Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thread control

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thread control

    All right, i've been trying to browse the forums lately to gauge opinions on the offseasons but its really kind of impossible.. Why, because of the over 50-100 threads made per day, most usually on the same subject. Now i realize its hard to control what with the huge amount of poster's, but isn't at least possible for you guys to at least stop posting each and every opinion you deem original into a new thread and instead post them into a thread who's subject falls in line with what your opinion is on.
    Blet

  • #2
    Originally posted by OrangePeel
    All right, i've been trying to browse the forums lately to gauge opinions on the offseasons but its really kind of impossible.. Why, because of the over 50-100 threads made per day, most usually on the same subject. Now i realize its hard to control what with the huge amount of poster's, but isn't at least possible for you guys to at least stop posting each and every opinion you deem original into a new thread and instead post them into a thread who's subject falls in line with what your opinion is on.
    I know what you are talking about, and I agree. But it's something we have to just deal with.

    The mods do their best to merge threads that co-incite with each other but they cant do them all.

    It would take a lot of man power to merge all those threads that keep popping up with the same topic discussion.

    Not to mention time.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      c'mon OP, asking people to control themselves?? what do you think they are, a bunch of adults??






      i'm with ya all the way-- personally, i'd like to see a lot more merging done. . . .
      Officially Objectified by the GPA

      rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by OrangePeel
        All right, i've been trying to browse the forums lately to gauge opinions on the offseasons but its really kind of impossible.. Why, because of the over 50-100 threads made per day, most usually on the same subject. Now i realize its hard to control what with the huge amount of poster's, but isn't at least possible for you guys to at least stop posting each and every opinion you deem original into a new thread and instead post them into a thread who's subject falls in line with what your opinion is on.
        amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
        Adopted player Lindsey

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dogfish
          c'mon OP, asking people to control themselves?? what do you think they are, a bunch of adults??






          i'm with ya all the way-- personally, i'd like to see a lot more merging done. . . .
          It's tough to decide what to merge, even assuming we see every post that is the same topic as another. When they are similar we have to determine if there is enough of a different slant on a topic that it should remain separate from the others.

          Trust me, we get a LOT of whining by people feeling we unfairly merged THEIR threads, THEIR important take on the subject, into somebody else's thread. So we try to avoid being too liberal with the merging unless it's a clear-cut mergable thread. And even then the merging will vary a bit from mod to mod. Again, we also have to read enough of a particular forum to realize that the thread is already being discussed elsewhere and we can't always read every thread.

          If anyone notices a lot of threads on the same topic, feel free to report it. But please don't report just the occasional duplication as they would pile up in our inboxes way too fast.
          "You can't take the sky from me..."
          ------
          "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

          Comment


          • #6
            how about the fifteen different condolence threads in the Nash forum. Why cant they be merged?
            Last edited by Saddletramp; 02-26-2007, 08:38 PM.
            [URL=http://s93.photobucket.com/user/Saddletramp69/media/asdf.jpg.html][/URL
            Adopted player Lindsey

            Comment


            • #7
              In most cases I enjoy the diversity. Some are obviously the same subject. If you think a thread should be merged just report it to the Mods and let them decide.

              It's not like they have enough to do already anyway.

              There are two kinds of teams in the AFCW; The losers and the Broncos!!!

              I Support our Troops!
              How do you expect me to have a RED WHITE and BLUE sig when the background is obnoxious white?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Javalon
                It's tough to decide what to merge, even assuming we see every post that is the same topic as another. When they are similar we have to determine if there is enough of a different slant on a topic that it should remain separate from the others.

                Trust me, we get a LOT of whining by people feeling we unfairly merged THEIR threads, THEIR important take on the subject, into somebody else's thread. So we try to avoid being too liberal with the merging unless it's a clear-cut mergable thread. And even then the merging will vary a bit from mod to mod. Again, we also have to read enough of a particular forum to realize that the thread is already being discussed elsewhere and we can't always read every thread.

                If anyone notices a lot of threads on the same topic, feel free to report it. But please don't report just the occasional duplication as they would pile up in our inboxes way too fast.


                make it easy-- take the decision making out of it. . . . when in doubt, merge!






                let 'em whine all they want. . . .



                i know, i know. . . . easy for ME to say!



                Officially Objectified by the GPA

                rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Saddletramp
                  how about the fifteen different condolence threads in the Nash forum. Why cant they be merged?
                  Well, that's pretty much the whole point of that forum.

                  Now if there are two threads on what jersey number he wore, or something mundane like that, those will be merged. Just as they were in the DW forum.

                  The memorial forums are set up so people can express their grief, and the moderating in them is very light compared to other forums.

                  Excepting arguments, and that sort of thing. We havent even had a spammer in either of those forums. Yet.

                  Most of the moderating in those forums have just been moving threads into them, or out of them. I moved one today from one to the other. Other than grant a few stickies, that's it for the new one though. At least for me.

                  We dont have any plans to touch people's new threads expressing their grief.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Javalon
                    It's tough to decide what to merge, even assuming we see every post that is the same topic as another. When they are similar we have to determine if there is enough of a different slant on a topic that it should remain separate from the others.

                    Trust me, we get a LOT of whining by people feeling we unfairly merged THEIR threads, THEIR important take on the subject, into somebody else's thread. So we try to avoid being too liberal with the merging unless it's a clear-cut mergable thread. And even then the merging will vary a bit from mod to mod. Again, we also have to read enough of a particular forum to realize that the thread is already being discussed elsewhere and we can't always read every thread.

                    If anyone notices a lot of threads on the same topic, feel free to report it. But please don't report just the occasional duplication as they would pile up in our inboxes way too fast.

                    And we get a fair amount of that already. We have members who take it upon them selves to report duplicate threads regularly.

                    But like us, even they dont read thru every thread.

                    Sometimes a thread is reported as a duplicate, and by the time I get to it, I decide it's a totally different conversation than the one it would have been merged with. At that point, merging would just ruin both conversations. Not everyone uses the quotes to keep conversations organized.

                    Just one possible reason a thread might not get merged.

                    Like Javalon said, report one that really needs to be merged. If it's not critical, lol, try PMing a mod you see online, or try one of us cloked ones. If we just posted, odds are we are still here.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      When i was first here the merges got annoying but im used to it now and stuff.

                      But During the Reg season why didnt we have a Jake vs Jay forum so we can post our opinions jk

                      Sometimes the merges get out of control but Its all for a good cause
                      and keeps things nice and organized so i cant complain unlike some sites where you talk about Movies and stuff in the same forum that you talk about Sports
                      and then theres 50 threads on 1 thing.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        its not just merger's, the problem starts with a new thread being created. I am on another forum, it is quite a bit smaller, but it is alot easier to browse because most new threads are on specific articles of information and events. On here, for example you could make ONE thread that is called "NFL Combine Discussion". Not 20 "So and So ran this 40 time" those threads need to be phased out completely, not merged, locked or deleted, not because of some wrong doing, but because there is already another topic about the same matter that it belongs in.
                        Blet

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm with Dog on this. OP, you're trying to get people to behave in a logical and orderly fashion.

                          And we all know how well logic goes down on these boards..



                          That said, good to see you man! Hey, I posted your pic in the Player Look Alike thread!
                          President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter




                          formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
                          I adopted Skywalker

                          I have been adopted by Chris Wade

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by OrangePeel
                            its not just merger's, the problem starts with a new thread being created. I am on another forum, it is quite a bit smaller, but it is alot easier to browse because most new threads are on specific articles of information and events. On here, for example you could make ONE thread that is called "NFL Combine Discussion". Not 20 "So and So ran this 40 time" those threads need to be phased out completely, not merged, locked or deleted, not because of some wrong doing, but because there is already another topic about the same matter that it belongs in.

                            That SOUNDS resonable enough.

                            However, you forget that if I start deleting people threads ad or posts, even though they are a repeat, those people will either 1. Throw a fit in a PM to one of us, or 2, throw a fit openly, probably right here in Feedback.

                            If I did as you suggest for example, I would have to explain to each person I deleted a post of why I did so. They would hound me, accuse me of using my power unfairly, of being personal, of playing favorites, of any number of things I probably havent even thought of.

                            It's just true. They would.

                            Lets use an example.

                            Anna Nicole died. Just using a topic several people tried to "break" here. There must have been 6 or 7 of them. I merged them all into one thread. Now your right, there are several posts in there that are clearly repeat posts. All breaking the news to us, some with the same links I think even.

                            So as it is, we have a thread with several posts all saying essentially the exact same thing. Totally redundant. You might think some of them would have chosen to forgo the embarrasment of having their breaking news end up being the 23rd post in a thread, and deleted their posts, but none of them did. (At least I dont think they did. I havent been back there since I merged the last one.)

                            Why? Who knows, lol.

                            But I KNOW one thing. If I had deleted them as you suggest, they ALL would have complained about it. Even though they were an hour, or in one case, an entire DAY late, they would have wanted at the very least an explanation.

                            I dont have the time to tell 6 people why their post was deleted. All on the same subject. My PM box will fill up, and every mod's e-mail boxes will fill up with reports demanding an explanation.

                            So I just merge them. They are still happy they broke their news, and I can move on to other things. Like something I am interested in.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              ^^
                              You can just act like you didnt see the thread

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X