Too Many "General Discussions"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Perry1977
    Funny, how it wasn't even moved to the proper forum. A tustle and a shooting is "anything but football", yet it was put in some obscure forum nobody reads called "other teams".

Also, how was someone going to 'search' for a topic such as this? It's so obscure that no one actually goes searching for "ex raider shot in burlary attempt".

See, the thing is, you ARE babysitters, because you are babysitting. Who cares if there's a post like that in General Discussions? IMO, it is relevant to the Broncos because the Raiders are our sworn enemy. Now, I could see if it was like another Raven or something, or some player that played for the Saints...but it's not. Making fun of the Raiders has everything to do with the Orange and Blue. =p

Let's look at the front page threads in General Discussions right now:

This one has nothing to do directly with the Broncos...

This one doesn't either...

Nor does this one ...

Now, am I saying they should be moved? Of course not, because they are interesting topics. But technically they are in the 'wrong' forum. But who would read them if they weren't here? Nobody.
    Someone with your attitude is never happy no matter where it's moved.
    It's not like we lost your luggage during a flight

Comment

Originally posted by JoviBronco
      Someone with your attitude is never happy no matter where it's moved.
      It's not like we lost your luggage during a flight

My attitude? My attitude is based on very succinct points that no one thus far has been able to counter.

It's a judgement call, you're the zebra, and here are your glasses.

If you'll notice, I dont post everything in general discussions. Of course you havent noticed tho, because you haven't looked.

I'll say it again. Pointing out the flaws in the Raiders organization has everything to do with being a Bronco fan. Deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry1977

I'll say it again. Pointing out the flaws in the Raiders organization has everything to do with being a Bronco fan. Deal.

In your opinion. I don't think its worth my time to care about the Raiders.

And Like I said, he's a former player, so its not really a Raiders story. Why is this bothering you so much? Its just a moved thread. One of many that happen every day here.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
        You should check these guys out

Comment

Perry, let me ask a question here...

What's your point? What would you like to see done?

You've made the point that there are a lot of threads made in the wrong cats, and a lot of duplicate threads. I think that's a fair statement to make. So... what's your point? What are you after here?

I do sort of see a question here, but I'd rather not fill in the blanks myself. So... help me out. What are you after here? What's your goal?

Comment

I haven't been a member of this forum very long but I agree with one of the first posts on this topic.
            Categories such as Offense, Defense, Special Teams and Coaching & Management would be helpful in keeping topics in specific areas but general enough that it wouldn't create a scattered convoluted mess for the moderators to maintain. Yet it'd be easy enough to use. I wouldn't add individual players or positions as too many categories is worse than too few. IMO.
            Just my two cents.

Comment

Ya know, broncos mgr., I dont think there is anything you can do about the number of posts in the Gen. Disc. area.

Just tonight, there has been a new thread started regarding the rumored Moss/Buchanon trade and one about the rumored pending Vikings sale in Gen. Disc. On top of a trade thread already existing in Other NFL Teams, meaning it's just redundant, they both belong in that forum, if not the Rumor forum.

Now, I am not here just to say move them. You mods can spend all day at that.

But I just dont see where making new forums is going to solve the problem, if you wanna call it that. Not when existing forums exist and people wont use them. I think Perry1977 is correct in some parts of his assesment. While I and many others use several forums, it's clear many do not.

Short of having an army of mods to alert every poster of where his or her thread should be, I dont see much you can do. It's clear a lot of people never read threads like this one.

Maybe if somehow you and Alastor can come up with a way that every time someone comes on, before they enter the boards, they first get a reminder to post in the correct forum and maybe a brief COC, with a warning that all threads mis-posted will be either moved or deleted. Making them select that they will follow those guidelines might make some observe them a little more. Personally, I think such a thing would chase people away. I can see you want this to remain a friendy place to come to and how that would definatly NOT be a friendly way to start.

It's just an idea...........

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
                Ya know, broncos mgr., I dont think there is anything you can do about the number of posts in the Gen. Disc. area.

Just tonight, there has been a new thread started regarding the rumored Moss/Buchanon trade and one about the rumored pending Vikings sale in Gen. Disc. On top of a trade thread already existing in Other NFL Teams, meaning it's just redundant, they both belong in that forum, if not the Rumor forum.

Now, I am not here just to say move them. You mods can spend all day at that.

But I just dont see where making new forums is going to solve the problem, if you wanna call it that. Not when existing forums exist and people wont use them. I think Perry1977 is correct in some parts of his assesment. While I and many others use several forums, it's clear many do not.

Short of having an army of mods to alert every poster of where his or her thread should be, I dont see much you can do. It's clear a lot of people never read threads like this one.

Maybe if somehow you and Alastor can come up with a way that every time someone comes on, before they enter the boards, they first get a reminder to post in the correct forum and maybe a brief COC, with a warning that all threads mis-posted will be either moved or deleted. Making them select that they will follow those guidelines might make some observe them a little more. Personally, I think such a thing would chase people away. I can see you want this to remain a friendy place to come to and how that would definatly NOT be a friendly way to start.

It's just an idea...........
                It drives me up the wall. When you post in the wrong forum on other boards, it is the Mods job to tell you that you posted in the wrong forum and move the thread. They should also post in the thread saying that it was previously moved and where it was moved from. Other posters seeing that DOES help. Some will make an effort to post in the right forum after seeing that a few times. Telling them is also equally important. Especially to repeat offenders. Even the ones that have had their threads moved still don't get it and complain about it happening! People would venture the other forums if they knew they had to post those topics there but as long as they're able to post whatever in General Discussions they will continue to do so unless told otherwise. If you instill this attitude in more and more posters, you'd be surprised how cleaned up the boards would get.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
                  It drives me up the wall. When you post in the wrong forum on other boards, it is the Mods job to tell you that you posted in the wrong forum and move the thread. They should also post in the thread saying that it was previously moved and where it was moved from. Other posters seeing that DOES help. Some will make an effort to post in the right forum after seeing that a few times. Telling them is also equally important. Especially to repeat offenders. Even the ones that have had their threads moved still don't get it and complain about it happening! People would venture the other forums if they knew they had to post those topics there but as long as they're able to post whatever in General Discussions they will continue to do so unless told otherwise. If you instill this attitude in more and more posters, you'd be surprised how cleaned up the boards would get.

I agree with you TDK, but it seems to me we dont have enough mods for the job. They dont want to be babysitters, even if sometimes thats eactly whats needed. Would you want to spend all day telling people where they should be posting? I wouldnt.

Again, it would take a mod full time to do that job, and I believe they are mostly unpaid volunteeers. As I see them, they are just fellow members who have just shown an abitlity to deal well with others, who want to also be able to just "chat", as it were. I dont think any of them want to be policemen or policewomen in here.

Hence my idea of an entry page. I think it's a bad idea, but I just dont see how mods, or a few of us other non-mod posters can instill that attitude in anyone.

I have to think about this more.............................

Comment

I agree with you TDK, but it seems to me we dont have enough mods for the job. They dont want to be babysitters, even if sometimes thats eactly whats needed. Would you want to spend all day telling people where they should be posting? I wouldnt.

Again, it would take a mod full time to do that job, and I believe they are mostly unpaid volunteeers. As I see them, they are just fellow members who have just shown an abitlity to deal well with others, who want to also be able to just "chat", as it were. I dont think any of them want to be policemen or policewomen in here.

Hence my idea of an entry page. I think it's a bad idea, but I just dont see how mods, or a few of us other non-mod posters can instill that attitude in anyone.

I have to think about this more.............................

It would be tough at first because this board has alot of posters with really bad posting habits but after it gets going for awhile, the board mods itself. I myself have been trying to tell people "wrong forum" whenever I see something that is not appropriate. I'm sure it has made me unpopular with a couple of posters but I don't care. They should know better. It's hard to be diplomatic sometimes. Like I said, the board can mod itself after awhile. There just needs to be people willing to tell others "Hey, you can't do that" or "wrong forum". People are afraid that it would make this place unfriendly but that's not true. People will fall in line after few weeks and more good posters will join if the see how well oraganized and moderated this board is.

Comment

Honestly TDK, I only partly agree with your assessment here.

I think we have several posters who just ignore those type of comments and no amount of telling them otherwise will make them "get it". Some people just do what they wanna do, especially on the internet, and no amount of prodding or shoving is going to make them change.

You say that the boards will just clean themselves up, but since I started posting in October, I havent seen that happen. It seems to me that broncos mgr doesnt think that will happen either or he would not have created this thread to begin with.

I just dont think that there IS a good solution to this problem here, that's all.

Comment

Certain rules are set down, whenyou join. If the morons can't abide by them, they should not have the privilge to post on the board.

Look but no post. Kind of simple when you look at it.

Somone voilates the COC, they get their posting privilge suspended.

Like driving a car is not a right it is a privilge.

Breathing is a right, at least PC police says so.

Comment

I'd like to add that regarding your attempts to "correct" people here, I dont think that it makes you unpopular here.

You mention that you dont care either way, but your mising that THEY never cared to begin with. Just my opinion TDK.

Comment

Originally posted by Jrhampton
                            Certain rules are set down, whenyou join. If the morons can't abide by them, they should not have the privilge to post on the board.

Look but no post. Kind of simple when you look at it.

Somone voilates the COC, they get their posting privilge suspended.

Like driving a car is not a right it is a privilge.

Breathing is a right, at least PC police says so.

Ya know? When someone is right, they are just right!!!!!!

That being said, I dont think that's the kind of image this board is trying to project.
                            This should be and IS a fun place to come to. With actions like that, there wont be many people left in here.

While I like the sentiment, I dont think that's whats neede here. Again, just my opinion.

Comment

Honestly TDK, I only partly agree with your assessment here.

I think we have several posters who just ignore those type of comments and no amount of telling them otherwise will make them "get it". Some people just do what they wanna do, especially on the internet, and no amount of prodding or shoving is going to make them change.

You say that the boards will just clean themselves up, but since I started posting in October, I havent seen that happen. It seems to me that broncos mgr doesnt think that will happen either or he would not have created this thread to begin with.

I just dont think that there IS a good solution to this problem here, that's all.

It hasn't happend because it hasn't been Mod-ed like I said. The Mods here don't tell people they posted in the wrong forum. They should. The Mods here after moving a thread don't post in the thread saying they moved it. They should. The posters here ignore when other users disregard basic board message board common sense like posting threads in the wrong forum. Let em know!

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
                                It hasn't happend because it hasn't been Mod-ed like I said. The Mods here don't tell people they posted in the wrong forum. They should. The Mods here after moving a thread don't post in the thread saying they moved it. They should. The posters here ignore when other users disregard basic board message board common sense like posting threads in the wrong forum. Let em know!
                                OK, I see what you mean. And I think your right here. It is certianly worth a try, but again, you turn the mods into cops. I just dont think that's what any of them signed up for. As I said above.

Comment

Working...
                                X