Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rivers retires

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rivers retires

    Former Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers announced his retirement from the NFL on Wednesday, telling Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune that “it’s just time.”

    Rivers spent 16 years with the Chargers, including 14 as the starting quarterback. He amassed 59,271 passing yards and 397 touchdown passes during his time with the Chargers, ranking first in franchise history in both categories. He had a record of 123-101 with the Chargers, making the playoffs six times and going 5-6 in 11 postseason games.

    In his final NFL season, Rivers led the Colts to an 11-5 record with 24 touchdown passes and 11 interceptions. He threw for 4,169 yards, the eighth straight season he topped 4,000 yards through the air.

    Rivers will embark on a new journey in his post-playing days. He’ll take over as the head coach of the St. Michael Catholic High School football team in Fairhope, Ala., a move that was announced last May.

    “What has helped me come to this (decision) is the growing desire to coach high school football,” he told Acee. “That’s what I’ve always wanted to do. It’s been growing. I can’t wait.”

    Rivers made the Pro Bowl eight times, won Offensive Player of the Month four times, has the fifth-most passing yards in NFL history (63,440) and ranks fifth in career touchdown passes (421). Despite never winning a Super Bowl, he boasts a Hall of Fame resume after being the fourth overall pick in the 2004 draft and getting traded from the Giants to the Chargers.



    man i couldnt stand the arrogant sucker, but dude was a baller, end of an era. Hats off to you Rivers, great career
    sigpic
    when do native Americans become human and not mascots

  • #2
    Originally posted by arapaho View Post
    Former Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers announced his retirement from the NFL on Wednesday, telling Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune that “it’s just time.”

    Rivers spent 16 years with the Chargers, including 14 as the starting quarterback. He amassed 59,271 passing yards and 397 touchdown passes during his time with the Chargers, ranking first in franchise history in both categories. He had a record of 123-101 with the Chargers, making the playoffs six times and going 5-6 in 11 postseason games.

    In his final NFL season, Rivers led the Colts to an 11-5 record with 24 touchdown passes and 11 interceptions. He threw for 4,169 yards, the eighth straight season he topped 4,000 yards through the air.

    Rivers will embark on a new journey in his post-playing days. He’ll take over as the head coach of the St. Michael Catholic High School football team in Fairhope, Ala., a move that was announced last May.

    “What has helped me come to this (decision) is the growing desire to coach high school football,” he told Acee. “That’s what I’ve always wanted to do. It’s been growing. I can’t wait.”

    Rivers made the Pro Bowl eight times, won Offensive Player of the Month four times, has the fifth-most passing yards in NFL history (63,440) and ranks fifth in career touchdown passes (421). Despite never winning a Super Bowl, he boasts a Hall of Fame resume after being the fourth overall pick in the 2004 draft and getting traded from the Giants to the Chargers.



    man i couldnt stand the arrogant sucker, but dude was a baller, end of an era. Hats off to you Rivers, great career
    Yep. Hated the team he played for. Thought he was goofy at times. But he was always a stand up kind of person and was always competitive.

    Good luck to him on his new venture.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm not going to make a long-winded post about phil, you all already know.......



      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Happy trails, Phyllis!
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5


          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by baphamet View Post

            "dadgummit"

            That is such a Rivers thing to say. It's like Barney Fife playing football.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Rastic View Post

              "dadgummit"

              That is such a Rivers thing to say. It's like Barney Fife playing football.
              Part of why I like him. He's a good guy.
              Administrator
              sigpic

              #LupusAwareness

              #TackleCancer - Adopted Bronco: Phillip Lindsay

              "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

              Comment


              • #8
                Bummer the NFL lost another marquee player in Rivers' retirement.
                Have a great retirement Philip!

                The upcoming Brady vs. Rodgers NFC Championship Game has become even more special now.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Poor guy realized he was never getting to the super bowl in this lifetime, even on a good team.

                  We should see GB vs KC in the super bowl but the league is going to aid wonder boy Brady all the way there just so we could see Mahomes vs Brady instead a real match up of Mahomes vs Rodgers
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                    Poor guy realized he was never getting to the super bowl in this lifetime, even on a good team.

                    We should see GB vs KC in the super bowl but the league is going to aid wonder boy Brady all the way there just so we could see Mahomes vs Brady instead a real match up of Mahomes vs Rodgers
                    Although I'm rooting for Josh Allen because we're from the same area in CA,
                    Mahomes vs. Rodgers would be a thrilling super bowl game!

                    Allen vs. Rodgers, make it happen Mr. Goodell.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Best Rivers moment

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Having a hard time uploading the link
                        But anyways- it was the "90 yard touchdown!" clip. Such a great micd up moment for both those guys.

                        Sad to see him go, he was a great villain to us.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mozzerpete View Post

                          Although I'm rooting for Josh Allen because we're from the same area in CA,
                          Mahomes vs. Rodgers would be a thrilling super bowl game!

                          Allen vs. Rodgers, make it happen Mr. Goodell.
                          Yellow flags and purposely missed calls will aid Brady as always
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Going to miss Rivers. Great rival, even better person.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X