Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chargers Struggling to Fill Seats (shocker)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chargers Struggling to Fill Seats (shocker)

    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...aign=editorial

    I wonder how long it will be before the Chargers move to another city. It wouldn't shock me to see them do a complete rebrand with new team name, logo, city, ect... It's hard to be a fan of the Chargers apparently. At least on a consistent basis.


    NFL owners and executives have reportedly discussed the Chargers' long-term viability in Los Angeles at this week's league meetings.

    According to Seth Wickersham of ESPN The Magazine, it has been a "struggle" for the Chargers to sell personal seat licenses for Los Angeles Stadium at Hollywood Park in Inglewood, California.

    Wickersham added the Chargers are likely to revise their revenue goals from $400 million to $150 million as a result.

    The Chargers played their inaugural season in Los Angeles in 1960 before moving to San Diego and staying there for the next 55 years.

    Following the 2016 season, the Chargers relocated back to L.A.

    Since the move, the Bolts have played their home games at the StubHub Center in Carson, California, which holds only 27,000 people.

    The Chargers will be co-tenants with the Los Angeles Rams in Inglewood beginning in 2020.

    Unlike the Rams, the Chargers seemingly haven't been welcomed back to the Los Angeles market with open arms. Several factors are likely at play, including the fact that the Rams have a more storied history in L.A., as they played there from 1946 until 1994 when they moved to St. Louis. The franchise moved back to the city in 2016.

    The Rams currently play their home games at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

    So far this season, the Chargers are last in the NFL in average attendance at 25,370 due, in large part, to their small venue.

    Meanwhile, the Rams are 14th at 69,163.

    The Rams won the NFC West last season and are the only remaining undefeated team in the NFL this season at 6-0.

    The Chargers are also in the playoff hunt at 4-2, but there is little doubt that the Rams are viewed as the top team in Los Angeles, which may be part of the reason for the Bolts' seat-selling struggles.
    sigpic

  • #2
    I wonder if the NFL might try to nudge them back to San Diego at some point? Get them in a room and make it work. Especially since Alex Spanos just passed away. Find an owner who will move them back and be the hero.

    Comment


    • #3
      Win a SuperBowl and the bandwagon's wheels will break with so many bodies on it.

      Fun fact. I was almost a Chargers fan. When I first started watching football as a wee lad, the first two teams that caught my eye were the Chargers because of the lightning bolts and color, and the Jets because they were the local team and I met some of the players. So I chose the Raiders thanks to my dad ,lol.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
        Win a SuperBowl
        Take it easy there, bud. We're talking about the CHARGERS here.


        Everything San Diego does is stupid. They rushed themselves into LA because it seems like they wanted to follow a trend with the talk of St Louis and Oakland moving there, put themselves into a stadium that's 1/2 to 1/3 the size of college football stadiums before they had an actual stadium built because they wore out their welcome in San Diego and left a bad taste in the fans in San Diego's mouths so they won't even drive to LA to go to a game. Sure they'll share a stadium with the Rams but 1. that's lame and 2. it will look even emptier because it's bigger.
        :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
          Win a SuperBowl and the bandwagon's wheels will break with so many bodies on it.

          Fun fact. I was almost a Chargers fan. When I first started watching football as a wee lad, the first two teams that caught my eye were the Chargers because of the lightning bolts and color, and the Jets because they were the local team and I met some of the players. So I chose the Raiders thanks to my dad ,lol.
          I chose the Broncos because of my dad. We sat down to watch a game when I was young, and he convinced me to cheer for the other team and we would make a fun bet on the game. He was a Browns fan and that was the day of the drive. I've been a Broncos fan ever since.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
            Win a SuperBowl and the bandwagon's wheels will break with so many bodies on it.
            Calm down satan! No one wants that type of torture for the division lol.

            The chargers have to forever be without a ring so every other team in the division can hold that over them.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
              Win a SuperBowl and the bandwagon's wheels will break with so many bodies on it.

              Fun fact. I was almost a Chargers fan. When I first started watching football as a wee lad, the first two teams that caught my eye were the Chargers because of the lightning bolts and color, and the Jets because they were the local team and I met some of the players. So I chose the Raiders thanks to my dad ,lol.
              What a nightmare! You seem so balanced after enduring such abuse. :thumb:
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
                Take it easy there, bud. We're talking about the CHARGERS here.


                Everything San Diego does is stupid. They rushed themselves into LA because it seems like they wanted to follow a trend with the talk of St Louis and Oakland moving there, put themselves into a stadium that's 1/2 to 1/3 the size of college football stadiums before they had an actual stadium built because they wore out their welcome in San Diego and left a bad taste in the fans in San Diego's mouths so they won't even drive to LA to go to a game. Sure they'll share a stadium with the Rams but 1. that's lame and 2. it will look even emptier because it's bigger.
                actually, they (and the raiders) rushed to try and beat the rams to the punch with their own stadium plans because it's a gold mine but the NFL owners picked the rams plan. also, san diego better never get another team again. they had every chance to keep the chargers and they voted no by a landslide. they can't even get a soccer stadium built there. that city is corrupt and unless it benefits the "hoteliers" whom line the mayor's and other local politicians pockets with cash, then nothing is getting built there.

                the chargers needed a new stadium just like the raiders do and they would have never gotten one in San Diego. what choice do the chargers have? they need to leave California if they or the rams actually want real fan support.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                  I wonder if the NFL might try to nudge them back to San Diego at some point? Get them in a room and make it work. Especially since Alex Spanos just passed away. Find an owner who will move them back and be the hero.
                  who's going to finance a stadium? San Diego had the best deal that any city could possibly get, all they had to do is raise the hotel tax and there would have been no out of pocket money to pay for the stadium. most residents wouldn't need to get a hotel so visitors and rival fans would have literally been the ones paying for the stadium. unfortunately, the "hoteliers" didn't like that so they campaigned heavily against it and the dumb residents bought it.

                  the spano's have nowhere near the money that stan kroenke and his wife has, they needed help funding the stadium like the vast majority of stadiums that are built.

                  another thing people don't seem to realize is there is a lot more money in LA even with less fans attending. going back to San Diego wouldn't be smart from a financial standpoint because you would be going back for less money and still have crap fan support, even if it is slightly less crappy than LA.

                  if the charger want good fan support.....leave socal, the land of the fairwather fan.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                    I chose the Broncos because of my dad. We sat down to watch a game when I was young, and he convinced me to cheer for the other team and we would make a fun bet on the game. He was a Browns fan and that was the day of the drive. I've been a Broncos fan ever since.
                    One of the AFC Championship games?
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                      What a nightmare! You seem so balanced after enduring such abuse. :thumb:
                      Haha, I'm old so the first 15+ years were great. Collectively great to decent before the current Dark Age (2003-present)

                      My dad brought me a bunch of Raider gear but I wasn't a football fan much. I had a Jack Tatum, Ken Stabler and Cliff Branch mini jerseys, a Raider helmet, Raider towels, just a bunch of Raider stuff. But I didn't LOVE them, I just wore them because they matched my shoes. But once I understood the game, I understood his Jedi mind tricks and eventually succumbed to his wishes. He was lucky because thinking about it now, I probably would've been a Jets fan if I was left to decide on my own. Despite the nonsense the Raiders have put me through for a while now, being a Jets fan would've been FAR worse. I forgot to mention that the Vikings were also in the running for my fanhood because of the highlights of seeing them in the snow and cold in the old Metropolitan stadium.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
                        Haha, I'm old so the first 15+ years were great. Collectively great to decent before the current Dark Age (2003-present)

                        My dad brought me a bunch of Raider gear but I wasn't a football fan much. I had a Jack Tatum, Ken Stabler and Cliff Branch mini jerseys, a Raider helmet, Raider towels, just a bunch of Raider stuff. But I didn't LOVE them, I just wore them because they matched my shoes. But once I understood the game, I understood his Jedi mind tricks and eventually succumbed to his wishes. He was lucky because thinking about it now, I probably would've been a Jets fan if I was left to decide on my own. Despite the nonsense the Raiders have put me through for a while now, being a Jets fan would've been FAR worse. I forgot to mention that the Vikings were also in the running for my fanhood because of the highlights of seeing them in the snow and cold in the old Metropolitan stadium.
                        We got some Bronco fans who are now Vikimgs fans!!!! LoL!!!!
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by baphamet View Post
                          who's going to finance a stadium? San Diego had the best deal that any city could possibly get, all they had to do is raise the hotel tax and there would have been no out of pocket money to pay for the stadium. most residents wouldn't need to get a hotel so visitors and rival fans would have literally been the ones paying for the stadium. unfortunately, the "hoteliers" didn't like that so they campaigned heavily against it and the dumb residents bought it.

                          the spano's have nowhere near the money that stan kroenke and his wife has, they needed help funding the stadium like the vast majority of stadiums that are built.

                          another thing people don't seem to realize is there is a lot more money in LA even with less fans attending. going back to San Diego wouldn't be smart from a financial standpoint because you would be going back for less money and still have crap fan support, even if it is slightly less crappy than LA.

                          if the charger want good fan support.....leave socal, the land of the fairwather fan.
                          If the NFL decides the Chargers don't belong in LA (and the crowds and which teams they cheer for seem to point in that direction), they can push the Spanos family to sell now that Alex is dead. And if the NFL can find a billionaire owner (not difficult for them) they can figure out a way to get a stadium done in San Diego.

                          The NFL screwed up in letting the Chargers and not the Raiders move to LA, now you've got a team that no one seems to want playing in a small stadium that opposition fans fill. I don't think they'll be in LA long, and I think Jerry Jones and Bob McNair will use their contacts to get them back to San Diego before they ever allow them into the other reasonable destination, San Antonio.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                            One of the AFC Championship games?

                            The 1987 AFC Championship Game (following the 86 season) the day of the Drive.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                              The 1987 AFC Championship Game (following the 86 season) the day of the Drive.
                              Duuuuude!!!!! That was the first game i ever watched!!!! My dad was born and raised in Denver and I remember him flipping the coffee table when the kick returner messed up and we ended up at our own 2 yard line. Then I saw Elway do what my dad kept saying wouldn’t happen, and I hooked from that day on ( a month before I turned 8)
                              My poor 11 year daughter is now brainwashed like me, hahahaha!!!!!
                              I knew by your name you were and old school Broncos fan ; )
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X