Brees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
    thank god Denver didn't sign brees and drafted cutler instead.

look who you have now? you could have drew brees but instead you have a college QB trying to play big boy football.

at least the chargers nave a real NFL QB.
    You mean used to have a NFL QB Rivers is done. :thumb:
    Originally posted by baphamet
    are you talking career or right now? because i don't see how you can say manning is top 5 even healthy.dude will never be a top 5 QB again, he is done.

Comment

People have said Brady or Manning were the best quarterbacks in the last 5 seasons.

I disagree.

I'm pro-Drew Brees all the way
      Last edited by getlynched47; 12-27-2011, 09:38 AM.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
        Well, it was just a smack attempt since Brees broke the record, and how ironic he threw it to Sproles who for whatever reason they didn't keep.

I think he only signed for 3.5 mil per yr, hell of a bargain.

And yet he beat Rivers once this year
        It would not surprise me if Sproles wanted out of San Diego. San Diego had maybe 2 good plays with him but they started using it all the time and people got wise so he just started getting stuffed. Aside from those plays the offensive guru Norv Turner had no idea how to use him as evidenced by:

It's the 4th quarter with 33 SECONDS left in the game and the Chargers are on 4th down with 2 yards to go at the Ravens 15 yard line, and what do they do?

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
        Michael Turner is another guy they gave up. Crazy how you get rid of all that talent. But congratulations to Drew Brees, very spectacular player.
        The Drew Brees thing only fascinates people that didn't see it or didn't know enough about it. People thought his career was done (just like I think AP's career might be after that hit last week) so I'll never blame the Chargers for that. The only people who aren't fans of Brees in San Diego these days are a very few souls who frequent Chargers Park.

Originally posted by HavoK471 View Post
        Eh the Brees thing wasn't all that dumb

That Michael Turner move though, yeah don't know how that happened
        That one still bothers me, we're willing to be sharks with Brees but LT got to stick around for years after he started looking bad.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Puddleglum View Post
          It would not surprise me if Sproles wanted out of San Diego. San Diego had maybe 2 good plays with him but they started using it all the time and people got wise so he just started getting stuffed. Aside from those plays the offensive guru Norv Turner had no idea how to use him as evidenced by:

It's the 4th quarter with 33 SECONDS left in the game and the Chargers are on 4th down with 2 yards to go at the Ravens 15 yard line, and what do they do?

The Drew Brees thing only fascinates people that didn't see it or didn't know enough about it. People thought his career was done (just like I think AP's career might be after that hit last week) so I'll never blame the Chargers for that. The only people who aren't fans of Brees in San Diego these days are a very few souls who frequent Chargers Park.

That one still bothers me, we're willing to be sharks with Brees but LT got to stick around for years after he started looking bad.
          You really think it would have went over well had they released LT after he just won his 2nd Rushing title to go with what was still an unproven RB in Turner? It's always easy to look back and say man if we only would have done this or that.

I don't place much blame on the Chargers to part with Brees or Turner in the situation they were at the time. I do blame them for how they handled Sproles.

Comment

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
            thank god Denver didn't sign brees and drafted cutler instead.

look who you have now? you could have drew brees but instead you have a college QB trying to play big boy football.

at least the chargers nave a real NFL QB.

and yet your wins keep declining
            sigpic
            when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Originally posted by NFLfan..MLBzzzz View Post
              You really think it would have went over well had they released LT after he just won his 2nd Rushing title to go with what was still an unproven RB in Turner? It's always easy to look back and say man if we only would have done this or that.

I don't place much blame on the Chargers to part with Brees or Turner in the situation they were at the time. I do blame them for how they handled Sproles.
              I think the questions you need to ask are:

1. How did Turner do when he was in for LT.

2. What year did LT start tanking and how old was he.

3. What would have been the trade value of LT instead of letting Turner walk.

I thought the wrong RB left San Diego then and I still think it now.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by arapaho View Post
                sigpic

Comment

Well I'll take them in the Order you gave.

1. He did well but had never carried a full load and even after his one good season hasn't been really that great.

2. LT's 1st subpar year by his standards was 2008. So like I said hindsight is always easy to 2nd guess. You weren't gonna let LT go after the 2 seasons he had just had in 06' & 07'. He had just come off 2 seasons of leading the league in Rushing yards and TDs. It would have made the fan base pissed off had they traded him. Let's face it he was the face of the Chargers 2001-2007. Also was 1 year removed from breaking about a dozen NFL records. What do you think his trade value would have been coming off his 1st real injury ever anyways???

3. Hard to trade the best player your franchise has ever had and not piss off alot of season ticket holders and lose sales. You think the Colts are going to trade Manning so they can Draft Luck? I don't think so.

Turner has had one really good year and even then it probably isn't even close to LT's better years. Since then he has been a good RB but nothing spectacular. Would have been nice to sign and trade him. But there are alot worse things AJ has done In recent years then letting Turner go and keeping LT.
                  Last edited by NFLfan..MLBzzzz; 12-27-2011, 11:29 AM.

Comment

1. He did well but had never carried a full load and even after his one good season hasn't been really that great.
                    You totally nailed it when you said he did well but never carried a full load. He got hurt in his second season with the Falcons even though he could have eclipsed his first year with them, as far as his other seasons not being as good, it's hard to argue against a 1,000 yard runner when the team keeps trying so desperately to change to a passing team but always go back to Turner when things get tough.

2. LT's 1st subpar year by his standards was 2008. So like I said hindsight is always easy to 2nd guess. You weren't gonna let LT go after the 2 seasons he had just had in 06' & 07'. He had just come off 2 seasons of leading the league in Rushing yards and TDs. It would have made the fan base pissed off had they traded him. Let's face it he was the face of the Chargers 2001-2007. Also was 1 year removed from breaking about a dozen NFL records. What do you think his trade value would have been coming off his 1st real injury ever anyways???
                    It's pre-season 2008 the Chargers need to part ways with a RB who is not Sproles. You have a 29 year old proven stud that has been very successful for you for 7 years and has received an enormous amount of carries. You have a 26 year old that you took a flier on in the third round and it turns out you got a gem who hasn't seen the kind of beating in 4 years that your other RB got in one.

They both had promising futures, but in 2008 one star was on the rise and the other on the decline. Especially considering we were transitioning to a passing team under Norv.

3. Hard to trade the best player your franchise has ever had and not piss off alot of season ticket holders and lose sales. You think the Colts are going to trade Manning so they can Draft Luck? I don't think so.
                    Emotions have wrecked many a good decision. I'd trade Manning and get a bounty for him. You need to rebuild the Colts and Peyton won't be around forever. Besides, if certain teams bagged Manning through a trade they would be going to the SB.

Turner has had one really good year and even then it probably isn't even close to LT's better years. Since then he has been a good RB but nothing spectacular. Would have been nice to sign and trade him. But there are alot worse things AJ has done In recent years then letting Turner go and keeping LT.
                    Michael Turner beat a 4.0 yard average in 2008 and after which is more than LT could say until he went to the Jets. The thing is when you say "Turner had one really good year" and "isn't even close to LT's better years." You need to remember which of those happened before the 2008 preseason and which one happened after it.

As for it being one of the worst things AJ has done in his time I'd say it's still blowing 1st and 2nd round picks but at least with Turner and LT he was dealing with known quantities.

It has been a pleasure to discuss this with clearly a knowledgeable and loyal Charger fan, and for the record LT will always have a special place in my heart.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                      You mean used to have a NFL QB Rivers is done. :thumb:
                      Originally posted by arapaho View Post
                      wishful thinking.....wishing you actually had a QB, now you are stuck with tebow and quinn LMAO!!!!

thinking rivers is done is almost as hilarious as thinking rivers is basically ryan leaf on a good team.
                      sigpic

Comment

no way in hell do you let the guy who held the rushing and TD title walk for a back up. i hate AJ as much as the next guy but lets be realistic here.

it doesn't matter what he did in relief for LT or how old LT was, LT just won back to back rushing and TD titles and you think we should have let him go after that?

by the way, we have Mathews who didn't have too bad of a year himself.
                        sigpic

Comment

You totally nailed it when you said he did well but never carried a full load. He got hurt in his second season with the Falcons even though he could have eclipsed his first year with them, as far as his other seasons not being as good, it's hard to argue against a 1,000 yard runner when the team keeps trying so desperately to change to a passing team but always go back to Turner when things get tough.

It's pre-season 2008 the Chargers need to part ways with a RB who is not Sproles. You have a 29 year old proven stud that has been very successful for you for 7 years and has received an enormous amount of carries. You have a 26 year old that you took a flier on in the third round and it turns out you got a gem who hasn't seen the kind of beating in 4 years that your other RB got in one.

They both had promising futures, but in 2008 one star was on the rise and the other on the decline. Especially considering we were transitioning to a passing team under Norv.

Emotions have wrecked many a good decision. I'd trade Manning and get a bounty for him. You need to rebuild the Colts and Peyton won't be around forever. Besides, if certain teams bagged Manning through a trade they would be going to the SB.

Michael Turner beat a 4.0 yard average in 2008 and after which is more than LT could say until he went to the Jets. The thing is when you say "Turner had one really good year" and "isn't even close to LT's better years." You need to remember which of those happened before the 2008 preseason and which one happened after it.

As for it being one of the worst things AJ has done in his time I'd say it's still blowing 1st and 2nd round picks but at least with Turner and LT he was dealing with known quantities.

It has been a pleasure to discuss this with clearly a knowledgeable and loyal Charger fan, and for the record LT will always have a special place in my heart.

You also have to consider LT's skills are better suited to Norv's style of offense. Turner is a liability in the passing game as he isnt nearly the threat to catch the ball out of the backfield & wasnt as good in pass protection as LT.

Thanks for the compliment & yes it is nice to to debate past issues with other Chargers fans. Of all those bad decisions had they kept Sproles I think they take the division this year.

Brees i'm not so sure he would have had the success here he has had under Payton & in the Dome in NO. I'm a big fan of his & am glad he has had success as i've had a chance to meet him & play in his golf tourney out here in SD.

Turner....I can live with that decision as I think Mathews has the potential to have an even better career then him.

Comment

Working...
                          X