Alleged "Poor Play Calling"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alleged "Poor Play Calling"

Everyone trying to cover for Tebow's performance last week by claiming he was "handicapped" by play calling is watching with University of Florida Orange Gatorade tinted shades. The plays being called are the only ones Tebow is able to execute successfully. By analogy, most weekend golfers can take their Driver, 2 Wood, 3 Iron, 4 Iron, and Pitching Wedge out of their golf bag and still play just as crappy. There's a good reason Tebow doesn't get to pull a "Driver" out of the play calling bag - he is not capable of hitting it accurately with consistency.

I've never been a Florida Gator fan, and the play calling in the second quarter was awful. 9 plays in a row were called right up the middle. Even Phil Simms commented on how predictable they were being with their play calling. Would a play action pass really have been a bad idea.....really?
    sigpic
    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by BoilerVette View Post
      Everyone trying to cover for Tebow's performance last week by claiming he was "handicapped" by play calling is watching with University of Florida Orange Gatorade tinted shades. The plays being called are the only ones Tebow is able to execute successfully. By analogy, most weekend golfers can take their Driver, 2 Wood, 3 Iron, 4 Iron, and Pitching Wedge out of their golf bag and still play just as crappy. There's a good reason Tebow doesn't get to pull a "Driver" out of the play calling bag - he is not capable of hitting it accurately with consistency.
      Running up the middle and leaving yourself in 3rd and long is asinine and has nothing to do with Tebow's accuracy. NcCoy is a stubborn and predictable playcaller. I'm a VT Hokie fan, so nice try.
      sigpic

Comment

I would probably drop the word "Everyone" from your statements.

Our young QB had a terrible game which is to be expected from a first year starter with one off season to work with the team. Let's hope he can bounce back and lead us into the playoffs with a victory this weekend.

Not much else to say really. It's apparent that you don't like the kid but is this type of thread really necessary? ...

sigpic

Defense wins championships

Comment

I don't watch college ball. Never have. I didn't even know who Tebow was when he was drafted. I can recognize piss poor play calling however and the Broncos get an unhealthy dose of it each and every week.

Comment

University of Florida Orange Gatorade tinted shades
            Hmmm, do they look like this:

Or maybe...

Comment

9 Runs Up The Middle??

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
              I've never been a Florida Gator fan, and the play calling in the second quarter was awful. 9 plays in a row were called right up the middle. Even Phil Simms commented on how predictable they were being with their play calling. Would a play action pass really have been a bad idea.....really?

My response is that a properly coached and educated QB would be able to recognize a defensive advantage and call an audible for a play with a greater chance of success. Bit if your game strategy is to rely completely on the defense to hold the opponent to 10 points for 4 quarters while the offense goes 3 and out for 55 minutes until the opponent's offense does something abominably stupid to give you the ball back ... then Tebow is your man.

Comment

I have to reiterate, wow. I'm going to use an argument here regarding the play calling that you yourself or folks of similar opinion may have used with regards to Tebow in the recent past. Use your eyes. Sure, I like the offense, I think the offense can be very successful at some point if the right plays are called, but you look at whether or not the plays are successful or not, you look at the fact that the opposing defenses are completely stuffing every play, you don't look just at stats, watch the game, what the offensive plays that are called, it's a serious problem. Who's calling the plays?

See what I did thar? I don't know who's to blame for what seems like every game there is a switch that is thrown after the very first drive and it looks like a different person is all of a sudden calling the plays. Is this direction coming from Fox? Or is it McCoy that's completely changing the offensive philosophy after the first drive? I don't know who's doing it, but they need to be slapped and then fired.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                  This.

There is absolutely no excuse for McCoy to call 3 runs in a row on the same drive. It resulted in the obvious 3 and out. Simms was 100% correct.
                  11/22/11

Comment

My response is that a properly coached and educated QB would be able to recognize a defensive advantage and call an audible for a play with a greater chance of success. Bit if your game strategy is to rely completely on the defense to hold the opponent to 10 points for 4 quarters while the offense goes 3 and out for 55 minutes until the opponent's offense does something abominably stupid to give you the ball back ... then Tebow is your man.
                    Ever occurred to you that Fox isn't allowing any audibles for the vast majority of the game? I seem to remember reading somewhere that Fox doesn't allow audibles very often, and never has. Don't know for sure, but just throwing that out there.

Comment

VT Fan's Understanding of QB'ing

Originally posted by Buckin' Bronco View Post
                      Running up the middle and leaving yourself in 3rd and long is asinine and has nothing to do with Tebow's accuracy. NcCoy is a stubborn and predictable playcaller. I'm a VT Hokie fan, so nice try.
                      My point is that the entire Bronco Playbook has been culled to 2 or 3 pages BECAUSE of Tebow's limited ability and experience. It is better to NOT take chances turning the ball over on your own end of the field and punt as long as the score is close. Play action passes require the QB to turn his back on the defense and then try and find the receiver - unless it's a simple quick sideline pattern it is not as easy as it looks. Quick sideline patterns usually don't get you 12 yards unless the DB misses a tackle.

Comment

Even during our win streak, play calling was horrible. Tebow had a bad game yes, but if your going to keep putting any young QB in third and long situations, expect those kind of results.
                        Co-founders of the

sigpic

Comment

Just for the record, Fox and McCoy already had a reputation for this kind of play calling, but if your diatribe makes you feel good, then have at it...
                          sigpic
                          Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

My point is that the entire Bronco Playbook has been culled to 2 or 3 pages BECAUSE of Tebow's limited ability and experience. It is better to NOT take chances turning the ball over on your own end of the field and punt as long as the score is close. Play action passes require the QB to turn his back on the defense and then try and find the receiver - unless it's a simple quick sideline pattern it is not as easy as it looks. Quick sideline patterns usually don't get you 12 yards unless the DB misses a tackle.
                            Pure BS. McCoy plays not to lose that's a fact! Tebow has shown the ability to throw the ball pinpoint at times, but it's hard for any QB to be successful if the D knows what's coming series after series. Run, run, pass. Yeah I'm a Hokie fan and damn proud of it.
                            Last edited by Buckin' Bronco; 12-29-2011, 01:26 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

I don't know if saying everyone and Florida Gators was the best category to lump everyone in.

I definitely get what your saying how the play calling is limited and the driver analogy. I'm sure there are no 3rd or 4th options on pass plays ( I think this has been admitted by someone). Probably no WR option routes etc. It even could be just one receiver and a check down.

not sure if Tebow is the best fit for the conservative coaches. I would half to say at this point I would rather have Fox than Tebow if I had to choose.

Comment

Working...
                              X