Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With Bosa's new deal, Melvin Ingram sitting out practices due to contract issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baphamet
    replied
    Originally posted by arapaho View Post
    ya your right its not like that team with those guys could contend for a playoff run or anything
    heh we will see.

Leave a comment:

• arapaho
    replied
    Originally posted by baphamet View Post
    yeah, and half of those guys are expendable.

melvin - would love for him to be extended and retire a charger. his contract shouldn't be too pricey compared to bosa. 15 per'ish

allen - top priority and will demand the most money (after bosa) likely 18-20 per

henry - if he cant stay healthy this season he's gone. even if he does get signed it will be for like 10-12 per

perryman - he's likely gonna be allowed to walk. LB is a deep position now and he's on the outside looking in.

des king - he's a really good nickel/slot corner but he can't play outside and now that chris harris is there, there really isn't a spot for him. likely going to be allowed to test the market or let him walk outright.

pouncey - basically the same situation as henry only cheaper.

taylor - my guess is he will either walk or be re-signed to a backup contract. depending on how the season goes of course. if he was to somehow play at a high level and demand a starter contract, then that could be tricky but a good problem to have. even then he could still be allowed to walk if they feel herbert is ready.

lastly, telesco doesn't seem concerned with it either. this is what he said regarding getting guys locked up and working the cap in 2021.

definitely decisions to be made and not all those guys will be re-signed. but if he wanted to re-sign them all I think he could, unless taylor had a crazy good year but I kinda doubt it honestly. herbert is already picking things up quickly, at this point I won't be surprised if he takes over sooner rather than later.

ya your right its not like that team with those guys could contend for a playoff run or anything

Leave a comment:

• baphamet
    replied
    Originally posted by arapaho View Post
    and 2020 is the last year in the contract of
    melvin
    k allen
    hunter henry
    d perryman
    desmond king
    pouncy
    taylor
    yeah, and half of those guys are expendable.

melvin - would love for him to be extended and retire a charger. his contract shouldn't be too pricey compared to bosa. 15 per'ish

allen - top priority and will demand the most money (after bosa) likely 18-20 per

henry - if he cant stay healthy this season he's gone. even if he does get signed it will be for like 10-12 per

perryman - he's likely gonna be allowed to walk. LB is a deep position now and he's on the outside looking in.

des king - he's a really good nickel/slot corner but he can't play outside and now that chris harris is there, there really isn't a spot for him. likely going to be allowed to test the market or let him walk outright.

pouncey - basically the same situation as henry only cheaper.

taylor - my guess is he will either walk or be re-signed to a backup contract. depending on how the season goes of course. if he was to somehow play at a high level and demand a starter contract, then that could be tricky but a good problem to have. even then he could still be allowed to walk if they feel herbert is ready.

lastly, telesco doesn't seem concerned with it either. this is what he said regarding getting guys locked up and working the cap in 2021.

“I always have future years in my mind,” Telesco said. “I’d say right now, they’re in the back of my mind not in the front of my mind, but we’re set up pretty well for 2021 no matter what happens. So I feel pretty good about that. We’re in a good position for that part down the road, so that’s not a concern right now.
    definitely decisions to be made and not all those guys will be re-signed. but if he wanted to re-sign them all I think he could, unless taylor had a crazy good year but I kinda doubt it honestly. herbert is already picking things up quickly, at this point I won't be surprised if he takes over sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by baphamet; 08-27-2020, 02:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• arapaho
    replied
    who's taking a pay cut to play in Denver? other than melvin gordon that is!

next year the chargers are going to be in amazing shape (#6 in cap space) that's AFTER extending joey bosa. to be honest his "hold in" approach makes little sense. some are speculating he just wants this year fully guaranteed due to covid concerns.

from what I have read, once week one begins, his money this year becomes fully guaranteed. which is why he's still in camp and doing everything except practicing in pads, it's the only thing that actually makes sense. my guess is he will be ready to go come week 1 with no extension.

this isn't a melvin gordon situation, he's not going to screw himself like Gordon did. we need ingram more than we needed to sign gordon, so if there is an extension I wouldn't be surprised. the chargers could still sign him, henry, and allen then still have room for derwin and hopefully mike williams.

the chargers dont have a proven QB or LT but they are in excellent shape otherwise.
    and 2020 is the last year in the contract of
    melvin
    k allen
    hunter henry
    d perryman
    desmond king
    pouncy
    taylor

Leave a comment:

• baphamet
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Does CHJ count?
    well, that depends. did the broncos offer him a contract that he called "disrespectful" just to sign a contract with the chargers that was for even less money?

Leave a comment:

• Sam_Z
    replied
    who's taking a pay cut to play in Denver? other than melvin gordon that is
    Does CHJ count?

Leave a comment:

• baphamet
    replied
    Originally posted by Stackhouser View Post
    The whole ordeal seems to be a complete waste of time and news space......
    for sure man but that's the chargers for you. they seem to think every little thing needs to be kept a secret. made the situation worse because a lot of people thought he was holding out for an extension.

it's also puzzling they waited this long to do it considering in three weeks he's gonna get the money regardless.

Leave a comment:

• Stackhouser
    replied
    Mike Garafolo
    @MikeGarafolo
    #Chargers DE Melvin Ingram signed an adjusted contract yesterday with the team that guaranteed this year’s salary, sources say. That was a driving force in his return to practice. We’ll see what it means regarding his push for a contract extension.

yeah, it's the only thing that made sense and it made sense for the chargers to do it because he would have gotten this year's salary guaranteed in three weeks from now anyway.
    The whole ordeal seems to be a complete waste of time and news space......

Leave a comment:

• baphamet
    replied
    Mike Garafolo
    @MikeGarafolo
    #Chargers DE Melvin Ingram signed an adjusted contract yesterday with the team that guaranteed this year’s salary, sources say. That was a driving force in his return to practice. We’ll see what it means regarding his push for a contract extension.

yeah, it's the only thing that made sense and it made sense for the chargers to do it because he would have gotten this year's salary guaranteed in three weeks from now anyway.
    Last edited by baphamet; 08-21-2020, 10:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sam_Z
    replied
    so today he practices in pads randomly?
    Ingram? Weird!

Maybe he realized he’s too old to make such demands. There’s people (Brandon Stokley) in Denver that wanted Miller traded away just to unload his contract.

Leave a comment:

• baphamet
    replied
    so today he practices in pads randomly?

Leave a comment:

• baphamet
    replied
    Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
    Ingram is far more valuable to that team than Henry imo. Henry has been an incredible red zone asset, but that production could be replaced.

It will be interesting to see how the Chargers play it out. If the team feels Herbert will see the field this year Henry probably gets a big bump in the pecking order.
    overall a good pass rusher is more valuable than a good TE for sure but there is the age factor. ingram will be 32 by the time he would be a FA next season. extending him more than a year or two wouldn't be smart IMO especially for a speed rusher who relies on speed and athletic ability more than strength and technique (like bosa).

the deal with henry is can he stay healthy and play at a high level like he has at times in the past? if he goes out for the season again he's likely done in LA.

Leave a comment:

• baphamet
    replied
    Originally posted by Stackhouser View Post
    I think I'm a little more curious on where they see him in the pecking order, so to speak, along with the other players contracts. Do they line up and pay Henry, Allen, James, Williams before they concern themselves with Ingram?? That's what I'm waiting to see in this scenario being the Cap will be down to 175m for next season,
    the cap will very likely be down. the issue with Ingram is his age. i see keenan allen as the top priority right now by far. they will also need to plan for derwin james to get a big contract as well. a lot cheaper than bosa though.

henry might end up walking, especially if he gets hurt again this season. I really hope they extend ingram at least a year or two but that's it. if it wasn't for ingrams age I would put him as second priority for sure after allen.

Leave a comment:

• atwaterandstir
    replied
    Ingram is far more valuable to that team than Henry imo. Henry has been an incredible red zone asset, but that production could be replaced.

It will be interesting to see how the Chargers play it out. If the team feels Herbert will see the field this year Henry probably gets a big bump in the pecking order.

Leave a comment:

• Stackhouser
    replied
    I'm guessing he will be available week 1. you don't show up to camp and do every single team activity except practice in pads, if you intend to hold out for a contract extension. if that was his plan he's even more clueless than melvin gordon

he's even on the field during padded practices, he's just not practicing.
    I think I'm a little more curious on where they see him in the pecking order, so to speak, along with the other players contracts. Do they line up and pay Henry, Allen, James, Williams before they concern themselves with Ingram?? That's what I'm waiting to see in this scenario being the Cap will be down to 175m for next season,

Leave a comment:

Working...
X