You Tube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Tube?

Is there a way, or will there ever be a way to embed a video directly into a post rather then having to post a link.
    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
    sigpic

I would love this! but... how would trolls RickRoll us?
    :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
    Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
      I would love this! but... how would trolls RickRoll us?

I'm not sure why we don't have that enabled....

Al?
      Thanks, Reid!
      sigpic
      Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

I've always had to use a hosting site to get images to display in the post rather than click a link. If you upload an image via this site, you have to click the link to view it.

Videos are the same way.

I've seen others post a short video clip via their hosting sites.

I for one would love to see VBulletin implement their own hosting site if you will and allow us to just upload a picture or video into our post without using a third party.

I'm getting highly annoyed with my hosting site recently and having the simplicity of just posting a pic at ease would be a great thing.

:2cents:
        :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Doing so would force enabling HTML, which could pose security risks among other nuisances if used in the wrong way. I mean, you can do a lot with HTML.
          Brock you like a hurricane!
          sigpic
          Think of a bigger, stronger, more handsome Eli Manning.... That's Fargo.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargo View Post
            Doing so would force enabling HTML, which could pose security risks among other nuisances if used in the wrong way. I mean, you can do a lot with HTML.
            Really? For embedded youtube videos and such?

Hmm.
            Thanks, Reid!
            sigpic

Comment

Couldn't some custom code be created specifically for this reason without having to enable HTML?

I know "custom code" is the bane of this site's (and of Alastor's) existence, but...

I've seen vbulletin sites where embedding youtube videos is as simple as enclosing it in tags.
              Winter is Coming!

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                Really? For embedded youtube videos and such?

Hmm.
                Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
                Couldn't some custom code be created specifically for this reason without having to enable HTML?

I know "custom code" is the bane of this site's (and of Alastor's) existence, but...

I've seen vbulletin sites where embedding youtube videos is as simple as enclosing it in tags.
                While that could be done, it requires installing a mod in the software that enables such a tab to be used. I have a feeling Ala wouldn't be up to that however.

You remember text like this?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aMuOvE940KE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aMuOvE940KE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Well, the same HTML that makes that can actually be used for a variety of other things, such as screwing around with the page. Mind you, not many know how that works, but it happened a lot on Myspace a few years ago -- so the story goes anyway.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fargo View Post
                  I don't think that's entirely true and HTML is not that risky. JavaScript or PHP yes, but not html. There's not a whole lot you can compromise with it because it's not necessarily a programming language. Plus there are ways to specify what HTML tags are recognized and rendered by the forum application.

vBulletin does have pluggins or extensions that allow this and I've seen a lot of other message boards enable this without cause for concern.

As far as why these forums don't allow it, I'm not aware but I do know that I and others have personally requested it in feedback before.

Comment

Originally posted by // / yardo View Post
                    I don't think that's entirely true and HTML is not that risky. JavaScript or PHP yes, but not html. There's not a whole lot you can compromise with it because it's not necessarily a programming language. Plus there are ways to specify what HTML tags are recognized and rendered by the forum application.

vBulletin does have pluggins or extensions that allow this and I've seen a lot of other message boards enable this without cause for concern.

As far as why these forums don't allow it, I'm not aware but I do know that I and others have personally requested it in feedback before.
                    I suppose not security risks particularly, but it can edit the page in certain situations. By that, I mean appearing to change colors, layouts, or other asshattery. Anyways, it opens a pretty big degree of freedom many sites don't like opening.

If it were youtube tags on the other hand, it would work fine. It's just a matter of wanting to install it.
                    Last edited by Fargo; 04-05-2010, 02:38 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

There are ways you can restrict things and without allowing HTML.

vBulletin Forums

Comment

Originally posted by // / yardo View Post
                        There are ways you can restrict things and without allowing HTML.

vBulletin Forums
                        Right, and that works fine provided you want to install it. I meant flat out HTML tags.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/833619/pop_up_prank/

That, for instance, would be a giant pain in the rear.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post

I'm not sure why we don't have that enabled....

Al?
                          Because it would require custom code, which this system eats every time it pees itself.

It would also cause issues with the other programs working together with our boards.

What's normally a very simple thing to do with message boards becomes exponentially more complex because of the integration (or lack there-of) of these boards with other programs on the site.

Comment

YouTube - The Lion Sleeps Tonight - Hippo Singer

Just testing..it didn't work.
                            Works here though.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/music/

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                              Because it would require custom code, which this system eats every time it pees itself.

It would also cause issues with the other programs working together with our boards.

What's normally a very simple thing to do with message boards becomes exponentially more complex because of the integration (or lack there-of) of these boards with other programs on the site.
                              I figured, but I thought I would ask...

It always sounds better when it comes from you... and I wasn't sure if it was custom code or just an option these days.

Thanks.
                              Thanks, Reid!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X