**** Butkus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
    When the Cubs signed Kosuke ***udome in 2007, the last name caused all kinds of problems for months with filters etc.

See!...His name really is Kosuke Fu.kudome.
    There's a few Japanese names/words that the filter doesn't like. First noticed it when I PMed someone and it came out with **. Thought it was funny.
    Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
      Nothing will ever be funnier than when the filter started filtering the middle of 'Atwater' out of nowhere.

That is hilarious!!
      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

you could write it like this:
        Eric D i c k e r s o n or D i c k Butkus
        sigpic

Comment

Don't Forget about Angie ****enson, Andy ****, The King of the surf Guitar **** Dale.

So I could list more I googled "famous ****s"... I still can't go back to that Starbucks.
          Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Red-Falcon View Post
            you could write it like this:
            Eric D i c k e r s o n or D i c k Butkus
            Or like this... ĐįсҚ Butkus.

But really... It's okay to do what Red-Falcon did, right mods? Yes, it's skirting the filter, but the intention is clearly vulgar-free.

Funny... There's a fairly well-known and well-respected local gentleman with the name of Richard ĐįсҚ. No joke.
            Winter is Coming!

Comment

I think the software picks up on certain consonants and the order in which they are typed. For example, the below link is a vbulletin MB that does not filter the name.

http://nakonwood.websitetoolbox.com/...7#post33387637

Yet the above MB does filter certain inappropriate words, but not all of them.
              Originally posted by BroncoFaninMD View Post
              There's a few Japanese names/words that the filter doesn't like. First noticed it when I PMed someone and it came out with **. Thought it was funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
                Or like this... ĐįсҚ Butkus.

But really... It's okay to do what Red-Falcon did, right mods? Yes, it's skirting the filter, but the intention is clearly vulgar-free.
                Yes. There's a certain common sense/danger factor to any social environment, and that's what a message board is.

If one has no common sense, they are in danger.

I think that in this thread which is specifically about the filter and an unintended consequence of it that a certain amount of human nature is expected. When it's done without going too far over the top it's not an issue.

It hasn't been an issue in this thread so far. I don't see why that would change.

Originally posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
                I think the software picks up on certain consonants and the order in which they are typed. For example, the below link is a vbulletin MB that does not filter the name.
                The filter can be set up any number of different ways. It can pull letter sequences out of a word, word sequences out of a sentence, only mark out the offensive portion, mark out the entire sentence, etc.

It has a lot of options and is pretty customizable. It can do it pretty much however we would reasonably want it to.

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                  Yes. There's a certain common sense/danger factor to any social environment, and that's what a message board is.

If one has no common sense, they are in danger.

I think that in this thread which is specifically about the filter and an unintended consequence of it that a certain amount of human nature is expected. When it's done without going too far over the top it's not an issue.

It hasn't been an issue in this thread so far. I don't see why that would change.

The filter can be set up any number of different ways. It can pull letter sequences out of a word, word sequences out of a sentence, only mark out the offensive portion, mark out the entire sentence, etc.

It has a lot of options and is pretty customizable. It can do it pretty much however we would reasonably want it to.
                  So then the question is this: Could you set it up so that words like D*ck would not be filtered if a proper noun followed them? Or is that a little too much to ask
                  Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RunYouOver View Post
                    So then the question is this: Could you set it up so that words like D*ck would not be filtered if a proper noun followed them? Or is that a little too much to ask
                    Well, since my firefox still thinks I'm misspelling anything I use as a possessive (with the apostrophe) or anything that's a contraction at all... hey... it's not doing it now.

There goes that argument.

But yeah... it's a bit much to expect vBulletin to recognize proper nouns.
                    Thanks, Reid!
                    sigpic
                    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Working...
                    X