Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Interesting Debate With Historical Implications...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Interesting Debate With Historical Implications...

I am embroiled in a debate on another site about which was the more impressive defensive performance between the 85 Bears that beat the Patriots 46-10 or last Sunday's 43-8 win by the Seahawks over the Broncos.

The Patriots got into the 86 Superbowl via a wild card and managed to make it into the Big Show having been a just above average offense in the regular season posting a 11-5 record.

The Bears also at 11-5 had shut out their two preceeding playoff games entering into the SB.

Many folks still believe the Bears performance was the best ever by a defense in a Superbowl.

I think there is ample room for debate mainly because the Broncos offense was clearly the best ever in the history of the NFL.

I ask the question here because it also begs the question and attempts to equate the 2013 Broncos offense to that of the pedestrian 85 Patriots.

Interesting how now Seahawks fans want to credit the Broncos offense as the best ever when if you had asked one before the Super Bowl they were clearly overrated.

Comment

Yes, this reeks of weakly disguised smack.....thread moved.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Corey View Post
        I am embroiled in a debate on another site about which was the more impressive defensive performance between the 85 Bears that beat the Patriots 46-10 or last Sunday's 43-8 win by the Seahawks over the Broncos.

The Patriots got into the 86 Superbowl via a wild card and managed to make it into the Big Show having been a just above average offense in the regular season posting a 11-5 record.

The Bears also at 11-5 had shut out their two preceeding playoff games entering into the SB.

Many folks still believe the Bears performance was the best ever by a defense in a Superbowl.

I think there is ample room for debate mainly because the Broncos offense was clearly the best ever in the history of the NFL.

I ask the question here because it also begs the question and attempts to equate the 2013 Broncos offense to that of the pedestrian 85 Patriots.
        The bigger question you should be asking yourself is how on Gods Green Earth did the #1 offense and team that was favored to win choke so badly?
        The 11-5 Patriots we're supposed to choke in 86.
        The 13-3 Donkos were not supposed to choke, not even close. That thought wasn't in anyone's mind.

Maybe the 13-3 donkos were just an abberration? A smoke screen? What a complete failure.
        Sorry Denver Haters...I've been on an extended business trip....:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by // / yardo View Post
          Interesting how now Seahawks fans want to credit the Broncos offense as the best ever when if you had asked one before the Super Bowl they were clearly overrated.
          I have certainly not engaged in any such stupidity. The Broncos historical stats speak for themselves. It really doesn't matter what some individual says or does not say. Denver posted the highest points and yards in history. I don't see how that can be a point of contention.

Comment

I have certainly not engaged in any such stupidity. The Broncos historical stats speak for themselves. It really doesn't matter what some individual says or does not say. Denver posted the highest points and yards in history. I don't see how that can be a point of contention.
            The point of contention - by Seattle fans - was not about scoring stats, but that the Broncos reached their "fluke" status by playing a weak schedule and being a product of the weaker AFC.

It's only self serving that now that there's a historic implication to qualify the Seattle defense that the Bronco offensive production is "the best ever in the history of the NFL." So which one is it? Because before we even played the game the Broncos were just simply overrated.

Comment

I knew it was only a matter of time before Seahawks fans started comparing themselves to the 85 Bears...

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
                I knew it was only a matter of time before Seahawks fans started comparing themselves to the 85 Bears...
                What is so sacred about the 85 Bears? The 11-5 85 Bears? OK they posted two shut outs in the playoffs. Big Whoop ! The 46-10 blowout of the Pats was totally expected. The 43-8 blowout last weekend was not.

I'm more interested that as the conversation evolves that the 85 Patriots are being compared favorably with the 2013 Broncos. That is nonsense.

So in any rational dialogue comparing the two games anyone with half a brain has to aknowledge that the 43-8 defensive performance was at least eqaul to or better than the 46-10 performance.

Comment

Here, let me end the conversation...the 2000 Ravens won the SB 31-7, the 7 was from a kickoff return. So the Ravens D essentially pitched a shutout. End of discussion

Comment

What is so sacred about the 85 Bears? The 11-5 85 Bears? OK they posted two shut outs in the playoffs. Big Whoop ! The 46-10 blowout of the Pats was totally expected. The 43-8 blowout last weekend was not.

I'm more interested that as the conversation evolves that the 85 Patriots are being compared favorably with the 2013 Broncos. That is nonsense.

So in any rational dialogue comparing the two games anyone with half a brain has to aknowledge that the 43-8 defensive performance was at least eqaul to or better than the 46-10 performance.
                    The 85 Bears were 15-1 when the League was much tougher...

To me, your Seahawks are basically in the same class as the 2002 Bucs.

Your defense was absolutely NOT in the same class as the 2000 Ravens, period.

Comment

IDK. Which of them used the most steroids?
                      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by // / yardo View Post
                        The point of contention - by Seattle fans - was not about scoring stats, but that the Broncos reached their "fluke" status by playing a weak schedule and being a product of the weaker AFC.

It's only self serving that now that there's a historic implication to qualify the Seattle defense that the Bronco offensive production is "the best ever in the history of the NFL." So which one is it? Because before we even played the game the Broncos were just simply overrated.
                        Simple explanation...

The "best ever in NFL history" is back by stats... in essence, facts. There's no disputing the # of points and the yardage.

The "over-rated" comments are opinions... no stats... no facts... just opinions.

Fwiw, similar "over-rated" comments were made of Seattle's defense by Bronco fans here.

Search a few pre-game threads and you'll find a LOT of them.
                        "Mike Harden, meet Steve Largent." KA-BOOM!!

Comment

Largest point differential in NFL history. Not just regular season, but playoffs. And when it comes to playoffs, it's not even close.

No team that lost 3 games in the regular season, was pushed to the brink in the NFC Championship, and got a close victory in the divisional round should ever be compared to the most dominant team in NFL history though.

If the Seahawks beat the Broncos by 35 or even 25 next season, I'll concede some of your argument.

Comment

Originally posted by onanygivensunda View Post
                            Simple explanation...

The "best ever in NFL history" is back by stats... in essence, facts. There's no disputing the # of points and the yardage.

The "over-rated" comments are opinions... no stats... no facts... just opinions.

Fwiw, similar "over-rated" comments were made of Seattle's defense by Bronco fans here.

Search a few pre-game threads and you'll find a LOT of them.
                            Regardless, are you sure that two Sundays ago was all Seahawks, and not at least a little bit of the Broncos having a bad game? I mean, are you positive about the Saints and 49ers being that much better than the Broncos?

Comment

Originally posted by Idiot_Kicker View Post
                              The 85 Bears were 15-1 when the League was much tougher...

To me, your Seahawks are basically in the same class as the 2002 Bucs.

Your defense was absolutely NOT in the same class as the 2000 Ravens, period.
                              The 85 Bears were 11-5.

Comment

Working...
                              X