Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the Kansas City Chiefs?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What are the Kansas City Chiefs?

    So what are we to make of the fiasco we call the Kansas City Chiefs? Are they really any good? Can this past year still be called a success story?

    Here is my take: I've heard all year how the Chiefs are a farce. That they only can beat bad teams and if/when they play a good team they will lose. I didn't want to admit it and stood against that point of view all year but in light of what happened in that playoff game and looking back at their record I am forced to agree with the farce argument. They obviously were made to look better than they are by playing a bunch of sub-standard teams and a bunch of backup quarterbacks. The Defense was figured out in the middle of the season and Bob Sutton never adjusted. He remained predictable.....even in the all important playoff game. I can't pin it all on players. Sure they had terrible injuries in the playoff game....but they showed that they have good backups that are capable of making plays in that game against the Chargers. I have to think that while the coaching was good this year....that coaching ultimately failed when it mattered. They were 2-14 a year ago and maybe we all expected too much out of them after that 9-0 start that has to be called a farce. If they had a tougher schedule they still would have improved but it would have been more realistic....like 8-8. Now what? They will have a tougher schedule next year...and we are going to expect them to improve on this year. Are they set up to fail now? They are 11-5 but in reality they are not as good as that makes them look. I don't have faith in the defensive coordinator because he failed to adjust and not just in the playoff game. You have to be able to adjust. I was worried that the Chiefs would lose when they were up by four touchdowns because of that reason....no lie! I watched my fears become reality and was disgusted but not really surprised. Reid's play calling in the second half of games is suspect as well.

    So back to that question....are the Kansas City Chiefs a success story or a failure. I have to call them a failure. I have to pin that failure on coaching. I have to wonder if coaching is capable of learning from their mistakes. They had weeks to learn during the season and post season and failed to do so....will one off-season make any difference?

  • #2
    I think maybe you're being too hard on your team. That was a brutal loss and I feel bad for the Chiefs' fan base, but I think it's unfair to label the team a "failure," and I definitely don't think you can fully blame that game on the coaching. In fact, I kept waiting for the trademark Andy Reid playoff meltdown, but it never really happened.

    Look at it objectively, man. Your team was on the road in a tough environment. They lost their best player (BY FAR) 6 plays into the game. They had a host of other significant injuries that definitely altered the contest--you can point to several plays where the outcome would almost certainly have been better for the Chiefs if Fisher, Flowers, or Houston had been in for that play. But despite all of that, the coaching staff got the most out of the backups and played a great game. Don't forget that the Chiefs were one Intentional Grounding call away from having a great chance to win. Even on that final 4th and 11 play, a slightly better throw and/or slightly better balance from Bowe to stay in bounds probably results not only in a first down, but in a go-ahead touchdown.

    Overall, this was an epic, all-time classic playoff game between two very good teams. The Chiefs came out on the short end but I though it showed a lot of heart and determination by the players and coaches that they overcame all of the injuries and still kept it so competitive. You can feel bad about the loss--but I don't think it's fair to yourself or the team to label them an abject failure. Remember that this same squad went from 2-14 last year to 11-5 this season! I think Chiefs fans should be proud of their team and excited for their future.

    Comment


    • #3
      A little of both.

      Not as good as the 9-0 record but not as bad as they showed lately.

      But that loss stings, how do you not run the ball and grind out the rest of the game. I know they were without Charles but Davis was running well.

      Comment


      • #4
        They were really only embarrased once, the first Indy game. And you gotta think about the"good" teams that dropped 1 to a team they shouldnt. At least the Chiefs took care of the weak teams like they should have. I take this season as a sucess. But 1 and done wont be good enough for me next year. They were exactly what I expected out of them this year, an above average team.

        Comment


        • #5
          The problem I have is that as much as I hate to admit it....they did not beat an above average team. They lost every time. EVERY TIME! That should say something.....and it does....and it is not complementary to the Chiefs. You know....I could have taken this latest loss a lot better if it had not been for the fact that they threw away a game that should have been in the bag. It was in the bag!!! A 4 touchdown lead in the 3rd Qtr.....and you blow it? There is something very wrong. There was no defense in that game. That is where the problem starts. If you can't win with a 4 touchdown lead then you are not good. I saw them blow a big lead in the season too. Can't remember where....but it was what made me uncomfortable even with the 4 touchdown lead. The Chiefs were just a bad joke this year. A cruel joke. If they don't do something about that defense then they will be again. Mark my words.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by obi-groo View Post
            So what are we to make of the fiasco we call the Kansas City Chiefs? Are they really any good? Can this past year still be called a success story?

            Here is my take: I've heard all year how the Chiefs are a farce. That they only can beat bad teams and if/when they play a good team they will lose. I didn't want to admit it and stood against that point of view all year but in light of what happened in that playoff game and looking back at their record I am forced to agree with the farce argument. They obviously were made to look better than they are by playing a bunch of sub-standard teams and a bunch of backup quarterbacks. The Defense was figured out in the middle of the season and Bob Sutton never adjusted. He remained predictable.....even in the all important playoff game. I can't pin it all on players. Sure they had terrible injuries in the playoff game....but they showed that they have good backups that are capable of making plays in that game against the Chargers. I have to think that while the coaching was good this year....that coaching ultimately failed when it mattered. They were 2-14 a year ago and maybe we all expected too much out of them after that 9-0 start that has to be called a farce. If they had a tougher schedule they still would have improved but it would have been more realistic....like 8-8. Now what? They will have a tougher schedule next year...and we are going to expect them to improve on this year. Are they set up to fail now? They are 11-5 but in reality they are not as good as that makes them look. I don't have faith in the defensive coordinator because he failed to adjust and not just in the playoff game. You have to be able to adjust. I was worried that the Chiefs would lose when they were up by four touchdowns because of that reason....no lie! I watched my fears become reality and was disgusted but not really surprised. Reid's play calling in the second half of games is suspect as well.

            So back to that question....are the Kansas City Chiefs a success story or a failure. I have to call them a failure. I have to pin that failure on coaching. I have to wonder if coaching is capable of learning from their mistakes. They had weeks to learn during the season and post season and failed to do so....will one off-season make any difference?
            thank you Jesus H obi-groo. you can get back on your cross now. ill inform the fan base here we have yet another messiah to bow down to. your right. 11-5 is a bad record. and we'll try to do better for you next year. amen

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kcvet View Post
              thank you Jesus H obi-groo. you can get back on your cross now. ill inform the fan base here we have yet another messiah to bow down to. your right. 11-5 is a bad record. and we'll try to do better for you next year. amen
              Whatever that means. Yeah...I was a bit negative. Maybe I'm being unfair. I should look at the bright side. Sure an 11-5 record is fantastic in comparison to a 2-14 record. I fully admit that they did well....in the first half of the season. After that they looked more like that 2-14 team....but as a whole....much better job. However....I am past doing well in the regular season and losing the 1st game in the playoffs. What really is unacceptable is a 4 touchdown lead in the 3rd qtr and then caving and losing the game. Yea I am mad. Yes I am disgusted. Yes I demand at the very least a playoff win. After 20 years I don't think I am being unreasonable. But yes....I should just shut up and look at how great it is to be 11-5. Woo Hoo!!! I'll think about how great it is all during the Super Bowl.

              Now that my rant is over....yes....I am encouraged and hopeful for next year. I expect it to be great. For 20 years I have expected it to be great.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by obi-groo View Post
                Whatever that means. Yeah...I was a bit negative. Maybe I'm being unfair. I should look at the bright side. Sure an 11-5 record is fantastic in comparison to a 2-14 record. I fully admit that they did well....in the first half of the season. After that they looked more like that 2-14 team....but as a whole....much better job. However....I am past doing well in the regular season and losing the 1st game in the playoffs. What really is unacceptable is a 4 touchdown lead in the 3rd qtr and then caving and losing the game. Yea I am mad. Yes I am disgusted. Yes I demand at the very least a playoff win. After 20 years I don't think I am being unreasonable. But yes....I should just shut up and look at how great it is to be 11-5. Woo Hoo!!! I'll think about how great it is all during the Super Bowl.

                Now that my rant is over....yes....I am encouraged and hopeful for next year. I expect it to be great. For 20 years I have expected it to be great.
                the main reason we lost is because the DC Sutton had us in the prevent instead of the the attack like the first half. in our opinion he's gotta go.

                Comment


                • #9
                  you have a good team going forward, really tough loss though. it will say a lot about your team if you can bounce back and do damage in the playoffs next year.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I was watching the KC game yesterday…. that would be so disappointing for those who are fans to lose such a huge lead. You have a good team, and I expect them to be big competition next season as well. I fully expect to see KC back in the playoffs next year.
                    sigpic
                    Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 :nono: to every player he covers
                    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                    Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I was shaking my head after that loss,Wow!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by obi-groo View Post
                        Whatever that means. Yeah...I was a bit negative. Maybe I'm being unfair. I should look at the bright side. Sure an 11-5 record is fantastic in comparison to a 2-14 record. I fully admit that they did well....in the first half of the season. After that they looked more like that 2-14 team....but as a whole....much better job. However....I am past doing well in the regular season and losing the 1st game in the playoffs. What really is unacceptable is a 4 touchdown lead in the 3rd qtr and then caving and losing the game. Yea I am mad. Yes I am disgusted. Yes I demand at the very least a playoff win. After 20 years I don't think I am being unreasonable. But yes....I should just shut up and look at how great it is to be 11-5. Woo Hoo!!! I'll think about how great it is all during the Super Bowl.

                        Now that my rant is over....yes....I am encouraged and hopeful for next year. I expect it to be great. For 20 years I have expected it to be great.

                        That I understand! They dont call us the chocks for nothing. The Chiefs have a huge history of finding a way to lose in the playoffs. Ive been a Chiefs fan for many, many years, I feel your pain.But all we can really hope for is next year. Chin up, man:thumb:

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Repeating history. Chiefs do it in the playoffs, Broncos do it wearing Orange in SB.
                          sigpic
                          What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X