Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Searching for user posts from several years ago.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for user posts from several years ago.

I was wondering if there are any ways to search for posts from say 2006 from a user who posts regularly. Every way I try to do it, it limits the search to 500 posts shown and wont go back further, as I am only able to select an age range of 1 year or older. Apparently this person posts over that per year so it wont go further back than 2008. If there was another way to select age ranges that would be helpful.

Any tips, suggestions? I looked through the other forums to gain insight on this before I came here to ask, but was unable to come up with an answer other than just manually going through every single thread from several years ago.

Thank you in advance for your help!
    sigpic

You could look up all the threads they've created because that shows all of the threads that they've made in their history here.

Sort of stalkerish if you ask me but yeah..

Comment

Try using a unique word that might be in the post you are searching for.
      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
        Sort of stalkerish if you ask me but yeah..
        Im tryin to prove a point to someone. Its being done for research and quotation purposes only. Ha ha. Thanks for your help though, but that only gives the last 500 posts. Like I said, it tops out. I think it would just be useful if there were a different date range selection when doing a search. Like actual ranges, i.e. Month&Year to Month&Year. It's not SUPER imperative, I was just wondering.
        sigpic

Comment

Just Google it.

I can easily find some of my posts from 2003 & 2004 by simply searching my username + subject matter (or an exact phrase that I know I used). Searches for the "old board" posts come up as text only, but the content is still there.

But, back to what you're saying... a better onsite search feature would be useful.

BTW Google "loves" this message board. Posts can sometimes be searched on Google moments after they're posted. For example: this thread http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=155576 (I Feel Sorry For The Squeelers and Here Is Why...) created just a few hours ago is already indexed and listed at the top if you search the thread title. I've seen them available much sooner than this.
          Winter is Coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
            Just Google it.
            hmm, didn't think of that. It works better than the other stuff I tried. Thanks buddy. I would give you CP but im in the dog house with the Mods currently

That's something else that should maybe be fixed. I would understand if I didn't get CP while on probation but could still give it out to deserving posters, but its the exact opposite
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
              hmm, didn't think of that. It works better than the other stuff I tried. Thanks buddy. I would give you CP but im in the dog house with the Mods currently

That's something else that should maybe be fixed. I would understand if I didn't get CP while on probation but could still give it out to deserving posters, but its the exact opposite
              Yeah, we're working on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                Yeah, we're working on that.
                Cool man
                sigpic

Comment

Yeah, it stinks a bit... but the idea behind it is solid... I have mixed feelings on it...

The idea is that if someone's on probation, you want to keep them from doing anything that is 'hidden' on the boards. CPs, PMs, Editing posts... these are all not easily viewable or easy to mod (although edited posts got easier after the last upgrade).

Doubt it's possible, but it would be nice if a middle road was available... CPs with no message (to avoid nastygrams via CP).
                  Thanks, Reid!
                  sigpic
                  Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                    Yeah, it stinks a bit... but the idea behind it is solid... I have mixed feelings on it...

The idea is that if someone's on probation, you want to keep them from doing anything that is 'hidden' on the boards. CPs, PMs, Editing posts... these are all not easily viewable or easy to mod (although edited posts got easier after the last upgrade).

Doubt it's possible, but it would be nice if a middle road was available... CPs with no message (to avoid nastygrams via CP).
                    4.0 will be out soon and should be a significant upgrade. The issue even with these boards isn't whether or not we can upgrade them. These boards are pretty easy to work with usually.

Our issue on this site is that we've got fifteen other programs all "integrated" (I use that term generously) and they're all plugging into each other.

We've built quite the mess here.

Comment

Up until recently I had yet to give out CP, edit a post, send a pm at all etc. And realized it was all shut off. I had forgotten the fact that you leave messages when you give CP. That would be pretty goofy to send someone CP just to bump your gums at them Do people actually do that?

I've got to think that it happens fairly infrequently, and if someone does get a "Nasty-gram" then the recipient could always report it. You guys are able to read the CP messages correct? So if someone got a nastygram and reported it, you would be able to see what was said and then act accordingly. I guess this is less of an "automated" answer, but like I said, I can't imagine people use the CP to piss people off real often.

Oh, and thanks for the replies Mods! Imaginary, maybe someday CP to you!
                      sigpic

Comment

Up until recently I had yet to give out CP, edit a post, send a pm at all etc. And realized it was all shut off. I had forgotten the fact that you leave messages when you give CP. That would be pretty goofy to send someone CP just to bump your gums at them Do people actually do that?

I've got to think that it happens fairly infrequently, and if someone does get a "Nasty-gram" then the recipient could always report it. You guys are able to read the CP messages correct? So if someone got a nastygram and reported it, you would be able to see what was said and then act accordingly. I guess this is less of an "automated" answer, but like I said, I can't imagine people use the CP to piss people off real often.

Oh, and thanks for the replies Mods! Imaginary, maybe someday CP to you!
                        Yep, this is all pretty much accurate.

And yes, people use the CP system to send nasty-grams. Not for long... But they give it a go now and then.

Comment

I don't understand why an "edited post" would not be viewable by a mod when we all see it. And people would actually CP a person to slam them? If they were on probation or whatever, I would be like THANKS for the boost!!

But I understand that is violating the purpose of the CP system at the same time sneaking in a "jab" at a person. Gosh.. I've never had that happen. Never would even have thought of that angle of things.

4.0 will be out soon and should be a significant upgrade.

We've built quite the mess here.
                          An upgrade is upcoming yet you mention the mess you've already created.

This goes true on many web pages I attend. They keep fixing things yet upgrade and introduce new issues. Never ending battle. This internet business is becoming so complicated anymore it's ridiculous.

Don't fix it if ain't broke. Tweek what we have rather than expanding and worrying about what "others" may be doing.

In the "explosives" industry and what we deal with outside of here it's a more strict and complex philosophy but geez. Why make upgrades that cause further problems?

:2cents:

I can't imagine people use the CP to piss people off real often.
                          As I mentioned what purpose does it serve? The person that gets the CP gets bonus points, the message is only viewed by them AND you can report it for ban purposes down the road. It's really the most stupid thing a person can do.

And yes, people use the CP system to send nasty-grams. Not for long... But they give it a go now and then.
                          How can you possible control this unless the recipient reports it. AND would you take those points away from the person or maybe give them double for the abuse after it's reported?
                          Last edited by BroncoManiac_69; 11-06-2009, 10:50 PM.
                          :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
                            An upgrade is upcoming yet you mention the mess you've already created.
                            This ain't my mess. I just want to clarify that. In fact, I'm amazed I haven't been told to shut up because of my opposition to the general way this site was "integrated."

The upgrade might come with some cleaning up that we've needed for a long time. It's likely to result in some genuine integration instead of "integration."

This goes true on many web pages I attend. They keep fixing things yet upgrade and introduce new issues. Never ending battle. This internet business is becoming so complicated anymore it's ridiculous.
                            In our case, we made our situation far worse than it had to be. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but there were some better options available for "how to do what we wanted to do" than were exercised.

Don't fix it if ain't broke. Tweek what we have rather than expanding and worrying about what "others" may be doing.
                            "Expanding" is not what I was thinking about, although some expansion in certain areas would be okay.

I can sit here "tweaking" this site until I'm blue in the face, and the guys on the layout pretty much do exactly that. At the end of the day though, that costs us an awful lot of money and is far less productive than actually fixing the site. This site will not remain tenable over the next ten years if we don't change some basic structures. It needs a major overhaul if it's going to remain an inviting place for people to come to in my opinion.

Sure, we'd still have Broncos loyalists and new members, but we'll seriously degrade the pleasure factor of the site for many if we don't fix it soon. Our retention level will tank. It's probably already having a serious impact on many levels, it's just hard to quantify and produce numbers on that sort of thing - if not entirely impossible.

In the "explosives" industry and what we deal with outside of here it's a more strict and complex philosophy but geez. Why make upgrades that cause further problems?

:2cents:
                            It's not the upgrades, it's the integration. The upgrades are awesome and don't cause many problems. It's the way we integrated a number of different programs and had to build an over-arching program to help do that, which wasn't as robust as it needed to be and certainly was not maintained as it needed to be.

Do this to a highly trafficked and otherwise advanced web site for 5 years and the results are... Well... A lot like what we have.

How can you possible control this unless the recipient reports it.
                            We can (and do) check on them occasionally just randomly to make sure it's not being abused.

AND would you take those points away from the person or maybe give them double for the abuse after it's reported?
                            Nah. We wouldn't mess with the points. We'd just deal with the abusive comment.

Comment

Working...
                            X