Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well its official, San Diego is now.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well its official, San Diego is now.....

San Diego is now the city with the longest major sports drought by seasons -- 109 since winning the 1963 AFL title per ESPN.

sigpic

Originally posted by Luckyshot View Post
    San Diego is now the city with the longest major sports drought by seasons -- 109 since winning the 1963 AFL title per ESPN.

Well, at least we have that beach thing going for us. It's something we can all get behind and support regardless if you like the sparklers or Padres.

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
      Well, at least we have that beach thing going for us. It's something we can all get behind and support regardless if you like the sparklers or Padres.
      Seems like that long ago since they had an NBA team. Wonder why they have never Pursued a new one?
      sigpicoh YEAH?

Comment

Originally posted by Axemaster View Post
        Seems like that long ago since they had an NBA team. Wonder why they have never Pursued a new one?
        They can have the Knicks.

Comment

Very true...I love me some Broncos but I would rather live in San Diego.

I used to live in Southern California (Irvine) but now live in Chicago and loving it!

Comment

I didn't know San Diego still had a team. I guess if we give it 8 months that will change.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
              I didn't know San Diego still had a team. I guess if we give it 8 months that will change.
              they will still have the pads
              sigpic

Comment

yeah and people wonder why the fanbase sucks there? it's because so many are either fans of other cities teams' (your typical front runners) or they are transplants. another reason why a stadium has no chance to be approved there with a 2/3 vote.

yep you got the beach and so many other things to do outside year around in SD, that also contributes to people not caring much about sports there, except when they are good of course!

i feel like if a fanbase needs their team to always be good in order to support them, they do not deserve that team anyways. i hate to say that because SD is where i grew up, but it's true.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
                  yeah and people wonder why the fanbase sucks there? it's because so many are either fans of other cities teams' (your typical front runners) or they are transplants. another reason why a stadium has no chance to be approved there with a 2/3 vote.

yep you got the beach and so many other things to do outside year around in SD, that also contributes to people not caring much about sports there, except when they are good of course!

i feel like if a fanbase needs their team to always be good in order to support them, they do not deserve that team anyways. i hate to say that because SD is where i grew up, but it's true.
                  Too true. I still remember back in '98 when the Padres went to the World Series. EVERYBODY was a fan. Go anywhere and you were bound to hear baseball talk. I even had the most unassuming college professors chatting with students.

After losing to the Yankees and then also losing key players at the end of and, unarguably great season, 1999 rolls around and they land 4th in the division, just edging out the Rockies as the sole owners of the basement.

1999 talk? Padres who?

It's no different with the Chargers. People were all teary-eyed on the news after the (supposed) last home game at the end of last season. The problem is there aren't enough teary-eyed people to make a difference or, if there are, they are teary-eyed until it might cost them something.

I'm glad the city isn't jumping all in and making the presence of the Chargers as much about the city wanting them. It really highlights the problem pro-teams have here with a large disconnect with fans. Why that exists is open to debate, but it does. If the city can't get a vote to pass to keep the Chargers then the people at large aren't that interested.

Comment

Too true. I still remember back in '98 when the Padres went to the World Series. EVERYBODY was a fan. Go anywhere and you were bound to hear baseball talk. I even had the most unassuming college professors chatting with students.

After losing to the Yankees and then also losing key players at the end of and, unarguably great season, 1999 rolls around and they land 4th in the division, just edging out the Rockies as the sole owners of the basement.

1999 talk? Padres who?

It's no different with the Chargers. People were all teary-eyed on the news after the (supposed) last home game at the end of last season. The problem is there aren't enough teary-eyed people to make a difference or, if there are, they are teary-eyed until it might cost them something.

I'm glad the city isn't jumping all in and making the presence of the Chargers as much about the city wanting them. It really highlights the problem pro-teams have here with a large disconnect with fans. Why that exists is open to debate, but it does. If the city can't get a vote to pass to keep the Chargers then the people at large aren't that interested.
                    it is the culture IMO

sports just isn't that big of a deal in socal like it is in a lot of other places. but when the teams are good they become the big show in town that everyone wants to be a part of, at least thats how it seems to me.

i moved to the complete opposite end of the spectrum where my town and state shut down when their college football team plays, even when they suck like last year.

football is a part of the culture here and even baseball too because of the college world series.

this crappy town in Nebraska i live in without any major sports teams of any kind is a better sports town than beautiful and much larger SD, how sad is that?
                    sigpic

Comment

it is the culture IMO

sports just isn't that big of a deal in socal like it is in a lot of other places. but when the teams are good they become the big show in town that everyone wants to be a part of, at least thats how it seems to me.

i moved to the complete opposite end of the spectrum where my town and state shut down when their college football team plays, even when they suck like last year.

football is a part of the culture here and even baseball too because of the college world series.

this crappy town in Nebraska i live in without any major sports teams of any kind is a better sports town than beautiful and much larger SD, how sad is that?
                      That's largely how I view it as well, Baph. With no intent to denigrate an entire geographic region, as a longtime local, I personally view it as something of a culture of "eliteness." Like many locals around here are simply too cool to lose...so it becomes a "fandom of convenience" only when it benefits the local. Like the cool kids hanging around the nerd and getting dropped down a social peg.
                      To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Interesting take Baphs, when I went to games in 06,07 &08 there were a handful of bronco fans in 2013, & 2015 it was a broncos home game with 50 to 60% bronco fans. I guess everyone moved in 2010.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                          Interesting take Baphs, when I went to games in 06,07 &08 there were a handful of bronco fans in 2013, & 2015 it was a broncos home game with 50 to 60% bronco fans. I guess everyone moved in 2010.
                          There seems to be a very strong fan base in San Diego but they are 85% Bronco fans...

Comment

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                            ive tried to explain this to you before when you tried to pretend it's just broncos fans traveling well

it's not just broncos fans, there are lots of transplants and front runner casual fans in the area and with over 22 million people living in the area, that is how opposing teams fans fill up the stadium.

i would imagine some people do travel there because its such a nice place to visit and tickets are easy to get but the vast majority live within an hour or two drive.
                            sigpic

Comment

It's weird how when the bolts were winning people supported the team cause they were hard core fans

When they aren't winning they don't...but it's because the city is filled with transplants that have no allegiance

Kinda like smack here...boy from 06 -08 this place was infested with life long hard core charger fans...who started disappearing

And by 2010....vanished

Maybe they were transplant smackers
                              sigpic
                              when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Working...
                              X