DMac says Kirk Cousins not happening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMac says Kirk Cousins not happening

Sorry no link, it was a radio broadcast but yesterday on the drive radio show DMac and Chad Brown did some speculating on the possibility or non possibility of signing Kirk Cousins to the broncos.

Chad Brown says it would be impossible for the Broncos to employ the highest paid defender and the highest paid QB in the league. (Something I’ve been saying all a long)

We all know or at least hope Von Miller is here to stay and not going anywhere soon but parting with him is basically the only way we sign Von Miller according to DMac.

Both men agreed that it just isn’t happening and this was their solution as the two did a little bit of role play.
    DMac as Elway and Chad as the Browns FO.

DMac/Elway: I am willing to give you the number 5 pick in th 2018 draft a long with my first round selection in next years draft AND Aqib Talib for your number 1 pick this year!

Chad/Browns: Uh NO! We’ll pass on your aging corner but we will take all of your draft selections this year and next year in exchange for OUR number 1pick...

DMac/Elway: Your breaking my balls here.
    Chad/Browns: Its my job to do so!

DMac/Elway: How about I give you my two first round picks in both drafts plus Emmanuel Sanders?

Chad/Browns: Done, We’ll take it.

DMac proceeds on with the suggestion that since Denver won’t be able to acquire Kirk Cousins, nor will Cousins want to play for Denver since it is envitable that they will part with certain receiving talents and the lack of quality offensive linemen. He goes on to say that they will some how make a trade with the Browns for the first overall pick and select Josh Rosen because at that point he will declare. He also suggests that Broncos will then Persue Teddy Bridgwater or Josh McCown to be the bridge guy until Rosen is ready.

Basically broncos country is getting their hopes up for Cousins only to be let down in disappointment.

My question is, how do they figure Cousins will still be the highest paid QB?? Just because he's made that amount the last couple years from being tagged?? What if there are other things in play here???

I still don't think he's in Orange and Blue next year, but you never know.
    sigpic

Comment

His production doesn't suggest he should be the highest paid QB, but he'll be top 10... top 5 possibly. Regardless, there is NO WAY the Redskins are going to let him go. We'd have to match/exceed whatever they'd offer him. I just don't think it's happening.

In regards to trading up for Rosen... why has there been so much bad press on this kid? Where there is smoke, there is fire. Do we really believe he is a transformative player and the "next big thing" at QB? We'd be giving up A LOT to move a couple spots up. Is he worth giving up 2 (1st round) possibly pro-bowl players over the next couple years?

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
        His production doesn't suggest he should be the highest paid QB, but he'll be top 10... top 5 possibly. Regardless, there is NO WAY the Redskins are going to let him go. We'd have to match/exceed whatever they'd offer him. I just don't think it's happening.

In regards to trading up for Rosen... why has there been so much bad press on this kid? Where there is smoke, there is fire. Do we really believe he is a transformative player and the "next big thing" at QB? We'd be giving up A LOT to move a couple spots up. Is he worth giving up 2 (1st round) possibly pro-bowl players over the next couple years?
        Not really, infact he could turn out to be Ryan Leaf 2.0. I think we sign Bridgewater, Taylor or Foles. Preferably Foles and then draft Allen or Mayfield unless Jackson is in the board but All are projects.
        Last edited by Sam_Z; 12-28-2017, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Will be interesting to see how JE approaches rebuilding the Broncos. It seems Denver will be in pretty good shape with salary cap space, dead money and Unrestricted Free Agents.
          With that said, they've also got a bunch of holes to fill.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainrnxile View Post
            Will be interesting to see how JE approaches rebuilding the Broncos. It seems Denver will be in pretty good shape with salary cap space, dead money and Unrestricted Free Agents.
            With that said, they've also got a bunch of holes to fill.
            CHJ said in an interview that this is possibly the end of the no fly zone.

It doesn’t really sink in until you hear a key piece of the puzzle say it but it is very concerning because the NFZ has been the most consistent and strength of the Broncos!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
              CHJ said in an interview that this is possibly the end of the no fly zone.

It doesn’t really sink in until you hear a key piece of the puzzle say it but it is very concerning because the NFZ has been the most consistent and strength of the Broncos!
              I could see Talib going..... CHJ won't go anywhere and with Roby, they'll still be in pretty good shape. Just need to find a new, (quality), Nickle CB.
              sigpic

Comment

I don't really care what 2 broadcasters, 1 of whom (DMac) is consistently wrong, have to say. But I don't think it will happen for 1 simple reason, the Transition Tag. Washington has the right to match any offer given, and the offer sheet would need to front load the first year and make it difficult for Washington to match, however Washington has more cap room than Denver, so Denver can't make it difficult for Washington.

I'm not sure that Washington really wants to keep him all that badly given his reluctance to negotiate with them in any way. But the Transition Tag allows them to just take the long term contract someone else negotiates OR it allows them to call the team that signed the offer sheet and tell them they're going to match the deal unless they can come to some sort of agreement on compensation that makes it worth their while.

Comment

Not really, infact he could turn out to be Ryan Leaf 2.0. I think we sign Bridgewater, Taylor or Foles. Preferably Foles and then draft Allen or Mayfield unless Jackson is in the board but All are projects.

I think those three are also the more likely routes, although my preference would be Bridgewater, because he's the free agent. Taylor might be released but it looks like they'll try and trade him first and Foles seems like a guy who they'll keep unless they get a great trade offer.

But signing Bridgewater and drafting Mayfield would be my preference.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                    I think those three are also the more likely routes, although my preference would be Bridgewater, because he's the free agent. Taylor might be released but it looks like they'll try and trade him first and Foles seems like a guy who they'll keep unless they get a great trade offer.

But signing Bridgewater and drafting Mayfield would be my preference.
                    I don't know about Mayfield..... Too Manziel to me....... I'd be okay with Bridgewater though.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm intrigued what you folks think will be the timeline for a Broncos resurgence. Obviously the main players on Denver's D have a somewhat limited shelf life, which would be sad to waste. On the other hand maybe it's time for a complete rebuild. It's obvious a good QB can make a huge difference in today's NFL, but maybe JE trades some pieces with an eye towards the 2020+ seasons.

Comment

I'm intrigued what you folks think will be the timeline for a Broncos resurgence. Obviously the main players on Denver's D have a somewhat limited shelf life, which would be sad to waste. On the other hand maybe it's time for a complete rebuild. It's obvious a good QB can make a huge difference in today's NFL, but maybe JE trades some pieces with an eye towards the 2020+ seasons.
                        What is making this so tough is the fact that Von Miller is so good and a big part of our defense but he’s eating up a huge QB like chunk of the cap.

The Broncos would have to choose between him or a franchise QB when it really comes down to it however are there any sure fire guarantees at the QB position that are within Denver’s reach? I really don’t think so, therefore I would not part with Von Miller, not even for Kirk Cousins.

I do believe that if the broncos dedicate a couple high picks in the draft to the offensive line and possibly a couple free agent signings (proven linemen not any Watson’s or Stephenson’s) then an above average QB like Bridgewater or Foles would be ok playing here but it all starts up front with that O-line.

Comment

What is making this so tough is the fact that Von Miller is so good and a big part of our defense but he’s eating up a huge QB like chunk of the cap.

The Broncos would have to choose between him or a franchise QB when it really comes down to it however are there any sure fire guarantees at the QB position that are within Denver’s reach? I really don’t think so, therefore I would not part with Von Miller, not even for Kirk Cousins.

I do believe that if the broncos dedicate a couple high picks in the draft to the offensive line and possibly a couple free agent signings (proven linemen not any Watson’s or Stephenson’s) then an above average QB like Bridgewater or Foles would be ok playing here but it all starts up front with that O-line.
                          From what I've read, the Broncos have about $11 mil carry over from this year. Ad another $20 mil in NFL salary cap increase and Denver has at least $30+ mil minimum to work wth. JE ha some tough decisions to make.

Comment

From what I've read, the Broncos have about $11 mil carry over from this year. Ad another $20 mil in NFL salary cap increase and Denver has at least $30+ mil minimum to work wth. JE ha some tough decisions to make.
                            Yeah he really does and it is possible to sign Kirk but like many have already said, it’s only come at the expense of other high priced players like Talib and Sanders.

Comment

Yeah he really does and it is possible to sign Kirk but like many have already said, it’s only come at the expense of other high priced players like Talib and Sanders.
                              I think they can do it if they give more in guarantees. It's not ideal, but if they really want him and think he's the medium term (at least) answer, give him 5 at $125 million, $25 million of which is signing bonus and fully guarantee the first three years at signing. The cap hit would "only" be $25 million per season, but with $85 million guaranteed it might scare everyone else away and keep Washington from matching, if they Transition Tag him.

Comment

Working...
                              X