Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NoRingNoGlory
    replied
    Champ looked pretty washed up. Not sure if moving him to FS is gonna do the broncos any good.

Leave a comment:

• mct1967
    replied
    Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    name 5 that switched and did well...without looking it up.

What do I think will happen? Champ will retire a CB. Count on it.
    I've already mentioned Ronnie Lott and here is a sports writer who agrees with me....

"it's probably just a matter of time until Denver 12-year veteran Champ Bailey, a 10-time Pro Bowl cornerback and potential future Hall of Fame member, goes to safety. Some NFL personnel people feel that San Diego cornerback Quentin Jammer will eventually make the move. Ronde Barber of Tampa Bay, arguably the best slot cornerback in the league in recent seasons, has for years been regarded as a safety candidate."

Champ moving to FS is not as improbable as you may think.

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied
    Originally posted by mct1967 View Post
    I left out "who can tackle", so...

I'll bet you almost every starting CB who can tackle, who gets too old to guard WR1s or WR2s, moves to free-safety. I've seen it lots of times. I think Champ has enough talent left to be a good FS.

So if Del Rio and Fox dont move Champ to a safety, what do you think will happen? Champ is not getting any younger or faster, he's going to get to the point soon where the WR1s are burning him on a regular basis. So what do ya do? Trade him? Trading him or moving him are the only options. What happened on Sat. to Champ will not be an isolated incident and Torry Smith isnt even that great of a WR.
    name 5 that switched and did well...without looking it up.

What do I think will happen? Champ will retire a CB. Count on it.
    Last edited by broncos SB2010; 01-15-2013, 03:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mct1967
    replied
    Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    That isn't true at all. Most CB never play safety and many who tried didn't do very well. Some have as you pointed out but to say almost every older CB moves to safety is not even close to the truth.
    I left out "who can tackle", so...

I'll bet you almost every starting CB who can tackle, who gets too old to guard WR1s or WR2s, moves to free-safety. I've seen it lots of times. I think Champ has enough talent left to be a good FS.

So if Del Rio and Fox dont move Champ to a safety, what do you think will happen? Champ is not getting any younger or faster, he's going to get to the point soon where the WR1s are burning him on a regular basis. So what do ya do? Trade him? Trading him or moving him are the only options. What happened on Sat. to Champ will not be an isolated incident and Torry Smith isnt even that great of a WR.

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied
    If you're referring to me as the "ignorant fan"...two things....

1. Just about every CB starter who gets long in the tooth, eventually moves to safety. Ronnie Lott is one HOFer who did it and there are countless others.

2. If I'm so ignorant, why are there others in this thread who agree with me?

If you disagree with me...fine. But dont call me ignorant, when its your ignorance about how starting CBs usually end their careers is the ignorance thats been displayed.
    That isn't true at all. Most CB never play safety and many who tried didn't do very well. Some have as you pointed out but to say almost every older CB moves to safety is not even close to the truth.

Leave a comment:

• mct1967
    replied
    Originally posted by Beagle View Post
    It's a really sad the ignorance of some "fans" nice post dude cp
    If you're referring to me as the "ignorant fan"...two things....

1. Just about every CB starter who gets long in the tooth, eventually moves to safety. Ronnie Lott is one HOFer who did it and there are countless others.

2. If I'm so ignorant, why are there others in this thread who agree with me?

If you disagree with me...fine. But dont call me ignorant, when its your ignorance about how starting CBs usually end their careers is the ignorance thats been displayed.

Leave a comment:

• DishWater
    replied
    I agree. This has been coming for sometime -- it's not just from being butthurt after a loss. Get real.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    Originally posted by Puddleglum View Post
    I am Puddleglum, and I approve this message.

Bingo

For what it is worth, I was a doubter of Moore seeing him play his rookie year but he has progressed. That's "Moore" than can be said for many SD draft picks in the past 3 years.
    It's a really sad the ignorance of some "fans" nice post dude cp

Leave a comment:

• Puddleglum
    replied
    Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
    Shame on Champ for not being as fast as one of the fastest WRs in the league. Look, nobody can cover Smith on a streak for 4+ seconds. It's simple physics. The Ravens' o-line was allowed to do whatever they wanted on Saturday and the pass rush couldn't get there. A scheme takes 11 guys getting the job done to work.

Champ is still head and shoulder the best CB on our roster, on just about every team's roster. Until we have someone in place that can make his move to safety more lucrative than destructive it's out of the question.
    I am Puddleglum, and I approve this message.

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
    we will take him if you guys don't want him
    Bingo

For what it is worth, I was a doubter of Moore seeing him play his rookie year but he has progressed. That's "Moore" than can be said for many SD draft picks in the past 3 years.

Leave a comment:

• fightinglee
    replied
    Champ would make a dangerous safety with his savvy. Champ has lost a step and it's okay. It happens to everyone. At this point, he could be a huge benefit roaming the backfield as a safety. I have actually felt this way for several years. No one usually throws to him. Historically they just pick on the other side of the field. Put him in the back, and the QB has to worry about where he is at constantly.

Leave a comment:

• Axemaster
    replied
    He's clearly too old and too slow to guard #1 WRs anymore. If I was Elway I'd suggest to Del Rio and Fox to move Champ to FS, so he can make plays on the ball, rather than the man. He should have no trouble guarding slot receivers and he tackles well.

Then I'd trade Rheem Moore with some draft picks and try to get a good CB1 to guard the WR1s. I'm not sure Porter will be able to guard WR1s, maybe include him in the Moore trade. At least thats what I would do if I was the Broncos' GM.
    He isn't big enough for the beating that a Safety takes, and has to dish out, and after Saturday, it's obvious he has lost a step!

It is baffling to me too, it had to be the cold because that secondary hadnt played that bad all year.

Leave a comment:

• baphamet
    replied
    we will take him if you guys don't want him

Leave a comment:

• theMileHighGuy
    replied
    Shame on Champ for not being as fast as one of the fastest WRs in the league. Look, nobody can cover Smith on a streak for 4+ seconds. It's simple physics. The Ravens' o-line was allowed to do whatever they wanted on Saturday and the pass rush couldn't get there. A scheme takes 11 guys getting the job done to work.

Champ is still head and shoulder the best CB on our roster, on just about every team's roster. Until we have someone in place that can make his move to safety more lucrative than destructive it's out of the question.

Leave a comment:

• orangebarrel
    replied
    Guys champ was playing press coverage on a #1 receiver. Which means we are relying on the pass rush to hurry the qb before Torrey Smith gets open. Meaning it is ridiculously hard for ANY cb to stick on any WR press coverage 20 yards plus down the field. Much less 50. Thats on the pass rush for allowing Flacco to step into an absolute bomb down the field, not champ bailey

Leave a comment:

• Houshmazode
    replied
    Champ does need to move to safety.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X