Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey mods

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by LarryDean View Post
    The best person I ever dated use to say....

    Using curse words shows a lack of intelligence because you cant come up with a better word to describe how you feel or express what you think ....It stuck with me ... But as all can plainly see on here....I didnt get any smarter
    A study conducted by Harvard would say the best person you ever dated is wrong.

    On average, the most prolific cussers actually score higher on intelligence tests, and tests of almost every type.

    They tend to be more creative and expressive, more socially aware, and more passionate about topics. They do it for the social response - shock value.

    Shock value when examined closely is used by people who keenly understand social interaction - human beings. Either individually or on a group basis, they understand those dynamics. These are not simple things. These are very complex things that require a great deal of intellect, empathy and understanding to properly navigate.

    People that cuss a lot and seek the shock of their statement not only understand those dynamics, but they're actually controlling them by use of their vocabulary.

    This was the essence of the study conducted on cussing and intelligence.

    I've heard a lot of people say that cussing is a sign of low intelligence and a low vocabulary. In reality however, it's quite the opposite. People that cuss a lot really do tend to be smarter.

    I can find the study if you like. Just a tid-bit.


    It's kind of like the kid in school that's always in trouble usually turns out to be the most successful after high school. Know why? They're the most curious, they're the most adventurous, and yes, they're the smartest. I interact with kids on a daily basis - lots of them. The biggest pains in the butt and the universally most obnoxious are 100% of the time, the absolute smartest (those with disorders that cause such outbursts aside).

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Alastor View Post
      A study conducted by Harvard would say the best person you ever dated is wrong.

      I've heard a lot of people say that cussing is a sign of low intelligence and a low vocabulary. In reality however, it's quite the opposite. People that cuss a lot really do tend to be smarter.
      Well then I'm pure brillance and because Harvard did a study on it it's a fact



      :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by LarryDean View Post
        Well then I'm pure brillance and because Harvard did a study on it it's a fact



        To my knowledge, it's the only such scientific study ever conducted on such things. And yeah, Harvard is pretty well-respected. In light of the absence of contrary evidence... I think "fact" is a pretty strong word to use, but I accept it as reality until shown otherwise.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Alastor View Post
          To my knowledge, it's the only such scientific study ever conducted on such things. And yeah, Harvard is pretty well-respected. In light of the absence of contrary evidence... I think "fact" is a pretty strong word to use, but I accept it as reality until shown otherwise.
          Something had to be flawed about that study ... Could you imagine trying to sell a buisness idea to a group of investors using curse words ....Giving a presentation on nuclear physics saying "This is what the bleep this is" ....No one would buy into what you was selling because why seemingly you would not know what your talking about thus looking and sounded dumb ....


          I take that back .... Telling someone ..... This stuff right here is the Bleep ... You need this Bleep right here

          Is the best sell line ever ...
          Last edited by LarryDean; 07-08-2009, 03:39 PM.
          :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by LarryDean View Post
            Something had to be flawed about that study ... Could you imagine trying to sell a buisness idea to a group of investors using curse words ....
            I didn't say it was accepted in all environments. It's also not a good idea to discuss your past relationships in front of your girlfriend's mother. Refraining from such conversations doesn't mean you don't have those conversations or aren't capable of having those conversations in other environments.

            I said the study found a link to people that cuss more being more intelligent.

            We do a lot of things in social circumstances due to "custom" that aren't particularly intelligent.

            For many years not being part of certain groups wasn't acceptable at higher levels either, but that wasn't particularly intelligent. Social rules are social rules. We obey them generally speaking, even if they don't make sense (and many of our social rules don't).

            I'm not saying those who can't control their cussing are more intelligent. That's not what the study said either.

            It simply said that those who are more prone to use profanity tend to be more intelligent. That doesn't mean they ignore the social laws our society has and run around like wild animals cussing up the board room.

            I never cuss on this site. Neither do most people. Get me alone sometime though and in a situation that's not business related or a professional environment. See what my vocabulary turns into when left to my own devices.

            One who cusses a lot doesn't mean they cuss all the time and uncontrollably. That's a disease. It's called Tourette Syndrome.

            We're talking about otherwise normal people here, who have a greater propensity to cuss. That's all.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Alastor View Post
              I didn't say it was accepted in all environments. It's also not a good idea to discuss your past relationships in front of your girlfriend's mother. Refraining from such conversations doesn't mean you don't have those conversations or aren't capable of having those conversations in other environments.

              I said the study found a link to people that cuss more being more intelligent.

              We do a lot of things in social circumstances due to "custom" that aren't particularly intelligent.

              For many years not being part of certain groups wasn't acceptable at higher levels either, but that wasn't particularly intelligent. Social rules are social rules. We obey them generally speaking, even if they don't make sense (and many of our social rules don't).

              I'm not saying those who can't control their cussing are more intelligent. That's not what the study said either.

              It simply said that those who are more prone to use profanity tend to be more intelligent. That doesn't mean they ignore the social laws our society has and run around like wild animals cussing up the board room.

              I never cuss on this site. Neither do most people. Get me alone sometime though and in a situation that's not business related or a professional environment. See what my vocabulary turns into when left to my own devices.

              One who cusses a lot doesn't mean they cuss all the time and uncontrollably. That's a disease. It's called Tourette Syndrome.

              We're talking about otherwise normal people here, who have a greater propensity to cuss. That's all.
              I see what your saying .... Even though its not the right saying for the topic ...

              You never can judge a book by its cover .... Use of words per say to judge a person ...

              I was playing more devils advocate just for debate ....Its hard to believe I'm sure but if I could spell and type as well as I can communicate through speech....I would be able to give CanDB a run for his money ... But thats where perception comes into play ....

              I would have a real tough time selling that using my abilities on here ...
              :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

              Comment


              • #22
                No, I buy that. I used to be a much better speaker in person than I was in writing.

                I worked on the Internet for a few years though, and I also learned that sometimes I was too verbose in person and came off as snooty, so now I try to use smaller words and hedge my phrasings more and such... I've essentially made myself self-conscious when speaking in person.

                So my in person speech has declined while my written speech has swung upwards. I completely buy your story. I've fallen victim to it myself (but opposite).

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                  No, I buy that. I used to be a much better speaker in person than I was in writing.

                  I worked on the Internet for a few years though, and I also learned that sometimes I was too verbose in person and came off as snooty, so now I try to use smaller words and hedge my phrasings more and such... I've essentially made myself self-conscious when speaking in person.

                  So my in person speech has declined while my written speech has swung upwards. I completely buy your story. I've fallen victim to it myself (but opposite).
                  I take notice in the way people speak ... Its few and far between when someone catches my eye ....

                  Thanks for conversation Alastor
                  :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by LarryDean View Post
                    I take notice in the way people speak ... Its few and far between when someone catches my eye ....

                    Thanks for conversation Alastor
                    Word up, yo.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                      So, is there extra punishment if it's mispelled too?

                      Extra lasts and extra, extra long time.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        New info: Cussing relieves pain.

                        Click.

                        That's right, you heard it here first. Not only are people who cuss smarter, but they're also tougher, stronger, and last longer.

                        How appropriate that this was preceded by an ad for Extra gum.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          ur not helpin
                          Thanks, Reid!
                          sigpic
                          Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                            ur not helpin
                            Oddly, "Not the first time I heard that this week."

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                              New info: Cussing relieves pain.

                              Click.

                              That's right, you heard it here first. Not only are people who cuss smarter, but they're also tougher, stronger, and last longer.

                              How appropriate that this was preceded by an ad for Extra gum.
                              I must rival Hulk Hogan by now . . .

                              -----

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I thought we had new headline banners on the way...hint hint...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X