"Suspended User" Custom Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Suspended User" Custom Title

As it stands, when a user is suspended for a day or two, their user title says "Banned User". This title is misleading in that it makes a user look like they are being banned from using the boards. It makes people think that a popular user may never return and it has the potential to create a whole lot of unnecessary hoopla.

My idea is that when the user is only temporarily suspended, we don't have their username show as banned, but instead as a "Suspended User". This is more accurate. It will let people know that they can expect their friends to return after a short disciplinary period and causes less overreaction. They will realize that the mods aren't being harsh and that the punishment that looks like a permaban is really only a temporary suspension of the user's account.

Situations like the recent JR, mntman thread where everyone assumed that they were permabanned could be averted.
    My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
    . Post Your Artwork .
    . . . . . . . . . . .

It's a good idea, and I'll take it one step further by adding that if it's a "Suspended User", it should say exactly how long that person is suspended for. I'm not sure how the whole banning/suspending process works (I've never been banned ) but maybe this will help remind a mod when to let the suspended user back on the boards, perhaps?

Anyway good idea Archimedes Owl, cp coming your way.

Comment

I like this idea and will notify admin and tech to see if it is feasible.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
      You should check these guys out

Comment

Very good idea Archimedes I will give you a cp in a couple hours I have already given 5.
        sigpic

Broncs All the Way Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
          I like this idea and will notify admin and tech to see if it is feasible.
          Dejavu anyone?

Admin already told me this was coded into the system, and probably couldnt be changed. But also said, if I remember right, he would look into it.
          Last edited by JWinn; 06-08-2006, 11:04 AM.

Comment

How about "Temporarily Banned User"?

Thanks to B4Bronco6 for the sig!
            RB #22 Wisconsin Badgers
            Know this above all else. This life is your only life. So while you live life, make the most of every second, minute and hour that you have. Time stops for no one. Don't stop for time. Seize the day.
            -Kobe Bryant-

Comment

How about with a temporarily banned user, it only stays between the mods, admin, and the people involved. They may be temp. banned, but no one else will know anything besides the fact that they haven't been on for a day or a week.

Their avatar and sig will stay, their title will stay how it was, and no one will know anything, unless they're perma banned.

I think that gets rid of a lot of the controversy.
              Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Good idea
                sigpic

Comment

How about having the user title The Living Legend and never worry about being banned because you never break the COC!
                  Emancipate your mind!
                  The People's Poster

Comment

It doesn't seem that this is possible with our current message board software. Technically, a "ban" is used to mean a suspension of any length -- from as little as one hour all the way to permanent. We use "suspension" sometimes to refer to bans of a temporary nature, but to the software it's all a ban.

Honestly, if a member is close enough to a banned member to deserve to know the details of that ban, they should also be close enough to know how to contact them directly outside the Boards and ask. Instead of putting the onus on the message board staff to reveal more "inside information," people should consider being a bit less concerned with other people's affairs. I don't mean to sound harsh, but I still believe the specific details of our disciplinary actions aren't really anyone else's business but the moderator staff and the individual member.

I've heard the argument that it's somehow good for the community to know such things, but I think it's the same mentaility that causes people to slow down when they pass a traffic accident that motivates most members to want to know why other members have been banned. And it's not particularly productive for us to cater to that.

Comment

Originally posted by admin
                      It doesn't seem that this is possible with our current message board software. Technically, a "ban" is used to mean a suspension of any length -- from as little as one hour all the way to permanent. We use "suspension" sometimes to refer to bans of a temporary nature, but to the software it's all a ban.

Honestly, if a member is close enough to a banned member to deserve to know the details of that ban, they should also be close enough to know how to contact them directly outside the Boards and ask. Instead of putting the onus on the message board staff to reveal more "inside information," people should consider being a bit less concerned with other people's affairs. I don't mean to sound harsh, but I still believe the specific details of our disciplinary actions aren't really anyone else's business but the moderator staff and the individual member.

I've heard the argument that it's somehow good for the community to know such things, but I think it's the same mentaility that causes people to slow down when they pass a traffic accident that motivates most members to want to know why other members have been banned. And it's not particularly productive for us to cater to that.
                      I agree, Steve...

....this whole thing about starting threads asking what happened is getting annoying.
                      Granted, I've had a few made for when I was put on sabbattical, and it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, but they give nothing back to the board in substinance.

Too bad there isn't a filter that could be instituted that would keep threads from being made that included posters' names......that would also keep 'hate' threads from starting......
                      "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                      tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                      men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rcsodak
                        I agree, Steve...

....this whole thing about starting threads asking what happened is getting annoying.
                        Granted, I've had a few made for when I was put on sabbattical, and it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, but they give nothing back to the board in substinance.

Too bad there isn't a filter that could be instituted that would keep threads from being made that included posters' names......that would also keep 'hate' threads from starting......
                        But what about all my precious congrats threads? That's the only time I EVER make threads...

I get curious about what happened to members that get banned because I am curious as to where those lines are for the mods and Admin. I've never recieved a warning... so I don't know what it's like.

But yeah... I can see that as being similar to a 'slow down for a wreck' mindset.

I understand the policy and I respect it.
                        Thanks, Reid!
                        sigpic
                        Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by rcsodak
                          I agree, Steve...

How about that whole "free speach" thing we're all forgetting. We should be allowed to express our dislike of some of the decisions that are made on this board.

But if someone is banned I think the people have a right to know somewhat, especially if there isn't a CLEAR violation of the COC, as I have seen many times before. Again, this is just my opinion, I think the suspended user thing is a good idea, just so it doesn't cause strife on the boards.

After all, when the people pass a car accident and one of their friends is involved, I think they'll stop and want to know what happened...

Comment

Working...
                          X