of a quarterback. I think he's going to be a great success.
      "I think he's going to be a work in progress," Gruden said. "He's going to make the transition just like these guys are down here in spring training. People are doubting him right now, and I think that will make him even better, give him motivation.

"But I love guys who are quick-minded. What (Florida) asked him to do from a decision-making standpoint is incredible, just listening to him take me through sequences. So I have a lot of confidence and trust in him. How can you not root for Tim Tebow?"
      sigpic

Comment

Bleacher report, enough said...

And he's started THREE games, if you knew anything about football, shouldn't he get more time then that. Not saying those 3 games show everything, but for a 2-3 year "project", he's far from the bust you Charger trolls made him out to be.

And Rod owned you as usual, LOL.

Comment

How did plummer utterly fail?

Comment

Wow.. do you seriously think Orton was brought in to be Denver's franchise QB? It looks like you need to get a clue.

Also, Plummer took the Broncos as far as Rivers has taken the Chargers. If Plummer was a failure, then Rivers is too.
            Last edited by Amari24; 07-14-2011, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
              Bleacher report, enough said...

And he's started THREE games, if you knew anything about football, shouldn't he get more time then that. Not saying those 3 games show everything, but for a 2-3 year "project", he's far from the bust you Charger trolls made him out to be.

And Rod owned you as usual, LOL.
              there is only one "Rod" here in the smack section and if i was Roddoliver i would take that as an insult.

Comment

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
                Wow.. do you seriously think Orton was brought in to be Denver's franchise QB? It looks like you need to get a clue.

Also, Plummer took the Broncos as far as Rivers has taken the Chargers. If Plummer was a failure, then Rivers is too.
                plummer was actully a pretty good QB for you guys, i hated his guts. lol

Comment

I miss jake.....
                  sigpic
                  2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
                    I miss jake.....

Me too.
                    2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Broncoholic3233 View Post
                      Me too.
                      Same here we have been missing a play maker like him for a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by nic.zeman24 View Post
                        How did plummer utterly fail?
                        Why in the playoffs of course. I too hated him though. He owned the Chargers. Except his final game.

Quote of the year:

Comment

Originally posted by BOLTMAN-1 View Post
                          Why in the playoffs of course. I too hated him though. He owned the Chargers. Except his final game.
                          So what you're saying is that Rivers is like Jake Plummer.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nic.zeman24 View Post
                            Same here we have been missing a play maker like him for a while now.
                            What kind of plays did Jake make for the Broncos in the playoffs?

Quote of the year:

Comment

Originally posted by BOLTMAN-1 View Post
                              What kind of plays did Jake make for the Broncos in the playoffs?
                              The same kind as Phyllis Rivers. The kind that aren't good enough to win games.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X