X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58Miller
    replied
    Originally posted by baphamet View Post

I knew this was the type of ignorant response I would get, you are so predictable. rather than actually debate me you decide to put words in my mouth. me saying the chargers defense is being rebuilt and slightly better on paper than the broncos defense is not me saying they are the 85 bears and I never said the Denver defense would take a step back, although they could due to the coaching change.

IMO the broncos should be a really good team, they may end up winning the division. but when I look at the rosters, I see a slight advantage for the chargers.

The difference between us is, I am going off what I know. I know Denver had the better defense last year the Chargers had the better offense. I havent said Denver will have a top offense, you are pounding your chest after your team added a former DPOY in Mack who missed 11 games last year and JC Jackson who got torched by Josh Allen and Diggs in the playoffs, not to mention he benefited by playing in Bellichecks system.
    Your giving Austin Johnson and Sebastian Day way to much credit in my opinion but hey we can revisit and see who is right and who is wrong when they actually step foot on the field.

Leave a comment:

• baphamet
    replied
    https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-power-r...he-2023-season

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...XT6VJ#image=32

https://nypost.com/2022/05/29/the-po...afc-dominates/

https://fansided.com/betsided/posts/...-eagles-rising

these are just opinions and we have seen the chargers be pre-season favorites before. but this year is different than all others in terms of building a team to compete for a SB. ive said before that if the defense isn't top 10 in all major categories then it's a failure. I also see the offense top 5 easily but probably top 3.

this is Herbert's first year since HS that he's been in the same offensive system two years in a row. they were a top 4 offense last year, they will be even better this year IMO.

Leave a comment:

• baphamet
    replied
    Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
    Chargers defense will be the 85 bears, Denver on the other hand made your QB look like a back up will take a step back despite upgrades on the DLine, edge, and linebacker. Oh and their QB wont have a chance against your defense, Got it!!!! ??
    I knew this was the type of ignorant response I would get, you are so predictable. rather than actually debate me you decide to put words in my mouth. me saying the chargers defense is being rebuilt and slightly better on paper than the broncos defense is not me saying they are the 85 bears and I never said the Denver defense would take a step back, although they could due to the coaching change.

IMO the broncos should be a really good team, they may end up winning the division. but when I look at the rosters, I see a slight advantage for the chargers.

Last edited by baphamet; 06-02-2022, 03:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• baphamet
    replied
    Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
    It does suck a little that the Chargers went offensive line in the 1st and went with a more sure thing than Penning. I thought it was a better pick than the receivers or corners on the board. That said, I'm at least glad they didn't get Jordan Davis. The other pick that bothers me was the Spiller pick. Their running game is significantly improved from last year. They kind of got a discount, I think, on Salyer. I guess they'll give him a go at RT. Could end up being a great pick as well. If Horvath makes the team as a special teamer, he's going to wind up being a situational player, and a problem on their offense. His ability as a receiver and short yardage runner would enhance LA's red zone offense. Then, of course you've got the big splurge in FA and the trade.

A lot of people see LA as paper champs in the West. I get that. I think Herbert's going to be a better QB than Rivers, and he's ascending. That Raiders game last year was one of the 3 or 4 best games I saw a QB play all season (the rest were probably Josh Allen). He still lost to Derek Carr and the luck pirates, because Chargers gotta Charger. I won't sleep on them this year. I won't pretend that Josh McDaniels isn't one of the best offensive minds in the league either. He has the best compliment of weapons he's had at his disposal since Randy Moss. His QB might be David Carr's little brother, but I won't fool myself here and pretend he's not a good QB. He's more than good enough to win this division with the team LV has assembled.

I'm not going to talk about the Chiefs, because screw the Chiefs. Don't know how this is going to play out, but I know one thing for damn. Denver is where legends go to win SBs. It's a force of nature. Maybe not this year or the next, but it's written. Maktub.
    you have done your homework. Salyer might be in the mix at RT but I view him as a depth piece at the moment. I also view him more as a guard but he will get his chance in TC for sure. I think pipkins, the busted LT, will have a good chance to secure that position. he played really well down the stretch last season. I'm hopeful he's turned the corner and can become a decent RT for us.

I think spiller is going to be in line for their RB2 and short yardage role. he was also very dependable catching balls out of the backfield in college. we will see though, he doesn't have a lot of competition there so that's pretty much his job to lose.

yeah, Horvath is going to need to be good on ST's and clearly beat out Gabe Nabers for the FB position to make the team IMO. nabers is herbert's best friend on the team and roommate, relationships are a big part of the culture Brandon Staley is implementing. but nabers is a nonfactor on ST's.

I'm pulling for Horvath though, he looks the part, that's for sure.

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied

see the underlined? It's funny when you talk about the chargers it's how they were last year but when talking about the broncos it's the additions they made to be even better this year.

I've been trying to tell you all off-season that the charger's defense has been rebuilt from the bottom up. the front 7 alone only has 2 starters returning. also, most of the additions have been in this system who Staley already knows and has coached before.

the chargers were beaten up in the secondary last year, even though some players were not good as well. Asante Samuel was good when he didn't have a concussion, nas adderly was decent, even though he dropped a lot of int's

I don't think you understand what the additions to the secondary does for Brandon staleys defense. it doesn't just add depth and talent, that depth allows Staley to use derwin james the way he wants. He's literally building the defense around Derwin James like a team would build around a QB.

this allows derwin to play all over the field and close to the LOS often (his strength and what made him all pro his rookie season). this means that QB's on passing downs will not only have to account for bosa and mack, but also derwin james at the LOS. That's a sight that no QB wants to see.

but keep talking about things you don't understand, keep talking about last year as if that's the defense you're going to be facing this year. you will find out soon enough.
    Chargers defense will be the 85 bears, Denver on the other hand made your QB look like a back up will take a step back despite upgrades on the DLine, edge, and linebacker. Oh and their QB wont have a chance against your defense, Got it!!!! ??

Leave a comment:

• Spice 1
    replied
    It does suck a little that the Chargers went offensive line in the 1st and went with a more sure thing than Penning. I thought it was a better pick than the receivers or corners on the board. That said, I'm at least glad they didn't get Jordan Davis. The other pick that bothers me was the Spiller pick. Their running game is significantly improved from last year. They kind of got a discount, I think, on Salyer. I guess they'll give him a go at RT. Could end up being a great pick as well. If Horvath makes the team as a special teamer, he's going to wind up being a situational player, and a problem on their offense. His ability as a receiver and short yardage runner would enhance LA's red zone offense. Then, of course you've got the big splurge in FA and the trade.

A lot of people see LA as paper champs in the West. I get that. I think Herbert's going to be a better QB than Rivers, and he's ascending. That Raiders game last year was one of the 3 or 4 best games I saw a QB play all season (the rest were probably Josh Allen). He still lost to Derek Carr and the luck pirates, because Chargers gotta Charger. I won't sleep on them this year. I won't pretend that Josh McDaniels isn't one of the best offensive minds in the league either. He has the best compliment of weapons he's had at his disposal since Randy Moss. His QB might be David Carr's little brother, but I won't fool myself here and pretend he's not a good QB. He's more than good enough to win this division with the team LV has assembled.

I'm not going to talk about the Chiefs, because screw the Chiefs. Don't know how this is going to play out, but I know one thing for damn. Denver is where legends go to win SBs. It's a force of nature. Maybe not this year or the next, but it's written. Maktub.

Leave a comment:

• baphamet
    replied
    Simmons and Surtain would walk into the Chargers locker room and take starting jobs immediately just like JC Jackson will do because the Chargers secondary was not very good last year besides Derwin James who is a great player. Kwaun Williams would compete and possibly take fhe slot job. Denver chose him over resigning Callahan. We seen Chris Harris go to the bolts and never regain the greaf play he did as a bronco.

Last season Denver with a very weak pass rush still statistically was better vs the pass than the bolts and now they will have a healthy Bradley Chubb, Randy Gregory, and Nik Bonito all upgrades in getting after the QB.

see the underlined? It's funny when you talk about the chargers it's how they were last year but when talking about the broncos it's the additions they made to be even better this year.

I've been trying to tell you all off-season that the charger's defense has been rebuilt from the bottom up. the front 7 alone only has 2 starters returning. also, most of the additions have been in this system who Staley already knows and has coached before.

the chargers were beaten up in the secondary last year, even though some players were not good as well. Asante Samuel was good when he didn't have a concussion, nas adderly was decent, even though he dropped a lot of int's

I don't think you understand what the additions to the secondary does for Brandon staleys defense. it doesn't just add depth and talent, that depth allows Staley to use derwin james the way he wants. He's literally building the defense around Derwin James like a team would build around a QB.

this allows derwin to play all over the field and close to the LOS often (his strength and what made him all pro his rookie season). this means that QB's on passing downs will not only have to account for bosa and mack, but also derwin james at the LOS. That's a sight that no QB wants to see.

but keep talking about things you don't understand, keep talking about last year as if that's the defense you're going to be facing this year. you will find out soon enough.

Leave a comment:

• baphamet
    replied
    Originally posted by beemerboy View Post

Where you've been in life often is a predictor of where you'll go in the future hence my comment. I think it's called "culture" and the Chargers are lacking.
    "Where you've been in life often is a predictor of where you'll go in the future" says who?

you might want to go talk to the patriots, saints, bucks, and seahawks about that. oh and every single person in real life who came from nothing and became a sucsess story.

besides, the chargers have indeed changed their culture. It starts with bradon staley but it also is telling about the moves they have made this off-season, something they just don't do and have not done in the 40 years ive been a fan.

you will see.

Leave a comment:

• beemerboy
    replied

nice one bro, never heard that one before!

if only past super bowls could help you win future games as well? If it did, the broncos would have made the playoffs in the last 6 tries since winning their last one.
    Where you've been in life often is a predictor of where you'll go in the future hence my comment. I think it's called "culture" and the Chargers are lacking.

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied

jackson/samuel jr/callahan/davis

all those dudes have been starters and have played at a high level. Davis, who is likely CB4 of the group, was CB1 heading into last year's TC. not to mention the ballhawk safety they drafted, nas, another ball hawk. the charger's secondary is the strongest position group on the team. QB's are going to have to be really careful with the football throwing it against that secondary.

no, the Broncos do not have a comparable secondary (still pretty good though). they have two very good players but they are nowhere near as deep as the chargers.

maybe but thats the leats important position group in staleys defense. they will be playing a lot of 5 man fronts with 4 DL and one ILB. the other guy next to him a lot of times will be derwin james. you will have joey bosa, khlil mack, and derwin james near the LOS A LOT and that has to be a scary sight for any QB.

you only laugh because you judge johnson based on the giant's TEAM defense, not his individual play, which is really dumb. then you credited SJD's success to playing with Donald yet somehow ignore the fact he will be playing next to bosa and mack. not to mention the fact that SJD has his best season under Staley.

i'll give you the interior DL since you conveniently take the edge out of the equation. however, the charger's front 7 as a whole, especially when you consider derwin will be a part of that quite a bit, is better IMO
    DJ and Dremont Jones would both start on your team! DJ Jones is a better run stopper than SJD & Johnson. Dremont is a better pass rusher than any of your interior guys. That is why the Broncos line is the better group.

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied

all those dudes have been starters and have played at a high level. Davis, who is likely CB4 of the group, was CB1 heading into last year's TC. not to mention the ballhawk safety they drafted, nas, another ball hawk. the charger's secondary is the strongest position group on the team. QB's are going to have to be really careful with the football throwing it against that secondary.

no, the Broncos do not have a comparable secondary (still pretty good though). they have two very good players but they are nowhere near as deep as the chargers.

maybe but thats the leats important position group in staleys defense. they will be playing a lot of 5 man fronts with 4 DL and one ILB. the other guy next to him a lot of times will be derwin james. you will have joey bosa, khlil mack, and derwin james near the LOS A LOT and that has to be a scary sight for any QB.

you only laugh because you judge johnson based on the giant's TEAM defense, not his individual play, which is really dumb. then you credited SJD's success to playing with Donald yet somehow ignore the fact he will be playing next to bosa and mack. not to mention the fact that SJD has his best season under Staley.

i'll give you the interior DL since you conveniently take the edge out of the equation. however, the charger's front 7 as a whole, especially when you consider derwin will be a part of that quite a bit, is better IMO
    Simmons and Surtain would walk into the Chargers locker room and take starting jobs immediately just like JC Jackson will do because the Chargers secondary was not very good last year besides Derwin James who is a great player. Kwaun Williams would compete and possibly take fhe slot job. Denver chose him over resigning Callahan. We seen Chris Harris go to the bolts and never regain the greaf play he did as a bronco.

Last season Denver with a very weak pass rush still statistically was better vs the pass than the bolts and now they will have a healthy Bradley Chubb, Randy Gregory, and Nik Bonito all upgrades in getting after the QB.
    Last edited by 58Miller; 05-30-2022, 09:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• baphamet
    replied
    Broncos vs Chargers Roster breakdowns:
    Defense: Denver

Secondary: Even
    Broncos have the best Free Safety, the Chargers have the best Strong Safety. The Chargers have the best overall corner in Jackson but Denver has the better starting duo in Darby & Surtain. Denver moved on from Chargers new slot corner Bryce Callahan for a more durable and more physical player in Kawaun Williams. Denver's secondary has proven had good they Chargers have the potential to be better. I will call it even going into 2022.

Linebackers: Broncos
    Alex Singelton and Josey Jewell are better than Murray and Tranquill. I would argue broncos back ups Griffith and Browning are also better. And. This area of the chargers defense is where the Broncos will expose them in the run game and tight end and running back mismatches.

Defensive Line: Broncos
    I had to laugh when I heard how great Sebastian Joseph-Day and Austin Johnson are vs the run. DJ Jones was a better addition than both of them and he went to the Broncos. The Broncos already have Mike Purcell and Deshawn Williams all proven run stoppers. As far as getting after the QB from inside Dremont Jones has proven to be a better player than Jerry Tillery. The Broncos and Chargers have both added depth but DJ & Dremont Jones give the Broncos the clear win in this area.

Leave a comment:

• baphamet
    replied
    Originally posted by beemerboy View Post

That's a lotta smack talkin' from a Bolt fan. How many of these do the Chargers have?
    nice one bro, never heard that one before!

if only past super bowls could help you win future games as well? If it did, the broncos would have made the playoffs in the last 6 tries since winning their last one.

Leave a comment:

• beemerboy
    replied
    not as good as the chargers though!

IMO the chargers have the best roster in the division and arguably in the NFL......yes I said it. there is no unit on this team that isn't strong. maybe running back could be argued isn't deep but they did just draft a kid that could be decent. the chargers are also deeper now at multiple positions than they were before.

this is the best offseason in chargers history, they really are all in on winning a SB

this is not me saying they will for sure win the division, chargers always seem to charger after all! but talent-wise, no team in the division stacks up. (although it is still close)

let us see how the "herbert cant get to the playoffs after only his second season" narrative holds up this time when he actually has help in the other two phases of the game with a much-improved roster across the board.

AFC west fans right now looking at the chargers......

Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif?cid=790b7611c61c6398ef646e562954148da2dd4f4d8fb210ff&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g.gif
Views:	403
Size:	3.34 MB
ID:	8415917
    That's a lotta smack talkin' from a Bolt fan. How many of these do the Chargers have?

Leave a comment:

• Mainrnxile
    replied
    Kudos to RW for showing up at OTA’s. Normally that shouldn’t be a basis for recognition, but apparently some NFL QB’s no longer embrace leadership responsibilities.

Related note, I just saw Justin Herbert on ESPN - he looks down right pretty….

Leave a comment:

Working...
X