Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VBulletin 5.0 - Feedback, Glitches, Etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by L.M. View Post

So it's the same amount of points, interesting. And now there's no limit to how many posts you can like in one day, which means people can boost each others reputations all day long to help each other achieve rank --something that was previously considered an abuse of the system. Can likes be limited for each member?

But what does it matter and what perks does rank have anymore? Are the hidden sections still restricted to lower ranked members? Sig size and avatar size used to be a thing -can that be controlled/restored to what it was? And I still think we need a dislike button. We will inevitably see more awful posts which barely skirt the CoC and we'll just have to stand by and watch them get likes from fellow trolls or haters and nothing else?
    This will no doubt devalue the CP related currency if limits can not be applied. Apparently it was the new folks who were working together to improve the status of their buds. This will essentially be not much different, except it will be coming from folks who have been here for a while, and with much larger points to award. Not necessarily blatant either, and probably often without even thinking about it (hey, I pressed "like" and it allowed me). Basically it will change the meaning/value of CP imo. Popularity over merit, although I suspect that's not a totally new concept. Over the years we were discouraged from "seeking" CPs, which I agreed with, but things are vastly changed if limits can not be enforced. Again, members will do as they do, because they can. We can't remember how many times we liked others' posts.

Whatever....if it can not be limited, I would just let it fly (what else can any of us do, including mods?), and take it for what it's worth. Better than a negative environment.
    Last edited by CanDB; 10-09-2020, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

This will no doubt devalue the CP related currency if limits can not be applied. Apparently it was the new folks who were working together to improve the status of their buds. This will essentially be not much different, except it will be coming from folks who have been here for a while, and with much larger points to award. Not necessarily blatant either, and probably often without even thinking about it (hey, I pressed "like" and it allowed me). Basically it will change the meaning/value of CP imo. Popularity over merit, although I suspect that's not a totally new concept. Over the years we were discouraged from "seeking" CPs, which I agreed with, but things are vastly changed if limits can not be enforced. Again, members will do as they do, because they can. We can't remember how many times we liked others' posts.

Whatever....if it can not be limited, I would just let it fly (what else can any of us do, including mods?), and take it for what it's worth. Better than a negative environment.
      As you well know, it’s all about post count anyway lol

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

As you well know, it’s all about post count anyway lol
        I know....one day I'm going to get serious about my lack of posting.

Comment

Send me a like and I'll check........ha ha.

Seriously....when I click on the number, it moves to the like button, and of course hitting that tells you that you can not like yourself or words to that effect. Cmon, I kinda like myself.
          Same for me too.

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Snake Fan View Post

Sam, if you are not in the habit of deleting you may have built up a cache of Temp Internet Files,
            parts of old files from registry changes. Anything you mouse over is stored as TIF, every photo
            and every page of text etc. It can really accumulate over time slow down your device considerably.

Depending on the OS you use, ther are ways to delete cookies and TIF etc.
            However, Microsoft, Chrome, Apple etc.will not let some data be deleted using their protocol.
            They will tell you that you are clean but you're not. They keep a lot of your data.
            I found this out the hard way a long time ago.

I use CCleaner now and I check every single box under Window and Applications.
            CCleaner will also clean out old fragments of files in your Registry.
            I have been using CCleaner(the free version only) since before I joined this board.
            Never had a problem. I clean my device several times a day and it just takes seconds.

Your first time will take a while if you have a massive cache of Temporary Internet Files.
            I also use FF as my browser, no problems with that either.
            CCleaner offers a pro version but there is a fee, I only use the free version; good nuff for me.

https://www.ccleaner.com/

Thanks for trying to help me. I downloaded the CCleaner, but couldn't run it because it's not compatible with Chromebook OS. I figured out how to clean out the cookies by going into the OS. Seems to have worked. Appreciate your help.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by Peerless View Post

Sam - did you try and delete cookies from your computer and internet browsers?
              Figured out how to do it. Thanks for the suggestion!
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaws View Post

Same for me too.
                I tried to click on the number of likes and it still does not work.

I am making the assumption that this is the same basic structure as Orange Mane. If so, maybe we have some contacts there???? Just an assumption/suggestion. That's all.

(George had some good reflexes!!)

Comment

• Such a relief.....not having to open my notifications to see some redness. Refreshing.

I did learn something though, how to get someone to sign their negs. I'll file that.

Comment

• I do have a question....I see a click box next to the # of posts in this thread, but only for my posts. I assume it is for posts other than mine. Maybe I messed up something.

If I click right on the post # for any other member, it opens a box saying "Share this post by copying and pasting the link below". Not sure if this is the extent of the functionality, or that the box I mention as missing is what we should be seeing.

Thx!

Comment

Just curious what is the negative effect of people pushing up their friends status?

I used the CP system as a social tool to send certain messages (never sent a neg) but it would seem anyone who really wants can use it to boost the status of their friends. I suppose it is just easier now?
                      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post

Just curious what is the negative effect of people pushing up their friends status?

I used the CP system as a social tool to send certain messages (never sent a neg) but it would seem anyone who really wants can use it to boost the status of their friends. I suppose it is just easier now?
                        I was not aware of it when it happened, so others can speak to this better than I, but my understanding was that some newer members were CPing their buds with regularity to get them into the Locker Room, as an example. Again, please correct me if I heard wrong. If I got this right, it devalued the validity at which to earn additional benefits as a member. It minimized the level of credibility to get into places with more serious topics. That sort of thing. It may sound "so what'ish", but I believe that was the logic.

I used to care much more about my status, and I still appreciate when folks take the time to honour me with a positive response to something they feel was of some benefit. If folks want to "like" everything their friends do, that's not up to me to challenge. But, my opinion is, don't put too much light on status if that be the case. In other parts of my life, "likes" are almost exclusively used to support family/friends, and over the smallest of things. I get that, and I do like that. But in my opinion it's become a little too much to do with the instant gratification world we live in, and I am concerned how so many young folks are growing up worrying about their status and such. FOMO and status (or lack thereof).

I'm way off topic.

Comment

I tried to click on the number of likes and it still does not work.

I am making the assumption that this is the same basic structure as Orange Mane. If so, maybe we have some contacts there???? Just an assumption/suggestion. That's all.

(George had some good reflexes!!)
                          I don't know if we have any contacts at the OM, but we have an excellent tech team and they are working directly with vBulletin. They've already done a ton of tweaks, it just takes time to get to everything. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                          I do have a question....I see a click box next to the # of posts in this thread, but only for my posts. I assume it is for posts other than mine. Maybe I messed up something.

If I click right on the post # for any other member, it opens a box saying "Share this post by copying and pasting the link below". Not sure if this is the extent of the functionality, or that the box I mention as missing is what we should be seeing.

Thx!
                          I know what the little box means to mods and admins. My guess is that it's for members to be able to delete their own post. What we see and what members see is different and I can't access our test account right now.
                          Administrator
                          sigpic

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer - Adopted Bronco: Phillip Lindsay

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• Originally posted by Peanut View Post

I don't know if we have any contacts at the OM, but we have an excellent tech team and they are working directly with vBulletin. They've already done a ton of tweaks, it just takes time to get to everything. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I know what the little box means to mods and admins. My guess is that it's for members to be able to delete their own post. What we see and what members see is different and I can't access our test account right now.
                            Thx and thx! And I have no doubt that you have an excellent team. Just a suggestion. I support you folks especially given that you had no other real option, and I am not in a hurry to get all questions answered. Some complained about the upgrade, but I am already good with it.

The latter point was me trying to do a multi quote. I was reading your instruction and thought that was the click part. Can I ask.....what do you click on to multi quote again. I like that feature and I did not do it correctly when I tried, though I instantly checked into the other click box I mention.
                            Last edited by CanDB; 10-10-2020, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Thx and thx! And I have no doubt that you have an excellent team. Just a suggestion.

The latter point was me trying to do a multi quote. I was reading your instruction and thought that was the click part. Can I ask.....what do you click on to multi quote again. I like that feature and I did not do it correctly when I tried, though I instantly checked into the other click box I mention.
                              There's an orange button at the top left corner, Post Reply. Click on the quote buttons from all the posts you want to quote (like you did for mine). The number in the Post Reply button should equal the number of posts you clicked. When you are done selecting, click on the orange Post Reply button. It should put all of them into the text box.

I hope that works for you. Let me know if I can help with anything else.
                              Administrator
                              sigpic

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer - Adopted Bronco: Phillip Lindsay

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Thx and thx! And I have no doubt that you have an excellent team. Just a suggestion. I support you folks especially given that you had no other real option, and I am not in a hurry to get all questions answered. Some complained about the upgrade, but I am already good with it.

I like it too.

Comment

Working...
                                X