X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baphamet
    replied
    Originally posted by jhildebrand View Post
    It doesn't matter. My team still had to win ENOUGH games and the RIGHT games to get in. It doesn't mean it was purely handed to them.

The Chargers have NO EXCUSES for their massive underachievements!

The double standard of Spanos is GLARING. Football god's have cursed them for the Marty firing.
    so you don't think the fact that marty and AJ hated each other had anything to do with it?

i wouldn't say its a double standard as much as it was just a bad decision, much like the bad decision to keep bethard over ross.

they never seem to learn apparently.

Leave a comment:

• AFCWEST
    replied
    It doesn't matter. My team still had to win ENOUGH games and the RIGHT games to get in. It doesn't mean it was purely handed to them.

The double standard of Spanos is GLARING. Football god's have cursed them for the Marty firing.
    Little more then a coin flip....Top 3 teams were 8-8....

Leave a comment:

• jhildebrand
    replied
    Originally posted by AFCWEST View Post
    Your win was by a mathematical equation of common opponents, not pure wins and loses. The Raiders, Chiefs, and Chargers will be ready.

Leave a comment:

• DevilSpawn
    replied
    Great news. Looks like 9-7 wins the division next year.

So Marty gets fired after losing in the playoffs, but Norv stays after his second straight year out the playoffs in a weak division?

Leave a comment:

• Puddleglum
    replied
    You are miles ahead of the Broncos in talent and other catgeories which makes our winning the division all the more laughable! It also shows what a MASSIVE underachievement and failure those two did!
    I keep telling people that it wouldn't hurt if the Chargers were talentless cellar-dwellers. I'd be fine with it actually, I have no problem simply watching my team play spoiler for other teams. However, this team has been SB or bust for what 6 years now? Hard to go to the SB if you cannot even get to playoffs, cause then you have to get tickets, hotel, etc.

Now your team has gone out and fired Manusky! What a joke. He got scape goated! Talk about mixed messages! Norv and AJ can fail at monumnetal proportions for years but he gets ONE shot. SAD. SAD. SAD state of affairs in San Diego. This just reeks of how spineless and lame AJ and Norv are to have fired him.
    Make no mistake Manusky has been sacrificed to an angry and ravenous San Diego horde in an effort to pacify them (click the link it goes to the press release which is...pretty much an attempt at career assassination). Regardless, he loved the prevent defense and I am VERY glad he has gone from a football philosophy standpoint.

The kicker? I can understand why Manusky played the way he did, and he has very little to work with on that defense. 4 D-coordinators in 6 years, makes you wonder if the problem lies elsewhere...

This all but ensures another year of mediocrity San Diego. Enjoy it.
    The WORST part about all of this is that on San Diego sports radio these days it is being said that Spanos did reach out to people around Cowher and Fisher (because asking them directly must just rub football coaches the wrong way) but they refuse to come to San Diego because they did not want to work with AJ Smith.

...So apparently that doesn't mean you fire AJ too, it means Norv and AJ come back for another year (any of you graphics wizards out there able to do a batman and robin or Lord of the/no Rings with AJ and Norv? It would be priceless). So, knowing that Norv and who knows about AJ anymore has one year left on them will a high quality defensive coordinator want to come in? Heck no, and of irony of ironies, as I write this John Pagano (our LB'ers coach) has been promoted to D-Coordinator.

I don't know what is so freaking appealing about continuity but here Chargers, have some from me.

I'd like to take this time to apologize for the coming price spike in the international vodka markets, I'm merely...trying to forget.

Leave a comment:

• AFCWEST
    replied
    You are miles ahead of the Broncos in talent and other catgeories which makes our winning the division all the more laughable! It also shows what a MASSIVE underachievement and failure those two did! This division has been weak for years! When the AFCE was weak, NE was winning SB's!!!

Now your team has gone out and fired Manusky! What a joke. He got scape goated! Talk about mixed messages! Norv and AJ can fail at monumnetal proportions for years but he gets ONE shot. SAD. SAD. SAD state of affairs in San Diego. This just reeks of how spineless and lame AJ and Norv are to have fired him.

Your win was by a mathematical equation of common opponents, not pure wins and loses. The Raiders, Chiefs, and Chargers will be ready.

Leave a comment:

• arapaho
    replied
    and the hits keep comeing

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack

The San Diego Chargers are not likely to give wide receiver Vincent Jackson the franchise tag if they are unable to sign him, according to the U-T San Diego.

Jackson, 28, had the franchise tag placed on him by the Chargers last offseason, resulting in a one-year contract worth around $11 million. If the team decides to place the franchise tag on Jackson for the 2012 season, it would cost around $13 million. Sources told the newspaper that the team probably would not devote that much money to a single receiver for a one-year deal

come on cheap aj....dont pay the man...let another one slip for free

Leave a comment:

• jhildebrand
    replied
    Originally posted by NoRingNoGlory View Post
    You might be right about some points but even with AJ/Norv we are still miles ahead of the Broncos. Vs the Broncos though AJ/Norv have been pretty much brilliant.
    You are miles ahead of the Broncos in talent and other catgeories which makes our winning the division all the more laughable! It also shows what a MASSIVE underachievement and failure those two did! This division has been weak for years! When the AFCE was weak, NE was winning SB's!!!

Leave a comment:

• NoRingNoGlory
    replied
    I said, long before anybody else, that Norv AND AJ were your teams problems. I said they fired Marty a year too soon. This isn't about Marty.

This is about your team and Norv and AJ's status.

I have consistently blasted the Spanos family as cheap and about the bottom line akin to the Rockies' Monfort family. [check my post history! a lot of this i have said for over 3 seasons now!]

If Spanos and company keep Norv and AJ for even one more year they are basically flipping you guys the bird and telling you you don't matter!

How would you handle that? What would you do?
    You might be right about some points but even with AJ/Norv we are still miles ahead of the Broncos. Vs the Broncos though AJ/Norv have been pretty much brilliant.

Leave a comment:

• jhildebrand
    replied
    Originally posted by CHARGER$ View Post
    All we heard here in SD is that when these two were fired they would have jobs the next day meaning spanos would pay any difference in pay, don't think it's a money issue as much as it is just bad decision making. Think rivers backing norv had a lot to do with norv staying as well.
    What else would Rivers do publicly? Had he not given that vote of confidence, no matter how hollow, and Norv was retained it would be an interesting dilemma.

They would have been hired elsewhere and I sincerely doubt Spanos would have paid out much on Norv. Even then, a SB run and a home playoff game(s) would pay out much more.

The loss of the fanbase, potentially anyway, is far greater than the savings. Business 101.

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
    its not that hes cheap, hes just flat out dumb. its not like he isn't spending money, the chargers have a higher team salary than the broncos do.

we just make dumb decisions as an organization. this is why we are ringless, its not because we have some curse, its just bad ownership.
    The elder Spanos is known as cheap. That is and has been the reputation. The younger Spanos had been changing that.

As far as a higher team salary, don't let that fool you! Bowlen paid 3 coaches this year! He paid Shanahan, McDaniels, and Fox! It was quite the sum! I think Shanahan was between 7 and 9 million. McDaniels was around 3 million and Fox around 2! This team also hasn't spent much because it had for so long under Shanahan and finally got out from under some of the bad deals i.e. Orton.

There are great candidates out there. I think Norv is like Wade and Lebeau forever the great coordinator not coach. He is just good enough. AJ has been there too long.

Finally, your team sold the fanbase a bill of goods with Marty. It insisted it was a SB caliber team and his failure in the PO's was reason enough to excuse him.

Now Norv has missed the PO's 2 straight years yet he is not only retained but told "he and AJ are the guys to win them a SB!"

If they were, they would have by now.

Leave a comment:

• baphamet
    replied
    Spanos is cheap. That is all there is to it.

Spanos is to the NFL what Monfort is to MLB.
    its not that hes cheap, hes just flat out dumb. its not like he isn't spending money, the chargers have a higher team salary than the broncos do.

we just make dumb decisions as an organization. this is why we are ringless, its not because we have some curse, its just bad ownership.

Leave a comment:

• baphamet
    replied
    Originally posted by CHARGER$ View Post
    All we heard here in SD is that when these two were fired they would have jobs the next day meaning spanos would pay any difference in pay, don't think it's a money issue as much as it is just bad decision making. Think rivers backing norv had a lot to do with norv staying as well.
    pretty much this ^

spanos is a tool bag.

Leave a comment:

• CHARGER$
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jhildebrand
    replied
    Spanos is cheap. That is all there is to it.

Spanos is to the NFL what Monfort is to MLB.

Leave a comment:

• NFLfan..MLBzzzz
    replied
    It probably came down to not wanting to pay them both 2 more years. Season ticket fan base is going to take a hit that's for sure.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X