Best Franchise as a whole, outside of your favorite team, in the afc west

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 12and4 View Post
    Yeah they have the best legacy and history, but recently they have shattered all of that and have been on a downward spiral.

IDK, it's hard. They are all pretty close and you can make a valid argument for each one.

Chiefs: fanbase, classy, etc, but no legacy
    Raiders: Wins, fanbase loyalty, but haven't lived up to it in the past 8 or so years and look to be hurting BADLY
    Chargers: Recent success, have had some great players, but fan base is horrible and the atmosphere at the games is sub par.
    Broncos: Wins, fanbase, Elway, but have sucked lately and also started off horribly in their first 7-10 seasons..
    that's the kind of logic that people use to say aaron rodgers is better than tom brady

recently, there's a debate for that

as a whole , over a career?

forget about it

you can't say as a whole, then cite "recently" IMO
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah they have the best legacy and history, but recently they have shattered all of that and have been on a downward spiral.

IDK, it's hard. They are all pretty close and you can make a valid argument for each one.

Chiefs: fanbase, classy, etc, but no legacy
      Raiders: Wins, fanbase loyalty, but haven't lived up to it in the past 8 or so years and look to be hurting BADLY
      Chargers: Recent success, have had some great players, but fan base is horrible and the atmosphere at the games is sub par.
      Broncos: Wins, fanbase, Elway, but have sucked lately and also started off horribly in their first 7-10 seasons..

Dude, same stuff could be said of our own franchise and I don't think we have been damaged irreparably. I think a lot of that thinking has to do with your age. It's not a knock at all, it's just the reality of it. You never really watched the Raiders as a good football team as an adult or close to it. I grew up watching these teams in their heyday. I'm a fan of the one that I feel is the best of the 4, but if I had to pick a distant #2 (get it.......#2) the turds is the franchise.

Chargers and Chiefs can't even come close.
      Last edited by kishzilla; 08-25-2011, 01:03 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
        Dude, same stuff could be said of our own franchise and I don't think we have been damaged irreparably. I think a lot of that thinking has to do with your age. It's not a knock at all, it's just the reality of it. You never really watched the Raiders as a good football team as an adult or close to it. I grew up watching these teams in their heyday. I'm a fan of the one that I feel is the best of the 4, but if I had to pick a distant #2 (get it.......#2) the turds is the franchise.

Chargers and Chiefs can't even come close.
        Good Point. The last time I watched the raiders of old was like 2002 or somethin when they went to the super bowl.

Everybody was talkin about it here in fresno.

I understand the Raiders' legacy is the best in the division.. but its all the rest of their baggage that drags them down.

Comment

This Decade the Chargers by far.

90s Denver.

80s Oakland Denver tie.

70s Oakland

60s Chiefs.
          sigpicoh YEAH?

Comment

Yeah, the only reason i chose chiefs over chargers was the fact that the chiefs fanbase is more loyal, and their stadium environment has to be one of the best in the league.

I'm sure the charger fans would agree that their fellow fans suck ass.
            Bingo, I voted for the Chiefs for those reasons too.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Axemaster View Post
              This Decade the Chargers by far.

90s Denver.

80s Oakland Denver tie.

70s Oakland

60s Chiefs.
              We are in a new decade, so I assume you mean 2000-2009.

If that is the case, Denver a close 2nd to SD.

Broncos were the team 2000-2005 with 4 playoff appearances and 1 AFC title game. 93 wins.

2006-2009, San Diego 5 playoff appearances, 85 wins.

I would have to give a slight nod to SD for winning the division more often, but I would not say by far.

Seattle will always be an AFC West team to me, because I grew up watching the rivalry. Seattle has been more successful in the past decade than SD...5 playoffs and a SB appearance.
              Last edited by MHSalute; 08-25-2011, 11:37 AM.
              Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Chiefs: no legacy
                I don't know how you came up with this?
                Lamar Hunt- his name is on the AFC championship trophy (not Al Davis) Wiki the rest if you want to learn about all of his vast accomplishments.
                Hank Stram- you still hear his quotes being replayed on TV every game day.
                The Chiefs won their Super Bowl 29 years before the Broncos won one.
                Their historical matchups within the division have been close (that could be a bit different over the last couple of years since I last looked)

Of course they did have many lean years, and they haven't really had a sustained period of dominance since the 60's (lots of one and dones).

SD was named after credit cards, and hasn't done anything until Marty and Phil showed up.
                The Raiders do not have the ability to adapt and change. Are they still banging on about speed and "just do it"? However, they are likely the most successful in many stat columns.
                Denver- Orange Crush, and 2 "recent" SBs led by a HoF QB that cheated the NFL draft, and a team that cheated the salary cap. Not sure what other defining moments the broncos have?

I'd have to say Oakland.
                Suck is NOT a bronco fan.

Comment

Forsure not the Raiders, you can't possibly have fans who shoot each other and be a top franchise, lol.

San Diego is not a football town. They have their share of fans, but a good number of game attendees can't name all the starters.

The Chiefs are up there. Dedicated fanbase, respectable success, tradition. Run by good people. Outside of Denver, they're my top vote.

Comment

In terms of on the field, the Raiders have the advantage as a whole in virtually every category.

Outside of my team, I'd go with Denver. Been to the SB more times and had a dominant period that lasted for decades.

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
                      that's the kind of logic that people use to say aaron rodgers is better than tom brady

recently, there's a debate for that

as a whole , over a career?

forget about it

you can't say as a whole, then cite "recently" IMO
                      Yeah but 8 years is a little more than just recent history, i'd say.

And Tom Brady >>>> ARod..... just look at who won the mvp..

Comment

Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
                        In terms of on the field, the Raiders have the advantage as a whole in virtually every category.

Outside of my team, I'd go with Denver. Been to the SB more times and had a dominant period that lasted for decades.

Raiders dominance from the late 1960's to mid 1980's was an incredible period for the franchise. The past 14 of 17 years have just been so bad, it is hard for younger fans to realize it.
                        Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Working...
                        X