Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Peyton get criticized so often?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why does Peyton get criticized so often?

    I've been meaning to make this post for weeks about how Peyton get's unfairly criticized for certain things that other QB's who accomplished way less do not.

    Peyton Manning is without a doubt one of the greatest QB of all-time. He has almost all the records, MVP's, changed a franchise from a small football town to an empire, and is considered by many the best of his generation. To add to all of that he has a Superbowl ring and 3 Superbowl appearances. So why does this guy often get called a choker? a loser? overrated by people who criticize his every move?

    Seemingly most of Peyton's criticism from his detractors are from his performances in the playoffs. Mind you I am one of those guys that think that Superbowl rings should not be the end all be all when ranking an individual QB all-time. Other factors should go into that. Factors that focuses more of the QB as a player and not so much a thing that is a team effort.

    Manning turned the Indianapolis Colts into a major threat in the 2000's. You hear all the time how Manning always had a ton of talent around him, but honestly other than Harrison and Wayne who did he really have? Manning, like Brady, made others around him look better. People like to point out Dallas Clark, but believe me Dallas would not have had the career he had if it weren't for Manning. Those Colts teams were offensively talented, but lacked toughness, good coaching, and most importantly a defense. We've seen this with Tom Brady from 2006-on as well with having to carry his team to the playoffs and to eventually lose to a more complete team. A QB can not do it on his own. The one year the Colts did win the Superbowl it was because the defense and others around Manning stepped up and as a team they won the big game. Unfortunately for Manning, most of his career if he has a bad game no one else steps up and helps win the game.

    Another thing Manning haters like to put out there is his playoff record. Like I said in another thread, this is such a flawed statistic. Unless you win the Superbowl every year, you are going to get a playoff loss if you make it. Manning has made the playoffs so often during his career that eventually those losses are going to pile on if he doesn't win the big game every year. This is why Eli, Flacco, Big Ben have excellent playoff records. They don't make the playoffs all the time so it saves them and there record from a possible playoff loss.

    Never have I seen a QB take so much crap from only winning one Superbowl. Like one is not enough for Peyton, but it's ok if Favre, Brees, Rodgers, Warner all have one and get no grief. Only Manning has to win multiple or he's a choking loser. He is actually not as bad of a playoff QB that people make him out to be. He has a better QBR than Brady in the postseason and is 2-1 against him in the AFC title game. I'd say he's made some mistakes in the playoffs, but he also had his team the lead in five different occassions throughout his career with less than 2:00 left in the game and his defense blew it and lost it for him. If you're going to rank QB's solely on rings than you must have Bradshaw over Peyton, Brady, Brees, and Elway all-time. You must have Dilfer over Marino. It's crazy talk. Superbowls are a team win. It helps your ranking all-time, but it should not be the only factor.

    People also like to say he loses all of his biggest games. Does he? Take this year for example ... Everyone said The Chargers were the real deal this year. Peyton stomps them and you hear nothing.... Peyton beats The Colts ... Nothing. Beats the Niners .... Nothing. The Cardinals ... NOTHING. Then they lose to the Patriots everyone comes out and says "Manning choked." "He loses all of his biggest game." It's funny if Peyton beat Brady last week you'd hear "Well, the regular season don't matter." It's such hypocritical stuff.

    Overall, I rank Peyton #2 all-time. Brady #3. Be glad you got to see these two legends together in the same era because you will be upset when they're both gone and we will never see a rivalry like this again.

  • #2
    I haven't read your post yet but the simple answer is, the media blares all of his strengths and highlights through the biggest mega phone they can find, 24/7, while sweeping all of his short comings under the rug. He has a lot of friends on the networks and some of their Manning hype reaches the point of being delusional.

    You simply cannot call a guy "the GOAT" when he regularly plays horribly in any form of adversity, whether it be big game hype, wind, cold, elements, etc. More over, GOAT quarterbacks don't get eliminated over and over and over again in the first round of the play offs by underdog teams that he's expected to throttle.

    If you argue that Peyton "doesn't lose big games" you must of just started watching him after he came back from his neck surgery. Over and over and over again he has gone into the play offs as a heavy favorite, with the #1 seed, only to be sent home after his first game.

    That isn't GOAT status. Not even close.

    If you love him and he's your favorite, fine, but it isn't a necessity that people you like be "the greatest."

    Comment


    • #3
      The only GOAT I know is MONTANA and its really not even close. I don't think it ever will be. No disrespect to the rest of the greats.
      sigpic2020 HOFER!!!!
      Adopted Bronco: Justin Simmons 2017,2018 ,2019
      PATS FANS COME TO THIS BOARD BECAUSE THEY RESPECT AND APPRECIATE US

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by PManningTKO View Post
        I've been meaning to make this post for weeks about how Peyton get's unfairly criticized for certain things that other QB's who accomplished way less do not.

        Peyton Manning is without a doubt one of the greatest QB of all-time. He has almost all the records, MVP's, changed a franchise from a small football town to an empire, and is considered by many the best of his generation. To add to all of that he has a Superbowl ring and 3 Superbowl appearances. So why does this guy often get called a choker? a loser? overrated by people who criticize his every move?

        Seemingly most of Peyton's criticism from his detractors are from his performances in the playoffs. Mind you I am one of those guys that think that Superbowl rings should not be the end all be all when ranking an individual QB all-time. Other factors should go into that. Factors that focuses more of the QB as a player and not so much a thing that is a team effort.

        Manning turned the Indianapolis Colts into a major threat in the 2000's. You hear all the time how Manning always had a ton of talent around him, but honestly other than Harrison and Wayne who did he really have? Manning, like Brady, made others around him look better. People like to point out Dallas Clark, but believe me Dallas would not have had the career he had if it weren't for Manning. Those Colts teams were offensively talented, but lacked toughness, good coaching, and most importantly a defense. We've seen this with Tom Brady from 2006-on as well with having to carry his team to the playoffs and to eventually lose to a more complete team. A QB can not do it on his own. The one year the Colts did win the Superbowl it was because the defense and others around Manning stepped up and as a team they won the big game. Unfortunately for Manning, most of his career if he has a bad game no one else steps up and helps win the game.

        Another thing Manning haters like to put out there is his playoff record. Like I said in another thread, this is such a flawed statistic. Unless you win the Superbowl every year, you are going to get a playoff loss if you make it. Manning has made the playoffs so often during his career that eventually those losses are going to pile on if he doesn't win the big game every year. This is why Eli, Flacco, Big Ben have excellent playoff records. They don't make the playoffs all the time so it saves them and there record from a possible playoff loss.

        Never have I seen a QB take so much crap from only winning one Superbowl. Like one is not enough for Peyton, but it's ok if Favre, Brees, Rodgers, Warner all have one and get no grief. Only Manning has to win multiple or he's a choking loser. He is actually not as bad of a playoff QB that people make him out to be. He has a better QBR than Brady in the postseason and is 2-1 against him in the AFC title game. I'd say he's made some mistakes in the playoffs, but he also had his team the lead in five different occassions throughout his career with less than 2:00 left in the game and his defense blew it and lost it for him. If you're going to rank QB's solely on rings than you must have Bradshaw over Peyton, Brady, Brees, and Elway all-time. You must have Dilfer over Marino. It's crazy talk. Superbowls are a team win. It helps your ranking all-time, but it should not be the only factor.

        People also like to say he loses all of his biggest games. Does he? Take this year for example ... Everyone said The Chargers were the real deal this year. Peyton stomps them and you hear nothing.... Peyton beats The Colts ... Nothing. Beats the Niners .... Nothing. The Cardinals ... NOTHING. Then they lose to the Patriots everyone comes out and says "Manning choked." "He loses all of his biggest game." It's funny if Peyton beat Brady last week you'd hear "Well, the regular season don't matter." It's such hypocritical stuff.

        Overall, I rank Peyton #2 all-time. Brady #3. Be glad you got to see these two legends together in the same era because you will be upset when they're both gone and we will never see a rivalry like this again.
        You're making all the same mistakes Colt fans used to make. Many of them are now over it.

        1. You can't say "rings don't matter" because "it's a team sport" and then pretend that stats are completely on the individual. Peyton teams have always been offensively stacked. I would sure as hell hope he has good stats. However, he wasn't blocking for his passes, he wasn't catching them, and he wasn't getting YAC. A touchdown pass is as much a team effort as a Superbowl ring, if you want to play that game.

        But the only reason Peyton fanatics want to play that game is because Tom has hardware, so they want to find absurd ways to attack it. They want to see that the VERY REASON everyone plays football "doesn't matter."

        Are you playing for a Lombardi this year or are you playing for 5,000 passing yards? You tell me.

        2. Regular seasons are great, and there's nothing miserable about stomping out teams all season long. However, the play offs are where things get nasty, against nasty defenses, in straight up dog fights, that challenge every single iota of a human being in a brutal battle for the ring. If you routinely get exited out of the play offs in the first round, your slicing and dicing of weaker teams and incompetent defenses in September loses its appeal pretty fast.

        Ugh... I was going to keep going, but I'm reading your post further and you're just doing what Peyton people do, which is take everything that is IMPORTANT about American football and throwing it out the window with "it's not important."

        Yes, dude, beating the Steelers in an AFC Championship, or hoisting a Lombardi, is a helluva' lot more important than throwing 6 TD passes against the Jaguars in week #2. Sorry.

        You look at the QB's that everyone thinks are the real GOATs, the Montana's, the Brady's, the Elway's, and the higher the stakes, the tougher the game, and the brighter the lights, the BETTER THEY PLAY.

        Did you see the Manning face in the 1st quarter of the Patriot game this weekend? The moment I saw it, I knew Denver was finished.

        That's the difference, and that's why he gets so much crap amidst all his slavish media praise.
        Last edited by LikeABoss; 11-07-2014, 06:43 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          lol.

          "He has a better QBR in the play offs than Brady."

          Dude, what is a "QBR?" Can you touch it? Can you smell it? Can you see it? Or is it absolutely nothing but something ESPN says without even giving up their formula? STATS are WORTHLESS. They very often tell a false story.

          Peyton Manning set a completion record in the Superbowl against Seattle, did he not? Wow, what a great stat, he must of played so amazing. Let me go watch the game now to confirm.

          Fantasy football and REAL football aren't the same thing.

          Comment


          • #6
            So you are saying that Troy Aikman is just as good as Brady because both have 3 rings and Bradshaw is better then Brady because he has 4 rings? And Dilfer is just as good as Manning both have 1 and Big Ben is better then Manning because he has 2 rings? Just a ? And Eli is Better then Brady cause he beat him twice in the SB. Just a ?
            Last edited by Assassin27; 11-07-2014, 06:54 PM.
            sigpic2020 HOFER!!!!
            Adopted Bronco: Justin Simmons 2017,2018 ,2019
            PATS FANS COME TO THIS BOARD BECAUSE THEY RESPECT AND APPRECIATE US

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Assassin27 View Post
              So you are saying that Troy Aikman is just as good as Brady because both have 3 rings and Bradshaw is better then Brady because he has 4 rings? And Dilfer is just as good as Manning both have 1 and Big Ben is better then Manning because he has 2 rings? Just a ?
              And Marino? forget that guy totally..... he has no jewelry.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Forgot about him...SORRY!
                sigpic2020 HOFER!!!!
                Adopted Bronco: Justin Simmons 2017,2018 ,2019
                PATS FANS COME TO THIS BOARD BECAUSE THEY RESPECT AND APPRECIATE US

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Assassin27 View Post
                  So you are saying that Troy Aikman is just as good as Brady because both have 3 rings and Bradshaw is better then Brady because he has 4 rings? And Dilfer is just as good as Manning both have 1 and Big Ben is better then Manning because he has 2 rings? Just a ?
                  Let's not just pretend all Brady has here is 3 Superbowl rings. He has the only Superbowl dynasty in the salary cap era, 5 AFC Championships, and has appeared in the AFC Championship game a total of 8 times in 12 completed seasons. Yes, for the 12 finished seasons that Tom has been the QB for NE, you have watched him play in the final four a total of EIGHT times. He has a record 18 post season wins, and has lead the highest scoring franchise of the NFL for YEARS. He's a fiery leader that elevates his entire football team with his level of intensity and when the chips are down, no QB in the league is capable of `magic` like Tom Brady is, like his fire-breathing comeback against Denver last year, or near comeback against the Niners down 30-something to 3 in 2012.

                  If Tom is down 24 points, Chris Collinsworth and the entire nation know it's probably coming.

                  Put Peyton down 24 and most people will change the channel, regardless of what stat you might bring up, because they know it isn't happening.

                  Peyton is one hell of a quarterback. He makes pre-snap reads as good as anyone, and that throw he made this last weekend for that TD was as beautiful as they come.

                  But if "intangibles" was a stat in Madden 2014, Peyton's would be pretty low.

                  And his sulking and pouting on the sidelines with a defeated look on his face when things get tough does zilch to inspire his team back to victory.

                  He's the A-rod of the NFL.

                  You do know the most of Peyton's one&dones were losses to underdogs, right?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So Dilfer is better then Marino cause he has a ring and Marino don't...NOT!
                    sigpic2020 HOFER!!!!
                    Adopted Bronco: Justin Simmons 2017,2018 ,2019
                    PATS FANS COME TO THIS BOARD BECAUSE THEY RESPECT AND APPRECIATE US

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It does not matter what subject you want to put up it eventually becomes a vehicle to bash Manning. For all of you who want to point out what a loser Manning is ....what is your point. Do you want him gone? Would you like someone else as the Bronco quarterback or is your purpose just to tear him down. At what point do you just admit you hate the guy and be done with it. Would one of you bashers finally get the guts to admit this is about hatred....its not about football?
                      Il a été soit couché ou alors qu'il est étendu maintenant.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                        And Marino? forget that guy totally..... he has no jewelry.
                        Ok, great, you would rather draft a QB that puts up monster stats but wilts when it starts to matter.

                        A lot of people disagree.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You guys can get as mad about it as you want to, but you're emotionally invested. Future generations won't be and they aren't going to call a guy with a losing play off record, one ring, and a record number of first round exits the GOAT.

                          Just not going to happen.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            But Bradshaw never lost a SB and in a time where there was no rules like today making it easy for the offences
                            sigpic2020 HOFER!!!!
                            Adopted Bronco: Justin Simmons 2017,2018 ,2019
                            PATS FANS COME TO THIS BOARD BECAUSE THEY RESPECT AND APPRECIATE US

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Im not calling him the goat just making a point. I told you there is only one GOAT and his name is MONTANA and its not even close
                              sigpic2020 HOFER!!!!
                              Adopted Bronco: Justin Simmons 2017,2018 ,2019
                              PATS FANS COME TO THIS BOARD BECAUSE THEY RESPECT AND APPRECIATE US

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X