No announcement yet.

You Tube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not an option, no. I'd have to make it myself. Easy enough to do, but after it ate my last batch of customizations (the third such instance of that behavior) I kind of gave up.

Comment

Forum Feature Request

Hey Mods...

I'd like to request a feature...This forum runs on vBulletin and there's a free plugin that can be added that will let us add/embed youtube videos directly in our posts.

I think it would be cool to be able to post videos and be able to comment on them.

It's free and is pretty easy for your webmaster to install. Could you guys put in a request?

Comment

i don't know if they'd want that because some people post not so family friendly videos on here at times and if they load directly onto the site that violates the CoC.

plus it could make page load-time longer. :shrug:
        sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Gotta agree that it would be a nice addition to the site. Suprised I havn't seen a request for this before. Thinking maybe part of the reason it hasn't been added is because that plugin adds a picture of the video and that picture could be not appropriate, depending on the video? Havn't seen it on any other forums that are considered for people of all ages.

Comment

Originally posted by Etho View Post
            Gotta agree that it would be a nice addition to the site. Suprised I havn't seen a request for this before. Thinking maybe part of the reason it hasn't been added is because that plugin adds a picture of the video and that picture could be not appropriate, depending on the video? Havn't seen it on any other forums that are considered for people of all ages.
            There is another thread about this. I can't find. When I do, I will merge and there should be some answers in it.
            Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by Fargo View Post
              Doing so would force enabling HTML, which could pose security risks among other nuisances if used in the wrong way. I mean, you can do a lot with HTML.
              Actually it wouldn't...I own a vBulletin site with the plugin installed and you don't need to enable html to embed Youtube videos.

The plug in is simple: A user inputs the URL of the page on Youtube for the video and the forum displays the video in the posts.

And the video is still hosted on Youtube, so it doesn't increase the bandwidth or server resources a bit.

Right now, members post a link to Youtube. With the plugin, users still post a link to Youtube, except the plugin posts the actual video in the post, not merely the link which is what happens now.

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
                Hey Mods...

I'd like to request a feature...This forum runs on vBulletin and there's a free plugin that can be added that will let us add/embed youtube videos directly in our posts.
                Plug-ins void our service contract. Also, it's the same issue as with any other customization on this site. The program conflicts tend to eat anything that's customized.

Comment

Originally posted by Etho View Post
                  It will display a "still" image of the video, the same one displayed on Youtube. Unless the person that uploads the video chooses otherwise, the exact middle frame of the video is used as the "cover image", so the plugin doesn't add anything that isn't included in the video.

There's no more risk to embedding videos than there is allowing people to post images, which we do know...Actually, Youtube videos are safer, as they have some form of reporting on Youtube, and you can only embed Youtube videos...Whereas we can add any image we want to right now.

I honestly just think it's a matter of not knowing about the plugin, then having the person in charge actually install it...I'm sure there's some "red tape" involved...

PS. I also have version 3.8 of vbulletin installed, the same version as this forum, so there's no doubt the Youtube plug in will work with this forum

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                    Plug-ins void our service contract. Also, it's the same issue as with any other customization on this site. The program conflicts tend to eat anything that's customized.
                    No plugins don't.

Modifying the code voids the service contract, not installing plugins.

Plus, the "CP" feature is either a plugin or a hack, so you've already voided the service contract, if this were true.

Besides, if the plugin doesn't work, just delete it and no one will be the wiser...

It easy to tell you're just being contrary by your post. You say this forum will lose their service contract if they modify the forum, then you say because this forum has be modified the plugin won't work. Well, if this is accurate, this forum has already voided their contract.

Let me be honest, I do this kind of thing for a living. There is only one reason not to add the Youtube plugin: They don't want to. And the forum has that right.

All these other "reasons" are pure BS and totally invalid. There is NO tech or legal reason not to. Simple as that.

Comment

No plugins don't.

Plus, the "CP" feature is either a plugin or a hack, so you've already voided the service contract, if this were true.

Besides, if the plugin doesn't work, just delete it and no one will be the wiser...

It easy to tell you're just being contrary by your post. You say this forum will lose their service contract if they modify the forum, then you say because this forum has be modified the plugin won't work. Well, if this is accurate, this forum has already voided their contract.

Let me be honest, I do this kind of thing for a living. There is only one reason not to add the Youtube plugin: They don't want to. And the forum has that right.

All these other "reasons" are pure BS and totally invalid. There is NO tech or legal reason not to. Simple as that.
                      Al works with a service company we use that helps with all the integration we have here for the site as well as for VBulletin.

It may have to do with them. I don't think he meant vBulletin.

Regardless... Al knows what he's talking about too. Promise.

Edit: and yes... everytime we have an upgrade, the customization and plugins tend to get really wacky. lol.
                      Thanks, Reid!
                      sigpic
                      Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

No plugins don't.
                        Yes, they do. We could discuss the contracts this site has with other companies, but that's really not something that we share with the general public.

There are several different programs integrated together on this site. It appears to be VB from the outside, but I assure you that's simply the cover-sheet.

You're talking about a basic VB set of boards. We left that behind almost 6 years ago.

The CP feature is neither a plug-in nor a hack. It's neither one. I built it using the base code and tools present in VB already. You're mistaken. I'd expect someone who is familiar with these boards and this web site to know that.

Right... Because playing hokey games with the main Internet presence of a billion dollar franchise always ends well... And certainly integrity if something goes wrong isn't an issue.

Also, no, deleting things in this system isn't as easy as it is with a basic site that just has a board on it. I can think of at least ten different programs off the top of my head that are currently interacting with this message board.

It easy to tell you're just being contrary by your post.
                        I'm kind of offended. I'm not intentionally being contrary. I do however, actually know something about this site. You don't. Kindly refrain from telling me how our site works, especially when you're mistaken.

You say this forum will lose their service contract if they modify the forum, then you say because this forum has be modified the plugin won't work. Well, if this is accurate, this forum has already voided their contract.
                        I believe that's already been clarified for you. Let me know if that's not the case.

Let me be honest, I do this kind of thing for a living.
                        Maybe. Not on this site however, nor are you privy to the inner-workings of this site, What you presume to be a stand-alone set of boards is anything but. There are other factors that might modify your stance as well, but that's really not something we care to discuss openly.

While I have no doubt that you make money working with message boards, and that you're competent at your job, you most certainly are not intimate with this site, this situation, or this community - yet you have asserted yourself as though you are.

There is only one reason not to add the Youtube plugin: They don't want to. And the forum has that right.
                        Again, you're quite mistaken. It's not a matter of want.

By the way, neither you nor this forum have any rights here. This is a privately owned site and it belongs to the Denver Broncos. We do our best to deliver what the members of this community want if it's within the realm of reason and it's something we can provide.

The youtube code you're recommending is a change we've tried with different things in the past however, and that takes time and energy from the staff to create. Then the moment an update comes through or the boards hiccup, it vanishes.

You're out of line, you're out of your realm, you don't know what you're talking about, and you're showing a significant lack of both professionalism and social skills.

You might want to re-appraise your tone and tactic in this thread so far. I do not believe this course of action will result in the outcome you desire.

Comment

If the webmaster is interested, here's the info/download page for The Auto Media Embedding plugin:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=150863

It's free. It just a matter of whether the webmaster is willing to spend 15 minutes to add it, but I feel it's a feature that would add a lot to this forum.

I personally would love to have the video of Floyd Little at the Hall of Fame actually included in the post itself, instead of having to LEAVE the site to visit Youtube, as we do now. And there's a millon other videos that would be cool to add...

Comment

Working...
                          X