Homer or Not!... You tell me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homer or Not!... You tell me!

Since my team was bullied and just flatout beat in the Superbowl, I have been repeatdly called an idiot homer for even thinking the Broncos had a chance to win.
    So I want to know what the opinion is about week 3. Am I an homer to think Denver can go into Seattle and pull out the upset?
    The Broncos have a much faster and talented defense and they have rebuilt there oline, I see Denver playing a grind out ball control game and winning by fg.
    sigpic

Denver is a top tier team, so any prediction about them beating any team last year and this year has validity. I personally don't think it will happen because of the home field.

Comment

I don't know if we will win in the amplified home field of Seattle...but I'm positive its not a repeat of the SB...we missed to many starters then and improved other position now
      sigpic
      when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
        Since my team was bullied and just flatout beat in the Superbowl, I have been repeatdly called an idiot homer for even thinking the Broncos had a chance to win.
        So I want to know what the opinion is about week 3. Am I an homer to think Denver can go into Seattle and pull out the upset?
        The Broncos have a much faster and talented defense and they have rebuilt there oline, I see Denver playing a grind out ball control game and winning by fg.
        I don't see it happening like that at all. It's not your team's character to grind. At least not that I know of. Are you guys going to turn 180?... I seriously doubt it.

Seattle is just a bad match-up for you guys. We're just too fast on defense... your short passing game that is so successful against other teams doesn't work against us... and I can't imagine what your offense can do that they didn't try in the SB except to be successful in the run game and not abandon it so quickly.

If you can run the ball against us, then it could happen.

And another thing, you must control the ball to stand a chance of winning. You give us 3 or 4 turnovers like in the SB, you'll never win.
        "Mike Harden, meet Steve Largent." KA-BOOM!!

Comment

Peyton manning is the king of the regular season so yes i see it but will be very tough
          sigpic

Comment

Do they have a chance to win in Seattle, sure. However, the odds don't favor it and it's definitely your homerism that thinks it's likely.

If you actually can play a clock control type of game you have a good shot, but I don't see that happening. Since about 08, teams with Peyton have a history of abandoning the run game. If you become a clock control type team, I'd be incredibly shocked. Line or not, I doubt you stick to that though.

As for your upgraded defense, well your defense actually played pretty well in the Super Bowl. I think Seattle will be able to manage the amount of points needed to beat you guys, especially on their home field. They will likely hold your offense down, I'd honestly be surprised if you reach 20.

Their defense just seems to match up with your offense well.

Comment

Originally posted by onanygivensunda View Post
              I don't see it happening like that at all. It's not your team's character to grind. At least not that I know of. Are you guys going to turn 180?... I seriously doubt it.

Seattle is just a bad match-up for you guys. We're just too fast on defense... your short passing game that is so successful against other teams doesn't work against us... and I can't imagine what your offense can do that they didn't try in the SB except to be successful in the run game and not abandon it so quickly.

If you can run the ball against us, then it could happen.

And another thing, you must control the ball to stand a chance of winning. You give us 3 or 4 turnovers like in the SB, you'll never win.
              I agree on the turnovers. Seattle feeds off turnovers. It doesn't only get there defense pumped there offense gets fired up and there fans somehow get even louder, turning that place into a house of horrors.
              If Denver is smart theyll bring in Virgil Green as a second TE and Latimer opposite DT and pound the football, even if they have to punt alot making Seattle respect there run game is the only way Denver will be able to have success on offense. Denvers defense has what it takes to keep them in the game, there offense just needs to play smart and take what they can get and protect thr football #1.
              Last edited by 58Miller; 06-26-2014, 07:32 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fallforward3y+ View Post
                Do they have a chance to win in Seattle, sure. However, the odds don't favor it and it's definitely your homerism that thinks it's likely.

If you actually can play a clock control type of game you have a good shot, but I don't see that happening. Since about 08, teams with Peyton have a history of abandoning the run game. If you become a clock control type team, I'd be incredibly shocked. Line or not, I doubt you stick to that though.

As for your upgraded defense, well your defense actually played pretty well in the Super Bowl. I think Seattle will be able to manage the amount of points needed to beat you guys, especially on their home field. They will likely hold your offense down, I'd honestly be surprised if you reach 20.

Their defense just seems to match up with your offense well.
                I dont think its likely will win. I do believe it will be a much closer game and I do believe Denver will have a game plan on offense we have never seen before. If it works or not will decide the game. On defense I think Wilson is going to have it a little harder trying to get outside the pocket with Von and Demarcus coming instead of Ayers and Phillips. Also Harvin will have Harris shadowing him not champ or tony carter.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                  I dont think its likely will win. I do believe it will be a much closer game and I do believe Denver will have a game plan on offense we have never seen before. If it works or not will decide the game. On defense I think Wilson is going to have it a little harder trying to get outside the pocket with Von and Demarcus coming instead of Ayers and Phillips. Also Harvin will have Harris shadowing him not champ or tony carter.
                  Here's the thing though, Wilson didn't exactly dice your defense up outside of the pocket in the Super Bowl. Harvin got his one big reverse run, but he wasn't exactly a dominant offensive factor, it was STs included that made him an impact player. With Harris, I still think he'll be able to get 1 big play in. What I'm getting at is, I don't think these new additions will fix problems in the SEA match up because the things your mentioning weren't problems.

To beat SEA I think you will have to MATCH their defense, beat them in a 13-10 type of game. I'm not sure you can do that. Your D could be good, but I don't know about THAT good. And of course, turnovers are obviously key. Turnovers like what you had in the SB can make that 10-10 tie turn into 20-10, 27-10, 30-10 and etc. and make an otherwise even game look lopsided on the scoreboard.

Part of preventing turnovers could be running it/clock control, SEA can feast on pass happy teams. The problem is, I just don't see DEN actually trying to do that. I could be wrong though, after all I didn't see GB actually doing it either but I guess I just don't see it with the history.

Comment

In the SB, Seattle rushed for 135 yards... even though you held Lynch to only 39 yards on 15 carries... great job on Lynch btw but a poor job containing Harvin, Wilson and Turbin.

I expect Seattle to spread the ball even more in 2014 than they did during the 2103 regular season. Look for them to run more option-type plays off fly sweep motion from Harvin.

On paper, Denver has improved on defense but Seattle has not been standing still on offense either.

I expect both teams to improve in 2014 even though their records might not show it.

Comment

Originally posted by fallforward3y+ View Post
                      Here's the thing though, Wilson didn't exactly dice your defense up outside of the pocket in the Super Bowl. Harvin got his one big reverse run, but he wasn't exactly a dominant offensive factor, it was STs included that made him an impact player. With Harris, I still think he'll be able to get 1 big play in. What I'm getting at is, I don't think these new additions will fix problems in the SEA match up because the things your mentioning weren't problems.

To beat SEA I think you will have to MATCH their defense, beat them in a 13-10 type of game. I'm not sure you can do that. Your D could be good, but I don't know about THAT good. And of course, turnovers are obviously key. Turnovers like what you had in the SB can make that 10-10 tie turn into 20-10, 27-10, 30-10 and etc. and make an otherwise even game look lopsided on the scoreboard.

Part of preventing turnovers could be running it/clock control, SEA can feast on pass happy teams. The problem is, I just don't see DEN actually trying to do that. I could be wrong though, after all I didn't see GB actually doing it either but I guess I just don't see it with the history.
                      Denver has a lot more speed on special teams with Lerentee McCrary, Lamin Barrow, Corey Nelson, & Quinton Carter. In the Superbowl everytime Denver got pressure on Wilson he was able to run or get outside the pocket, same with Harvins big run. There is a reason Elway didn't resign Phillips or Ayers.
                      I know Peyton would rather throw but if he wants to win he'll need to play it safe and hand the ball off 25 times in this game to win. Seattle played the Superbowl with mainly pass rushing lineman in the game and they took away denvers screen game, running the ball at this group and getting them tired in ghe first half will set up denvers passing game.
                      But like you said never seen Denver do it before, well except the 280 yds they had rushing vs the Patriots lasr year.
                      sigpic

Comment

My take on this is probably different then everybody else's. To win in Seattle, you are going to have to bring your defense. The Niners scored 23 points but keep in mind they 31 yards rushing from their backfield and only 147 yards passing (Total domination at the line of scrimmage). The only reason the Niners were able to stay in the ball game is because of Kaep's legs and to be honest, they were quite lucky in getting third and long penalties to aid drives. The reason why I talk about he Niners is that their oline is regarded around the league as either the best or close to it and yet they were obliterated. I am not going to hide the fact that at home, the Hawks D get a huge jump on the O which is a huge advantage and the old saying is whoever gets his hands on the other person first is going to win the battle.

When we lost to the Cardinals, we lost because their defense keyed in on Lynch the whole game. We had NOBODY to throw to that was healthy. They doubled Baldwin and brought their safeties into the box so the Hawks were looking at a 10 man front. Obviously very few teams if any, will have success against that onslaught. Problem now is Harvin is healthy and our receiving corps is not only healthy, but deep. This is the first year Russell Wilson is going to have some toys to play with.

I can't comment on your defense because the Truth is (have to be honest Hawk Fans) your defensive core was ravaged with injuries(not being sarcastic but I think it was a huge credit to your team in overcoming them and making it all the way to the Super Bowl). I am not sure how things will play out this year with our O vs your D here are some bullet points for both teams.
                        Hawks:
                        We are deeper at receivers
                        we don't have the oline issues
                        Wilson should be more savvy.

Broncos:

A healthy Miller
                        Added Ware
                        Added Ward
                        Added Talib
                        Harris should be healthy
                        Nice young core (Harris and Trevathan) that should get better on D.

Advantage Broncos heavily, but thinking back to the preseason game our O didn't march up and down the field on you guys. We got such a huge lead off the D and special teams. Our offense by itself only scored 10 points. The problem with your O vs our D is Manning (how many times can you say that?). Manning isn't mobile and that has been a recipe for disaster against the Hawks. Your receivers become pedestrian against us and can't hold onto the football. Will Sanders make a big difference? Can Manning consistently throw the ball deep with accuracy?? Earl Thomas doesn't think he can. If Manning can't get the ball down field he will be ineffective.

Finally special teams, your team has gotten destroyed by us to the point it has been embarrassing.

Recipe for a Denver win

Throw the ball deep to keep the safeties honest and Chancellor off your receivers.

Go two tight end sets and run the football and forget the no huddle. Hawks will find a way to sub players and your offense becomes finesse with a no huddle.

Better coverage on special teams (kickoffs, Punts etc).

Your D vs our O?? Not sure because Denver will have a lot of new moving pieces if it all works out and we shall have to see.

Here are some questions for you:

It seems we have a HUGE advantage on special teams, how are you going to stop Harvin?

Your offense has been a huge liability against us, Denver had 27 yards rushing in the super bowl, will Clady really make that big of a difference in the running game (no way the Broncos can win being one dimensional)?

How will you keep up with our all around team speed? Are you that much faster now?

Comment

Originally posted by seahawks12th View Post
                          My take on this is probably different then everybody else's. To win in Seattle, you are going to have to bring your defense. The Niners scored 23 points but keep in mind they 31 yards rushing from their backfield and only 147 yards passing (Total domination at the line of scrimmage). The only reason the Niners were able to stay in the ball game is because of Kaep's legs and to be honest, they were quite lucky in getting third and long penalties to aid drives. The reason why I talk about he Niners is that their oline is regarded around the league as either the best or close to it and yet they were obliterated. I am not going to hide the fact that at home, the Hawks D get a huge jump on the O which is a huge advantage and the old saying is whoever gets his hands on the other person first is going to win the battle.

When we lost to the Cardinals, we lost because their defense keyed in on Lynch the whole game. We had NOBODY to throw to that was healthy. They doubled Baldwin and brought their safeties into the box so the Hawks were looking at a 10 man front. Obviously very few teams if any, will have success against that onslaught. Problem now is Harvin is healthy and our receiving corps is not only healthy, but deep. This is the first year Russell Wilson is going to have some toys to play with.

I can't comment on your defense because the Truth is (have to be honest Hawk Fans) your defensive core was ravaged with injuries(not being sarcastic but I think it was a huge credit to your team in overcoming them and making it all the way to the Super Bowl). I am not sure how things will play out this year with our O vs your D here are some bullet points for both teams.
                          Hawks:
                          We are deeper at receivers
                          we don't have the oline issues
                          Wilson should be more savvy.

Broncos:

A healthy Miller
                          Added Ware
                          Added Ward
                          Added Talib
                          Harris should be healthy
                          Nice young core (Harris and Trevathan) that should get better on D.

Advantage Broncos heavily, but thinking back to the preseason game our O didn't march up and down the field on you guys. We got such a huge lead off the D and special teams. Our offense by itself only scored 10 points. The problem with your O vs our D is Manning (how many times can you say that?). Manning isn't mobile and that has been a recipe for disaster against the Hawks. Your receivers become pedestrian against us and can't hold onto the football. Will Sanders make a big difference? Can Manning consistently throw the ball deep with accuracy?? Earl Thomas doesn't think he can. If Manning can't get the ball down field he will be ineffective.

Finally special teams, your team has gotten destroyed by us to the point it has been embarrassing.

Recipe for a Denver win

Throw the ball deep to keep the safeties honest and Chancellor off your receivers.

Go two tight end sets and run the football and forget the no huddle. Hawks will find a way to sub players and your offense becomes finesse with a no huddle.

Better coverage on special teams (kickoffs, Punts etc).

Your D vs our O?? Not sure because Denver will have a lot of new moving pieces if it all works out and we shall have to see.

Here are some questions for you:

It seems we have a HUGE advantage on special teams, how are you going to stop Harvin?

Your offense has been a huge liability against us, Denver had 27 yards rushing in the super bowl, will Clady really make that big of a difference in the running game (no way the Broncos can win being one dimensional)?

How will you keep up with our all around team speed? Are you that much faster now?
                          Very good post Seahawks 12th. I'll try to answer your questions, but first on the special teams. Denver was burned by Harvin because he gambled on a short kick that bounced, the Broncos were over aggressive left there lanes trying to make a play and Harvin was able to break an 87 yd td. Other than that Golden tate had a 20 yd return, so I don't really see the big difference in ST's.
                          Clady is not an All Pro Left tackle by default, he doesn't get beat when pass blocking and he is a solid run blocker, next to him you have Franklin who struggled with speed at the tackle spot but at guard will be in a box where he can use his size to his advantage and he is a bull dozer when running the ball, Ramirez is good not great, Vasquez another All Pro at right guard and Chris Clark who will be much better at right tackle playing next to Vasquez and not having to face teams #1 pass rusher.
                          Is Denver that much faster you ask:
                          FS Mike Adams a 32 yr old safety replaced by Rahim Moore a faster and more physical player.
                          SS Duke Ihenacho replaced by TJ Ward a Pro Bowl safety who is very physical (just ask Gronk), and an upgrade in coverage and tackling.
                          CB Champ Bailey replaced by a younger, bigger, faster, and more physical Pro Bowl Corner Aqib Talib
                          CB DRC is a better corner than Bradley Roby but Roby is just as fast and much more physical player.
                          Slot CB Tony Carter replaced by the best slot corner in the league in Chris Harris.
                          MLB Paris Lenon a slow 35 yr old MIke replaced by Nate irving a mike with 4.6 speed and an upgrade in coverage.
                          SLB Nate Irving replaced by a guy named Von Miller 4.4 speed and the flat out best OLB in the Nfl, good in coverage, great vs the run, and elite rushing the passer.
                          RE Shaun Phillips replaced by the much faster Demarcus Ware who is not only a better pass rusher but a big upgrade vs the run.
                          LE Robert Ayer replaced by the bigger, stronger Derrick Wolfe.
                          On offense the additions of two receivers with 4.4 speed in Emmanuel Sanders and Cody Latimer gives Denver guys who can catch the short pass and take in deep especially with all the attention Demaryius Thomas, Julius Thomas, and Welker get.
                          Im not saying Denver is better than Seattle, or that they will beat the Hawks in Seattle, I am pointing out Denver is a different team, younger, faster, bigger, and deeper.
                          sigpic

Comment

Actually the Niners only scored 17 points, not 23. That's more points than they scored in their previous two visits to the CLink combined so I guess some credit is due there.

To answer the OPs original question, yes of course the Broncos can win in Seattle. It will be difficult but this is the NFL and a quality team like the Broncos with Peyton Manning have a shot each and every week no matter who they play. On the other hand, Seattle is 17-1 at home over the past two seasons for a reason so the Broncos will need to bring their AAA game this time.

Comment

You know what will be interesting?... the Vegas point spread this time around.

Seattle started as a -2 pt. favorite in the SB only to find that the unknowing public moved the line to Denver being a -2 pt. favorite.

At home, I expect Seattle will be a -7 or more point favorite close to game time to get the book even.

Comment

Working...
                              X