Too Many "General Discussions"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JWinn
    Ya know? When someone is right, they are just right!!!!!!

That being said, I dont think that's the kind of image this board is trying to project.
    This should be and IS a fun place to come to. With actions like that, there wont be many people left in here.

While I like the sentiment, I dont think that's whats neede here. Again, just my opinion.

The only people that it will scare away are posters that probably shouldn't be here anyway. A well moderated board is a great place to post at. I'm not dissing the Mods here, but I get the impression that they're being held back somewhat.

Comment

OK, I see what you mean. And I think your right here. It is certianly worth a try, but again, you turn the mods into cops. I just dont think that's what any of them signed up for. As I said above.

OK, well that's where we differ because the other boards I surf, the Mods ARE the cops.

It's really not that big of deal.

When someone starts a thread in the wrong forum this is all you have to do:

"Seeing how this thread is about______ it seems to be more appropriate in______forum, So I'm moving it there"

That's all!!!! You don't even have to yell at them. Just politly inform them that it doesn't belong there.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
        OK, well that's where we differ because the other boards I surf, the Mods ARE the cops.

It's really not that big of deal.

When someone starts a thread in the wrong forum this is all you have to do:

"Seeing how this thread is about______ it seems to be more appropriate in______forum, So I'm moving it there"

That's all!!!! You don't even have to yell at them. Just politly inform them that it doesn't belong there.

TDK, I think the only place we differ here is that I dont see any of these mods wanting to be cops here. I might be wrong in that assessment though.

They may be "held back" as you say. But it might be for a good reason.

Mods are people too. It can become too easy for any one of them to take it a bit too far and really start kicking people for silly reasons. I dont have alot of experiance at message boards, so I will take you word about other ones. But I have "hosted" a chat room in MSN years ago. Pretty much the same thing. It just became too easy to start kicking people out because I disagreed with them. As soon as I started doing that, I quit. I am only human. So are these mods.

Lastly, I think your idea has merit in here. It's definately worth a try.

Comment

TDK, I think the only place we differ here is that I dont see any of these mods wanting to be cops here. I might be wrong in that assessment though.

They may be "held back" as you say. But it might be for a good reason.

Mods are people too. It can become too easy for any one of them to take it a bit too far and really start kicking people for silly reasons. I dont have alot of experiance at message boards, so I will take you word about other ones. But I have "hosted" a chat room in MSN years ago. Pretty much the same thing. It just became too easy to start kicking people out because I disagreed with them. As soon as I started doing that, I quit. I am only human. So are these mods.

Lastly, I think your idea has merit in here. It's definately worth a try.
          I guess you'd have to trust me. It's not as bad as you think and I beleive it would actually raise the quality of the board. I think cops is a strong word. Mods will do just fine.

Comment

Well, some of them are bound to read all of this.

Lets hear from them.

MODS?

Comment

Originally posted by Perry1977
              Funny, how it wasn't even moved to the proper forum. A tustle and a shooting is "anything but football", yet it was put in some obscure forum nobody reads called "other teams".

Also, how was someone going to 'search' for a topic such as this? It's so obscure that no one actually goes searching for "ex raider shot in burlary attempt".

It took me all of 2.2 seconds to know that there was a thread about this - I saw the article when I signed online that morning and was going to post a thread about it but I checked the first two pages of NEW POSTS and found someone already had - it did not make a difference what forum it was in - so why not put it in the proper one to keep things in order? People just need to use a little common sense and life would be so much easier - not just here but EVERWHERE!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Just my 2 cents

It's been my experience, how an individual person uses a message board varies(we are not all robots,,,thankgoodness LOL) it will never be a perfect world. You can't please all the people all the time. And there will always be newcomers, which is a good thing, and I think it's important to show them some patience in the start.

As I have stated before in another thread, people shouldn't take it too *personal if a thread is moved. And mods make mistakes too, sometimes a thread could easily live in 2 forums (as stated in another thread by 420),so there are times no matter where a topic is, someone won't be happy with the decision. A fact that we as mods have to live with. Other times I might miss something that should have been done, it's happened before and it will happen again LOL.
                Sometimes I say I moved a thread and sometimes I don't, that's what the moved thingies are for. I suppose I could start saying I moved them more often if people think it would help.

Personaly, I find that the majority of users here try to be responsible, and thanks for that

Comment

I know on Paintball Nation forums we have a "small talk" thread for everything not related to paintball, so you could maybe go with something along those lines for a new sub forum to keep the more "general" or "off topic" threads out of here.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Joe
                    I know on Paintball Nation forums we have a "small talk" thread for everything not related to paintball, so you could maybe go with something along those lines for a new sub forum to keep the more "general" or "off topic" threads out of here.

What do you mean? We have a smack talk forum and many other ones as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JoviBronco
                      As I have stated before in another thread, people shouldn't take it too *personal if a thread is moved. And mods make mistakes too, sometimes a thread could easily live in 2 forums (as stated in another thread by 420),so there are times no matter where a topic is, someone won't be happy with the decision. A fact that we as mods have to live with. Other times I might miss something that should have been done, it's happened before and it will happen again LOL.

Sometimes I say I moved a thread and sometimes I don't, that's what the moved thingies are for. I suppose I could start saying I moved them more often if people think it would help.
                      What are you trying to say here Jovi, like mods are only human or something - sheesh

Comment

Just speaking for myself mind you

Originally posted by orangenblue420
                        What are you trying to say here Jovi, like mods are only human or something - sheesh
                        .............we may not be normal though BTW....Just speaking for myself mind you

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
                          What do you mean? We have a smack talk forum and many other ones as well.

Well, a small talk forum wouldnt nessecarily be for smack talk. There two different things. Ok, the paintball forum Im on is mostly occupied by teenage boys from 13-22 years old. So you can imagine theres a wide variety of things that get talked about. Everything from there high school problems to how much snow we're going to get, to football, and alot of other cool stuff, like a 7 page thread dedicated to custom .gif pictures.

We could put a sub forum up for people to go into to just bull**** about whatever, and leave general discussions for general football discussions.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Joe
                            Well, a small talk forum wouldnt nessecarily be for smack talk. There two different things. Ok, the paintball forum Im on is mostly occupied by teenage boys from 13-22 years old. So you can imagine theres a wide variety of things that get talked about. Everything from there high school problems to how much snow we're going to get, to football, and alot of other cool stuff, like a 7 page thread dedicated to custom .gif pictures.

We could put a sub forum up for people to go into to just bull**** about whatever, and leave general discussions for general football discussions.
                            We have Anything but football? ?
                            http://216.58.161.130/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Comment

Originally posted by JoviBronco

Exactly, I swear this is the biggest problem with the boards is that even some of the vets don't know where to post!!!

Comment

Didnt even know it was down there, lol.

*steps off soap box*

Comment

Working...
                                X