• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arapaho
    reserved for losing bet
    • Mar 2004

season guestimations for the afc west

ok even tho this is a weird and unusual season that may or may not play out fully,
    lets give our usual smack predictions

chiefs, i think they will repeat as afc west champs although with a down year 11-5 and no repeat SB, i believe teams will start to figure out a game plan for mahomes and the offense and those teams with a good offense and stout defense that can execute the game plan have a chance to steal a game from the defending champs

broncos i believe will have a top five defense if we stay healthy and that defense combined with a greatly improved offense over the first 11 games of 2019. sutton and judge jeudy along with KJ in the slot will terrorize weaker DBs, fant and Albert O will start to emerge as the a top TE pair in the afc, and backed up by a up and coming QB and one of the best run games with two pro bowl rbs
    i believe the broncos will finish at 9-7 possibly 10-6

raiders will be the raiders and play great in some games, then look like crap in others, 8-8 to 9-7

and the chargers, without a bonified starting QB on the roster, they either play a career backup or a rookie, they went 5-11 with philip rivers...i dont see how they improve on that much without him, even as bad as he was at times...he still knew the offense, knew his players and could make any throw. so i will still put them at 6-10
    sigpic
    when do native Americans become human and not mascots
  • samparnell
    Soy Capitan Meshpoint
    • Nov 2007

The Chiefs have four tough road games (Baltimore, Buffalo, Tampa, New Orleans) and outside of that anything can happen in pro football. Figuring out a game plan for Mahomes sounds good except for the big plays he makes when chased from the pocket and on the run. Reid has a good system and good coordinators. I'd be surprised if KC doesn't repeat as Division Champs with something in the 11-5/12-4 range. If they slip to 10-6, the division will be in play.

Denver's Offense is hard to predict. With new OC, QB Coach and as many as seven new players on the field at the same time, it will probably be a work in progress hitting their stride after the bye. Every position group has been upgraded, but the key is Drew Lock who will have his ups and downs. Denver's D has received some veteran additions which offset the free agency losses. It is a seasoned group getting more dialed in to Vic Fangio's system. With as many as nine playmakers on the field, the D seems positioned to be a very top unit this year. If so, they will keep the Broncos in games when O struggles. Something from .500 to two games over seems like a reasonably optimistic expectation. Denver has a stellar coaching staff which might make the difference to help them finish second in AFCW.

The Raiders have as good a coaching staff and front office combination as they have had in a long time. Their lines seem good. Offense has some serious weapons. The one area they might have some vulnerability is the Secondary. Derek Carr is being ranked above Drew Lock due to the latter's lack of experience and body of work. Even though, Carr started all sixteen games for the Raiders last year and played all except 23 snaps and they were 7-9 finishing third in the AFCW. Joe Flacco started eight, Drew Lock started five, Brandon Allen three and the Broncos were still 7-9 just ahead of the Raiders. Raiders' schedule is somewhat less difficult than Denver's with Browns and Colts instead of Titans and Steelers for the Broncos. Raiders make five road trips to the Eastern Time Zone in which they are 6-25 during the past ten seasons (Gruden is 1-4). I'm guessing the Raiders will be from 7-9 to 9-7 with their Denver games being crucial for division standing. The unknown factor for their season is the effect of moving to Vegas.

The Chargers have a decent coaching staff and a pretty good defense. Their O has some good weapons and a decent O-Line, but this will be the post Philip Rivers era. With no preseason games, one may reasonably assume Tyrod Taylor will start. When will Justin Herbert make his first start? He and Taylor are two different kinds of QBs. If Taylor starts 2020 and Herbert comes in later in the season, it will be a significant difference for the O. Chargers have a tough schedule. They could do better in 2020 without Rivers and still be under .500. Their defense will keep them in games and might even win a couple. It's a transition year, so one may reasonably expect them to be fourth in AFCW, below .500. Hard to be a division contender if can't win any division games.
    Last edited by samparnell; 09-02-2020, 11:46 AM. Reason: correction & addition
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• DevilSpawn
      versus you
      • Mar 2006

The Chiefs will still win the division because they're the best team in the division. Their offense will still be scary and will win some games on their own. The defense will be better than decent. I'll be interested to see how the lack of the KC home crowd, one of the best distractions in all sports, will impact their home advantage.

Chances are the Chargers won't be good this year unless they get stellar play from their QB. I like Tryod Taylor, but only because I know someone who knows someone who's close to him. Losing Derwin James is HUGE. Having Bosa will salve that a bit. On a side note, the Colts will make the playoffs under Rivers and they are officially my surprise pick to make it to the Conference Title Game. Not the Super Bowl though.

The Broncos and Raiders are two of the biggest unknowns in the NFL. Who is Drew Lock? What is Drew Lock? I'll do you one better... WHY is Drew Lock? His unknown trickles down to the Broncos fate. If he's the real deal, the Broncos are a double digit win team. Anything less produces an average team. But they will look exciting at times on both sides of the ball. An exciting mystery that's for sure.

As for the Raiders, their defense will surprise people as to how much better they are on that side of the ball, but in the end, it's all up to Derek Carr. A majority of Raider Nation wants him gone. I'm not one of them...yet. But this year is the final straw for my patience. And just like with Lock, and pretty much all QBs, Carr's success will make or break the Raiders. Josh Jacobs will be the best RB in the division IMO. Losing Tyrell Williams won't help, but if Bryan Edwards and/or Lynn Bowden Jr can step up, we may see the Raiders sneak in as a Wild Card. On defense, I hope to see what last year's first rounder Jonathan Abram can bring, and if Madd Maxx can repeat his rookie performance, and if Clelin Ferrell can be the all-around lineman he was drafted to be.

And you know you want you some Hunter Renfrow. Love that dude.

Chiefs: 11-12 wins
      Raiders: 7-9 wins
      Broncos: 7-9 wins
      Chargers: 5-6 wins

Chiefs: 11-5
      Raiders: 9-7
      Broncos: 8-8
      Chargers: 5-11
      Last edited by DevilSpawn; 09-05-2020, 04:02 PM.

Comment

• baphamet
        Family Trust Beer
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by arapaho View Post
        ok even tho this is a weird and unusual season that may or may not play out fully,
        lets give our usual smack predictions

chiefs, i think they will repeat as afc west champs although with a down year 11-5 and no repeat SB, i believe teams will start to figure out a game plan for mahomes and the offense and those teams with a good offense and stout defense that can execute the game plan have a chance to steal a game from the defending champs

broncos i believe will have a top five defense if we stay healthy and that defense combined with a greatly improved offense over the first 11 games of 2019. sutton and judge jeudy along with KJ in the slot will terrorize weaker DBs, fant and Albert O will start to emerge as the a top TE pair in the afc, and backed up by a up and coming QB and one of the best run games with two pro bowl rbs
        i believe the broncos will finish at 9-7 possibly 10-6

raiders will be the raiders and play great in some games, then look like crap in others, 8-8 to 9-7

and the chargers, without a bonified starting QB on the roster, they either play a career backup or a rookie, they went 5-11 with philip rivers...i dont see how they improve on that much without him, even as bad as he was at times...he still knew the offense, knew his players and could make any throw. so i will still put them at 6-10
        can't really argue with this, it's a fair assessment. the only advantage that tyrod has over Phil is he has traditionally protected the ball better than Phil and he's mobile. the chargers do have a vastly upgraded OL that can help but then again they lost their best player on defense for the year and if their defense is not elite without him I think 6 wins is about right or less.
        Last edited by baphamet; 09-02-2020, 03:20 PM.

Comment

• CanDB
          Football Immortal
          • Mar 2008

Lets see.......2019:

KC 12/4
          Den 7/9
          Oak 7/9
          LAC 5/11

I am going with KC to repeat. They are pretty much intact, signing some key players as well. They will miss Damien Williams but this young dude Edwards-Helaire is rated very highly to date. This team can outscore, and with a decent D, they are still going to be hard to beat.

I think 12 and 4 is quite possible.

I see The Broncos picking up a few wins, given that they went 4 and 1 to close the season, Lock has an offseason under his belt, and we made some really good acquisitions. There appear to be few real kinks in the armor, even their oft maligned Oline may be a nice surprise, given how much more talent we have around them. 10 and 6.

The Raiders made some solid acquisitions on D over the offseason, with some real emphasis on linebacking. Jacobs and Waller provide some solid O, (Ruggs III might be valuable) and given the Ds upgrades, I can see them at 8 and 8, 9 and 7 at best. It's up to Carr.

The Chargers had a poor season, and it is hard to translate with Taylor and a rookie at the helm. Losing James is also a huge impact. Minus Gordon is not as bad as one may think, given how good Ekeler did without him, BUT this team is a ways away, even with Ingram and Bosa. 7 and 9 at best.
          Last edited by CanDB; 09-02-2020, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• jazzbodog
            Football Immortal
            • Aug 2007

We should all return to this thread in late December / early January to see how everyone's predictions pan out.

Way too many unknowns, what if's, didn't see that, etc.

I believe it won't be as accurate as fans are thinking. Definitely going to be some odd, impossible to predict twists and turns in the win / loss stats in the AFC West.

It will be exciting and/or depressing to witness the "are you kidding me" games through the season.
            Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• CanDB
              Football Immortal
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post
              We should all return to this thread in late December / early January to see how everyone's predictions pan out.

Way too many unknowns, what if's, didn't see that, etc.

I believe it won't be as accurate as fans are thinking. Definitely going to be some odd, impossible to predict twists and turns in the win / loss stats in the AFC West.

It will be exciting and/or depressing to witness the "are you kidding me" games through the season.
              I of course do not predict injuries, which can alter any team's season, but the pandemic aspect adds another big unknown. Hopefully it will be of very little or no impact.

Comment

• Sam_Z
                Banned User
                • Dec 2004

Chiefs will post an 11-5 record since many teams will be gunning hard for them. I hate to see injuries but Kelce needs to be extra cautious when going against some of these dirty secondary defenders. Ala Tj Ward & Gronkowski.

Denver will post a 10-6 record or better. Defense will be very good and offense will put up enough points.

Las Vegas has a lot to prove but I see them posting a 7-9 or 8-8. I know they’re good and loaded with talent but that’s the best I can give them until I see otherwise.

LA oddly enough will compete for the number 2 spot in the division but will fall to Denver in the race and miss the playoffs. Tyrod will lose his job even though team posts a good record and Herbert will debut sometime around Christmas!

Comment

• baphamet
                  Family Trust Beer
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                  Chiefs will post an 11-5 record since many teams will be gunning hard for them. I hate to see injuries but Kelce needs to be extra cautious when going against some of these dirty secondary defenders. Ala Tj Ward & Gronkowski.

Denver will post a 10-6 record or better. Defense will be very good and offense will put up enough points.

Las Vegas has a lot to prove but I see them posting a 7-9 or 8-8. I know they’re good and loaded with talent but that’s the best I can give them until I see otherwise.

LA oddly enough will compete for the number 2 spot in the division but will fall to Denver in the race and miss the playoffs. Tyrod will lose his job even though team posts a good record and Herbert will debut sometime around Christmas!
                  you are more optimistic for the chargers than I am

Herbert's physical traits look absolutely amazing in camp. his arm talent, fundamentals, footwork, and his accuracy. but that's without anyone pressuring him. when he has gone against the 1's in 11 on 11's he has struggled. herbert needs to be redshirted this season because he needs live reps and a lot of them. the kid is smart so hopefully he can figure it out because if he can he's going to be good.

Comment

• baphamet
                    Family Trust Beer
                    • Nov 2006

what do you broncos fans think about your corner depth now that Yiadom is gone?

Comment

• baphamet
                      Family Trust Beer
                      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                      I of course do not predict injuries, which can alter any team's season, but the pandemic aspect adds another big unknown. Hopefully it will be of very little or no impact.
                      guys that are testing positive are coming back fairly quickly anyway. the main thing is to make sure there are no mass outbreaks on any given team.

Comment

• arapaho
                        reserved for losing bet
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
                        you are more optimistic for the chargers than I am

Herbert's physical traits look absolutely amazing in camp. his arm talent, fundamentals, footwork, and his accuracy. but that's without anyone pressuring him. when he has gone against the 1's in 11 on 11's he has struggled. herbert needs to be redshirted this season because he needs live reps and a lot of them. the kid is smart so hopefully he can figure it out because if he can he's going to be good.

well theres two angles to that

1. the idea you sit a rookie to learn rather than throwing a rook that isnt really ready out there, id say that depends on the mental make up of the qb, if they have it they will struggle but learn, if they dont they will crumble

2. throw them in the fire and let them learn on the job, you see what type of qb you have year one
                        sigpic

Comment

• arapaho
                          reserved for losing bet
                          • Mar 2004

yiadom was benched last year, and only got back on the field because of injury, and bausby looked solid until his injury, you have ojemudia who will be a contributor, harris and dawson and i think they see something in Bassey that made yiadom expendable as well

outside Bouye and Callahan, dawson and harris are 3rd year players that got time last year, fangio is ok with their development and of course ojemudia

the biggest point strongpoint to the backfield is with von, chubb and interior pass rusher casey putting the pressure on qbs so im thinking they will be ok
                          sigpic

Comment

• Sam_Z
                            Banned User
                            • Dec 2004

Fangio has had nothing but praise for Essang Bassey and Mike Klis said in a radio interview, that Bassey could start the season as the number 3 CB ahead of Bausby, D Harris, and Dawson.

That’s a huge statement right there, and Klis isn’t the type to make things up, if he’s saying this, he must heard something deeper from Fangio!

I’m pretty excited and the kid had a pretty good college career so there’s reason to be optimistic especially when receiving high praise from a 35 year plus defensive guru while being a rookie and no preseason. Lol
                            Last edited by Sam_Z; 09-03-2020, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• samparnell
                              Soy Capitan Meshpoint
                              • Nov 2007

Of the eight Corners in TC, it seems that the one Fangio considered least suitable for his defense was Isaac Yiadom. That leaves seven and six of them will most likely make the roster. Sounds like Duke Dawson will be odd man out. The depth will include two rookies, so we'll need to see how it plays out. With no public practices/scrimmages and no preseason games it is difficult for fans to get an idea of how the players look on the field.
                              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
                              X