Too Many "General Discussions"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too Many "General Discussions"?

We just moved a bunch of threads IN here when we closed the Broncos Players sub-forum, but what I'd really like to do is move a bunch of threads OUT. Just under 19,000 total threads, and more than 13,000 of them are in here.

So I have a question for the regular users of this forum -- what new sub-forum could we create to move some activity away from "General Discussions"? I want to make it easier for people to find threads they want to participate in, and having 70% of the total threads in one place doesn't seem like the optimal organization.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Any game without push-ups, hits, burns or noogies is a sissy game.

We could delete threads that have had no new posts in say, 180 days? 365 days?

That would mess with people's post counts, but would it affect their contribution status?

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
    You should check these guys out

Comment

I am kind of suprised you closed the Broncos Players forum. I always thought it might be better to have seperate defensive and offensive Broncos players forums. Maybe a special teams forum also.

Another suggestion would be an Off The Field forum, for topics more management related.
      Also maybe a Game Day forum which I guess would be more for locals, but a place to discuss tailgaiting, meeting at games, etc. Also a Coaches forum comes to mind where everyone who wants to talk about Shanahan and the other coaches can go.

Personally, I kind of like Jared's idea of deleting old threads no longer in use. I myself dont really care about my post count, although I have seen others who do.
      Last edited by JWinn; 01-13-2005, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Is there any way you can do a search and find out how many of a certain topic there are, then delete beginning at the oldest and/or least participated in

I also see a problem being that most people seem to hang out in the general forum, so naturally, if you want response to your thread, you put it in the general so the most possible number of people will see it, regardless of the topic - not that I have ever done such a thing

I looked quickly through general and I cant see a theme repeated enough to be its own subforum

i vote for deletion of threads or would that effect the new system?

Comment

Maybe a forum to consider would be one that has to deal with what people think of coaching decisions. Since a hot topic right now is how a lot of people think that Shanny is stupid for keeping Plummer. Also maybe the RB controversy (we know all those threads will start again) could fit into that forum for coaching decisions. It's just an idea that I think would keep the board from cluttering.
          Smith's First Catch
          "It was Sept. 17, 1995, and as the clock ticked down to 0:00 in the game against Washington at Mile High Stadium, Smith outleaped the great Darrell Green to catch the game-winning touchdown pass from Elway."

Comment

I Hate Shanny, Jake, or Both - there's a forum for ya

Comment

Originally posted by brom66an6
              Maybe a forum to consider would be one that has to deal with what people think of coaching decisions. Since a hot topic right now is how a lot of people think that Shanny is stupid for keeping Plummer. Also maybe the RB controversy (we know all those threads will start again) could fit into that forum for coaching decisions. It's just an idea that I think would keep the board from cluttering.

This was also my intention for the Coaches forum (my edit above).

As I look thru thr G.D forum, I notice a few threads relating to signatures, the web site, things of this nature, maybe a Message Boards Forum to discuss things directly related to the boards and posting on them. SOmething a bit more than the newbies area for regulars to talk about stuff that isnt "team" related as much as it is "board" related.

420's idea also sounds good! Maybe a "Things I hate about the Broncos" and "Things I love about the Broncos" forums.

Fishing now, lol..............

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
                DING!!! A Draft forum for the offseason!!!!!!!
                There is already a draft forum.
                Smith's First Catch
                "It was Sept. 17, 1995, and as the clock ticked down to 0:00 in the game against Washington at Mile High Stadium, Smith outleaped the great Darrell Green to catch the game-winning touchdown pass from Elway."

Comment

lol, I just deleted that post as I just noticed that. my dummy!!!

Comment

Hmm. I'd hate to have too many old threads deleted. It's fun to go back and see what people were saying in the past and how it relates to the present. But you've got to do what you've got to do.
                    "You can't take the sky from me..."
                    ------
                    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

How about a temporary Awards forum. I notice a few people talking about the various awards. There is even one in the smack section that doesnt really belong there.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_mgr
                        We just moved a bunch of threads IN here when we closed the Broncos Players sub-forum, but what I'd really like to do is move a bunch of threads OUT. Just under 19,000 total threads, and more than 13,000 of them are in here.

So I have a question for the regular users of this forum -- what new sub-forum could we create to move some activity away from "General Discussions"? I want to make it easier for people to find threads they want to participate in, and having 70% of the total threads in one place doesn't seem like the optimal organization.

Thanks in advance for your help!
                        LETTERS TO THE ORGANIZATION.......
                        consisting of bi_ching and/or praising the coach/player(s)/game results, draft pix, etc.....
                        Sometimes, if people think they're actually being heard, then they'll feel better after venting and move along......
                        "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                        tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                        men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

I agree with the starting a new forum. The training camp forum was a big success. But it was driven by daily information. So whatever new forum that is started, you should consider information available. Therefore an off season moves, or GM forum or whatever you want to call it would be nice. Talking draft and potential trades or any moves is what will carry us over until training camp.

Or everyone continue to start threads in GD. That's more convenient any way

Comment

Originally posted by DeuceOfClub
                            “There is 17 other threads on the subject but I like to start a new one, forum”

In other words… the problem with the “general discussion forum” is that a lot of quality threads getting buried under repetitive threads.

OK Jared, I'll cave on this one.

The mods have the power to mix threads. Blending all of the Plummer threads (for example) into one insanely gigantic one might be a good idea. Or at least some of them. Maybe 5 or 6 total threads. (Actually, maybe "Plummer" should be it's own forum, lol.) This would cut the number of threads at least.

Edit..... Since I mostly stay in "Smack", I'll stop now.............
                            Last edited by JWinn; 01-14-2005, 12:31 AM.

Comment

It seems to me that everyone browses by forum, instead of the MUCH more convenient "new posts" function. Using that option not only will show you every post since your last log in, thus allowing you to pick and choose which threads or posts you want to view, but it also means that that you don't spnd all of your time in any one forum. (which could help counteract this belief that you HAVE to post in GD to have anyone see it).
                              Last edited by Jared; 01-16-2005, 10:28 AM.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                              You should check these guys out

Comment

Working...
                              X