another elway blunder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
    A backup quarterback who has starting experience.

You said this:

Driskel has experience, does Herbert?

If your gonna make the point having a back up with experience is important and your back up doesnt have experience, expect to be called out
    when your starter has very little experience, to begin with, you need a veteran back up. herbert is capable of backing up taylor, is driskal? or whatever the hell that scrubs name is?

ill always think its dumb to not have at least one veteran QB in your QB room, that's the message I'm sending.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
      How can it be a blunder to play your QB drafted 42nd overall, who many considered a 1st-round prospect, that went 4-1 [beat the Chargers] and then use the salary cap to improve the team around him instead of spending money on a backup QB?

If Lock were struggling with a bad supporting cast, you and NFL.com would be saying Elway paid good money for a backup veteran QB who's not on the the field instead of giving Lock better weapons and more help on defense.

Not to mention that a big-name veteran QB probably would not have been interested in going to Denver as a backup with Lock entrenched as the starter.

In previous years the Broncos tried the veteran route with Keenum and Flacco, obviously it did not work, so now they are investing in the young QB they drafted.

Jeff Driskel came off the bench with very few reps as a backup and threw 2 TDs against one of the top defenses. Your starting QB Tyrod Taylor could not score any TD against the Panthers. Perhaps Driskel might be better than people think.

This was THE season to put the eggs in Lock's basket and determine if he can be a franchise QB, if he can progress quickly. Sadly, we've confirmed he can't take care of his body when being tackled and keeps hitting the ground in awkward positions. Last year it was his thumb, this time it's his shoulder.

The only possible 'blunder' IMO was running Kubiak out of town to bring Scangarello and then firing Scangarello after one season even though they should have expected growing pains from a rookie OC. 2nd-year QB learning his second offense is not ideal, especially after making Paxton Lynch work with 3 different coordinators in 3 offseasons.
      lock isn't a veteran, he has very little experience himself and isnt proven (at least IMO). that's like the chargers having herbert and nobody behind him. how much did elway just spend on bortles? couldn't have been that much. bortles isn't a good QB but he has a good ammout of experience and he should have been in TC.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
        lock isn't a veteran, he has very little experience himself and isnt proven (at least IMO). that's like the chargers having herbert and nobody behind him. how much did elway just spend on bortles? couldn't have been that much. bortles isn't a good QB but he has a good ammout of experience and he should have been in TC.
        The Broncos were interested in Bortles last year, he chose the Rams to be coached by McVay. He does have experience, but does it really matter when it's this kind of experience:

All he does is stare at his receiver and throw without any anticipation with the defender ready to undercut the route. Drafted high, played in a lot of games, McVay is considered a good coach yet the Rams did not re-sign him to keep him as a backup.

Driskel was cheap, he has some talent and had only 8 starts but has been in the league since 2016 learning from Chip Kelly [who worked with Pat Shurmur], Bill Lazor and Darrell Bevell, so he's been around to work in the QB room as the backup. Plus, he fits the offense and still has some upside to become a better backup QB.

Cam Newton wanted a clear path to a starting job, Jameis Winston was interested in learning from Payton and Brees while having the chance to stay there and become the heir apparent, Andy Dalton only got released in April.

I'm glad the Broncos went all-in with Lock, he still has the talent worth developing but now we know we can't 100% count on him. That does not mean spending huge money on a veteran QB next offseason, but the Broncos will have to take a good look at top 2021 QBs in the draft and compare their grades to Lock's if they finish with one of the worst records which is possible.

The Covid-19 restrictions already hurt a team relying on a 2nd-year QB, and then the injury bug just hit too hard. As Andrew Mason mentioned, the Broncos have $43,031,439 of their cap on IR.
        sigpic

Comment

Broncos have had some pretty terrible luck with injuries this year so I could see you guys picking somewhat high. Maybe not 1 or 2 but possibly high enough to have the draft capital to pick move up to 1(Giants) for Lawrence or Fields in the top 3. I don’t think Elway is all in on Lock, not on a guy who he passed on twice & picked at 42. There’s a reason he fell that much. I don’t think he’ll be a bad player necessarily but just very average. Broncos with a great QB paired with those WR’s you have would be very scary.

Comment

The fact that John elway put all his eggs in the drew lock basket this season, a season with covid worries, is a bit of a blunder, is it not?

I posted a video ranking from NFL.com a couple of weeks ago that had the broncos QB situation ranked 31st in the NFL. that's just someone's opinion but that's obviously because the Broncos don't have a capable back up behind drew lock.

just some scrub named Jeff Driskel that when I googled him I found more info about him wearing a blue thong during a game than any info about his playing experience.
            Somebody has too much time on his hands. Well, you do live in Nebraska, so...
            sigpic
            Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
              Somebody has too much time on his hands. Well, you do live in Nebraska, so...
              says the guy that lives in Idaho
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderFanSD View Post
                Broncos have had some pretty terrible luck with injuries this year so I could see you guys picking somewhat high. Maybe not 1 or 2 but possibly high enough to have the draft capital to pick move up to 1(Giants) for Lawrence or Fields in the top 3. I don’t think Elway is all in on Lock, not on a guy who he passed on twice & picked at 42. There’s a reason he fell that much. I don’t think he’ll be a bad player necessarily but just very average. Broncos with a great QB paired with those WR’s you have would be very scary.
                if elway wasn't all in on lock, wouldn't he have brought in a veteran to at least back him up? not that it matters that much at this point. the broncos are decimated, the season is all but lost at this point for them.
                sigpic

Comment

says the guy that lives in Idaho
                  Touche.

But in all truth Idaho is one of the best outdoor recreational areas. It’s like Colorado without the crazy politicians.
                  sigpic
                  Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                    Touche.

But in all truth Idaho is one of the best outdoor recreational areas. It’s like Colorado without the crazy politicians.
                    yeah, I have never been there but I'm sure it is beautiful. If I want to see beauty here, I drive to colorado.
                    sigpic

Comment

The fact that John elway put all his eggs in the drew lock basket this season, a season with covid worries, is a bit of a blunder, is it not?

I posted a video ranking from NFL.com a couple of weeks ago that had the broncos QB situation ranked 31st in the NFL. that's just someone's opinion but that's obviously because the Broncos don't have a capable back up behind drew lock.

just some scrub named Jeff Driskel that when I googled him I found more info about him wearing a blue thong during a game than any info about his playing experience.
                      "To err is human; to forgive, divine." ~ Alexander Pope
                      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I'd say no. The plan is to see if the guy is who Elway thinks he can be or not. Can't do that by going into it thinking you're gonna pull him if he fails.

Now, I would like to have seen a better back up but Driskel actually played twice as well as I thought was possible so........ maybe Elway actually got a great deal
                        Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                          I'd say no. The plan is to see if the guy is who Elway thinks he can be or not. Can't do that by going into it thinking you're gonna pull him if he fails.

Now, I would like to have seen a better back up but Driskel actually played twice as well as I thought was possible so........ maybe Elway actually got a great deal
                          like I said in my OP, this season with covid concerns changes things a little bit. most teams want at least one veteran guy in the QB room, this season it's even more important IMO.

drew lock isn't a veteran and elway could have brought in a cheap guy like blake bortles into TC. sure, bortles isn't good but he has a good amount of experience and could have stepped in and started if lock got sick or injured. now, you guys are in a serious bind at QB.

but if this Driskel guy can hold the fort down and can win you guys some games with decent QB play, I will definitely admit elway knew what he was doing. we will see.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                            How can it be a blunder to play your QB drafted 42nd overall, who many considered a 1st-round prospect, that went 4-1 [beat the Chargers] and then use the salary cap to improve the team around him instead of spending money on a backup QB?

If Lock were struggling with a bad supporting cast, you and NFL.com would be saying Elway paid good money for a backup veteran QB who's not on the the field instead of giving Lock better weapons and more help on defense.

Not to mention that a big-name veteran QB probably would not have been interested in going to Denver as a backup with Lock entrenched as the starter.

In previous years the Broncos tried the veteran route with Keenum and Flacco, obviously it did not work, so now they are investing in the young QB they drafted.

Jeff Driskel came off the bench with very few reps as a backup and threw 2 TDs against one of the top defenses. Your starting QB Tyrod Taylor could not score any TD against the Panthers. Perhaps Driskel might be better than people think.

This was THE season to put the eggs in Lock's basket and determine if he can be a franchise QB, if he can progress quickly. Sadly, we've confirmed he can't take care of his body when being tackled and keeps hitting the ground in awkward positions. Last year it was his thumb, this time it's his shoulder.

The only possible 'blunder' IMO was running Kubiak out of town to bring Scangarello and then firing Scangarello after one season even though they should have expected growing pains from a rookie OC. 2nd-year QB learning his second offense is not ideal, especially after making Paxton Lynch work with 3 different coordinators in 3 offseasons.
                            How is a oline being garbage = he not keeping care of his body. The oline has been trash letting him get hit alot. When a qb gets hit he is likely to get injuries
                            sigpic
                            oakland raders gm
                            latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                              How is a oline being garbage = he not keeping care of his body. The oline has been trash letting him get hit alot. When a qb gets hit he is likely to get injuries
                              Both of his injuries happened when he rolled out of the pocket to extend plays and fell awkwardly. Had plenty of time to get rid of the ball.
                              sigpic

Comment

If only the Chargers would have had a veteran backup QBs they might have won today lol!!!!!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X