Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 character minimum question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 10 character minimum question

    what is the purpose?

    not that it matters either way really but when i, or most others, make a post that is less than 10 characters they just add symbols or whatever to make the post 10 characters long

    is there some other reason for 10 as the number as opposed to, say, 4...just wondering

  • #2
    Originally posted by Apoc13 View Post
    what is the purpose?
    Prevent spam.

    not that it matters either way really but when i, or most others, make a post that is less than 10 characters they just add symbols or whatever to make the post 10 characters long

    is there some other reason for 10 as the number as opposed to, say, 4...just wondering
    It comes that way by default and we've never had a reason to change it. Give us some time to look into it more and we'll let you know if there's a better reason than "this is how it came out of the box."

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Alastor View Post
      Prevent spam.



      It comes that way by default and we've never had a reason to change it. Give us some time to look into it more and we'll let you know if there's a better reason than "this is how it came out of the box."
      That's the exact reason...it's the same reason you have to wait 30 seconds between posting and 60 seconds between sending a PM.

      Makes it harder to just spam the boards with useless posts.

      It takes VERY little effort to type in ...... at the end of a post anyway, so it's not a big deal. Annoying sometimes? Yes, but not a big deal
      Administrator

      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Apoc13 View Post
        what is the purpose?

        not that it matters either way really but when i, or most others, make a post that is less than 10 characters they just add symbols or whatever to make the post 10 characters long

        is there some other reason for 10 as the number as opposed to, say, 4...just wondering
        Lowering the limit is good and bad. Both basically the same. The people that like it like it because they can simply post a or or ditto.

        The people that hate it are the ones that hate those simple posts, rather than having someone post something of substance.
        The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tnedator View Post
          Lowering the limit is good and bad. Both basically the same. The people that like it like it because they can simply post a or or ditto.

          The people that hate it are the ones that hate those simple posts, rather than having someone post something of substance.
          What would you know about small posts?

          Thanks, Reid!
          sigpic
          Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

          Comment


          • #6
            I wish we could have more smileys in posts. I love me some smileys.
            sigpic

            I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
            SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

            Comment


            • #7
              I tend to be pretty wordy. I still once in a while like to leave short posts.

              We have a lot we're working on right now, but we'll add this to the list.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                What would you know about small posts?

                I'm working on this 'small post concept'. My original reply to this thread was 1478 words. I explained the history of character limits on the Internet. The constitutional implications of said character limits. The social and moral implications of character limits. I drew a parallel between character and term limits. I had a case for why a short smiley is more appropriate than a short word. I then segued into the difficulties of the short man in modern society....

                In the end, in the spirit of short posts, I simply gave that puny three sentence post with a few smilies in it.

                I'm learning, short isn't always bad...


                The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                  What would you know about small posts?

                  Originally posted by tnedator View Post
                  I'm working on this 'small post concept'. My original reply to this thread was 1478 words. I explained the history of character limits on the Internet. The constitutional implications of said character limits. The social and moral implications of character limits. I drew a parallel between character and term limits. I had a case for why a short smiley is more appropriate than a short word. I then segued into the difficulties of the short man in modern society....

                  In the end, in the spirit of short posts, I simply gave that puny three sentence post with a few smilies in it.

                  I'm learning, short isn't always bad...


                  I was going to suggest a maximum character limit for some folks.
                  :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
                    I was going to suggest a maximum character limit for some folks.
                    We have one. I think it's 10,000 characters.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                      We have one. I think it's 10,000 characters.
                      We certainly have enough characters around here.
                      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
                        We certainly have enough characters around here.
                        I think I'm #8246 or something like that.
                        Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
                        FF is awesome!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by tnedator View Post
                          Lowering the limit is good and bad. Both basically the same. The people that like it like it because they can simply post a or or ditto.

                          The people that hate it are the ones that hate those simple posts, rather than having someone post something of substance.
                          my point is, who does that stop from doing that? i still post just a smiley when i want to...i just add a bunch of periods after the smiley...like i said, it's not a big deal either way...i was just curious

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The mods have enough on their plates right now - I promise. So I'm kind of apprehensive for that reason. The last thing they need is something else to fight with people about (spamming smileys or one word posts).

                            The mods here are tough, and they care about the community and the people they're dealing with... I'm kind of apprehensive about the added tension it might cause for them. Seriously, I'm baffled at how hard the mods work on here and how much care they put into what they do.

                            I don't want to do something that's going to add to that.

                            Thoughts?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                              The mods have enough on their plates right now - I promise. So I'm kind of apprehensive for that reason. The last thing they need is something else to fight with people about (spamming smileys or one word posts).

                              The mods here are tough, and they care about the community and the people they're dealing with... I'm kind of apprehensive about the added tension it might cause for them. Seriously, I'm baffled at how hard the mods work on here and how much care they put into what they do.

                              I don't want to do something that's going to add to that.

                              Thoughts?
                              Can I have a raise?

                              Keep it at 10 character...PLEASE!
                              sigpic
                              Adopted by: Peanut

                              "You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
                              -Sean Payton

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X