Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manning winning another Big One in Denver? Not so fast.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Manning winning another Big One in Denver? Not so fast.

    What was Elway thinking when he signed Manning to a $96 million contract?
    Was he really thinking "Super Bowl" or just "Contending" or just "Playoffs", or just "winning season(s)"? I think he was thinking "beat the Chargers"

    Anyway, I realize there are a lot of Denver fans thinking Manning has returned back to his 2008/09 form and is going to win them 1 if not 2 more rings before he hangs up his cleats. Get real, this has never happened to a Championship QB after he switched teams late in his career.

    http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/37216354http://

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...m-major-injury

    "Sift through NFL history and you’ll find plenty of former quarterbacks who tried and failed to cheat time when they parted ways with their original teams. Namath was a physical heap when he left New York for Los Angeles, same for Johnny Unitas with the Chargers. But those are extreme cases, involving players who were toast well before they left. For more relevant examples, it’s better to offer up Brett Favre and Kurt Warner and Montana.

    When he pouted his way out of Green Bay, Favre, like Manning, was on a mission to double his Super Bowl victories. But wherever Favre went, drama, not Super Bowls, followed. He soon became a parody, talked more about for his will-he-or-won’t-he retirement stakeouts on ESPN and his embarrassing cell phone self-photography than for his play.

    Then there’s Warner, who was largely seen as washed-up once he left the Rams. As fate would have it, he landed in New York to tutor young Eli Manning. From there he went to Arizona and delayed his professional demise with a smashing return to the Super Bowl, but he was robbed of a debate-proof Hall-of-Fame entry when Santonio Holmes squeezed the greatest catch in Bowl history.

    Montana didn’t need any more championship rings for validation when he was nudged out of San Francisco by Steve Young, but in every other way his situation compares most favorably to Manning’s. Montana was 37 when he joined the Chiefs, yet he still had smarts and touch. But like the others, if a Super Bowl victory is the measuring stick, he, too, came up short in his second act."


    None, in other words, did what Manning is trying to pull off AND what Elway is delusionally confident of.

    One thing is for sure, you can't teach an old "Colt" new "Donkey Tricks".

    Vote and Discuss.
    43
    Yes, at least 1 SB
    79.07%
    34
    No, can't win another one
    9.30%
    4
    No, but will choke in the playoffs
    4.65%
    2
    No cause his forehead is too big
    6.98%
    3
    Last edited by NoRingNoGlory; 09-26-2012, 10:58 AM.
    Sorry Denver Haters...I've been on an extended business trip....:thumb:

  • #2
    When John Elway gave Peyton the farm in order to entice him into coming to the Mile High City, he did so thinking that Peyton could do the one thing that Brian Griese, Gus Frerotte, Steve Beuerlein, Danny Kannell, Jarious Jackson, Jake Plummer, Jay Cutler, Chris Simms, Kyle Orton, or Tim Tebow couldn't do.

    Win another Super Bowl.

    As great as it would be to see one of the greatest of all time hoisting the Lombardi Trophy overhead one more time it just isn't going to happen. History says so.

    Farve, Montana, Namath, and Unitas....(all four great QBs)..had one thing in common...they all failed to win the Super Bowl after switching teams late in their careers. While its still up in the air if Peyton Manning will make a huge difference in the regular season and in the post season fortunes of the Broncos, he is only one man and one man can only do so much. He might just be washed up sooner than people expect him to be.
    Last edited by NoRingNoGlory; 09-26-2012, 11:02 AM.
    Sorry Denver Haters...I've been on an extended business trip....:thumb:

    Comment


    • #3

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Frankenpost View Post
        What say you? Superbowl or Bust?
        Sorry Denver Haters...I've been on an extended business trip....:thumb:

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Frankenpost View Post
          Yeah, it's pretty sad how obsessed he is with the Broncos.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by NoRingNoGlory View Post
            What was Elway thinking when he signed Manning to a $96 million contract?
            Was he really thinking "Super Bowl" or just "Contending" or just "Playoffs", or just "winning season(s)"? I think he was thinking "beat the Chargers"

            Anyway, I realize there are a lot of Denver fans thinking Manning has returned back to his 2008/09 form and is going to win them 1 if not 2 more rings before he hangs up his cleats. Get real, this has never happened to a Championship QB after he switched teams late in his career.

            http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/37216354http://

            http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...m-major-injury

            "Sift through NFL history and you’ll find plenty of former quarterbacks who tried and failed to cheat time when they parted ways with their original teams. Namath was a physical heap when he left New York for Los Angeles, same for Johnny Unitas with the Chargers. But those are extreme cases, involving players who were toast well before they left. For more relevant examples, it’s better to offer up Brett Favre and Kurt Warner and Montana.

            When he pouted his way out of Green Bay, Favre, like Manning, was on a mission to double his Super Bowl victories. But wherever Favre went, drama, not Super Bowls, followed. He soon became a parody, talked more about for his will-he-or-won’t-he retirement stakeouts on ESPN and his embarrassing cell phone self-photography than for his play.

            Then there’s Warner, who was largely seen as washed-up once he left the Rams. As fate would have it, he landed in New York to tutor young Eli Manning. From there he went to Arizona and delayed his professional demise with a smashing return to the Super Bowl, but he was robbed of a debate-proof Hall-of-Fame entry when Santonio Holmes squeezed the greatest catch in Bowl history.

            Montana didn’t need any more championship rings for validation when he was nudged out of San Francisco by Steve Young, but in every other way his situation compares most favorably to Manning’s. Montana was 37 when he joined the Chiefs, yet he still had smarts and touch. But like the others, if a Super Bowl victory is the measuring stick, he, too, came up short in his second act."


            None, in other words, did what Manning is trying to pull off AND what Elway is delusionally confident of.

            One thing is for sure, you can't teach an old "Colt" new "Donkey Tricks".

            Vote and Discuss.
            Peyton gives us a much better chance to win a Super Bowl than any other quarterback that we've had. lol its so stupid how he's only played 3 games, 1 against a good team, 2 against conference leaders and people are already saying that he can't win a Super Bowl or he's a bust. Give it a rest he has a 85.6 QBR this season. That's a SB quarterback level QBR, and if somebody says we don't have a legitimate chance at a SB because of a 1-2 start they're retarted. I'm sick of seeing threads like "Comparison to last year..." or "If we had Tebow..." and your thread. John Elway won his SB's when he was older than Manning, so history in this case, means nothing. And if not a SB this year, why not next year? or the year after?
            UNITED IN ORANGE!

            Comment


            • #7
              Not gonna happen, we won't be able to snatch the division away from the Chargers. Their just loaded. HOF RB Tomlinson, Vjax, sproles, and the most dominant TE in the league!

              OH WAIT
              sigpic

              Hooray, beer!

              Comment


              • #8
                Not sure if they will, it's hard as heck to win the SB.

                NE hasn't won the SB since 04 and they have one of the top 2 QB's in the league.

                It takes luck, some good health among other things to win it all. Could they do it, sure, will they, who knows.

                I know SD won't win a SB anytime soon, that's for sure.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by orangebarrel View Post
                  Give it a rest he has a 85.6 QBR this season.
                  I think you're confusing the QBR (ESPN created rating number) and Quarterback Rating used by the NFL.

                  Manning's Quarterback Rating is indeed 85.6 vs. a 94.7 career average

                  His QBR is only 70.0
                  http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

                  QBR of 85.6 would indeed be SB material, however a QBR 70.0 is borderline at best.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Check Ur Facts View Post
                    I think you're confusing the QBR (ESPN created rating number) and Quarterback Rating used by the NFL.

                    Manning's Quarterback Rating is indeed 85.6 vs. a 94.7 career average

                    His QBR is only 70.0
                    http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

                    QBR of 85.6 would indeed be SB material, however a QBR 70.0 is borderline at best.
                    Ah, thank you. Indeed I did mix up the rating with the QBR. They still have him as a top tier Quarterback though, even above his brother. So is 50.0 average in the rating or QBR?
                    UNITED IN ORANGE!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      First of all it takes over a month of games for a QB to adjust to a new team as well as the team to adjust to the changes in schemes, so identifying what hes doing now is not likely to be the same as what he will continue to do. The timing is not down yet which disrupts a lot of plays with receivers not being where they need to be when they need to be there. This may or may not impact the dropped balls, since it disrupts the rhythm of the game. That and he must adjust to the changes in arm strength (many point out hes just taking long till hes actually putting more zip on the ball and by the 4th hes looking a lot more like his old self) This means making adjustments such as warming up for a longer period before the game. Also, as experts have pointed out that he is likely to improve from his current status of recovery.

                      However, this does not excuse poor coaching decisions, nor does it excuse the D from its lack of control on 3rd down. Brookings is the closest thing to a leader in that defense and thats a problem. Where our current D is at I do not think this year we can win a SB. Yet, if we can make some improvements Manning can guide us through it next year.

                      I am not confident we have the pieces to really make a run with Manning, but that doesnt mean we cant get them.
                      2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by NoRingNoGlory View Post
                        When John Elway gave Peyton the farm in order to entice him into coming to the Mile High City, he did so thinking that Peyton could do the one thing that Brian Griese, Gus Frerotte, Steve Beuerlein, Danny Kannell, Jarious Jackson, Jake Plummer, Jay Cutler, Chris Simms, Kyle Orton, or Tim Tebow couldn't do.

                        Win another Super Bowl.

                        As great as it would be to see one of the greatest of all time hoisting the Lombardi Trophy overhead one more time it just isn't going to happen. History says so.

                        Farve, Montana, Namath, and Unitas....(all four great QBs)..had one thing in common...they all failed to win the Super Bowl after switching teams late in their careers. While its still up in the air if Peyton Manning will make a huge difference in the regular season and in the post season fortunes of the Broncos, he is only one man and one man can only do so much. He might just be washed up sooner than people expect him to be.
                        Getting to the SB is possible Morton and Warner did it, besides there is a difference between not probable and not possible and your confusing the 2
                        2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Frankenpost View Post
                          ..................... says it all
                          Originally posted by baphamet
                          are you talking career or right now? because i don't see how you can say manning is top 5 even healthy.dude will never be a top 5 QB again, he is done.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by orangebarrel View Post
                            Ah, thank you. Indeed I did mix up the rating with the QBR. They still have him as a top tier Quarterback though, even above his brother. So is 50.0 average in the rating or QBR?
                            50 is average for qbr. 70 is actually pretty amazing. over the course of a season only a handful of qbs will have a qbr above 70.

                            and yeah peyton is winning the sb this year with the broncos.
                            Chargers will be sitting at home watching it like always

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by TheSheriff View Post
                              and yeah peyton is winning the sb this year with the broncos.
                              Chargers will be sitting at home watching it like always
                              Pretty bold statement and prediction. Logged.
                              Sorry Denver Haters...I've been on an extended business trip....:thumb:

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X