Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Rivera's as big of a crybaby as Cam is

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...rced-open-road

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera feels "disrespected" that the NFL schedule makers didn't allow the defending NFC Champions to open at home.

He called it a "pain in the ass" to spend the entire offseason reliving the 24-10 Super Bowl 50 loss to Denver so the league could schedule a rematch at Denver to kick off the season.

"Forget the fact that you're the defending NFC champs and you deserve to open up at home in front of your home crowd on opening week," Rivera said on Friday, eight days after a 21-20 loss to the Broncos. "We're going to make you guys relive it for five more months. That's how I felt.

"So for the next five months I've got to put up with it, deal with it, answer the questions and relive it constantly over and over and over. Honestly, it became a pain in the ass."

The subject came up when Rivera was asked if there would be a moment before Sunday's home opener against the San Francisco 49ers to honor last season in which Carolina had an NFL-best 15-1 record during the regular season and won the NFC Championship.

That led to Rivera getting on his self-proclaimed "soapbox" about having to open at Denver.

"I struggled with that," Rivera said. "I really did from Day 1. There are so many things they could have done to honor us and honor our team, our fans and our city that I thought this would have been a great opportunity to show it.

"I feel like we were robbed of that. We had to wait a whole week to do it. You can tell, I'm disappointed it didn't work out that way."

Rivera said he will bring his grievance up at the annual league meetings, but he didn't sound optimistic that would do any good.

"But the scheduling is a whole different group of people," Rivera said. "There's not much we can do about it."

Rivera didn't find any solace in the league giving Carolina 10 days to prepare for a San Francisco team coming off a Monday night game.

He immediately pointed to Carolina's late-season Monday night game at Washington followed by a Saturday game against Atlanta. He also reference having to play at Seattle a week after playing at Oakland.

The Panthers plan to spend the week practicing in California to avoid consecutive cross-country flights.

"I mean ... we asked for certain things to help us out," Rivera said. "We didn't get any of it. I'm disappointed. Let's be honest. I've got a group of men in there that do the things that we ask the last five years, it's been a battle to get to where we are ... sometimes I feel disrespected."

Boo hoo hoo....I had to play the Broncos again boo hoo!

Cry me a river of how bad your disrespect is Rivera.
    sigpic

Yeah maybe they should practice kicking field goals. Ice the kicker, put the pressure on in practice. If you miss the whole team automatically has to do 20 laps... Lol

Comment

Can you imagine what this is doing to his team? You are the head coach man. Show these guys that you are tough. That you can take some hits and keep rolling. Seems to me he is creating a culture of excuse making. That won't help the season at all.
      My Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/TheJRTrax

Comment

Wow, this is crazy!

Remember to open to 2013 season the Ravens had to come to Denver due to scheduling conflicts, and they had won the Super Bowl! They didn't complain, half the teams have to open on the road, it's the way it is, deal with it.

Comment

Cry me a river. Maybe he learned from Phyllis.
          sigpic

Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

Comment

Well next time he should coach better so he can play at home and not have to worry in the offseason.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
              Wow, this is crazy!

Remember to open to 2013 season the Ravens had to come to Denver due to scheduling conflicts, and they had won the Super Bowl! They didn't complain, half the teams have to open on the road, it's the way it is, deal with it.
              The Ravens knew they were gunna lose anyway. Might as well get stomped on the road, and save their fans the embarrassment.

Comment

Meh, on to Indy .........
                sigpic

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                    Meh, on to Indy .........
                    hard to tell that to other broncos fans that are treating a week 1 win like they just won the SB again. lol

Comment

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
                      hard to tell that to other broncos fans that are treating a week 1 win like they just won the SB again. lol
                      Baphs you guys pull off that win vs KC I think you would be a little more stoked than you you think.
                      sigpic

Comment

I haven't seen anybody acting like we won the Super Bowl after week one. I did say Simeon = Montana just to see the opinion I would get but that was out of pure fun.

Anyway shouldn't you be worrying if the Chargers are going to beat Jacksonville rather than constantly dabbing over the Broncos success.

Comment

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                          Baphs you guys pull off that win vs KC I think you would be a little more stoked than you you think.
                          i would be happy we won but it's just one game. you guys are all acting like i need to eat crow after one week, nuff said right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                            I haven't seen anybody acting like we won the Super Bowl after week one. I did say Simeon = Montana just to see the opinion I would get but that was out of pure fun.

Anyway shouldn't you be worrying if the Chargers are going to beat Jacksonville rather than constantly dabbing over the Broncos success.
                            a few of you demanded that i eat crow right after the carolina win, broncopower was one of them and there were a couple others as well that i can't remember. why would they demand such a thing after only one win? because they clearly think that's a wrap.

oh yeah kish called me an idiot because you won a game too, like it's a foregone conclusion that the broncos just locked up the division

also, i'm not as worried about the jags as you should be worried about the colts, a team that just beat you last season. the jags haven't beat the chargers in their last 5 games and we play them almost every year.

there are few teams the chargers own more than the jags and i don't think this game will be much different,. the chiefs game i thought they had a good chance to lose even though they shouldn't have.

this game? i think it's pretty evenly matched but the chargers should win it.

Comment

To be fair....because I felt that way too... A Super Bowl rematch, if you will, as the first game certainly seemed to validate the victory even more, so I feel that elation too.

But now it's on to more Relevant games...conference ones.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X