Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antonio Brown (Merged) - now a Raider - just kidding, he's not

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I hope the Steelers tag him again. And sits again. He already lost a year of play time. Has shown he is not durable and it’s all about the money.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
      I hope the Steelers tag him again. And sits again. He already lost a year of play time. Has shown he is not durable and it’s all about the money.
      He plays one of the least valuable positions in the NFL. Rookies annually step in and perform at high levels at the RB position. How many teams will value spending $15 million per season on a player with red flags, v $1 million on a draft pick that will probably produce at levels that produce high greater contract value.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
        Agreed with all of that. He wanted and imo deserved some future guarantees in his contract and didn't want to risk injury on what was essentially a one year deal. I also think he wanted out of Pittsburgh. Him sitting is getting him both. While he was not paid this year, I think he made a good move both for him and future players in his position and I personally applaud it. I'm guessing Earl Thomas does too.
        Yeah, I agree with his move. With the kind of production he was giving Pittsburg, he should have been paid with more guaranteed $$. You don’t ask your star RB to touch the ball 300-350 times and not guarantee his future. Or maybe you do and he decides to sit out and find a team that will. With all the issues in Pittsburg I don’t blame Bell one bit.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
          The biggest reason I disagree with you is because of the position he plays, which has quickly become one of the least valued positions in football. Year after year we see RBs come out of nowhere and have great years. I also think he was hurt by the season that James Conner had in his absence. It's easier for the argument to be made that it was the scheme and not the player.

          He'll still get paid, but I don't think he breaks the bank, and I don't think he gets $15 million this year. Only 2 RBs in the league make over $10 million per season, Gurley is the highest at $14.3 million, and the other player is David Johnson at $13 million, and that contract has proven to be a bad spend to this point.
          I don't know whether he will get 15 million a year, but I think he will probably get at least double that and probably more in guaranteed money over multiple years with a chance at making a whole lot more if can stay healthy and keep producing as he has. He has been dominant at his position. He was still one of if not the best RB (imo the best) in the league last time he played and now he has had a year to rest and get healthy. I also think he wanted out of Pitt.There will be a market for him , he will be able to choose where he will go and he will get paid. imo.

          I also think it was a good move on his part cause if he had gotten hurt it could have really affected his ability to get a good contract after this year. From what I have read, sounds like Pitt offered him a big number contract ($70 mil ) but hardly any of it was guaranteed. In the NFL world the Guaranteed part means everything. Especially at his position.

          We shall see, should be interesting come FA. :thumb:
          Last edited by FL BRONCO; 02-19-2019, 06:59 PM.
          My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
            Look at the other RB contracts out there, look at the results James Conner had behind that line in Pittsburgh, and then look at how rookie RBs annually step in and perform immediately in the NFL. He's not getting more than Gurley, and it's doubtful he gets guarantees that he thinks he's worth. He gave away $15 million that he'll never get back.
            Sure, he gave some money away with the tag, but that was the safe play. I don’t know what the exact contract offer was prior, but I remember the guaranteed money not all that great. As many touches as they expect out of him, he was right to want more. He may not get the Gurley contract but he should get more guaranteed $$ than what Pittsburg offered him. There was a ton of risk involved on his part playing under the tag last year. Pittsburg didn’t want to pay him what he wanted but expected him to continue to be the workhorse of that offense. Bell made the best of a tough situation. Where is his future if he goes out and tears his ACL in week 16? Or goes down similar to Sanders?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
              I hope the Steelers tag him again. And sits again. He already lost a year of play time. Has shown he is not durable and it’s all about the money.
              So is he not allowed to look out for his future? The Steelers certainly were not looking out for him with guaranteed $$ vs the amount of touches he receives. Tough to stay healthy with that kind of usage, guarantee your star players future if you plan to run him into the ground.
              Conner went down in his first year replacing Bell. That helps validate Bells decision.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                Look at the other RB contracts out there, look at the results James Conner had behind that line in Pittsburgh, and then look at how rookie RBs annually step in and perform immediately in the NFL. He's not getting more than Gurley, and it's doubtful he gets guarantees that he thinks he's worth. He gave away $15 million that he'll never get back.
                Sure, Conner played good at the start, then fell off toward the end of the season. He eventually went down which only helps Bell’s case.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by SMR81 View Post
                  Sure, Conner played good at the start, then fell off toward the end of the season. He eventually went down which only helps Bell’s case.
                  Didn’t he get hurt ?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by SMR81 View Post
                    Sure, he gave some money away with the tag, but that was the safe play. I don’t know what the exact contract offer was prior, but I remember the guaranteed money not all that great. As many touches as they expect out of him, he was right to want more. He may not get the Gurley contract but he should get more guaranteed $$ than what Pittsburg offered him. There was a ton of risk involved on his part playing under the tag last year. Pittsburg didn’t want to pay him what he wanted but expected him to continue to be the workhorse of that offense. Bell made the best of a tough situation. Where is his future if he goes out and tears his ACL in week 16? Or goes down similar to Sanders?
                    RB is a position that ends up having very little financial security as it is. 9 of the top 11 RBs this year were on rookie contracts, the other two were Gurley and Peterson. And while it's probably right in arguing that Bell should have gotten a contract around or a little higher than Gurley, I'm not sure sitting out for a year will get him there, especially with the 9 of 11 stat.

                    Perhaps I'm looking at it wrong, but I see a contract that guarantees $15 million immediately upon signing it and I think it's something you sign immediately. I understand what you're saying about an injury ending his career, but I think it's equally as likely (probably more so) that he plays the season at $15 million and that leads to a bigger contract after wards.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by SMR81 View Post
                      So is he not allowed to look out for his future? The Steelers certainly were not looking out for him with guaranteed $$ vs the amount of touches he receives. Tough to stay healthy with that kind of usage, guarantee your star players future if you plan to run him into the ground.
                      Conner went down in his first year replacing Bell. That helps validate Bells decision.
                      He’s welcome to make that business decision, .but there is a little thing called the CBA. The Steelers also have the right to do what they did., it’s a two way street here, he could have made 15million last year, or signed a reported 70 million contract. Which is 14million per season and 33 million In Guarantees paid over the first two seasons...


                      Sorry that I don’t feel sorry for him he reportedly wanted 17 million per year...he was offered 14mper season, 70 overall - the largest for any NFL RB.. he didnt give up 15 million to try for more, . He gave up 33 million...if the reports on that contract were accurate.

                      He won’t make that back..
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                        RB is a position that ends up having very little financial security as it is. 9 of the top 11 RBs this year were on rookie contracts, the other two were Gurley and Peterson. And while it's probably right in arguing that Bell should have gotten a contract around or a little higher than Gurley, I'm not sure sitting out for a year will get him there, especially with the 9 of 11 stat.

                        Perhaps I'm looking at it wrong, but I see a contract that guarantees $15 million immediately upon signing it and I think it's something you sign immediately. I understand what you're saying about an injury ending his career, but I think it's equally as likely (probably more so) that he plays the season at $15 million and that leads to a bigger contract after wards.
                        That works if he stays healthy, but what if gets a career ender? Earl Thomas did exactly what you are saying and counted on not getting hurt and then broke his leg. I sure hope it is not career ending but what if it had been. And even if not career ending what if he can't get a good contract next year because of it.

                        As a RB, it is very likely this could be Bells last contract regardless.

                        If the Steelers offered $70 mil but really only $10 million was guaranteed or he could play under the Tag for $15 million but he thinks he can sit out and go somewhere else and sign a contract with $30 or more guaranteed, should he play for the Steelers and risk it. What is the right move for him and his family in this situation. Keep in mind Gurley got $45 million in guaranteed money. I'm not sure if each of those numbers is exactly right and I'm not going to look them up. But I think they are close and I'm sure you get my point. I think it was the right move. I would have probably done that.
                        Last edited by FL BRONCO; 02-19-2019, 07:52 PM.
                        My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                          That works if he stays healthy, but what if gets a career ender? Earl Thomas did exactly what you are saying and counted on not getting hurt and then broke his leg. I sure hope it is not career ending but what if it had been. And even if not career ending what if he can't get a good contract next year because of it.

                          As a RB, it is very likely this could be Bells last contract regardless.

                          If the Steelers offered $70 mil but really only $10 million was guaranteed or he could play under the Tag for $15 million but he thinks he can sit out and go somewhere else and sign a contract with $30 or more guaranteed, should he play for the Steelers and risk it. What is the right move for him and his family in this situation. Keep in mind Gurley got $45 million in guaranteed money. I'm not sure if each of those numbers is exactly right and I'm not going to look them up. But I think they are close and I'm sure you get my point. I think it was the right move. I would have probably done that.
                          Se my post above... it was alledgedly 5yr/70 million with 33 million in guarantees paid in the first 2 years. 45 million paid out in total the first 3 years.,
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                            That works if he stays healthy, but what if gets a career ender? Earl Thomas did exactly what you are saying and counted on not getting hurt and then broke his leg. I sure hope it is not career ending but what if it had been. And even if not career ending what if he can't get a good contract next year because of it.

                            As a RB, it is very likely this could be Bells last contract regardless.

                            If the Steelers offered $70 mil but really only $10 million was guaranteed or he could play under the Tag for $15 million but he thinks he can sit out and go somewhere else and sign a contract with $30 or more guaranteed, should he play for the Steelers and risk it. What is the right move for him and his family in this situation. Keep in mind Gurley got $45 million in guaranteed money. I'm not sure if each of those numbers is exactly right and I'm not going to look them up. But I think they are close and I'm sure you get my point. I think it was the right move. I would have probably done that.
                            I guess we'll know this year based on what he gets in guarantees, but the reported numbers were $33 million over 2 years in guarantees from the Steelers on the long term deal.

                            What happens this year if teams are only willing to guarantee him $14 million? What happens if he gets in a car accident and his career is cut short before he signs a new deal? What happens if he fails another drug test? He's only played 16 games once during his 5 year career, his numbers took in dip in 2017 from where they had been, and now he's sat out an entire year in a contract dispute. I don't know that teams will be rushing to give a player at that position with those circumstances a massive windfall.

                            There are lots of what ifs for both sides, to me I think it's better to take the guarantee you definitely have, rather than doing something polarizing (especially as an RB) and hoping for a bigger guarantee in the future.

                            But with that being said, the Jets, Bills, Texans and Raiders all have a lot of cap room and all could use an upgrade (or the chance to go younger) at RB, so maybe they'll create a bidding war and he will get paid?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                              Se my post above... it was alledgedly 5yr/70 million with 33 million in guarantees paid in the first 2 years. 45 million paid out in total the first 3 years.,
                              If so my opinion might change, according to what I read, he was only guaranteed $10 million in first year so his choice was between that or 15 under tag. And it only takes 1 play. . Joe Theisman is a good example of that.

                              I googled it see below.

                              https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/7/...ey-free-agency


                              https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ly-guaranteed/
                              Last edited by FL BRONCO; 02-19-2019, 08:09 PM.
                              My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                                He’s welcome to make that business decision, .but there is a little thing called the CBA. The Steelers also have the right to do what they did., it’s a two way street here, he could have made 15million last year, or signed a reported 70 million contract. Which is 14million per season and 33 million In Guarantees paid over the first two seasons...


                                Sorry that I don’t feel sorry for him he reportedly wanted 17 million per year...he was offered 14mper season, 70 overall - the largest for any NFL RB.. he didnt give up 15 million to try for more, . He gave up 33 million...if the reports on that contract were accurate.

                                He won’t make that back..
                                Was that $33 million guaranteed? I don’t think it was. He had closer to $10 million in guaranteed money. Feed him somewhere between 300-400 touches, ACL goes, they release him with no guaranteed money left after the signing bonus. Again, he did not get a fair contract offer with what was expected out of him. Jerick McKinnon got more guaranteed money than he did, as have other backs who are not close to the talent he is.

                                You don’t have to feel sorry for him, but you should understand his position a bit better. Sure he wanted to get paid for his production, as any player should, but the the Steelers did not offer a contract to reflect that. You want your star back to destroy his body with that many touches every year? Then you need to guarantee his future past $10 million.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X