UConn and the fake fair catch. Bull!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UConn and the fake fair catch. Bull!?

That was uncalled for and shouldn't be legalized.

Absolutely stupid!!!!!!!!!!

Some trick plays I understand but that one was just outrageous!

No I am not a Louisville fan either. I am an Ohio State fan so I am neutral.

But that was just infuriating to watch! :shake:

And if you did not see it this is what happened:
    There was a punt, and the UConn player got back and positioned to catch the punt. He fakes the fair catch by waving his hand in the air but not voer his head, but instead to the side. Apparently a fair catch must be voer your head and since it was off to the side it was legal. Louisville players stopped and UConn just ran in for the score...
    MMA News
    MMA News 247

Thats not a bull play, thats a fair, trick play. Louisville players should have been paying more attention to their surroundings.
    sigpic

Comment

Trick plays are just that - used to TRICK the other team -

Its no different than Shannys time out

A fair catch, from what I heard them say, has to be at least two waves of the hand - hand must go back and forth - his only went once - I saw the replay

Cause yes Im a Uconn fan - even the crappy football team

And give us a break - our football team has sucked soooooooo bad, we could use a break here n there

Comment

Originally posted by orangenblue420 View Post
        Trick plays are just that - used to TRICK the other team -

Its no different than Shannys time out

A fair catch, from what I heard them say, has to be at least two waves of the hand - hand must go back and forth - his only went once - I saw the replay

Cause yes Im a Uconn fan - even the crappy football team

And give us a break - our football team has sucked soooooooo bad, we could use a break here n there
        Isn't UConn undefeated this year?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BVP View Post
          Isn't UConn undefeated this year?
          6-1 (2-0 Big East) Not exactly a powerhouse football division

Hate to admit it but if we played OU or TX or even OSU we'd prolly get our arses kicked

We play #11 South FL this week though - former #1 - so it may be a good chance to prove ourselves if we have something

Dont get to see many games - this one is supposed to be national - we will see

Comment

Yes..And the fake spike should be illegal as well..

Fair play man..You got to have your guard up at all times..I didnt see the play, but shouldnt the Lousiville players atleast a couple of them ran up to the PR incase he muffed it? Or did they just start walking towards the sideline when he faked the fair catch? If thats the case those players should not be playing football, anything can happen on a PR, and ther should know that..
            WE ARE WHO THEY THOUGHT WE WERE

Comment

Originally posted by dandaman23 View Post

Fair play man..You got to have your guard up at all times..I didnt see the play, but shouldnt the Lousiville players atleast a couple of them ran up to the PR incase he muffed it? Or did they just start walking towards the sideline when he faked the fair catch? If thats the case those players should not be playing football, anything can happen on a PR, and ther should know that..

Good point dan - you usually see an opposing player at least run up as close as he can to the PR just to try and make him muff, even on a fair catch play - even if the PR sees you running towards him you can shake him up enough to make him muff it - no ones fault but louisville's

Comment

Originally posted by champbronc2 View Post
                That was uncalled for and shouldn't be legalized.

Absolutely stupid!!!!!!!!!!

Some trick plays I understand but that one was just outrageous!

No I am not a Louisville fan either. I am an Ohio State fan so I am neutral.

But that was just infuriating to watch! :shake:

And if you did not see it this is what happened:
                There was a punt, and the UConn player got back and positioned to catch the punt. He fakes the fair catch by waving his hand in the air but not voer his head, but instead to the side. Apparently a fair catch must be voer your head and since it was off to the side it was legal. Louisville players stopped and UConn just ran in for the score...
                i saw the replay on espn

i dont know what side im on
                cuz what espn said the pr went up to the official before the ball was kicked and told him what he was doing.

if the official didnt know that he was doing that would/wouldnt he blow the play dead when teh pr put his hand up???
                it is kinda the same thing that shanny did but i think this particular rule needs to go.

there was a defender up in the pr grill when he caught the ball but he didnt hit em cuz he saw the arm fly up.

its a legal play this year so its a good play. i dont think that the players should be allowed to go up to the official and tell them what they are doing n what to watch for cuz that keeps the officials on your side and this guy could of blown the whistle if he didnt realize the arm wasnt over the head.

im not a fan of any college team so i have nothing to gain either way
                sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

Originally posted by SM19
                  Isn't there supposed to be a penalty for an illegal fair catch signal? I know Rod Smith was called for that in Super Bowl XXXII.

If they've done away with that penalty, then it's a fair play and Louisville should have been paying better attention. If they haven't, I have to think the official missed the call.
                  it wasnt illegal the rules state that a fair catch signal needs the arm above the head. the player went to the official and told him he was going to put his arm on the side and fake a fair catch call, he threw his arm out and not over his head the official didnt blow the whistle. the defender stopped in front of the pr not touching him. the pr then up the field and scored a td.

its legal to wave your arm not over your head. thats what he did

here's the play
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbRdZZ1kfag

he waived his arm to the side they say which is legal, after looking at it again his arm sure does go over his head
                  Last edited by saltybuggah; 10-23-2007, 05:04 PM.
                  sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

Rule 2.7.1 clearly states that a "valid or invalid fair catch signal deprives the receiving team of the opportunity to advance the ball".

2.7.2 states that the hand has to be above his head and wave from "side to side".

The invalid signal used to be a 5 yard penalty, but they changed that in 2003. Now if you make an invalid signal the are supposed to just call it a fair catch even though you didn't do the signal right.

Louisville got robbed. It wasn't a trick play, it was a bad call.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by dandaman23 View Post

that's different though. because with a fake spike, you can see the ball is still clearly in play. whereas with a fake fair catch, you don't know even after it is done that the play is over or not. a fake fair catch signal is way too similar to a real fair catch signal. i think it's a ***** move and that the other team shoulda sent a message by just destroying the returner the next punt, whether he called a fair catch or not

Comment

I thought it was fair only if the hand went above the shoulder?
                        11/6/11 - The day the Oakland Raiders got raptured!

Comment

Working...
                        X