The Truth has come to light...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Truth has come to light...

Sorry guys, for those of you who adore and admire Mike Shanahan....but Shanahan is overrated as an NFL head coach. I'm a life long Broncos fan, and I respect Shanny, but the truth can't be ignored.

As Denver fans (and I include myself when I say this) we all put him up on a higher pedestal than he really deserved to be on.

To put this into proper perspective, he's a good coach, but not a great coach.

Yes, he brought us a pair of Super Bowls. Problem is, since then he's had 1 playoff victory with the Broncos, and none with the Skins.

I always liked him, thought he was a mastermind offensive genius, but I've finally accepted the fact that he's not as good as everyone would like to believe he his.

Shanahan and Elway, was a mutually reliant relationship. They both needed each other to accomplish the goal of becoming Super Bowl Champions. Without Shanahan, Elway wouldn't have won the Super Bowls he did. Without Elway, Shanahan has done pretty much nothing, with the exception of lifting the play of Jake Plummer to a level to get us to an AFC Championship Game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Shanahan hater, I don't despise the man, but he gets way too much credit.

His offenses are good, his play calling is usually fabulous, but from past history as it's shown, they might be too complex for his own good. Offense was never the problem here, it was always defense and special teams.

lately there's been somethings that have happened, that I just can't understand, that Shanahan's done. Namely, how do you run off a future hall of famer in McNabb? McNabb had absolutely no support last year. McNabb didn't help himself by showing up to camp out of shape and a tad heavy, went straight to Shanahan's doghouse, and that's never a good place to be, but you can't argue with what McNabb has accomplished in his career, because McNabb is a damn good QB. Running him off in lieu of Rex Grossman?

That's Shanahan's ego and pride getting in the way. But Rex Grossman over McNabb? Shanahan's gone off the deep end folks.

Further troubling, he can't get along with his own players. He ran Haynesworth out of town, instead of trying to find a way to utilize the guy to his benefit.

His play calling and decision making last year were at times baffling. Many of his challenges were extremely questionable. I think he was too hard on McNabb considering what problems the O-Line had, and the poor quality of WR/TE talent they had. McNabb might have been the best QB he's had since John Elway retired, and he got rid of him after only 1 season, surprising considering how much Shanahan likes to air it out.

He's never drafted and developed his own QB (I won't include Cutler in this discussion, because Shanahan only got 2 season's and 6 games with the kid before he was fired, so he didn't get to really completely develop Cutler to his full potential).

Brian Griese - drafted
    Jarius Jackson - drafted
    Bradlee Van Pelt - drafted
    Matt Mauck - drafted
    Jeff Lewis - drafted

not one of those guys are still in the NFL playing today.

he brought in free agents

Jake Plummer
    Steve Buerlein
    Gus Ferrotte
    Chris Miller
    Bill Musgrave
    Bubby Brister
    Danny Kanell

and none of them are still playing today.

the only one to anything at all was Plummer, but Shanahan gave up on him after repeated mistakes of which were a pair of fumbles against the Steelers in the AFC CG in 2005 and a pair of picks (4 turnovers in all) and drafted Jay Cutler and then traded Plummer, who retired and called it quits.

without John Elway, Shanahan's just about average, and like I said...overrated.

I appreciate what Mike brought to us from 95-98, but aside from that, the Broncos were pretty much average under Shanahan. we made the playoffs a few times, and only won 1 playoff game after Elway retired.
    Super Bowl XXXII, XXXIII & 50 Champs

Some Broncos fans i know were crying for Shanahan last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Safety View Post
      Sorry guys, for those of you who adore and admire Mike Shanahan....but Shanahan is overrated as an NFL head coach. I'm a life long Broncos fan, and I respect Shanny, but the truth can't be ignored.

As Denver fans (and I include myself when I say this) we all put him up on a higher pedestal than he really deserved to be on.

To put this into proper perspective, he's a good coach, but not a great coach.

Yes, he brought us a pair of Super Bowls. Problem is, since then he's had 1 playoff victory with the Broncos, and none with the Skins.

I always liked him, thought he was a mastermind offensive genius, but I've finally accepted the fact that he's not as good as everyone would like to believe he his.

Shanahan and Elway, was a mutually reliant relationship. They both needed each other to accomplish the goal of becoming Super Bowl Champions. Without Shanahan, Elway wouldn't have won the Super Bowls he did. Without Elway, Shanahan has done pretty much nothing, with the exception of lifting the play of Jake Plummer to a level to get us to an AFC Championship Game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Shanahan hater, I don't despise the man, but he gets way too much credit.

His offenses are good, his play calling is usually fabulous, but from past history as it's shown, they might be too complex for his own good. Offense was never the problem here, it was always defense and special teams.

lately there's been somethings that have happened, that I just can't understand, that Shanahan's done. Namely, how do you run off a future hall of famer in McNabb? McNabb had absolutely no support last year. McNabb didn't help himself by showing up to camp out of shape and a tad heavy, went straight to Shanahan's doghouse, and that's never a good place to be, but you can't argue with what McNabb has accomplished in his career, because McNabb is a damn good QB. Running him off in lieu of Rex Grossman?

That's Shanahan's ego and pride getting in the way. But Rex Grossman over McNabb? Shanahan's gone off the deep end folks.

Further troubling, he can't get along with his own players. He ran Haynesworth out of town, instead of trying to find a way to utilize the guy to his benefit.

His play calling and decision making last year were at times baffling. Many of his challenges were extremely questionable. I think he was too hard on McNabb considering what problems the O-Line had, and the poor quality of WR/TE talent they had. McNabb might have been the best QB he's had since John Elway retired, and he got rid of him after only 1 season, surprising considering how much Shanahan likes to air it out.

He's never drafted and developed his own QB (I won't include Cutler in this discussion, because Shanahan only got 2 season's and 6 games with the kid before he was fired, so he didn't get to really completely develop Cutler to his full potential).

Brian Griese - drafted
      Jarius Jackson - drafted
      Bradlee Van Pelt - drafted
      Matt Mauck - drafted
      Jeff Lewis - drafted

not one of those guys are still in the NFL playing today.

he brought in free agents

Jake Plummer
      Steve Buerlein
      Gus Ferrotte
      Chris Miller
      Bill Musgrave
      Bubby Brister
      Danny Kanell

and none of them are still playing today.

the only one to anything at all was Plummer, but Shanahan gave up on him after repeated mistakes of which were a pair of fumbles against the Steelers in the AFC CG in 2005 and a pair of picks (4 turnovers in all) and drafted Jay Cutler and then traded Plummer, who retired and called it quits.

without John Elway, Shanahan's just about average, and like I said...overrated.

I appreciate what Mike brought to us from 95-98, but aside from that, the Broncos were pretty much average under Shanahan. we made the playoffs a few times, and only won 1 playoff game after Elway retired.
      i guess your not writting his HOF speach
      sigpic
      when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Im pretty sure Santana moss and Chris Cooley play for the redskins and are good receivers. Also there was a run game for McNabb. The truth is he just did play that well. As for haynesworth that was more haynesworth than Shanahan. Most players aren't thrilled when they play in a position or scheme they are not familiar with or dont like but haynesworth seemed to be a cry baby about it and quit on it without giving it his all first. You cant blame him for those players.

Comment

you completely left out Terrel Davis from your post.

Where would Elway and Shanny be without him?

Quote of the year:

Comment

Where would've TD been or the entire offense been without Alex Gibbs' ZBS?

I agree with the OP somewhat but he did (coaching wise) what no one else in frachise history has done. For that, he has my ultimate respect.

Comment

Originally posted by freaky View Post
              Where would've TD been or the entire offense been without Alex Gibbs' ZBS?

I agree with the OP somewhat but he did (coaching wise) what no one else in frachise history has done. For that, he has my ultimate respect.
              I agree with your post, but I'm just saying overall, Shanahan's not as great as everyone thinks. He was the recipient of right place at the right time with the right personnel.

I can't say he's one of the all time greats, because he's not. He's no Lombardi, Belichick, Landry, or any of the other greats.

I'm can't even say he's HOF material, because IMO he just hasn't done enough to fortify that. but i fully expect a lot of disagreement on that from other posters.
              Super Bowl XXXII, XXXIII & 50 Champs

Comment

Ooohh

Too long. please
                Shaddapp

Comment

Originally posted by BOLTMAN-1 View Post

Still appearing in more Superbowls than, Phillip Rivers, and Ladanian Tomlinson combined.
                  I really like Cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by BOLTMAN-1 View Post

Shanny would still have a ring and Elway would have more AFC title wins then Rivers will even compete for. Not to mention more playoffs more playoff wins oh and more respect for then Rivers who cant make the playoffs unless he gets his division wins handed to him.

You 0-1 in your years without LT so yeah rivers success (though more based on Gates) his connected to LT right now.

Let me get this straight he drafts 1 3rd round back who cant compete and suddenly hes a joke. We didnt draft russel 1st overall or of course leaf

Norv drafted Andrew Walter in the 3rd who lasted 4 seasons before being sent to the practice squad.
                    Heath Shuler is such a famous 3rd overall pick thats hes more well known by some to be a congressman. Perhaps its the fact hes spent 5 years in congress and 4 in the nfl.

Lane Kiffin bet his future in then NFL on Russel he lost that bet.

Marty drafted Matt Blundin in the 2nd whose 3 consecutive seasons as a backup after spending most of his college career the same way begs the question why was he drafted so high?
                    After being drafted in the 2nd Mike Elkins was there for a single season and in his NFL career he threw for 5 yards and 1 INT
                    With Kosar I guess 1 out of 3 times isnt bad but not as good as Shannys 1 for 2.

Mike Riley did something right he chose Brees

Herm last drafted Croyle in the 3rd and he lasted 5 seasons before being sent to a teams practice squad. To bad Herm didnt draft to win the game
                    Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 09-08-2011, 08:11 PM.
                    2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

Would Elway have won without TD? This is the argument used for Marino not having a ring. Maybe one?

Comment

Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
                        Would Elway have won without TD? This is the argument used for Marino not having a ring. Maybe one?
                        Agreed Elway did have an amazing comeback against KC then was responsible for putting the Broncos in position to win against GB. Yet he wouldnt have been it if it werent for TD's 3 TD's in the SB and the fact he had so many yards on the ground against what was thought to be a destructive D.

Now against the Falcons TD scored 0 times and Elway who had over 3 times as many yards scored twice. Elways play in the SB trumps Rivers one and only 300+ yard playoff game in his career in the division game, so if Elway didnt earn that ring then Rivers never won a playoff game
                        2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

Whatever the case. I'll take Shanny over Wade Phillips and Josh McDaniels any day of the week. Maybe McDaniels needed more time. Maybe we'll see a couple cameos from JMCD apologists in this thread. Who knows.

Comment

Working...
                          X