Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Trouble in Little New England

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    I don't like NE and they are annoying but I do respect what they have achieved and personally don't find anything tainted about it. We all also need to remember that whatever is said about Brady playing forever it is very likely he will have 2 seasons left at best because father time gets to everyone, and when he retires we will see NE have the same problem everyone goes through trying to find a QB.

    Although I do respect the Pats, there are a few things I think they get over-hyped about.

    1 - BB is a great coach and one of the best ever, but he has only had success with Brady behind center (possibly the GOAT). The real challenge for BB is when Brady retires can he build another team to compete. If he retires with Brady then he will always have questions about his greatness IMO.

    No one will put John Fox or Gary Kubiak down as a 'great' coach but when they had PM behind center for 4 seasons we - had the #1 seed in 3 of those 4 seasons, went to 2 SB's and went 2-0 against NE in that time. During those 4 seaons both us and NE collected 1 ring but clearly Denver had more success in total wins, seeding, and head to head battles in the playoffs.

    My point being that if we had PM his whole career we would have had a ton of success with whoever was coach, so BB is very fortunate that he has had Brady all these years.

    2 - I think NE has it easier then most teams every season. They never seem to have anyone good in that division to challenge them, I know Buffalo went to the playoffs but they were not that good. It just seems that every season NE rack up wins against one of the worst divisions in football with no challenges and get enough wins to get homefield......... and as we know it is very hard to win on the road in the playoffs.

    NE are 0-6 on the road in the playoffs so they clearly need to play games at Gillette in January (another question I have with BB's greatness..... 0-6 on the road in the playoffs)

    3 - They seem to get more luck then most. Generally I believe you make your own luck and the better teams win close games because they are better and keep their composure. That being said NE definitely seem to get very lucky at times. Here are just a few examples off the top of my head -

    In their win against Pittsburgh a few weeks ago the Steelers drive the whole field and would have won the game if not for the Jesse James drop. I believe the ruling was correct, he lost control, but it was a pretty simple uncontested catch that he really should of made to win the game. Then Pittsburgh get homefield and play the Titans who they would have beat and then NE at home (who are 0-6 on the road in the playoffs)

    Against Atlanta in the SB it was a great comeback but the Falcons clearly started playing the clock which was extremely poor coaching, and near the end of the game they had the ball in FG range and all they had to do was run the ball and kick the FG to go up 2 scores and clinch the win. For some reason they drop back to pass and take a big sack out of FG range, and the rest is history.

    Against Seattle Wilson drove the whole field on NE and regardless of what any pundits said afterwards no one will ever convince me that Marshawn Lynch would not have picked up 1/2 yards on 2-3 carries at the GL. It was a shocking play call and just looked like the OC was trying to be too clever.


    So all in all NE's record speaks for itself and Brady, BB, and the whole organisation deserve enormous respect and credit, but there is no doubt that they have had an enormous slice of luck along the way and the football gods have been in their corner far more then any other teams.
    And the football gods will punish them a 100x over in return for their arrogance, mocking and disgrace toward the league.
    sigpic2020 HOFER!!!!
    Adopted Bronco: Justin Simmons 2017,2018 ,2019
    PATS FANS COME TO THIS BOARD BECAUSE THEY RESPECT AND APPRECIATE US

    Comment


    • #92
      Excellent post Bronx - fair.

      One nit pick: The Pats (w/ TB) are 3-4 on the road post season and 5-2 at neutral sites. Their road record isn't dominant, but that's why home field advantage is so important. Most teams have problems with road playoff games - for instance the 49ers (w/ Montana) were 2-5 and the Broncos (w/ Elway) were 3-3.

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by Mainrnxile View Post
        Excellent post Bronx - fair.

        One nit pick: The Pats (w/ TB) are 3-4 on the road post season and 5-2 at neutral sites. Their road record isn't dominant, but that's why home field advantage is so important. Most teams have problems with road playoff games - for instance the 49ers (w/ Montana) were 2-5 and the Broncos (w/ Elway) were 3-3.
        Thanks, I read somewhere it was 0-6 but should have checked the accuracy of that report. If you say its 3-4 then I believe you. That is not so bad but still shows the huge discrepancy between NE playing at home and on the road in January, although like you say its always been like that throughout history for any team. Its tough to beat good teams on the road, especially in the playoffs.

        Just for fun I'm pretty sure Eli Manning must have a good record on the road in the playoffs, I remember them winning some big games on the road during their SB wins....... although that was just as much down to that pass rush then Eli.

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
          Thanks, I read somewhere it was 0-6 but should have checked the accuracy of that report. If you say its 3-4 then I believe you. That is not so bad but still shows the huge discrepancy between NE playing at home and on the road in January, although like you say its always been like that throughout history for any team. Its tough to beat good teams on the road, especially in the playoffs.

          Just for fun I'm pretty sure Eli Manning must have a good record on the road in the playoffs, I remember them winning some big games on the road during their SB wins....... although that was just as much down to that pass rush then Eli.
          Good call on Eli - looks like he's been 5-2 on the road post season

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by Mainrnxile View Post
            Good call on Eli - looks like he's been 5-2 on the road post season
            Not related to the thread but Eli is known as a slam dunk HOF QB whenever you read about him.

            Thoughts on that ? Would you have him in the hall ?

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
              Not related to the thread but Eli is known as a slam dunk HOF QB whenever you read about him.

              Thoughts on that ? Would you have him in the hall ?
              He'll get in - 2 SB victories over the Pats, one of which ruined their perfect season. He is IMO not HoF worthy on ability alone - but he caught lightning in a bottle at very oportune times. Certainly not the worst HoF inductee historically

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by Assassin27 View Post
                Oh the Federal Bureau of Inflation. I should have known.
                Haha, good one.

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                  Although I do respect the Pats, there are a few things I think they get over-hyped about.

                  1 - BB is a great coach and one of the best ever, but he has only had success with Brady behind center (possibly the GOAT). The real challenge for BB is when Brady retires can he build another team to compete. If he retires with Brady then he will always have questions about his greatness IMO.

                  No one will put John Fox or Gary Kubiak down as a 'great' coach but when they had PM behind center for 4 seasons we - had the #1 seed in 3 of those 4 seasons, went to 2 SB's and went 2-0 against NE in that time. During those 4 seaons both us and NE collected 1 ring but clearly Denver had more success in total wins, seeding, and head to head battles in the playoffs.

                  My point being that if we had PM his whole career we would have had a ton of success with whoever was coach, so BB is very fortunate that he has had Brady all these years.

                  You can say that about team and coach. If the Cowboys had Jim Brown...............If we had had Randy Moss his whole career..............if the other team never came out for the second half...............

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by MileHigh Salute View Post
                    Here is the thing that really irks me about this whole dynasty garbage. First it was "Spygate" and that was a legitimate issue for the first 3 super bowls which was not disclosed until much later. Like it or not those wins are tainted and to be honest should be stricken based on the facts.
                    Do you really believe that NE was the only team trying to steal signals, or that they were magically better at it? Please, use some commonsense.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Mainrnxile View Post
                      Good call on Eli - looks like he's been 5-2 on the road post season
                      That's really a ridiculous stat worth talking about. Manning, Brady, Favre, Marino, Montana, Kelly, Bradshaw, and Aikman all had/have losing records in road playoff games. Marino was 1-6, Montana was 2-5, Brees is 1-5, and Aikman was 1-4. Rodgers is 5-5. Gives you an idea of how good Rodgers really is, because his teams are rarely good enough to get homefield advantage, and it's still a 50/50 proposition. Elway was 3-3, and Johnny U went .500 as well.

                      It very rarely ever happens that a quarterback who play numerous road playoff games have a winning record. Flacco is currently 7-5, and Roethlisberger is 5-3.

                      EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, Elway has a winning record. He's 3-2, because he didn't start the Seattle game in '83, and he didn't go in until the 4th quarter.
                      Last edited by Spice 1; 01-28-2018, 09:28 AM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
                        That's really a ridiculous stat worth talking about. Manning, Brady, Favre, Marino, Montana, Kelly, Bradshaw, and Aikman all had/have losing records in road playoff games. Marino was 1-6, Montana was 2-5, Brees is 1-5, and Aikman was 1-4. Rodgers is 5-5. Gives you an idea of how good Rodgers really is, because his teams are rarely good enough to get homefield advantage, and it's still a 50/50 proposition. Elway was 3-3, and Johnny U went .500 as well.

                        It very rarely ever happens that a quarterback who play numerous road playoff games have a winning record. Flacco is currently 7-5, and Roethlisberger is 5-3.

                        EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, Elway has a winning record. He's 3-2, because he didn't start the Seattle game in '83, and he didn't go in until the 4th quarter.
                        Didn't read the thread to understand my context did you?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Mainrnxile View Post
                          Didn't read the thread to understand my context did you?
                          Sorry Spice - after rereading your post, I misunderstood your point. My snark was unnecessary.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Mainrnxile View Post
                            Sorry Spice - after rereading your post, I misunderstood your point. My snark was unnecessary.
                            It's all good, dude. I was more confused than anything.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Mainrnxile View Post
                              Sorry Spice - after rereading your post, I misunderstood your point. My snark was unnecessary.
                              And this is why you are one of the few I don't despise. You at least make an attempt at civility and level headed posting.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X