AFC Pretenders & Contenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFC Pretenders & Contenders

In the next four weeks we should have a clear picture on the Pretenders and Contenders!
    1. Indy - In my book they are Contenders. With wins over Seattle, San Fran, and Denver and last nights victory comeback over Houston very impressive.
    2. KC - 9-0 is impressive no matter who you have played. A victory over Denver will seal the deal and definitely put them in as a Contender.
    3. New England - there win over the Saints was good, a win over Denver and there in.
    4. Denver - they have KC twice and New England, a winning record 3-0 or 2-1 I would say they are a contender a losing record in these 3 games 1-2 or 0-3 they would be pretenders.
    5. Cincy - very impressive wins over New Engalnd and Green Bay, If they beat Baltimore they should seal up the division and a win against Indy would definitely place them in the Contender slot.
    6. The last spot could be a team like Baltimore last year getting healthy and hot at the right time:
    Miami, Baltimore, Cleveland, San Diego, Jets.

Why is this smack because everyone will have a different opinion, I have tried to say where each team sits currently without stating my opinion, but at the end of the day im a Bronco fan and I believe Denver is the best in the AFC West and in the AFC! We get to find out in in the next four weeks if me and my fellow Bronco faithful are right or all the KC and Patriot lovers are right!
    Last edited by 58Miller; 11-04-2013, 10:46 AM.
    sigpic

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
    In the next four weeks we should have a clear picture on the Pretenders and Contenders!
    1. Indy - In my book they are Contenders. With wins over Seattle, San Fran, and Denver and last nights victory comeback over Houston very impressive.
    2. KC - 9-0 is impressive no matter who you have played. A victory over Denver will seal the deal and definitely put them in as a Contender.
    3. New England - there win over the Saints was good, a win over Denver and there in.
    4. Denver - they have KC twice and New England, a winning record 3-0 or 2-1 I would say they are a contender a losing record in these 3 games 1-2 or 0-3 they would be pretenders.
    5. Cincy - very impressive wins over New Engalnd and Green Bay, If they beat Baltimore they should seal up the division and a win against Indy would defiantly place them in the Contender slot.
    6. The last spot could be a team like Baltimore last year getting healthy and hot at the right time:
    Miami, Baltimore, Cleveland, San Diego, Jets.

Why is this smack because everyone will have a different opinion, I have stated the facts but at the end of the day im a Bronco fan and I believe Denver is the best in the AFC West and in the AFC! We get to find out in in the next four weeks if me and my fellow Bronco faithful are right or all the KC and Patriot lovers are right!
    If that game ended differently last night I would have put Indy in as pretender. Luck looked just awful. They rallied and won so with their wins over good teams I have to agree.

I have watched two KC games and if it wasn't for their record I would be screaming pretender. The problem is that they are winning all their games and at what point does luck not become a factor? The last team two teamsI watched that I felt this way wabout was the giants in their first Super Bowl victory over NE, and Balt last year . They were bad team, then won it all.

NE is for real until they tell us otherwise.

The bengals are winning their division and have some good wins. As a contender I though I don't ow if they are there yet. Too much inconsistency week to week. The loss of Atkins could spell an early playoff loss.

Then there is the Broncos.....I firmly believe we need to beat teams like NE, stop the Chiefs unbeaten streak, Indy would have been nice, or we are a pretender with a good record. We have won a Lot of games over the last year, none of any real significance.

In the hunt:

San Diego - pretender.. Too inconsistent.
    Miami - see San Diego. A little more O and they will contend.
    Jets - win two in a row or they are nothing more than a .500 team
    Browns - steller D, again just need a little more offence and a real contender IMO.
    Balt - too many pieces lost. That team is in shambles.
    sigpic

Comment

Im thinking Baltimore to though I am not hoping for it.

Its down to 3 teams IMO (im not counting the Browns or Dolphins or Jets) the Chargers the Titans and the Ravens

Though lets say the fins Jets and the Browns have a shot this is what I predict is the final records

Browns: 6-10
      Dolphins: 7-9
      Chargers: 6-10 (This team could just as easily go 9-7 but its hard to really ever gauge whether they will show up or not in the 2nd half)
      Titans: 8-8 (The Arizona game seems like it will be a loss for them)
      Ravens: Ild love to see be 4-12 but part of me thinks they will actually be 8-8 I dont see them doing so well on the road down the stretch but they could win every home game from here on out.

Unless the Chargers completely play to their potential from here on out its probably going to be Titans Ravens, the TItans would likely have the best conference record going forward because they still have yet to play Jacksonville.

Though theJets could be 10-6 so this will all probably fall on them, they have Miami Cleveland and Oakland at home, and even if its difficult they could win in Miami and in Buffalo. That is if Geno doesnt continue to play inconsistently but in reality he will and probably lose in Miami and maybe Buffalo. So they will probably be 8-8 and the Titans will still own the tie breaker

Thus I believe the Titans will own the other wild card.
      Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 11-04-2013, 12:11 PM.
      2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

Comment

What a excellent thread. I;ll give my take.

Denver: Any Peyton Manning led team is a contender. Denver had a great regular season last year. Yes they haven't beaten a winning team yet, but aren't good teams supposed to dominate inferior teams? They are doing that so they are contenders unless they go 1-3 or 0-4 in the next four games. Which I doubt.

KC: There have been many games played this year that they would have lost last year. Good teams find a way to win when one aspect of their team has an off day. Their defense is good and yes they gave a lot of yards to the Bills but even with the 6th ranked rushing offense struggled to score in the red zone. If KC loses both games to Denver in convincing fashion then I'd say pretender.

SD: Pretender. You can't take a team that's "Jekyll & Hyde" against average opponents. Losing in convincing fashion against OAK how can you take them seriously?

MIA- Until they are able to protect their QB they are a pretender.The Saints made their RT look like a turnstile. They ran the ball against Cincy Thursday Night but I doubt they get the win running the ball if Geno Atkins isn't out.

NY JETS- Hard to gauge but I lean more towards contender. They look like the worst team in the league against Cincy but having quality wins against the Saints, NE and a Falcons team that still had their weapons is impressive. Their defense is legit.

Indy- I will say contender at this point with their will to win against good teams previously but my confidence is getting shaky with no Wayne and poor pass defensive play. It showed last night how much Luck needs him. Your not going to win games against top level teams rallying from three possessions down in the second half. Having a QB playing his second game roasting their secondary exposes some weakness. Sure they can make statue QBs look pedestrian with their pass rush but a scrambler that can buy time has shown how bad the Colts secondary truly is.

NE- They are winning even though many of their wins have been ugly. As long as you have Brady you have a legit chance. Only the most staunch Brady hater will label the team a pretender. The way to beat NE is to pound the ball which unfortunately Pittsburgh is horrible at and it showed big time.

TEN- Pretender. They went 0-3 against three of the better teams in the league with a crushing loss at home against SF with their starting QB Locker under center and that was with Kaepernick only completing 13 passes the entire game. Titans got physically dominated in every phase of the game.

BAL- Pretender. They needed that game against the Browns and even though the Browns aren't a bad team, they aren't world beaters either. They lost too many players that held that team together. Fluko is showing what a elite QB is having a bad season. Elite QBs will make average receivers produce. He has yet to show that. He got his money and won a championship and will ride off in the sunset into mediocrity as the likes of Jim McMann and Mark Rypien.

NFC coming soon

Comment

Is this in general or SB contender?

There's 3-4 in each conference that are SB contenders to me.

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
            If that game ended differently last night I would have put Indy in as pretender.

San Diego - pretender.. Too inconsistent.
            hypothetical: had SD punched in from 1 yard out in three tries at the end of their game. would they still be pretenders?

this thread is a little confusing, are we talking pretenders in terms of making the playoffs or SB contenders and pretenders?

because if we are talking actual SB contenders?

then i would have to say
            AFC
            Denver
            KC
            maybe NE

everyone else pretenders.

NFC
            NO
            SF
            Seattle
            maybe GB

everyone else pretenders
            Last edited by baphamet; 11-04-2013, 03:20 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post

heh u beat me to it, seems we kind of agree.
              sigpic

Comment

If we're going SB, then.....

In no order, each conference.

AFC:

Den
                NE
                Indy
                Maybe Cincy

NFC:

GB
                NO
                Sea
                SF

Comment

Well it would show me something else about the team. They might be the hardest one to put the tag on so that looks like to me they are pretending. We are getting into the meat of it next week and that answer will be reasily available.

Hey, I called us on the fence too....trying to be fair
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post

Contender for SB and including NFC teams is cool. I think Carolina is being overlooked.
                    Last edited by 58Miller; 11-04-2013, 04:18 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Colts definitely changed my mind 38-8 at home? These guys have beat
                      Denver -8-1
                      Seattle - 8-1
                      San Francisco - 6-3
                      And loss to
                      Miami -4-5
                      St Louis - 4-6
                      San Diego - 4-5
                      They should try to get the sixth seed so they only have to play the top teams.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                        Colts definitely changed my mind 38-8 at home? These guys have beat
                        Denver -8-1
                        Seattle - 8-1
                        San Francisco - 6-3
                        And loss to
                        Miami -4-5
                        St Louis - 4-6
                        San Diego - 4-5
                        They should try to get the sixth seed so they only have to play the top teams.
                        People should be careful to not overreact to a big loss anymore than they overreact to a big win. If I manipulate only 5 or 6 plays, the Colts win that game 28-21. It was a terrible effort, mistake ridden affair that can only be described as embarrassing.

If you look back at almost every SB champ in the last 7 years, they got blown out, undressed in embarrassing fashion in the regular season at least once.

Baltimore in week 7, 2012.

NYG week 1, 2011

NYG week 17, 2011

Pitt week 16, 2008

NYG week 2, 2007

IND week 14, 2006
                        sigpic
                        Rogue Colts Fan

Comment

Cincinnati is a pretender, Andy Dalton will never lead this talented team anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by ruksak View Post
                            People should be careful to not overreact to a big loss anymore than they overreact to a big win. If I manipulate only 5 or 6 plays, the Colts win that game 28-21. It was a terrible effort, mistake ridden affair that can only be described as embarrassing.

If you look back at almost every SB champ in the last 7 years, they got blown out, undressed in embarrassing fashion in the regular season at least once.

NYG week 1, 2011

NYG week 17, 2011

Pitt week 16, 2008

NYG week 2, 2007

IND week 14, 2006
                            Ok and the same can be said in the indy win over Denver. If Denver Ronnie Hillman doesn't fumble at the goal line Denver wins by 1
                            The Seattle game indy doesn't get the blocked kick Seattle wins.

The Oakland game Terrel Pryor doesn't force a throw in the Redzone Raiders win

That would put Indy at 3-6.

And you know they should have lost to Houston as well! They could be 2-7.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ruksak View Post

NYG week 1, 2011

NYG week 17, 2011

Pitt week 16, 2008

NYG week 2, 2007

IND week 14, 2006
                              Face it you haven't a viable replacement for Reggie Wayne & Trent Richardson isn't what you hoped. Your team is in trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X