Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 10 QBs in the NFL

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Top 10 QBs in the NFL

    Hey Denver fans.

    I just wanted to get your opinion in this article, Top 10 in 2014: The best quarterbacks in the NFL today.

    http://cover32.com/2014/05/19/top-10...the-nfl-today/

    Of course, we all know who #1 is.

    I mostly agree with the article, but I'd swap Rothlisberger for Matt Ryan, and I don't think Kaepernick and Newton are Top-10 QBs.

    I also thought you guys would be interested in this article, which ranks QBs by Relative Any/A, and Manning takes the #1 All Time spot.

    http://www.footballperspective.com/c...top-5-seasons/

  • #2
    The second article is more interesting by virtue of its attempt to produce a measurement to transcend almost a hundred years of football history. It was a good effort, but still skewed in favor of players of the past few decades.

    IMO, one measurement that transcends time is yards per pass attempt. Otto Graham tops that list at 9.0 Y/A followed by Sid Luckman at 8.4 Y/A. Aaron Rodgers and Norm Van Brocklin are at 8.2, Steve Young is at 8.0, Kurt Warner and Philip Rivers are at 7.9, and Bart Starr, Ben Roethlisberger, Tony Romo and Johnny Unitas are at 7.8 Y/A.

    IMO stats must be put into context with performance in competition. That's where championships come into play. Otto Graham played for ten years and had his team in the championship game each year and won seven. Bart Starr was 90% in the playoffs and won five championships.

    Terry Bradshaw doesn't appear on these lists in spite of having four Super Bowl championships as does Joe Montana. Montana played in a tightly controlled offense where the plays were called from the sideline while Bradshaw called his own.

    There are important things to be taken into consideration, when discussing greatest of all time, which can't easily be quantified. :2cents:
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

    Comment


    • #3
      The only problem I have with the list is there's no way Rivers should be behind Newton or K Nick.... who are both VERY questionable top 10's

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Joshecalpoly
        If it were solely based on each players last 4 years of play in both regular season and playoffs (Manning would count 2010 and 2009) I would rank it as

        Peyton Manning
        Tom Brady
        Aaron Rodgers
        Drew Brees
        Alex Smith
        Matt Ryan
        Joe Flacco
        Philip Rivers
        Russell Wilson
        Colin Kaepernick

        Alex Smith may be a game manager but over the last few years hes impressed me. He really does get the best out of his team and has been a consistent winner albeit against lower ranked teams but he deserves quite a bit of recognition for what hes done. Though his consistency in game play alone over the last 4 seasons has been above many players. Big Ben would fall to 11th IMO. When the cowboys become relevant again then I will count Romo in my list somewhere but till then hes an underachiever.
        Sorry, but there is NO WAY you are ever going to convince me Alex freakin' Smith, Russell Wilson and Kap are better than Jay Cutler or Matthew Stafford, sorry. Those two are so much more centralized in their teams success, and have to be the man for the Bears or Lions to win. The others play much more conservatively and either make plays with their feet, or rely on other areas of their team. Cutler and Stafford play and command offenses on another level than Smith, Wilson or Kap. They are asked to do much more within their offenses. It's really calculus vs college algebra

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Idiot_Kicker View Post
          Sorry, but there is NO WAY you are ever going to convince me Alex freakin' Smith, Russell Wilson and Kap are better than Jay Cutler or Matthew Stafford, sorry. Those two are so much more centralized in their teams success, and have to be the man for the Bears or Lions to win. The others play much more conservatively and either make plays with their feet, or rely on other areas of their team. Cutler and Stafford play and command offenses on another level than Smith, Wilson or Kap.
          Yeah I was thinking twice about that after I posted it, though thats just based on the last few years. Alex Smith has actually had some good years for the last few years. He doesnt win games but he doesnt lose them and actually does well because of that

          I lowered stafford because if you look at the last 2 years hes been having major issues especially with durability and its effected his ability to make plays. In all honesty you look at Wilsons numbers and yes most of his success comes off the run and the D play but hes had some good games and if you look at games where the team around him has failed hes stepped up more so then Cutler. Even if Kap and Wilsons teams are not QB centered they have not hampered there teams success as some QB's have. Plus you really have to factor in the playoffs where Wilson has actually passed a lot better and a lot more
          Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 05-27-2014, 07:24 PM.
          2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TeamCowboys View Post
            Hey Denver fans.

            I just wanted to get your opinion in this article, Top 10 in 2014: The best quarterbacks in the NFL today.

            http://cover32.com/2014/05/19/top-10...the-nfl-today/

            Of course, we all know who #1 is.

            I mostly agree with the article, but I'd swap Rothlisberger for Matt Ryan, and I don't think Kaepernick and Newton are Top-10 QBs.

            I also thought you guys would be interested in this article, which ranks QBs by Relative Any/A, and Manning takes the #1 All Time spot.

            http://www.footballperspective.com/c...top-5-seasons/
            i agree with the top 5 but the bottom 5 is all sorts of retarded.

            Comment


            • #7
              Aaron Rodgers
              Peyton Manning
              Drew Brees
              Tom Brady
              Philip Rivers
              Ben Roethlisberger
              Alex Smith
              Matt Ryan
              Matthew Stafford
              Jay Cutler

              Would be the rank if I factored out playoff performance, but kept in regression. Stafford and Ryan would be in my top 10 but they havent really proved themselves that much in the playoffs in the last few years. I still think Alex Smith. Cutler has had just as many 200+ yard passing games as Alex over the last 2 years but has had more games where he was in the negative in TD-INT differential. In a lot of those games he still managed to win because his team carried him just as Alex Smiths does when he has a bad game. Smith had at least 1 more above average game then Cutler in terms of QBR and Passer Rating. Alex Smith maybe a system based game manager but he actually does a good job his record over the last few years has spoken for itself, yes he has a good team but many players have been on better teams but put up far worse numbers and few have had the win loss record hes had over his last 4 years. You cant deny that lately hes shown the ability to actually lead a team well enough to be successful in the regular season. Yes hes bound to fall bur right now Alex Smith gives a team like the Chiefs especially a chance to win games.

              Aaron Rodgers
              Peyton Manning
              Tom Brady
              Drew Brees
              Philip Rivers
              Ben Roethlisberger
              Matt Ryan
              Alex Smith
              Matthew Stafford
              Matt Schaub

              Now if I factored out regression. Because Matt Schaub has actually been a fairly good QB mainly thanks to a very good receiver and a good O-line till this year. Many of these top QB's have dominant O-lines or have a team built around them. Give an average QB a good team and they will do well, give any QB in the NFL enough time to throw and they will generally compete a pass. What makes a good QB is someone who can pull his team out near the end and not force the team to be behind by consistently stupid play

              Over his career Alex Smith is by no means a tier 1 QB, he is tier 2 but over the last 4 years he has played extremely well so "right now" yes he is a top QB in the league. Though over his career Eli Manning could be considered a tier 1 QB but hes been horrible over the last 4 years (and that includes a SB)
              Last edited by Joshecalpoly; 05-28-2014, 02:42 AM.
              2016 Draft: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...aft-Watch-list

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Idiot_Kicker View Post
                Sorry, but there is NO WAY you are ever going to convince me Alex freakin' Smith, Russell Wilson and Kap are better than Jay Cutler or Matthew Stafford, sorry. Those two are so much more centralized in their teams success, and have to be the man for the Bears or Lions to win. The others play much more conservatively and either make plays with their feet, or rely on other areas of their team. Cutler and Stafford play and command offenses on another level than Smith, Wilson or Kap. They are asked to do much more within their offenses. It's really calculus vs college algebra
                I don't know that I've ever seen the words "Lions" and "success" used in the same sentence before. And how much success have the Bears had with Cutler at QB? They've made the playoffs once in his five seasons there and not since 2010.

                Here's some simple math for you: throwing the ball 35-40 times a game does not necessarily make you a good quarterback or a successful one. Russell Wilson has been a far more efficient quarterback and a much more successful one than either Cutler or Stafford. Both of them are useful in racking up fantasy points but are overrated as quarterbacks in the non-fantasy world of winning football games.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by rsrobinson View Post
                  I don't know that I've ever seen the words "Lions" and "success" used in the same sentence before. And how much success have the Bears had with Cutler at QB? They've made the playoffs once in his five seasons there and not since 2010.

                  Here's some simple math for you: throwing the ball 35-40 times a game does not necessarily make you a good quarterback or a successful one. Russell Wilson has been a far more efficient quarterback and a much more successful one than either Cutler or Stafford. Both of them are useful in racking up fantasy points but are overrated as quarterbacks in the non-fantasy world of winning football games.
                  Russel Wilson is the most over-rated QB in the NFL tight now. cutler and stafford may not be as successful but they are the centerpiece of their teams offense and Wilson definitely is not.

                  it's annoying how every single QB that wins a ring all of a sudden becomes an elite QB in the NFL over night regardless of his actual skill or production on the field.

                  when Wilson is forced to carry his team and they are still successful, i will then give him the credit he deserves as a top NFL QB. right now to me he is just a good young QB on a great team.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by baphamet View Post
                    Russel Wilson is the most over-rated QB in the NFL tight now. cutler and stafford may not be as successful but they are the centerpiece of their teams offense and Wilson definitely is not.

                    it's annoying how every single QB that wins a ring all of a sudden becomes an elite QB in the NFL over night regardless of his actual skill or production on the field.

                    when Wilson is forced to carry his team and they are still successful, i will then give him the credit he deserves as a top NFL QB. right now to me he is just a good young QB on a great team.
                    So to get your vote, a top-rated QB has to be the centerpiece of a team. That makes no sense.

                    Wilson tied Manning's rookie season TD record (26)... and with "pedestrian" receivers like Doug Baldwin, Golden Tate and Sidney Rice.

                    In his first two years, Wilson's QB rating is 100.0 or better. Only three players can say that... Manning, Rodgers and Wilson.

                    In the same first two years, Wilson ranked #4 both years in average yards/attempt. Only one QB was above him both years... Manning.

                    None of these accomplishments has anything to do with him being on a "great team"... as a matter of fact, just the opposite.

                    Wilson has had nowhere near the receiving corps that Rodgers and Manning have the past two years.

                    To say that he is only "good" is not giving him the credit that he has shown he deserves.
                    "Mike Harden, meet Steve Largent." KA-BOOM!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by onanygivensunda View Post
                      So to get your vote, a top-rated QB has to be the centerpiece of a team. That makes no sense.

                      Wilson tied Manning's rookie season TD record (26)... and with "pedestrian" receivers like Doug Baldwin, Golden Tate and Sidney Rice.

                      In his first two years, Wilson's QB rating is 100.0 or better. Only three players can say that... Manning, Rodgers and Wilson.

                      In the same first two years, Wilson ranked #4 both years in average yards/attempt. Only one QB was above him both years... Manning.

                      None of these accomplishments has anything to do with him being on a "great team"... as a matter of fact, just the opposite.

                      Wilson has had nowhere near the receiving corps that Rodgers and Manning have the past two years.

                      To say that he is only "good" is not giving him the credit that he has shown he deserves.
                      Lol at putting Wilson in the same breath as Rodgers and Manning.

                      That D and running game is what makes Seattle who they are not Wilson.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 58_VONDOOM_92 View Post
                        Lol at putting Wilson in the same breath as Rodgers and Manning.

                        That D and running game is what makes Seattle who they are not Wilson.
                        The stats that I quoted say Wilson is better than just "good".

                        When Wilson does the same for the next 4-5 years, then Wilson belongs "in the same breath".

                        What he lacks is longevity.
                        "Mike Harden, meet Steve Largent." KA-BOOM!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by onanygivensunda View Post
                          So to get your vote, a top-rated QB has to be the centerpiece of a team. That makes no sense.
                          of his offense, absolutely. look at every single other QB in the league that is considered elite. name one that isn't the centerpiece of their offense.....

                          sorry but being a QB on a team with a run first offense will never make you a top rated QB in my book. i'm sure that doesn't make sense to you considering you are an obvious seahag homer.

                          Wilson tied Manning's rookie season TD record (26)... and with "pedestrian" receivers like Doug Baldwin, Golden Tate and Sidney Rice.

                          In his first two years, Wilson's QB rating is 100.0 or better. Only three players can say that... Manning, Rodgers and Wilson.

                          In the same first two years, Wilson ranked #4 both years in average yards/attempt. Only one QB was above him both years... Manning.
                          he is a good young QB but he is the QB on a run first offense. you don't think that fact has anything to do with his efficiency? do you think that is the same thing as being a QB that has to actually carry the load?

                          the seahawks would be a great team with any other better than average QB in the league, wilson gets all this credit for winning and he should get some but because of that he gets vastly over-rated, i'm not saying its his fault either.

                          None of these accomplishments has anything to do with him being on a "great team"... as a matter of fact, just the opposite.
                          BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

                          the seahwaks run the ball more than they pass, it's a run first offense.......come back to reality, son.

                          Wilson has had nowhere near the receiving corps that Rodgers and Manning have the past two years.

                          To say that he is only "good" is not giving him the credit that he has shown he deserves.
                          only good? ROFL! you are a piece of work if you think wilson is great.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by onanygivensunda View Post
                            The stats that I quoted say Wilson is better than just "good".

                            When Wilson does the same for the next 4-5 years, then Wilson belongs "in the same breath".

                            What he lacks is longevity.
                            when he does the same for the next 4-5 years that's when i will say he is better than just a young good QB.

                            we will get to see how he does without a great running game to help him at some point, lets see how is stats are then.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Seattle's defense doesn't make Wilson an accurate passer who rarely makes mistakes and the best in the league at escaping pressure and making plays. He also played behind an injury ravaged OL last season that provided terrible pass protection and he still kept his cool and made plays game after game. And he did this playing in the league's toughest division while routinely facing top defenses.

                              Wilson's passing efficiency stats have been at elite levels for two full seasons now. Only fantasy football twits who base their opinion of QB play on volume rather than efficiency believe that throwing 35-40 times a game makes a QB better than one who throws 25 times a game.
                              Last edited by rsrobinson; 06-01-2014, 11:53 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X