I just have to LOL at Sherman's Contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just have to LOL at Sherman's Contract

I am sure many have seen this but...here is the numbers on the contract: 4 years for a total of $57.4 million with $40 million guaranteed.

I don't think Sherman is a bad player by any stretch of the imagination, however if I was Earl Thomas I would be asking why Sherman is now making more money than me. Sherman is the most vocal player on the Seattle team, but certainly not the best player on their defense. (Thomas is easily the best player on the Seattle Defense)

The fact that he is now the highest paid corner in the league also amuses me, as he is never asked to strictly shut down the number 1 on the other team due to the system the Seahawks run.If I am paying a guy the kind of money Sherman just got he better shut down the number 1 receiver on every team we face every week and Sherman has yet to be asked to do that.

So what say you Seachicken fans? Should Sherman be your highest paid player? Are you all giddy in your seats yet?
    sigpic

If Sherman gets 14, I can't wait to see JJ Watt's next contract. Watt IMO is probably the biggest difference maker in the league; stuffs the run, rushes the passer, bats down balls at the line.

Comment

"4 years for a total of $57.4 million with $40 million guaranteed."

Well, his contract has to fit the size of his mouth, you know?

It'll be interesting to see if he earns his pay.
      Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

First off, it's an extension. Including this year, he's now locked up for 5 years at $58.8M, which averages out to be $11.75M/year. We'll have to wait and see what portion of the $40M guaranteed is truly guaranteed. Even if all of it is, that's likely the equivalent of his signing bonus and the next 2.5 years... just a guess on that... but not too far off.

With the cap's projected increases in the next couple of years, I'd say it's a fair deal. Carroll and Schneider would not have done the deal if they did not feel they could afford it without crippling the team...but they need to keep hitting on the draft to sustain in the long term (beyond 2014).

I'm happy for Sherm and giddy (your word) to see that 3/4 of the LOB is locked up for the next four years and Sherm and Earl for another year beyond that.

And your point about Earl not being the top-paid on Seattle's D... it's just about the value of the position... corners are worth more than safeties... nothing more, nothing less.

And yes, Sherm should be the highest paid player on the D.

A year from now, Wilson will be on the O.
        "Mike Harden, meet Steve Largent." KA-BOOM!!

Comment

he's a punk but he has 20 int's since getting to the league in 2011, 5 more than anyone else in that same time frame.

just sayin...

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
            "4 years for a total of $57.4 million with $40 million guaranteed."

Well, his contract has to fit the size of his mouth, you know?

It'll be interesting to see if he earns his pay.
            Good one Peanut!
            Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

I'm not a big fan of big contracts like that, with that much guaranteed money. You never know how a player is going to play in the future, and many stop working hard once they get paid like that. It's just not a good idea, but that's a whole other discussion.

With Sherman specifically though, I would say if anyone deserves a big contract he does. He definitely plays great on the field, and is a big part of their defense. That, and I don't think he's the type to stop working hard, he seems to take a lot of pride in his own play which is makes me somewhat of a fan of his.

At the very least, it was smart of the Seahawks to tie up the money in a key defensive player instead of their QB like most teams do. If they had tried to pay Wilson like Flacco, and ended up cutting key defensive players because of it they'd have been screwed, as their team is mostly built around defense.

Comment

Originally posted by fallforward3y+ View Post
                I'm not a big fan of big contracts like that, with that much guaranteed money. You never know how a player is going to play in the future, and many stop working hard once they get paid like that. It's just not a good idea, but that's a whole other discussion.

With Sherman specifically though, I would say if anyone deserves a big contract he does. He definitely plays great on the field, and is a big part of their defense. That, and I don't think he's the type to stop working hard, he seems to take a lot of pride in his own play which is makes me somewhat of a fan of his.

At the very least, it was smart of the Seahawks to tie up the money in a key defensive player instead of their QB like most teams do. If they had tried to pay Wilson like Flacco, and ended up cutting key defensive players because of it they'd have been screwed, as their team is mostly built around defense.
                If they were smart, when Wilson is up for his big money, they would find a way to get out from under him gracefully and move on. Let someone else overpay.
                sigpic

Comment

I think this was bad deal for Seahawks they overpaid somewhat.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chillez View Post
                    I think this was bad deal for Seahawks they overpaid somewhat.
                    I agree with you entirely. The funny portion of the contract to me is the amount of guaranteed money they gave him. Over 60% of his contract is guaranteed that is insane. At the end of the day they are paying him as the best corner in the NFL I just don't see it. To be honest with all of the different schemes run in the NFL anymore a cornerback to look all worldly in one scheme and just another bum in another. Case and point Revis is a great man corner but does not fair nearly as well in a zone like he was playing in Tampa.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 86Elwayfan View Post
                      I agree with you entirely. The funny portion of the contract to me is the amount of guaranteed money they gave him. Over 60% of his contract is guaranteed that is insane. At the end of the day they are paying him as the best corner in the NFL I just don't see it. To be honest with all of the different schemes run in the NFL anymore a cornerback to look all worldly in one scheme and just another bum in another. Case and point Revis is a great man corner but does not fair nearly as well in a zone like he was playing in Tampa.
                      That blunder was on Schiano and GM Dominik.

It's stupid to think that an All-Pro in one scheme will play like an All-Pro in another.

Remember Nnamdi Asomugha? Same situation as Revis.

Nnamdi was All-World in Oakland and he sucked in zone at Philly.

Sherman is an All-Pro in Carroll's scheme. He excels at what he does.

He's worth $11.8M/year.

Comment

Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
                        If they were smart, when Wilson is up for his big money, they would find a way to get out from under him gracefully and move on. Let someone else overpay.
                        Not going to happen.

Wilson will stay a Seahawk as long as John Schneider and Pete Carroll are running the show.

What happens thereafter is anybody's guess... but it wouldn't surprise me that he plays his whole career in Seattle.

Comment

The reality will kick in that Seattle will have to pay their stars, which is what happened to Sherman, and what Wilson will expect. They will have to manage those salaries, given these guys were relatively cheap when they played the SB.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                            The reality will kick in that Seattle will have to pay their stars, which is what happened to Sherman, and what Wilson will expect. They will have to manage those salaries, given these guys were relatively cheap when they played the SB.
                            Agreed.

Just thankful that their stars were all drafted under the new CBA... that, and the fact that the salary cap is projected to go up almost exponentially the next couple of years due to the new TV contracts.

Had Seattle drafted Chancellor, Thomas, Sherman and Wilson a year or two earlier, they definitely would have been struggling to keep their core talent.

According to Clayton's recent tweet, Seattle still have $10.5 million of cap room for this year and $30.7 million next year if cap is $140M.

They're in a great position... given that Michael Bennett is also wrapped up for next year... and Wagner, KJ Wright, Byron Maxwell and Malcolm Smith are still on their rookie contracts.
                            Last edited by onanygivensunda; 05-08-2014, 12:11 PM.

Comment

And Seattle's "must keep" 2015 FAs list is pretty short...

Cliff Avril is a likely must keep at ~$10M/yr.
                              Doug Baldwin is a for sure (look to see him locked up before TC)
                              Jermaine Kearse... tough to say right now... maybe
                              Sidney Rice... depends if he comes back 100% and produces again

That's about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X