Locking the forum after a loss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking the forum after a loss?

with so many people posting threads venting about the same things after a loss not matter how hard the mods try to keep them merged would it be a good idea to lock the forum for a day or 2 after a loss?

Originally posted by OrangeShadow
    with so many people posting threads venting about the same things after a loss not matter how hard the mods try to keep them merged would it be a good idea to lock the forum for a day or 2 after a loss?

They would just post they're rantings in another forum. The only way to prevent them from doing so would be to lock the whole board. And if they did that, they might as well shut it down for good............

Comment

we have to vent somewhere, but maybe just have a few "official" threads like the official Jake thread or something along those lines after a game. Not a sticky, but something to keep all of the repetitious ones out of here.

Comment

A suggestion........

If it's even technically possible.

Perhaps on Gamedays, win or lose, they could make it so that only certian people can START new threads. Perhaps those with over 5000 posts, two years membership, or four bars in the CP system. Or perhaps a combination of two of those three things. That doesnt seem very fair to everyone else though.

But without doing something drastic like this, I see no way to stop people from starting new threads about each little thing they want to talk about.

Comment

What about a limit on the amount of threads that someone can create in any given amount of time?

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Last Sunday was utterly ridiculous here after the loss. I certainly don't begrudge anyone complaining about a loss, or how we loss, but it was the way people were doing it.

Ignoring the COC, personal attacks on each other, repetitious threads on the same subject, and threads that had no merit what so ever, many by newbie posters.

To their credit some posters did try to diffuse the situation and police the board.

I am not sure what would be a viable course of action, and how we can be fair to those following the rules if we can impose restrictions.

We want to be here for our posters throughs wins and losses, while making the boards a place where our posters won't get offended by what they are exposed to.
            The Game Day Thread: Year 16 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
              If it's even technically possible.

Perhaps on Gamedays, win or lose, they could make it so that only certian people can START new threads. Perhaps those with over 5000 posts, two years membership, or four bars in the CP system. Or perhaps a combination of two of those three things. That doesnt seem very fair to everyone else though.

But without doing something drastic like this, I see no way to stop people from starting new threads about each little thing they want to talk about.
              I actually like this idea JWinn even though I would be one of many affected by it. You just mean starting threads rather than posting right? I think it's a good idea and one of the best I've heard so far.

Comment

Well . . .

I believe the only course is to grin and bear it. Get too restrictive, and you soon will not have a board.

While trying not to get too "moddish," I have stepped in on a couple extreme situations, such as abuse of language, and I have turned a couple posts in. I don't think it would be out of place for some of the "senior" members to intervene occasionally, provided it is done discretely and sparingly. I would think that would help to take some of the pressure off the Mods.

If I'm wrong, I stand corrected. That's just how I see it at the time.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                  I believe the only course is to grin and bear it. Get too restrictive, and you soon will not have a board.

While trying not to get too "moddish," I have stepped in on a couple extreme situations, such as abuse of language, and I have turned a couple posts in. I don't think it would be out of place for some of the "senior" members to intervene occasionally, provided it is done discretely and sparingly. I would think that would help to take some of the pressure off the Mods.

If I'm wrong, I stand corrected. That's just how I see it at the time.

-----

I think your exactly right top! The beauty of this board is that the members tend to police themselves. Most members know the ropes, and are fairly quik to point out "errors" to others. Sometimes they can be a bit harsh, but not always. I wouldnt say it falls on just the "senior" members, but all the regulars to intervene.

I find that they/we do! And I also think that that is what makes this place what it is. Not one of those boards where you cant say anything that might be even the slightest bit offensive to anyone else. I LIKE that fans from other teams are able to come in and voice their opinions, within the CoC of course. I know you do too! I've read practically horror stories about other boards. One's where a fan from another team cant really say anything. I think it was a Charger board that this was talked about just a few weeks ago in smack here. That would really make this place suck!

As far as what goes on on Gamedays, I also agree, as I kinda said in my first post here. If your going to restrict people from posting in anyway, you defeat the entire purpose of the boards, and what they have come to mean. To me, that meaning is a FREEDOM to voice your opinion, again, within the CoC.

Reidman? Yes, I meant to only suggest that those limits be placed on STARTING a thread, not posting. However, it was just a suggestion, and upon further thought, not a very good one. Once we start down the road of limiting ourselves, where do we stop? How long do we prevent people from starting threads? A day? Two days? Wont some of them just wait to start a thread until Wednesday? That would pretty much defeat the whole purpose of such a limit.

Again, what makes this place special, in my opinion, is the freedom that we are given. We have mods, and it's clear that they have a certian guideline to follow. It may seem pretty relaxed to some, but I think that's because we do a pretty good job of behaving, and policing ourselves. We can report a post, or a member, and we can take it upon ourselves to "chat" with some of the people who need a liitle "assistance".

As has been said time & time before, one of the freedoms we have here is to ignore a post, or a member. If there's a problem, report it or ignore it, and move on. Like you said top, just grin & bear it. Not much else we can really do.

A long long time ago I said that I thought we could use a few more mods. At the time, I was reacting to what I now perceive as just offseason pent up emotions. Most of the time, there is no need for more moderators. However, on gamedays, a little help for them isnt such a bad idea.

Maybe a few deputies during the season isnt a bad idea. Any opinions on that from the mods?
                  Last edited by JWinn; 10-26-2005, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn

Maybe a few deputies during the season isnt a bad idea. Any opinions on that from the mods?
                    I don't know I was to busy trying to lock down this thread.
                    The Game Day Thread: Year 16 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

I like the deputies idea something definaltey has to be done though

Comment

Working...
                      X